PDA

View Full Version : Eotech

GJM
04-13-2020, 07:42 PM
I know, buy an Aimpoint. I have for years, and have a bunch of them. However, I really enjoy shooting the display form factor on the Holosun 512C, although I am not sure I trust Holosun for use other than gaming. Hope that changes, but that will take time.

If someone wanted a Holosun for use on a 5.56 AR, what model would it be? I am looking at the EXPS3-0, is that the right model.

Grey
04-13-2020, 07:45 PM
I know, buy an Aimpoint. I have for years, and have a bunch of them. However, I really enjoy shooting the display form factor on the Holosun 512C, although I am not sure I trust Holosun for use other than gaming. Hope that changes, but that will take time.

If someone wanted a Holosun for use on a 5.56 AR, what model would it be? I am looking at the EXPS3-0, is that the right model.

I think there are two models, one is night vision capable the other is not. I think it is EXPS3-0 (night vision) and EXPS2-0?

Im running a EXPS-3 on my KAC.

GJM
04-13-2020, 07:46 PM
I think there are two models, one is night vision capable the other is not. I think it is EXPS3-0 (night vision) and EXPS2-0?

Im running a EXPS-3 on my KAC.

You like it? SR-15 would be the host.

Grey
04-13-2020, 07:49 PM
You like it? SR-15 would be the host.

Yup! I love the little "donut." The only thing I have been able to compare it to is a Aimpoint PRO and some MRDS. The only downside is the battery life isn't that great.

StraitR
04-13-2020, 08:12 PM
I have an EXPS3-0, only for the large view window and reticle. Use it on a 16" Noveske N4. Couldn't be happier.

EXPS3 series is NV
EXPS2 series is non-NV

EXPS series is lower 1/3rd co-witness. XPS series is absolute co-witness.

EXPS series has QD mount. XPS series uses thumbstud or allen screw.

The different dash (-) numbers after EXPS3/EXPS2 are how many 1moa dots there are in the reticle. Example: EXPS3-0 has a single dot, EXPS3-2 has two dots.

Maca
04-13-2020, 08:12 PM
I went through this a year ago...ordered an EOTech EXPS3 along with a Vortex UH1 to try side by side. I preferred the Vortex due to better holographic image clarity and i thought the up/down arrows on the back rather than side.

DpdG
04-13-2020, 08:20 PM
Another potential option- the Romeo 4 series have the donut as well. I highly suspect the parts come from the same factory as Holosun, but allegedly they are assembled in the US. Currently have just under a year with about 20 4T units issued without problems (so far). The previous 4m had a crappy mount that Sig fixed by replacing with 4Ts.

Wake27
04-13-2020, 08:26 PM
I prefer the mount on the EXPS and figure I might as well get it NV compatible since they’re much easier to use under nods than Aimpoints, so I like the EXPS 3. The reticle isn’t very sharp but as long as you’re not larping in the living room, that probably doesn’t matter since you won’t actually be looking at it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200414/3d98dc1a2bb799b97f136bc627116904.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clusterfrack
04-13-2020, 08:35 PM
I recommend the EXPS 3-0.

EOTech gets a lot of hate for various reasons (mostly undeserved IMO), but it’s a very high tech optic that differs significantly from virtually all other RDS. For some interesting reading, have a look at the patent. The physics is very cool, and results in a parallax free reticle, and a dot that remains the same size even with a magnifier.

Medusa
04-13-2020, 08:45 PM
I promise I hadn’t seen this thread when asking you about this, Clusterfrack. I think I might go with the non nv one for whatever my second AR ends up being, short and long term.

Clusterfrack
04-13-2020, 08:46 PM
I promise I hadn’t seen this thread when asking you about this, Clusterfrack. I think I might go with the non nv one for whatever my second AR ends up being, short and long term.

You've got some serious clairvoyance going on Medusa. How did you manage to PM me about this very thing an hour ago?

I'm pasting some of what we talked about here:

Holosun stole IP from Aimpoint and EOTech, and make some good optics. QC isn’t as good, but they replace it if needed. For an Aimpoint type optic, Holosun is a good choice (if you're into supporting industrial espionage and buying Chinesium stuff). For a true holosight, my guess is that L3 (EOTech) still has the solid edge. They are a massive defense contractor with lots of smart engineers.

STI
04-13-2020, 09:28 PM
Also the OPMOD EXPS-2 has the riser (lower 1/3) and side buttons and everything the NV-compatible EXPS-3 models have, without the NV and I think at a lower price than the EXPS-3.

El Cid
04-13-2020, 09:37 PM
You've got some serious clairvoyance going on Medusa. How did you manage to PM me about this very thing an hour ago?

