PDA

View Full Version : Reloading 9mm and maybe .223. I have stuff, but don't know anything

ASH556
04-16-2020, 01:37 PM
Several years back I mentioned to a good friend that I wanted to get into reloading. For my Birthday or Christmas (honestly can't remember) he gave me this box of stuff. Time and life went by and I never did anything with it. Today I got it down and, holy smokes, there's a lot of stuff in here.

Can someone tell from the pics what I have and what more I need to reload some 9mm and .223 to feed my Glocks and AR's?

https://i.imgur.com/UWYLyk6l.jpg

ASH556
04-16-2020, 01:39 PM
So looking at the pics I see 9mm dies, .223 dies, pistol and rifle primers, 9mm bullets. But like, I don't even know where to start. Why are there so many dies? How do you use them? Which one first? I need powder. I assume pistol powder is different than rifle powder? Which is good to get? I understand these things may be in short supply right now too.

ranger
04-16-2020, 01:47 PM
If you are ever near Canton I would be happy to provide a class. I would start with 9, rifle is a PIA.

Duelist
04-16-2020, 01:49 PM
You have a Lee hand press. I’ve never used one, but it should work for all of the things it needs to do. But you may get tired of it, and it isn’t a high volume press. B/C s.l.o.w.

You have a set of (9mm?) pistol dies. One is a size/deprime. That is the first die you use. Next is the expander, which is used to widen the case mouth enough to allow the new bullet to enter. Last, you have a bullet seat/crimp die, which pushes the bullet in to the depth you set, and then crimps the case mouth to hold the bullet tightly in place.

I assumed you can prime using the ram, but I don’t see a priming arm on that press. Is there a mechanism for priming?

Duelist
04-16-2020, 01:56 PM
So looking at the pics I see 9mm dies, .223 dies, pistol and rifle primers, 9mm bullets. But like, I don't even know where to start. Why are there so many dies? How do you use them? Which one first? I need powder. I assume pistol powder is different than rifle powder? Which is good to get? I understand these things may be in short supply right now too.

Pistol powder is definitely different than rifle powder. The key thing is burning powder creates pressure, different powders burn at different rates creating different pressure waves or peaks, and different volumes of different powders produce very different pressure levels. *Pistol powders usually have incompatible burn rates for rifle cartridges, and when accidentally used at rifle volumes, blow up guns*

Buy only two kinds of powder to start with: one for rifle, and one for pistol. When you are reloading rifle, only have that kind of powder out. Check several times. Same for pistol. Maybe even buy different brands in different shaped bottles.

Before you reload anything, you need a good manual, then you need to read it. After that, a class with an experienced reloader would be good, but Q&A in your thread here will also work.

andre3k
04-16-2020, 02:31 PM
Start off with a manual and read over that, it will answer many of your question. The Lee and Lyman manuals have a lot of good info and are easy reads.

Nightvisionary
04-16-2020, 02:58 PM
Purchase the Sierra reloading manual. Pretend it is the bible and you are Billy Graham, read, memorize, contemplate, review.

ASH556
04-16-2020, 03:01 PM
See, this is why I never got into reloading. I don't care to read manuals and futz with different loads, different powders, the nth of a grain difference.

More like:
make 9mm
shoot 9mm
repeat.

Is that not realistic without buying and reading a manual?

ER_STL
04-16-2020, 03:11 PM
Unless you're strapped for cash, there are better ways to set yourself up for reloading in a manner that you're more likely to enjoy. To load straight-walled pistol cartridges effectively you need the following things:

A sturdy bench to which to mount a press
The press itself
Dies (decap/resize, expander, bullet seat, bullet crimp)
Powder hopper
Priming mechanism on the press
Brass cleaning system (tumbler, media, polish, maybe sifter)
A quality scale
Bullet puller
Calipers
Components (powder, primers, brass, bullets)

There can be subtle variations but that's the basic setup. When it comes to the press itself, there are different types. You have what's called a hand-held single stage, which will be great for poking around but not much fun for trying to load a decent volume of rounds. You're better off with a press that mounts to a bench, and in that family, a press that is at least a turret. Lee's Classic Turret is a very good first press for the non-ham fisted.

I personally find it much easier to work with someone who has experience versus spending the time trying to learn all of it yourself, but the latter is certainly possible if you're careful and patient. Shoot me a PM if you'd like to discuss in a little more detail - I'm happy to help.

Duelist
04-16-2020, 03:24 PM
See, this is why I never got into reloading. I don't care to read manuals and futz with different loads, different powders, the nth of a grain difference.

More like:
make 9mm
shoot 9mm
repeat.

There are two parts of the manual you need to read. And yes, you should.

First is the instructions for how to reload. That is the part you really should read first, just for safety. Nobody is saying read the manual because they think you’re dumb! Rather, because you don’t know what you don’t know, and the mechanics of reloading are covered in the manuals.

Next, you read and follow the recipes. Basic 9mm recipes, for example, use a variety of powders and bullet combinations. Your “make 9mm, shoot 9mm, repeat” plan is perfectly legit, but you don’t have a recipe nor do you know how to follow it and make safe, functional ammo if you did.

