PDA

View Full Version : Jarhead West Coast stuff (Camp Pendleton)

LittleLebowski
04-15-2020, 08:40 AM
I had sorta forgotten about "Mount Motherfucker" :D

wvincent
04-15-2020, 12:35 PM

Wow!, That looks like it would have been a long, treacherous drive to the top in our Air Force pickup's.

Balisong
04-15-2020, 12:42 PM
Wow!, That looks like it would have been a long, treacherous drive to the top in our Air Force pickup's.

Shouldn't you have just flown over it?

SeriousStudent
04-15-2020, 12:43 PM
"Hump boys, hump!"

Man, I can still hear the DI's and troop handlers saying that. Along with the line "How about a nice leisurely stroll today?"

Balisong
04-15-2020, 12:49 PM
"Hump boys, hump!"

Man, I can still hear the DI's and troop handlers saying that. Along with the line "How about a nice leisurely stroll today?"

I request that this march be postponed until this platoon is better rested.

wvincent
04-15-2020, 12:58 PM
Shouldn't you have just flown over it?

Well, we could, but if standing on the top is the goal, then no.
KC-135's don't land on dirt strips.

Beside's, Alert vehicles aren't just for Alert.

LL, give us cake eaters the story on this big hill. I know I could Google it, but I would rather hear about your personal pain, the puking and the bloody feet.;)

SeriousStudent
04-15-2020, 12:59 PM
I request that this march be postponed until this platoon is better rested.

I would actually pay money to listen to someone say that, and watch the results. :cool:

It reminds me of the ending of the movie Aliens: "You now have 15 minutes to reach minimum safe distance".

Balisong
04-15-2020, 01:01 PM
I would actually pay money to listen to someone say that, and watch the results. :cool:

It reminds me of the ending of the movie Aliens: "You now have 15 minutes to reach minimum safe distance".

It won't cost much, just buy a DVD of Stripes :cool:

SeriousStudent
04-15-2020, 01:10 PM
I shall do that, whilst munching on a Hulka Burger.

SeriousStudent
04-15-2020, 01:21 PM

LL, give us cake eaters the story on this big hill. I know I could Google it, but I would rather hear about your personal pain, the puking and the bloody feet.;)

Tell us a story, Uncle Bax! :)

wvincent
04-15-2020, 01:39 PM
Tell us a story, Uncle Bax! :)

Yes, please do!

And it better not start out as "Dear Penthouse Letters........................"

UNK
04-15-2020, 02:57 PM
Mount MF Meh... try running in the fire breaks that are freshly plowed.

rcbusmc24
04-15-2020, 04:12 PM
That one's been graded and somewhat leveled out a bit, LL you ever do the walk up to Case Springs from Horno or Mateo? I miss the Alpha shelf and fire breaks while I'm stuck here in Lejuene....

OlongJohnson
04-15-2020, 04:50 PM
Closest I got to that was mountain biking in the singletrack stuff just north of the base, which was one of my favorite places to spend a couple hours kicking my arse on a weekend morning. Used to hike Baldy up to 10,064 ft. The view on top is awesome, from Edwards AFB to Catalina. I miss me some mountains, and the weather.

Dan_S
04-15-2020, 05:12 PM

Why did you go up that? Was there a pool at the top?

Mark D
04-15-2020, 07:23 PM
That brings back some memories... M16A1s, ALICE packs, and Mount Mother F**ker. Good times.

Nightvisionary
04-15-2020, 07:36 PM
This is more how I remember it although in 1989 I think there were steeper trails and no roads. The angle of repose was steep enough in parts that we had to crawl up a lot of it.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d5/e0/36/d5e036ac757017db77967edce1c61888.jpg

TXBK
04-15-2020, 08:30 PM
"Hump boys, hump!"

We’re you dragging an M60 up that thing?

SeriousStudent
04-15-2020, 08:34 PM
We’re you dragging an M60 up that thing?

I started with an M-60D in SOI, and then after I got into the FMF we transitioned to the M-60E3.

Began with the old shit, and then finished with the newer old shit. :cool:

LittleLebowski
04-15-2020, 08:49 PM
Well, we could, but if standing on the top is the goal, then no.
KC-135's don't land on dirt strips.

Beside's, Alert vehicles aren't just for Alert.

It just sucked. Clouds of dust, passing the 240 around (taking turns with it), the shitty ALICE pack cutting sores into your sides right below the ribs, having the chaos that is the Corps occurring around you, but there’s still some positive memories of talking shit and jokes no one else would possibly get :D. Not to mention being ready to go at 0500 and not stepping off until 0730.

I’d still much rather do this than close order drill or uniform inspections.