Holosun stole IP from Aimpoint and EOTech, and make some good optics. QC isn’t as good, but they replace it if needed. For an Aimpoint type optic, Holosun is a good choice (if you're into supporting industrial espionage and buying Chinesium stuff). For a true holosight, my guess is that L3 (EOTech) still has the solid edge. They are a massive defense contractor with lots of smart engineers.

I find it interesting that you won’t buy Holosun for the reasons listed above, but don’t think EOTech deserves their hate. They lied to our LE and warfighters about a known flaw in their optics. They hid the problems and got indicted for it.

GJM
04-13-2020, 09:38 PM
Also the OPMOD EXPS-2 has the riser (lower 1/3) and side buttons and everything the NV-compatible EXPS-3 models have, without the NV and I think at a lower price than the EXPS-3.

Looks like a $40 difference between the 2 and 3 on GB.

Grey
04-13-2020, 09:40 PM

Get the NV capable one... I am expecting you to jump into NV in the future... and then maybe I can get second hand NV for cheap when you buy and sell it on the quest for the pinnacle NV :D. Get me some PVS-14s plz :D.

Clusterfrack
04-13-2020, 09:43 PM
I find it interesting that you won’t buy Holosun for the reasons listed above, but don’t think EOTech deserves their hate. They lied to our LE and warfighters about a known flaw in their optics. They hid the problems and got indicted for it.

No argument there. ‘Mostly undeserved’ hate, but I certainly won’t defend them for lying. My understanding is that the thermal drift was relatively small under most battlefield conditions. The awful battery issues of the model 512 seem more problematic to me.

Medusa
04-13-2020, 09:53 PM
I’m sorry for not knowing. What’s GB? I figured out where the opmod units come from.

eta I presume the 2 dot models are meant to be used with a magnifier.

LittleLebowski
04-13-2020, 09:54 PM
I’m sorry for not knowing. What’s GB? I figured out where the opmod units come from.

Gunbroker.com

HCM
04-13-2020, 09:59 PM

A massive contractor that engaged in fraud, though they are far from alone in that regard. In fact they are kinda like the SIG of the RDS world.

Clusterfrack
04-13-2020, 10:00 PM

eta I presume the 2 dot models are meant to be used with a magnifier.

Yes, although some people claim to be able to see multiple dots without having a magnifier.
HCM, yes but L3’s engineers are smarter.

GJM
04-13-2020, 10:01 PM
Which is worse — the defense company that did bad things, or the Chinese company that stole technology from the defense company that did bad things? :p

dontshakepandas
04-13-2020, 10:03 PM
I’m interested in this too.

I need an optic for an empty rifle, and I’m very happy with my Aimpoint Comp M5 but just have an itch to try an EOTech. I can’t make myself pull the trigger though.

Every time I try to talk myself into it I second guess it because of the battery life, weight, and durability. I can probably deal with the first two, but are they actually durable enough to survive someone who seems to be able to break anything?

Clusterfrack
04-13-2020, 10:05 PM
... are they actually durable enough to survive someone who seems to be able to break anything?

I think so. My experience with a couple of hard use EOTechs was very positive. And the reticle can still work when the glass is cracked. Because physics. And lasers.

StraitR
04-13-2020, 10:08 PM
Which is worse — the defense company that did bad things, or the Chinese company that stole technology from the defense company that did bad things? :p

You're never wrong for choosing 'Murica.

JSGlock34
04-13-2020, 10:13 PM
I've had good experience with my EXPS 3-0. The newer manufactured models with the flag branding denote update since the zero shift issue. Recommended. (Yes, I have Aimpoints too.)

https://i.imgur.com/i8CS7Cy.jpg

Medusa
04-13-2020, 10:19 PM
I snagged an opmod exps 2-0 and optics planet has a coupon rn. I was an easy sell since my faux-12 will use the vudu I got for her.

JSGlock34
04-13-2020, 10:21 PM
For a true holosight, my guess is that L3 (EOTech) still has the solid edge. They are a massive defense contractor with lots of smart engineers.

Just to note, L3 recently divested itself of EOTech. Or at least had declared intent to.

L3Harris Technologies Signs Definitive Agreement to Sell EOTech to an Affiliate of Koucar Management (https://finance.yahoo.com/news/l3harris-technologies-signs-definitive-agreement-130000248.html)

Wake27
04-13-2020, 10:21 PM
EOTech was recently separated from L3 I believe. No idea what it’ll mean, but I assume there may be some changes.

Also, the -2 isn’t just for magnifiers. I find it makes a nice hold at groping distance as well.

They’re still super durable. Not as much as Aimpoint, but most of them can take quite a beating. I have several in my arms room that have been beat to hell and still work, and those are the shitty 512s.