So get a book, read it, follow the directions. You can build a complete AR from parts, I’m confident you can do this, but you really should take the time to read the instructions first.

Shoresy
04-16-2020, 03:29 PM

More like:
make 9mm
shoot 9mm
repeat.

Nothing wrong with that... and I suppose it can. I generally hold that having two written references in addition to what's available on the internet is a best practice if only to cross check data. I personally have Lee and Hornady on hand. Yes, that's a bit more geared toward experimentation and once you figure out that X grains of Y powder pushing Z bullet (and you just rinse and repeat that), no you don't need a manual.

That said...
1) maybe it's that I started in experimenting with rifle loads, but I just prefer to have one around - never found a reason NOT to have one and
2) in this day and age, you may find that your favorite powder can't be found, but an alternative will work. I tend to crack the manual before I consult the internet, and I tend to cross check multiple sources if I'm entering new territory. I tend to stick to specific loads and vary very little, but I got there after doing a fair bit (not exhaustive, but comprehensive) due diligence.

(If you're just fixed on two calibers, Loadbooks may be a more appropriate/effective option - www.loadbooks.com)

I won't tell you you're fucked up if you go without, but I would encourage the investment. Just one asshole's opinion; I'll get off the soapbox now.

Nightvisionary
04-16-2020, 04:27 PM

More like:
make 9mm
shoot 9mm
repeat.

No, you are seeking to participate in an activity that is potentially hazardous or even fatal to you and those around you if done incorrectly. 9mm ammunition is dirt cheap, same with 5.56. If you don't have the patience or desire to seek a full understanding of the process you are better off buying factory ammo. Taking shortcuts in any life endeavor usually results in an unsatisfactory outcome.

ranger
04-16-2020, 09:15 PM
1) Collect brass, order 9mm projectiles - primers - one pistol powder
2) Powder can be one of many - TiteGroup, WSF, etc. - it really is not rocket surgery
3) Buy a Dillon Square Deal in 9mm
4) Adjust the powder drop to supply powder approximately half way between min and max for selected powder and selected bullet
5) Square Deal dies should be set from Dillon
6) Load a few
7) Test in your barrel for fit
8) Load 50 or so and take to range
9) Assuming they work ok - load in volume
10) Never mess with the press, use same projectile weights, same powder, etc.

Buy 223

NGCSUGrad09
04-17-2020, 08:10 AM
Sounds like you want the short and easy route to volume for 9mm and/or 556. What you've got barely scratches the surface to get going, but is more suited for very low volume/time intensive with minimal investment.

You'll have a pretty decent startup cost for what you're looking for, which would take some time to amortize relative to ammo costs before you get ahead.

As mentioned above the Dillon Square Deal B is great for cheaper volume pistol. But reloading does take some research, some time and attention. Otherwise that's what ammo companies are for.

I'm just up the road in Jefferson if you decide you want to pursue it.

psalms144.1
04-17-2020, 08:35 AM
That hand press is NOT going to be the way to "easily" get into reloading. Yes, you need to read and learn some stuff, because even a minor f*** up on your part while reloading can have catastrophic results.

If you want to "get into" reloading, I'd second the suggestion of a Dillon set up in ONE caliber (I'd start with 9mm, because rifle reloading does take some more steps that require even more attention to detail). I'd suggest the 550, because I don't like new reloaders having self-indexing machines - until you learn the correct steps and they become instinctive, you really need to pay close attention to what you're doing.

That hand press would be perfect for loading 20-50 rounds of rifle ammo at a shot, but you still need a powder measure, hand priming tool, and a bunch of other stuff.

Slalom.45
04-17-2020, 08:44 AM
My thoughts...

First off decide "what do I want to get out of this" then move forward.

For me it was "I need more ammo to shoot USPSA". Knowing nothing I talked to some people, read some stuff, then ordered a full Dillon 650, Mr. Bulletfeeder, and casefeeder. This with the recommended items for case prep, powder weight, bullet puller, etc.

I had several big boxes of stuff with very clear instructions starting "Step 1" from Dillon. Was quickly making ammo and would do it all over again. This would have been different If making for precision rifle, etc., etc. A random box of stuff would have been terrible in my case. Good luck.

Tokarev
04-17-2020, 09:13 AM
That hand press is NOT going to be the way to "easily" get into reloading. That hand press would be perfect for loading 20-50 rounds of rifle ammo at a shot, but you still need a powder measure, hand priming tool, and a bunch of other stuff.

Yep. The Hand Press is a pretty handy little deal. Good for decapping brass prior to tumbling/washing and good for working up a load or something. Not good for quantity but it isn't really meant for that.

Not to disagree with some members here but skip the Sqaure Deal and get something more versatile. The Dillon 550 or 750, the Hornady Lock N Load or even the Lee Pro 1000 or Load Master will serve you better especially once you decide on what you want to do and what you're going to be reloading.