TXBK
04-15-2020, 09:13 PM
I started with an M-60D in SOI, and then after I got into the FMF we transitioned to the M-60E3.

Began with the old shit, and then finished with the newer old shit. :cool:

Bless you, sir. Now I know why you don’t smile in pictures, still to this day.

wvincent
04-15-2020, 09:13 PM
It just sucked. Clouds of dust, passing the 240 around (taking turns with it), the shitty ALICE pack cutting sores into your sides right below the ribs, having the chaos that is the Corps occurring around you, but there’s still some positive memories of talking shit and jokes no one else would possibly get :D. Not to mention being ready to go at 0500 and not stepping off until 0730.

Hell yeah!! That's what I'm talking about. Including this little nugget " Not to mention being ready to go at 0500 and not stepping off until 0730. " Some issue's transcend all the branches of the MIL.;)

Trust me, I know all about hardship in the Armed Forces. I remember that time myself and another crew were TDY to Edwards AFB, and before crew briefing we all went to the Snack Bar to eat. Well, for some strange reason, they were all out of biscuits and gravy! We couldn't believe it, WTF kind of Base are they running here? I distinctly remember looking at the Nav and stating, "I'm not sure I can even fly today under these austere conditions" His reply? "Me either!"
But, rest assured, being the hard chargers that we were, we hardened the fuck up and did the mission anyhow.

So yeah LL, we both seen the hardships, and survived.
We are Brothers in Arms.

Borderland
04-15-2020, 09:28 PM

We had an inspections in FL in August. I once remember a change of command and everyone had to stand at parade rest in 100° heat/95% humidity for an hour. Having lived in the desert SW all my life I knew that I needed to drink a quart of water before that inspection or bad things were going to happen. Well, there were sailors dropping like flies on the parade field in dress whites. But the new captain liked his welcoming ceremony and everyone lived.

LittleLebowski
04-15-2020, 09:35 PM
Hell yeah!! That's what I'm talking about. Including this little nugget " Not to mention being ready to go at 0500 and not stepping off until 0730. " Some issue's transcend all the branches of the MIL.;)

Trust me, I know all about hardship in the Armed Forces. I remember that time myself and another crew were TDY to Edwards AFB, and before crew briefing we all went to the Snack Bar to eat. Well, for some strange reason, they were all out of biscuits and gravy! We couldn't believe it, WTF kind of Base are they running here? I distinctly remember looking at the Nav and stating, "I'm not sure I can even fly today under these austere conditions" His reply? "Me either!"
But, rest assured, being the hard chargers that we were, we hardened the fuck up and did the mission anyhow.

We are Brothers in Arms.

#ShedBloodInTheSameMud (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=ShedBloodInTheSameMud)

LittleLebowski
04-15-2020, 09:52 PM

We are Brothers in Arms.

Let me tell you of the glory of formations at 15’ underwater.

https://www.businessinsider.com/marine-combat-water-survival-course-2013-5

Half Moon
04-15-2020, 10:18 PM

We are Brothers in Arms.

As a Gulf War Navy vet I understand your pain, WVincent:

https://assets.amuniversal.com/65988f80acbe012d63f600163e41dd5b

In it together, my bro!

SeriousStudent
04-15-2020, 10:31 PM

I got to skip out of an IG in 1988 - hahahaha!!!

Of course, they sent us to Yellowstone to fight wildfires instead. But no junk on the bunk for me - MUWhahahaha!!!!

wvincent
04-15-2020, 10:37 PM

Of course, they sent us to Yellowstone to fight wildfires instead. But no junk on the bunk for me - MUWhahahaha!!!!

Damn Man!! Getting "Movie Money" before an IG is like a fantasy come true. It's almost better than walking into your Vegas Suite, Finding Kimmy Granger lounging naked on the bed, and she says "I'm yours to do with as you please for the entire weekend. Oh, and Baby, Monday is holiday;)"

DDTSGM
04-16-2020, 01:01 AM
Mount MF Meh... try running in the fire breaks that are freshly plowed.

I'm sure they weren't my firebreaks, you are probably a youngster. I was in 7th Engineers circa 1973 and that was pretty much the extent of my 'engineering' experience before bad things happened to me.

UNK
04-16-2020, 08:03 AM
I'm sure they weren't my firebreaks, you are probably a youngster. I was in 7th Engineers circa 1973 and that was pretty much the extent of my 'engineering' experience before bad things happened to me.

Probably not my Pendelton time was 82-84. 2/7 & 3/9 at San Mateo

LittleLebowski
04-16-2020, 08:06 AM

I agree, I’d rather fight fires than Irish pennants.

