PDA

View Full Version : 642 vs 638, trying to choose.

Vista461
04-13-2020, 07:52 PM
So I’m going to get my first J frame. It will primarily be a backup, or run quick to the grocery store type carry for me and will mostly ride in a pocket holster.
I was thinking about going with a 642/442 but then wondered if I was missing out on something by not going with the 638.

With the hump on the 638, is it harder to conceal in the pocket?
I also wondered if maybe having the option of single action might be worth it.

Is there a downside to picking the 638 over a 642/442?

Willard
04-13-2020, 08:04 PM
So I’m going to get my first J frame. It will primarily be a backup, or run quick to the grocery store type carry for me and will mostly ride in a pocket holster.
I was thinking about going with a 642/442 but then wondered if I was missing out on something by not going with the 638.

Frame fully enclosed on 442/642. 638 can pick up lint, other debris. Not sure how important in practice vs theory. You can also grip higher on the 442/642 as you don't have to worry about interfering with hammer movement. Unless you need occasional capability to fire single action, I cannot think of a plus for the old bodyguard style, but keep one more from nostalgia than practicality.

Half Moon
04-13-2020, 08:13 PM

The bodyguard isn't really harder to conceal. The hammer slot is though a channel to collect debris. Because it has a single action sear it probably will not smooth up as clean a double action pull as the 442. Shooting wise at distance (say 25 yards) I find I shoot my Model 38 better in DA than SA anyways. SA interrupts my rhythm and grip. An oddity with the Model 38 is the sights are partially obscured with the hammer down. As the hammer comes back your sight picture is altering. I can't remember if the 638 is the same but likely is. I do like being able to cover the hammer with my thumb when holstering the Bodyguard. Being able to cock and lower the hammer for function checking the firing pin, lockup, etc is nice. If you want to go up in price there are upgraded versions of the hammerless J's that aren't available in the humpbacks.

Overall advantage is probably to the hammerless J's. I own examples of both families though and wouldn't turn my nose up at either.

Yung
04-13-2020, 08:18 PM
Regarding single-action on a DA/SA revolver.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?36930-Snub-interview/page7
https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/double-action-only-revolvers/
https://dailycaller.com/2013/04/23/massad-ayoob-hammer-or-less/

JRV
04-13-2020, 08:31 PM
In case you didn’t see a dogpile forming:

Bodyguard for the party, Centennial for the business.

Humpbacks are ugly-handsome, but you can’t beat an enclosed hammer and DAO with boot grips for a pocket gun.

Vista461
04-13-2020, 08:39 PM
Thanks guy. Sounds like 642 it is.
Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something about the 638.

jandbj
04-13-2020, 08:40 PM
Whichever you pick, spend the extra $ for the model specific Spegel custom grips.

You’ll thank me later.

willie
04-13-2020, 09:23 PM
I currently own both models. You miss nothing by selecting the hammerless J. When asked, I recommend the 442 if one has neither. If he has a 638, then I tell the person he has a fine revolver and urge him or her to keep and use it. Over the years I have owned numerous versions of each J model. They all do the same thing. I shoot these revolvers more accurately double action than single action. A giant negative is that regardless of activity, serious or not, when the shooter cocks a revolver and does not fire, then he must lower the hammer on a live round. As stated, the 442's design
allow internals to stay cleaner longer.

J frames smooth up with use. Avoid tinkering with it. If you insist on a action job, save money and pay Smith to do it. Otherwise you will sacrifice warranty. At the range keep an old tooth brush handy to clean under extractor star to remove crud from firing. One small bit will retard action because star is pushed toward firewall. Hold barrel straight up when ejecting empties. Buy box of wadcutter ammo for defense.

Duelist
04-13-2020, 10:31 PM
The only advantage to the Bodyguard is that you can thumb the hammer while you holster. That is a feature and an advantage. But the slick rear frame of the Centennial 642/640 I find superior in carry and deployment, whether from pocket, belt, ankle, or Smartcarry. My 642 has been on my ankle all day. I carry it loaded with Federal wadcutters. It’s been my go-to for very discreet carry for 16 years, and looks it, but I wouldn’t trade it.

