PDA

View Full Version : Help ID 357 Pro Series.

Cory
04-16-2020, 03:54 PM
My mom keeps this in a drawer in her office. Right now it has 357s in it. What 38 round would be best for lower recoil and maintain adequate terminal performance?

Obviously it's a Smith and Wesson 357 Pro Series. Can anyone tell me what model? I haven't shot it, but I dig the size I think.

Thanks guys.

-Cory

jws
04-16-2020, 04:06 PM
Looks like the Model 60 Pro. I’ve always thought they were neat little guns and have thought about picking one up but haven’t yet. They are a j-frame with a 3” barrel and some additional work to make it a pro model. As far as ammo goes, I think the usual suggestions are Speer Gold Dot 135gr .38 Special +p and Winchester Ranger Bonded 130 for .38 special +p.
Full wadcutters like Federal 148gr Gold Medal Match should shoot pretty soft in it. I’m currently using Precision One .38 Special wadcutters (https://precisiononeammunition.com/product/38-special-148gr-cpwc-new/) in my 442.

rd62
04-16-2020, 05:31 PM
If you look on the frame inside the milled recess for the cylinder crane you can see where its stamped as a model 60-15

Cory
04-16-2020, 05:45 PM
If you look on the frame inside the milled recess for the cylinder crane you can see where its stamped as a model 60-15

I didn't know that was a model. Is that where most models are marked? I thought models were all 3 digit numbers like 442, 637, and stuff like that. I feel kind of dumb now. I just seriously don't know much about revolvers. I'm trying to slowly learn.

-Cory

jws
04-16-2020, 05:51 PM
Here is a good primer on .38 and .357 S&W revolvers:

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/guide-sw-38-357-revolvers/

rd62
04-16-2020, 05:53 PM
I didn't know that was a model. Is that where most models are marked? I thought models were all 3 digit numbers like 442, 637, and stuff like that. I feel kind of dumb now. I just seriously don't know much about revolvers. I'm trying to slowly learn.

-Cory

Yes sir. In my limited experience with S&W they are marked there. I'm at the edge of my lane here but the newer models tend to be 3 digits. Older are two. Revisions are noted by the number following the hyphen.

OlongJohnson
04-16-2020, 05:55 PM
We appear to be discussing one of these:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-pro-series-model-60

Bratch
04-16-2020, 06:48 PM
We discuss them here.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?34178-M60-Pro

Lester Polfus
04-16-2020, 06:48 PM
Your mom is well equipped.

I would certainly agree with your idea to put some less painful ammo in it for her. jws gave good advice there.

Your mom might benefit from some softer rubber grips too, and some dry fire practice with dummy rounds.

Lester Polfus
04-16-2020, 06:55 PM
Right now a quick search on ammo seek shows only SG ammo with the Gold Dot short barrel in stock. (https://www.sgammo.com/product/38-special-ammo/200-round-case-38-special-p-135-grain-gold-dot-hollow-point-gdhp-short-barre)

Unfortunately they only have cases of 200 listed, and not 20 round boxes. I wonder if they'll break up a case for you.

Or if you've got the dough to spare, having 200 rounds of that on hand isn't a bad thing.

Cory
04-16-2020, 06:59 PM
Your mom is well equipped.

I would certainly agree with your idea to put some less painful ammo in it for her. jws gave good advice there.

Your mom might benefit from some softer rubber grips too, and some dry fire practice with dummy rounds.

Changing grips is probably a no-no. It's for Mom and in her desk drawer... it's "hers" but belongs to her boss. He thought the billy club might not be enough, and left her this to use. He is a pretty good boss. I would think he doesn't want his gun changed much, but don't really know. Maybe I'll price them out.

She has a more than zero, but overall low risk job. She just happens to be alone most of the day. She is also an owner but not especially a shooter... I'm not sure how much interest she has. But I know the 357 will be brutal on ears and wrists if ever fired.

-Cory

Bratch
04-16-2020, 07:11 PM
I carry Federal GMM in mine. I also added a pair of Pachmayrs as suggested. The grips just screw on and off so I would not suspect her boss would be upset, let him take the Pachs as a thanks for looking out for her.