Plus, on batteries - I’ve never had one unexpectedly die on me, unlike an Aimpoint. That’s only because they’re only on if they’re being used and they flash as a low battery indicator so you know it’s coming, but at least you do know.

The reticle, even the standard one, is more useful than a pure dot because you can somewhat consistently Kentucky windage. Plus, they’re just fast.

Oh and finally, L3/EOTech handled it far better than Sig does.

HCM
04-13-2020, 10:51 PM
I recommend the EXPS 3-0.

EOTech gets a lot of hate for various reasons (mostly undeserved IMO), but it’s a very high tech optic that differs significantly from virtually all other RDS. For some interesting reading, have a look at the patent. The physics is very cool, and results in a parallax free reticle, and a dot that remains the same size even with a magnifier.

So, first you need to decide what requirement your RDS is going to fill. If you will have time to turn on your optic such as recreational shooting or executing pre-planned operations, the current EoTech is viable. If you have a requirement for a true “grab and go” optic for reactive or defensive situations, like an LE patrol rifle, or IMHO a home defense rifle, then the EoTech is off the table.

The EoTech’s negative reputation is, IME, well deserved though they have had what alcoholics call “a moment of clarity” and are making a legitimate effort to turn things around. As such, EoTechs can be divided into “old logo” models and “new logo” models. If buying used, I would stick with new logo models, especially for any serious use.

What we now call the EoTech originated in the 1990s as the Bushnell Holosight. EoTech and L3’s involvement came later. EoTech’s use in U.S. military service is mostly a product of Aimpoint not being able to meet U.S. military demand after 9/11. It is popular with some special mission units because the reticle is fast and because the large window allows more light pass through when using the optic as a passive aiming device in conjunction with night vision. Of course this is also based on mostly conducting preplanned operations and, with the twin battery models, having access to sufficient quantities of batteries to simply change batteries before every mission.

My Agency issued EoTechs for over 10 years and at one point I was responsible for over 100 of them, mostly 552’s with a few XPS models at the end. Since then I have a pair of 552s and an EXPS-3, the latter being a replacement for a 2007 vintage 512 which suffered de-lamination of the optic window. So far so good with the replacement EXPS-3.

In summary, the XPS and EXPS models with the sideways battery compartment have been significantly more reliable than the older twin battery models, even in the old logo models.

With the “old logo” models I have personally seen the following failures:

- Electric vampirism, (optics in vehicles, turned off) with dead batteries in less than 3 months unless lithium AAs were used.
-random dead optics (vs dead batteries).
- loose battery compartment fit, requiring shimming with aluminum foil to maintain circuit with the batteries.
- battery contacts in the battery box falling out and needing to be crazy glued in place.
- zero shift due to temperature changes (thermal drift).
- sight adjustment not tracking true or, in one case, tracking in reverse (I.e adjust for 3 clicks up, resulting in POI moving 3 down.)
- delamination of the layers of the optic window the hologram is projected on to resulting in a distorted and unusable holographic image.

With regard to the reticle, while I like the circle dot, I prefer the execution on the Holosun and SIG optics in that they have a crisper image and, more importantly, they make the dot brighter than the circle. Which the EoTech reticle is fine for close range speed shooting, when the intensity is turned up, as required in some lighting conditions, the ring over powers the dot, or more correctly what ever you are trying to engage with just the dot.

HCM
04-13-2020, 10:54 PM
EOTech was recently separated from L3 I believe. No idea what it’ll mean, but I assume there may be some changes.

Also, the -2 isn’t just for magnifiers. I find it makes a nice hold at groping distance as well.

They’re still super durable. Not as much as Aimpoint, but most of them can take quite a beating. I have several in my arms room that have been beat to hell and still work, and those are the shitty 512s.

Plus, on batteries - I’ve never had one unexpectedly die on me, unlike an Aimpoint. That’s only because they’re only on if they’re being used and they flash as a low battery indicator so you know it’s coming, but at least you do know.

The reticle, even the standard one, is more useful than a pure dot because you can somewhat consistently Kentucky windage. Plus, they’re just fast.

Oh and finally, L3/EOTech handled it far better than Sig does.

Let’s be honest here:

HCM
04-13-2020, 10:57 PM
Yes, although some people claim to be able to see multiple dots without having a magnifier.
HCM, yes but L3’s engineers are smarter.

L3s engineers didn’t develop the sight. Before EoTech, it was the Busnell holosight and I believe Busnell May have bought the design from someone else. Moot issue as L3 is dumping EoTech.

HCM
04-13-2020, 10:59 PM
I’m interested in this too.