Also, go buy yourself something like the Lyman 50th Reloading Manual. The front of the book has good info on basic reloading as well as info on safety steps, etc. Another book is ABCs of Reloading. Either should give you good instructions. I suppose it is possible the local library might have either book if you don't want to buy but a good reloading manual is going to be a must.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Borderland
04-17-2020, 09:20 AM
I would just buy the ammo. 9mm and .223 are cheap compared to equipment costs to buy a decent setup to start reloading. You'll get pretty frustrated with what you have there and you still need some things.

Most re-loaders venture into it as a second hobby. Their first hobby was shooting. Sounds like you don't want a second hobby.

Honestly, if I weren't set up already I wouldn't bother with 9mm. Somebody gave me the dies and I just had to master a new cartridge. I don't even like 9mm.

If you decide to try it I'll send you a few hundred once fired 9mm cases to get started. Just ask.

Tokarev
04-17-2020, 09:41 AM
I would just buy the ammo. You'll get pretty frustrated with what you have there and you still need some things.

Most re-loaders venture into it as a second hobby.

Yep. Also good advice.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Duelist
04-17-2020, 09:52 AM
I would just buy the ammo. 9mm and .223 are cheap compared to equipment costs to buy a decent setup to start reloading. You'll get pretty frustrated with what you have there and you still need some things.

Most re-loaders venture into it as a second hobby. Their first hobby was shooting. Sounds like you don't want a second hobby.

Honestly, if I weren't set up already I wouldn't bother with 9mm. Somebody gave me the dies and I just had to master a new cartridge. I don't even like 9mm.

If you decide to try it I'll send you a few hundred once fired 9mm cases to get started. Just ask.

I don’t disagree, in normal times. These aren’t exactly normal times, though.

I have my press primarily set-up to load .38, .357, and hunting rifle ammunition. I’m set for loading 9mm and .223 as well just because it doesn’t take much extra effort or money to add a caliber or two once you have the basic equipment, and I want to be able to make whatever I need from my components if we hit an ammo scarcity issue. Like we just did.

I was just in my reloading area last night counting supplies, and discovered an unopened 500ct box of moly-coated .355 124gr lead bullets I bought at least three years ago, before I quit regularly assembling 9mm due to cost/time not adding up for me. So I guess I’m set for now for not buying another case or half case of practice ammo I don’t really have time to use up in a hurry anyway. LOL.

Borderland
04-17-2020, 11:07 AM
I don’t disagree, in normal times. These aren’t exactly normal times, though.

I have my press primarily set-up to load .38, .357, and hunting rifle ammunition. I’m set for loading 9mm and .223 as well just because it doesn’t take much extra effort or money to add a caliber or two once you have the basic equipment, and I want to be able to make whatever I need from my components if we hit an ammo scarcity issue. Like we just did.

I was just in my reloading area last night counting supplies, and discovered an unopened 500ct box of moly-coated .355 124gr lead bullets I bought at least three years ago, before I quit regularly assembling 9mm due to cost/time not adding up for me. So I guess I’m set for now for not buying another case or half case of practice ammo I don’t really have time to use up in a hurry anyway. LOL.

Agree. I don't have to think about ammo availability for at least 2 years. I started loading metal around 2008 when powder and primers disappeared. I scrounged powder and primers here and there for several years. Shortages are a bitch. People start thinking about getting geared up at the very worse possible time, like me. Been there, done that, got the dumbass t-shirt.

richiecotite
04-17-2020, 09:08 PM

I would say all you need now is a bench mounted press, a scale, a lee factory crimp die, and more supplies and your in business.

You could easily be all setup to load up 1000 rounds for another $200ish bucks.

Loading pistol ain’t rocket surgery. Resize the case with one die, flare the case mouth and drop powder on step 2, seat bullet step 3, remove flare with the Lee die.

The main reason I reload 9mm is to have enough stock on hand without dropping hundreds on multiple cases. Close second is cost. I can reload a case of 9mm using coated 124’s for about $115 per case. Before things got silly recently that’s still a $50 per case savings for 30 minutes if reloading per day on average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoresy
04-25-2020, 01:45 PM
For what it's worth, Ramshot's manual is posted for free online here: https://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/WPHandloading-Guide-7.0-Web-REV.pdf

Gray Ghost
05-04-2020, 03:26 PM
If you aren't willing to read a reloading manual, then put all that stuff back in the box and go buy some ammo. Reloading is not for the impatient or non-detail-oriented among us. You can get yourself or someone else badly hurt.

I personally don't bother loading 9mm or most 5.56. I do load 77 grain precision 5.56 cartridges for my Mk12. I focus on developing and creating hunting and/or target loads tailored to my rifles. For example, I have a load using 160 grain Nosler Accubond bullets that shoots .6 MOA out of my 1985 vintage Weatherby Mark V. I also have a sub-MOA load for my Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in .375 H&H Mag using 260 grain Nosler Partitions.

I also load for big bore revolvers like .44 Remington Magnum and .454 Casull.

I enjoy it, but as someone else posted, it is a hobby unto itself.

If you dig, it then try the Hornady manual. It has a very good section at the beginning that explains the process and tools you need. And if you do move forward, buy a decent press from Redding or RCBS. And an automatic dispenser/scale combo.