Gearqueer
04-16-2020, 12:04 PM
Blast from the past for sure. For me it was 1999 with ALICE pack and M16a2. I wouldn’t mind going up it again some day in less constricted circumstances.

Does anyone know if they let civilian visitors hike the training areas? I remember seeing civilians a MWTC passing us on snow machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nightvisionary
04-16-2020, 03:13 PM
Reflecting on Mount MF, it was the hardest climb I ever had up to that point and one of the easier ones compared to what followed.

TOTS
04-19-2020, 05:18 PM
Guess I’m the youngster of the group. I lived behind the 22 Area armory from 02-06. When I first PCSd there, I couldn’t sleep because if all the helicopters flying at night (I was basically right across the street from the flightline). By the time I PCSd out, I couldn’t sleep without the rotor noise.

I was the S-2 NCOIC for 1st Marines until I got a job as a Range Coach on the Polgas ranges. I would attach some pics but I’d have to find the shoebox I keep them in! My favorite time is the six months or so I worked at the gas chamber!!🤮

You are bringing back memories of running down Rattlesnake Canyon road and group PT up Radar Hill; literally jumping over rattlesnakes.

Thread drift: CAX. 29 Palms. Go.....

LittleLebowski
04-19-2020, 06:15 PM
Guess I’m the youngster of the group. I lived behind the 22 Area armory from 02-06. When I first PCSd there, I couldn’t sleep because if all the helicopters flying at night (I was basically right across the street from the flightline). By the time I PCSd out, I couldn’t sleep without the rotor noise.

I was the S-2 NCOIC for 1st Marines until I got a job as a Range Coach on the Polgas ranges. I would attach some pics but I’d have to find the shoebox I keep them in! My favorite time is the six months or so I worked at the gas chamber!!🤮

You are bringing back memories of running down Rattlesnake Canyon road and group PT up Radar Hill; literally jumping over rattlesnakes.

Thread drift: CAX. 29 Palms. Go.....

What’s the name of that pond by Pulgas? I had to go in after a guy there (I was the safety swimmer) and it was so cold it took the breath out of me. I think it was by Sheep Shit hill maybe?

UniSol
04-19-2020, 07:19 PM
Fuck yeah, Mt. MF. That was one of my intros to climbing hills and mountains like a fucking pack mule and learning not to be totally crushed and still able to think and react while slowly dying.

Some of the brush in the greater Pendleton area was obscene. It looks like wide open high desert, 'til it's not.

Patrol phase for Recon school (BRC) was out of San Mateo. I was an East Coast Marine so I missed out on SOI there but I made up for it. We stayed in the same Quonset huts that were the barracks for Heartbreak Ridge (this was Summer of '99.)

nalesq
04-19-2020, 10:34 PM
Having gone up Mt. M-Fer as a Devil Pup back in the day, it was burned into my young mind as a kind of Platonic ideal of a hateful hill. I humped much heavier loads up many a hill later in life as a soldier, but none left quite the same lasting impression as Mt. M-Fer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mark D
04-19-2020, 10:58 PM
Probably not my Pendelton time was 82-84. 2/7 & 3/9 at San Mateo

2/7 for me too, but late 80's, before the 7th Marines moved to the Palms. I liked being at the end of Camp Pendleton - close to San Clemente.

03RN
04-19-2020, 11:22 PM
I think the kahukus were worse. May not of been bigger but the mud and the weight increase of the fleet made it worse.

Of course a black flag hump in oki that killed a boot right before iraq was probably the worst i ever did in hind sight.

TOTS
04-20-2020, 12:39 PM
What’s the name of that pond by Pulgas? I had to go in after a guy there (I was the safety swimmer) and it was so cold it took the breath out of me. I think it was by Sheep Shit hill maybe?

Man, I haven’t thought about that pond in 15 years. I can see it but no clue on the name. For penance I offer:

Annnndd that’s why I became a helicopter pilot; it was time for my gear to carry me!

LittleLebowski
04-20-2020, 01:43 PM
I think the kahukus were worse. May not of been bigger but the mud and the weight increase of the fleet made it worse.

Of course a black flag hump in oki that killed a boot right before iraq was probably the worst i ever did in hind sight.

To the Corps, a black flag is more like a warning rather than a hard rule.

03RN
04-20-2020, 03:05 PM
Man, I haven’t thought about that pond in 15 years. I can see it but no clue on the name. For penance I offer:

Annnndd that’s why I became a helicopter pilot; it was time for my gear to carry me!

But now its fun to Im up, he see's me, im down
:cool:52449

SeriousStudent
04-20-2020, 07:09 PM
To the Corps, a black flag is more like a challenge rather than a hard rule.

FIFY.