Stephanie B
04-16-2020, 07:45 PM
Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel. Winchester Ranger +P. Federal HST +P.

My roomie is recoil adverse. She has a 3" Model 60-15 with Winchester Ranger +P that she can shoot well. Add a set of CT LG-305/350s and it'd be pretty near wheelgun perfection.

Crow Hunter
04-16-2020, 09:27 PM
I carry Federal GMM in mine. I also added a pair of Pachmayrs as suggested. The grips just screw on and off so I would not suspect her boss would be upset, let him take the Pachs as a thanks for looking out for her.

I have mine setup the same way.

I actually found one of the older Talo models (.38+P version) locally that I paid too much for but it has an amazingly nice trigger on. Like very nearly as nice as my old well worn in 686-4. When I tried it I in the store, I had to have it.:rolleyes:

MUCH lighter/smoother trigger than the 66-8 that I sold recently. Also beats the tar out of the DA pull on my brother's P226 Blackhawk edition that I have around.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten to shoot it yet due to my actual abiding by my state's lockdown. :(

But all the people I don't like the look of on the TV as well as my wife's stuffed snowman decoration that hasn't been put up for the season have been grievously wounded multiple times to A-zoom snap cap shots.:cool:

HCM
04-16-2020, 09:34 PM
Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel. Winchester Ranger +P. Federal HST +P.

My roomie is recoil adverse. She has a 3" Model 60-15 with Winchester Ranger +P that she can shoot well. Add a set of CT LG-305/350s and it'd be pretty near wheelgun perfection.

If the OP's mom is not a shooter the laser grips are a great option.

I have one of these (60PRO 3') and even for me the Hogue rubber grip on mine make it SIGNIFICANTLY easier to shoot well.

As for ammo, Gold Dot .38 or Win ranger 38 would be my choice but anything .38 would be an improvement over .357 in a J frame.

03RN
04-17-2020, 05:38 AM
Those are nice looking guns.

Have they ever made one in .327? It would make a nice trail gun.

Crow Hunter
04-17-2020, 07:31 AM
Those are nice looking guns.

Have they ever made one in .327? It would make a nice trail gun.

Unfortunately no.

Even though I have been on a kick of shrinking and consolidating my armory and limiting my calibers I would SOOOO buy one if they did.:cool:

03RN
04-17-2020, 07:37 AM
Unfortunately no.

Even though I have been on a kick of shrinking and consolidating my armory and limiting my calibers I would SOOOO buy one if they did.:cool:

A single seven vaquero would be nice too with an aluminum grip frame and 4 5/8 barrel.

Duelist
04-17-2020, 09:07 AM
I have a 60-9 Ladysmith. .357 does actually functionally work, if you have the grips on the gun and the hand strength and mental attitude to do it with. 110gr JHP wasn’t as obnoxious as I assumed they were going to be, but I also only ever have fired 5 of them through it, and do not intend to do it again, nor will I ever shoot a heavier magnum through it unless I have no other options.

.38 Win Ranger +p for a bonded high performance option, or Federal GMM wadcutters for a low recoil/target practice set up both work extremely nicely. Pachmayr Compacs or Grippers work very well - I have a set of each. The 60 Pro grips might actually work, but she’d have to try it out to se if she likes it that way, and if so, may probably prefer the GMM.

Half Moon
04-17-2020, 10:10 AM
I have a 60-9 Ladysmith. .357 does actually functionally work, if you have the grips on the gun and the hand strength and mental attitude to do it with. 110gr JHP wasn’t as obnoxious as I assumed they were going to be, but I also only ever have fired 5 of them through it, and do not intend to do it again, nor will I ever shoot a heavier magnum through it unless I have no other options.

Tried a range rental 3" 60-15 a couple years back. It was surprisingly not bad with the range's 158 grain MagTech .357. Nothing I'd recommend for a novice shooter but not obnoxious either. My 640-1 by contrast tries to rip your hand off and beat you with it if you put .357 through it. Not sure if the difference is the longer barrel, slightly more weight, or the grips. Probably a combination of all three. Seriously thought about getting one but didn't really fit the right niche.