PDA

View Full Version : Some good news for wheelgun true believers: boot grips to return

Totem Polar
04-16-2020, 03:40 PM
From my inbox today, courtesy of M DeBethancourt:

Polymer Spegel Boot Grips – After countless months of negotiations, we finally brought Craig Spegel of Spegel Boot Grip fame on board with a new revolver stock project. Craig has agreed to work with us to produce a polymer copy of his classic Boot Grip. We are currently testing a number of possible polymer materials with the folks helping us with the hammer shrouds (See below). Understandably we need to identify a material that will withstand a lifetime's exposure to gun cleaning solvents and related chemicals. Once we confirm the material we will start on the new scanning.

That is all.
:)

MolonLabe416
04-16-2020, 03:58 PM
Please use your influence to have the produce the pre-war three piece S&W grip adaptors. Thanks.

okie john
04-16-2020, 05:38 PM
This is truly most excellent news.

Second the need for grip adapters, especially the older Pachmayr type. I'll donate a sample if it helps get things off the ground.

Okie John

Trooper224
04-16-2020, 07:03 PM
Oh my. If I could get a set of boot grips from my square butt S&W Model 10 snubby, I wouldn't care if this was indeed the apocalypse.

camsdaddy
04-16-2020, 07:44 PM
This is the best thing to happen to the round gun world since the reintroduction of the no lock 642.

SeriousStudent
04-16-2020, 07:48 PM
Bobo is a good dude, and has been a guest in my home. I will definitely be sending him some money. :)

okie john
04-16-2020, 08:03 PM
We are currently testing a number of possible polymer materials with the folks helping us with the hammer shrouds (See below).

Can you tell us more about the shrouds?

Okie John

RevolverRob
04-16-2020, 08:13 PM
That's great news! Because I honestly cannot be arsed to pay Craig Spegel for a set of custom grips; frankly the wait is way too long for a pair of grips and Spegel's attitude gets on my nerves.

I kind of wish he'd license his designs to VZ and just be done with it. Then we could have all the grips we actually need at a reasonable price, with good quality and quickly.

Totem Polar
04-16-2020, 08:17 PM
Folks, I’m just a dude that follows any and everything having to do with snubs. I doubt I could influence DeBethencourt to pour himself a shot of scotch—at least, not without meeting him first.
:)

As to shrouds, they’re doing moulding for retro D-frame Colt hammer shrouds. Just like mom used to make...

fatdog
04-16-2020, 09:12 PM
glad to hear it, last time I discussed the shrouds with him he was going to look into the option of 3D printing those

okie john
04-16-2020, 09:40 PM
As to shrouds, they’re doing moulding for retro D-frame Colt hammer shrouds. Just like mom used to make...

We NEED these for K-frames.

Okie John

eb07
04-16-2020, 10:03 PM
God Bless America !

Can wait.

JHC
04-17-2020, 05:50 AM
We NEED these for K-frames.

Okie John

If I am correct and these are the Boot pattern (these are the Uncle Mike's version from some years ago that were once widely available) then IMO the J frame is a very good grip but the K frame version is a GREAT grip.

Irelander
04-17-2020, 07:42 AM
Join I'm With Roscoe and get all this news from the horse's mouth.

SouthNarc
04-17-2020, 07:48 AM

You know if they stuck with revolvers that would be a good FB group but their conversations that branch into shooting and tactics are pretty dated and off putting for me personally. Willfully ignorant I have to say.

camsdaddy
04-17-2020, 07:55 AM
If I am correct and these are the Boot pattern (these are the Uncle Mike's version from some years ago that were once widely available) then IMO the J frame is a very good grip but the K frame version is a GREAT grip.

I have acquired a set of these for each of my revolvers.

19852+
04-17-2020, 08:16 AM
Great news ! With every used S&W K/L frame I get I must scour ebay to find used Speigal/Uncle Mike's grips..

jetfire
04-17-2020, 08:41 AM
You know if they stuck with revolvers that would be a good FB group but their conversations that branch into shooting and tactics are pretty dated and off putting for me personally. Willfully ignorant I have to say.

This mirrors my experience exactly. I peaced out of the group when someone was trying to lecture Darryl about police shootings with wheelguns or something.

Borderland
04-17-2020, 08:52 AM
Great news ! With every used S&W K/L frame I get I must scour ebay to find used Speigal/Uncle Mike's grips..