OlongJohnson
04-13-2020, 10:37 PM
I don't know if 642 is available with no lock, but 442 definitely is (or was in the past and will be again - hard to say what is available right now). Definitely worth a little extra work to get the no lock version.

I also +1 on the Centennial frame due to the ability to grip higher up on the back strap.

LtDave
04-14-2020, 08:47 AM
In case you didn’t see a dogpile forming:

Bodyguard for the party, Centennial for the business.

Humpbacks are ugly-handsome, but you can’t beat an enclosed hammer and DAO with boot grips for a pocket gun.

what he said

Mitch
04-14-2020, 10:23 AM
I don't know if 642 is available with no lock, but 442 definitely is (or was in the past and will be again - hard to say what is available right now). Definitely worth a little extra work to get the no lock version.

I also +1 on the Centennial frame due to the ability to grip higher up on the back strap.

That would make my decision. I don’t think you can get a 638 no lock new, so that would be a nonstarter for me.

I prefer the 442 to all because I don’t have to take a marker to the rear sight, but YMMV.

Vista461
04-14-2020, 04:48 PM
Well I went and got a 642 today.
Patience is not strong with me lately. :D

Trigger heavier, obliviously, but pretty smooth. Will work well for it’s intended purpose.

Thanks everyone for helping me make up my mind.

Mitch
04-14-2020, 04:58 PM
Well I went and got a 642 today.
Patience is not strong with me lately. :D

Trigger heavier, obliviously, but pretty smooth. Will work well for it’s intended purpose.

Thanks everyone for helping me make up my mind.

Congratulations, that’s a great purchase.

The trigger will smooth up with just a little bit of dry fire.

Lex Luthier
04-14-2020, 08:50 PM
I have been wondering the same thing as the OP, and was formulating a question on the same lines.
Going back to 1990, I've handled & shot 640s in .38 & 357, and a couple of 442/642 variants, but have never shot a model 49 (or 649), nor handled a 638.
Can anyone school me on the handling differences between the 649 and 638? Besides weight, of course. I shoot revolvers DA almost exclusively, so I'm not really even interested in the SA feel.

All of the rental ranges I am aware of locally have Centennials for rent, but no Bodyguards, so I can't fact find that way.

DB has mentioned elsewhere how well the "high-horn" grips work with the Bodyguard humpback frame, and it intrigued me.

Thanks!

HopetonBrown
04-14-2020, 08:58 PM
The 442-1 (178041) and 642-1 (178042) do not have the internal lock and should still be available.

RevolverRob
04-14-2020, 09:14 PM
I have a 642 and a 638 - they feel very similar in a coat/jacket/vest pocket.

But in the pants pocket the 642 has just a bit of edge in concealment.

spinmove_
04-14-2020, 09:17 PM
I dig my 442 for pocket carry. I think you made the right choice.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-14-2020, 09:21 PM
Not knowing your background, good choice! I suggest a good snubby course and then shooting it in a match or two. Forget about 'winning'. Just see how you run the gun on stages set up for the great and all powerful semi. It's a hoot somwhat of a reality check on gun handling. Use a mildly load or wear gloves (of course that will get you killed on the street, your hand will thank you. You will find that you can make the same shots as well as the semi guys for accuracy on an IDPA run (IDPA, horrors, horrors!). Of course reloading is pain and count your speed loaders. You can even make the longer shots (even to the head).

Dagga Boy
04-15-2020, 02:00 PM
I ll make this easy. The Humpback Bodyguards are the best pocket carry design out there in my opinion as far as how the ride and draw from a pocket due to shape. The Centennials are better for actually living in a pocket as far as being a sealed system without a big hole in the top for lint and stuff to get into the action. Define what is more important and that is your answer. For most, it is the ease of maintenance as pocket guns tend to become sort of like car keys as something that sits in your pocket and you forget about.

Poconnor
04-15-2020, 03:02 PM
Crimson trace boot grips are on sale at Midway.