I have some Uncle Mike's grips on a J frame Taurus that I really like. Purchased an old model 36 and found they no longer made them. Does anyone know if these will become available again?

https://i.ibb.co/G374F8t/KGr-Hq-R-lg-E2-Ej5-Mg-y-BNq-QHMSy-g-12.jpg

Dagga Boy
04-17-2020, 11:00 AM
Hoping they use a hard material. My only complaint about the Mikes is a tad sticky in the pocket. Lighter than G10 but similar in density would be great.

csheehy
04-17-2020, 11:06 AM
I have some Uncle Mike's grips on a J frame Taurus that I really like. Purchased an old model 36 and found they no longer made them. Does anyone know if these will become available again?

https://i.ibb.co/G374F8t/KGr-Hq-R-lg-E2-Ej5-Mg-y-BNq-QHMSy-g-12.jpg

THIS.

JonInWA
04-17-2020, 11:11 AM
Hoping they use a hard material. My only complaint about the Mikes is a tad sticky in the pocket. Lighter than G10 but similar in density would be great.

I'm fine with G10; never considered it to be all that heavy-what else ya got weighting you down in your pockets, Darryl??

I'd be VERY interested in something for Rugers-GP100 and -Sixs (but figure the odds on the latter....).

Isn't VZ coming out with something for the GP100 in a little bit?

Best, Jon

RevolverRob
04-17-2020, 11:47 AM

Kind of comes with the territory of being a revolver toter to try to revert to old tactics.

I love to review old shooting manuals and books for educational purposes. And yet...my revolver is currently in a kydex holster, loaded with Speer Gold Dots, a trit night sight on it, and I practice dryfire on scaled USPSA targets...So I'm weird (you knew that already).

I'm fine with G10; never considered it to be all that heavy-what else ya got weighting you down in your pockets, Darryl??

I'd be VERY interested in something for Rugers-GP100 and -Sixs (but figure the odds on the latter....).

Best, Jon

Their grips for the SP101 are already out: https://vzgrips.com/shop/revolvers/ruger-sp101/ - I believe GP100 is next.

Duelist
04-17-2020, 11:56 AM

I used to have a set of those and didn’t keep them when I sold that model 10 I bought them for. Been kicking myself ever since.

Lex Luthier
04-17-2020, 12:58 PM
That's great news! Because I honestly cannot be arsed to pay Craig Spegel for a set of custom grips; frankly the wait is way too long for a pair of grips and Spegel's attitude gets on my nerves.

I kind of wish he'd license his designs to VZ and just be done with it. Then we could have all the grips we actually need at a reasonable price, with good quality and quickly.

I hear you, but at the same time, being a builder of bespoke items myself, I can't help but take Craig's side. The way he is doing things is pretty much the *only* way an artisan can make a living without noble patronage.
He works the same way as a bunch of high-zoot luthiers, shotgun makers, bicycle frame builders do. His sphere is right between the studio artist and the manufacturer, and it's a really hard space to consistently occupy.
The fact that he has been able to do so and with such high acclaim for 40+ years is frankly phenomenal. I'm not sure even Gary Goudy has as good a reputation.

Most of the A-level luthiers take as long or longer, and their stuff costs exponentially more. A Linda Manzer guitar? 2+ years and base price is $30k.
A-level bicycle frame builder Richard Sachs recently closed his books; he had had wait times up to 8 years at one point. $5k base price.

Most of the famed British private Gunmakers are owned by luxury conglomerates now, so not in the same class.

Still, I look forward to seeing what designs are licensed and how they come out. the model 36 in the safe might look great and perform comfortably wearing something with Spegal's design sense.

RevolverRob
04-17-2020, 01:47 PM
I hear you, but at the same time, being a builder of bespoke items myself, I can't help but take Craig's side. The way he is doing things is pretty much the *only* way an artisan can make a living without noble patronage.
He works the same way as a bunch of high-zoot luthiers, shotgun makers, bicycle frame builders do. His sphere is right between the studio artist and the manufacturer, and it's a really hard space to consistently occupy.
The fact that he has been able to do so and with such high acclaim for 40+ years is frankly phenomenal. I'm not sure even Gary Goudy has as good a reputation.

Most of the A-level luthiers take as long or longer, and their stuff costs exponentially more. A Linda Manzer guitar? 2+ years and base price is $30k.
A-level bicycle frame builder Richard Sachs recently closed his books; he had had wait times up to 8 years at one point. $5k base price.

Most of the famed British private Gunmakers are owned by luxury conglomerates now, so not in the same class.

Lex, you certainly won't get an argument from me against bespoke products or the time and effort it takes to make them.

My irritation with Spegel is two-fold.

First, he makes everything to a pattern, with minimal customization, his designs are his and the end user should just use them, because they are clearly superior (this is debatable in my opinion, I found Spegel's designs very good, but not always optimal).

Second, because he makes everything to a pattern, he does not guarantee fit to your firearm. Granted there are variances in each firearm grip frame and I understand where he is coming from to a degree, but a talented maker can account for them with simple measurements from the end user. Keith Brown does this, in addition to fitting grips to your hand.

Now in his defense, his products bring approximately 1/3-1/2 the cost of a set of Keith Browns. So you aren't paying the big money here for a set of grips. Yet Herrett's cost the same as Spegels and will be fit to your hand at least...

But to be honest, it's his attitude about the grip frame fitment and I cannot abide by someone who refuses to warranty a product that may not fit, "Because it is beyond my control" - It's true it's beyond Mr. Spegel's control for grip frame variation in the manufacturing process of the grip frame, but as an ostensible bespoke stock maker, it is well within his ability to construct an end product that fits, he simply chooses not to.

If I want to fit my own grips and modify them myself, I will choose a cheaper, off-the-shelf alternative to do so. At least that is my philosophy. I don't expect production Hogues or VZs to fit like a set of bespoke Brown's...but somewhere in-between "I waited 2-days and spent 60 bucks for these grips" and "I waited 2-years and spent 300 bucks for these grips" - I expect a slightly different level of service and fitment control.

Still, I look forward to seeing what designs are licensed and how they come out. the model 36 in the safe might look great and perform comfortably wearing something with Spegal's design sense.

As do I, because I think his designs are generally quite good and need tinkering by some end users...I couldn't wait 2-years for a set of grips and then grind them up to make them fit me. But 60 buck ones? No concerns.

Dagga Boy
04-17-2020, 02:23 PM
This mirrors my experience exactly. I peaced out of the group when someone was trying to lecture Darryl about police shootings with wheelguns or something.

I stayed in the Members only group that nobody posts in. Yea, it got to the point of like sitting at the counter of a big box store gun counter and listening to people who are repeating TV fantasy stuff.
It has happened here numerous times as well. I don’t look at 80% of this forum anymore either. I guess I have lost tolerance for a lot, and my new found happy place is “figure it out yourself”. If folks want advice and equal time from folks with zero dues paid and a life of experience based on watching.....well, enjoy the new world.

Dagga Boy
04-17-2020, 02:26 PM

Best, Jon

Better term may be less dense than the G10. It feels heavy and doesn’t do a thing for recoil absorption. I use a ton of VZ’s stuff, so it isn’t like I won’t use G10.

19852+
04-17-2020, 02:42 PM
Better term may be less dense than the G10. It feels heavy and doesn’t do a thing for recoil absorption. I use a ton of VZ’s stuff, so it isn’t like I won’t use G10.

Maybe a little judicious use of a drill to make a few holes and thus lighten things up a bit? Although I hear that G10 dust is nasty stuff.

TGS
04-17-2020, 02:44 PM

Are the products really comparable to Spegel grips, though?

Some of those things you're talking about are beautiful pieces of artwork and take insane technical skill to make it happen, as well as a significant investment of time and "capital" per item; if Spegel fucks up a grip, whatevs, throw it away and start over. If this Linda Manzer fucks up a single guitar, I'm just going to danger that is a severe financial and professional setback, possibly measured in months. The other is basically a handle from a woodworkers tool, with minimal time or technical skill required to produce. It's basic carpentry, not something you need to legitimately apprentice for years under a master.

I get that people have a hard on for Spegel grips and all, but at some point we need to pull our heads out of the clouds. Regardless of the fervor of the fan base, Spegel was not making anything comparable to a bespoke guitar or piano.

jandbj
04-17-2020, 10:00 PM
Oh my. If I could get a set of boot grips from my square butt S&W Model 10 snubby, I wouldn't care if this was indeed the apocalypse.

Same here!

HCM
04-18-2020, 12:50 AM

Unfortunately, as noted up thread, given the signal to noise ratio there, you are more likely to get it from the horse’s ass.

Poconnor
04-18-2020, 03:46 PM
I’m on spegal’s list but I hope these are available soon. I’ll get both

Michpatriot
04-18-2020, 07:13 PM
He has a high horn design for centennial j frames..Here's to hoping for this style from the new synthetic material. They really help with a high grip I hear and would snap up at least three sets of the high horns if they came out in this new material.