Lex Luthier
04-15-2020, 03:17 PM
I ll make this easy. The Humpback Bodyguards are the best pocket carry design out there in my opinion as far as how the ride and draw from a pocket due to shape. The Centennials are better for actually living in a pocket as far as being a sealed system without a big hole in the top for lint and stuff to get into the action. Define what is more important and that is your answer. For most, it is the ease of maintenance as pocket guns tend to become sort of like car keys as something that sits in your pocket and you forget about.

Thanks, DB!

Hizzie
04-15-2020, 04:02 PM
IIRC DB considers the Bodyguard profile to be the easiest of the the three styles to come out of the pocket smoothly. Hard to go wrong with either. Just personal preference. I wish I had snagged a 638 years ago.

Vista461
04-15-2020, 09:06 PM
Not knowing your background, good choice!

It’ll primarily be a BUG while at work. I was going to use a Shield, but then I thought about if I need it, it may be a situation where the slide on the Shield may get pushed out of battery. Plus who doesn’t need a wheelgun. ;)

spinmove_
04-16-2020, 10:27 AM

This right here. I haven't been pocket carrying for all that long, but I've definitely seen where pocket lint can work it's way into literally every crevice on a wheelgun you could possibly think of. The fewer crevices you give it the better IMHO as having to take the side plate off of a J-frame just to clean it on a monthly basis is not something that I'd prefer to do if I can help it.

gato naranja
04-16-2020, 11:53 AM
The Centennials are better for actually living in a pocket as far as being a sealed system without a big hole in the top for lint and stuff to get into the action.

This. The old saw about them picking up lint, etc in that slot turned out to be pretty accurate.

Crud buildup aside, I personally ascribe to the maxim: “Never attempt to shoot a fixed-sight snubby in SA; it wastes your time and annoys the fixed-sight snubby.”

willie
04-18-2020, 02:12 PM
I've never had a humped back Bodyguard that was not perfect right out of he box. My current lock version is an example. I do realize that my sample is too small from which to generalize, but it influences my positive bias for these revolvers. Long ago a factory armorer pointed out that theoretically the Bodyguard frame was stronger because of the extra frame material from the hump. Further he stated that frame stretching might be minimized. Frame stretching occurs over time. High pressure loads accelerate it. I think that his point was not significant back then, and now with metallurgical advances it is for sure a moot one.

Mini14jac
05-04-2020, 05:57 AM
I’ve had several J frames. Airlites and Airweights, Centennials and exposed hammers.

Sold my last 642 last year because I’ve never loved them and thought I was done with the hard kicking little beasts.

Then I started reading about how great J frames are again.:mad:

After selling two no-lock Centennials, I started wondering about a 638 since I’ve never had one.

Picked mine up Friday.:p

Now, if I can find a no-lock Centennial for a good price I wouldn’t be surprised if I bought one.

Nephrology
05-04-2020, 08:05 AM

I have a no-lock 442 and it is the bees knees. I don't carry it much, but I'll never get rid of it. I think my example was made in the mid-2000s, not sure if they're still in production.

spinmove_
05-04-2020, 08:09 AM
I have a no-lock 442 and it is the bees knees. I don't carry it much, but I'll never get rid of it. I think my example was made in the mid-2000s, not sure if they're still in production.

They were still in production a year or two ago when I bought mine. According to S&W’s site, it’s still a SKU they’re producing.

OlongJohnson
05-04-2020, 08:34 AM
Model: 150544
UPC: 022188137545

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/022188137545

Mini14jac
05-07-2020, 06:36 PM
Model: 150544
UPC: 022188137545

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/022188137545

You sir, are one cool dude!
:o

Lex Luthier
05-07-2020, 06:59 PM
And conversely....

NIB S & W model 638 Bodyguard (S&W:163070 ) $350 at West Chester Firearms, LLC in Ohio

https://www.armslist.com/posts/8896026/cincinnati-ohio-handguns-for-sale--smith---wesson-m638-38-special-shrouded-hammer-revolver---new-in-box---s-w-163070

No affiliation with the seller.