I need an optic for an empty rifle, and I’m very happy with my Aimpoint Comp M5 but just have an itch to try an EOTech. I can’t make myself pull the trigger though.

Every time I try to talk myself into it I second guess it because of the battery life, weight, and durability. I can probably deal with the first two, but are they actually durable enough to survive someone who seems to be able to break anything?

What ever the other faults of EoTech, the XPS/EXPS are durable. Not quite Aimpoint M4/M5 durable but durable enough for service use.

vcdgrips
04-13-2020, 11:09 PM
I ran a rev E EO Tech 512 ( 2AA) until they bought it back from me a few years back. I did quite well with it at an 08 Pat Rogers(RIP) 3 day carbine class.

I was religious about using new batteries before any critical “employment” and making sure that the batteries stayed put (in contact) with the use of small o rings If I recall correctly.

The driving force for me rejecting the EO Tech sight beyond their culpability regarding thermal drift and their affirmative cover-up of the same was that for my increasingly astigmatic eyes, the 65 MOA circle/1 MOA dot Looked like one big bloom of red fire relative to a 2 MOA dot found on an Aimpoint if I was not wearing correctives lenses.

I know of Two major metro area PDs who have been happy since they went to the models with the horizontal CR123 battery. Particularly when they replaced batteries frequently and endeavored to keep the optic/rifle in a consistent temperature controlled environment ie rifle in case on back seat/in rack as opposed to a cold/hot trunk etc.

YVK
04-13-2020, 11:10 PM
I've one XPS 3-0 since they came out. Just one so no sample size. No issues at all. Currently on my PCC where it is awesome because of a frequent very close proximity targets in this discipline. I might get another.

HCM
04-13-2020, 11:21 PM
You're never wrong for choosing 'Murica.

This is why I’m hoping the new circle dot MRO is viable.

Wake27
04-13-2020, 11:35 PM
So, first you need to decide what requirement your RDS is going to fill. If you will have time to turn on your optic such as recreational shooting or executing pre-planned operations, the current EoTech is viable. If you have a requirement for a true “grab and go” optic for reactive or defensive situations, like an LE patrol rifle, or IMHO a home defense rifle, then the EoTech is off the table.

The EoTech’s negative reputation is, IME, well deserved though they have had what alcoholics call “a moment of clarity” and are making a legitimate effort to turn things around. As such, EoTechs can be divided into “old logo” models and “new logo” models. If buying used, I would stick with new logo models, especially for any serious use.

What we now call the EoTech originated in the 1990s as the Bushnell Holosight. EoTech and L3’s involvement came later. EoTech’s use in U.S. military service is mostly a product of Aimpoint not being able to meet U.S. military demand after 9/11. It is popular with some special mission units because the reticle is fast and because the large window allows more light pass through when using the optic as a passive aiming device in conjunction with night vision. Of course this is also based on mostly conducting preplanned operations and, with the twin battery models, having access to sufficient quantities of batteries to simply change batteries before every mission.

My Agency issued EoTechs for over 10 years and at one point I was responsible for over 100 of them, mostly 552’s with a few XPS models at the end. Since then I have a pair of 552s and an EXPS-3, the latter being a replacement for a 2007 vintage 512 which suffered de-lamination of the optic window. So far so good with the replacement EXPS-3.

In summary, the XPS and EXPS models with the sideways battery compartment have been significantly more reliable than the older twin battery models, even in the old logo models.

With the “old logo” models I have personally seen the following failures:

- Electric vampirism, (optics in vehicles, turned off) with dead batteries in less than 3 months unless lithium AAs were used.
-random dead optics (vs dead batteries).
- loose battery compartment fit, requiring shimming with aluminum foil to maintain circuit with the batteries.
- battery contacts in the battery box falling out and needing to be crazy glued in place.
- zero shift due to temperature changes (thermal drift).
- sight adjustment not tracking true or, in one case, tracking in reverse (I.e adjust for 3 clicks up, resulting in POI moving 3 down.)
- delamination of the layers of the optic window the hologram is projected on to resulting in a distorted and unusable holographic image.

With regard to the reticle, while I like the circle dot, I prefer the execution on the Holosun and SIG optics in that they have a crisper image and, more importantly, they make the dot brighter than the circle. Which the EoTech reticle is fine for close range speed shooting, when the intensity is turned up, as required in some lighting conditions, the ring over powers the dot, or more correctly what ever you are trying to engage with just the dot.

Off the table? It doesn’t take a start-up procedure to turn it on. It’s literally one touch of a button that’s just above your magazine. If you don’t have time to do that, you don’t have time to put a dot on anything and need to start blasting.

Also that meme is so personal that I love it.

HCM
04-13-2020, 11:50 PM
Off the table? It doesn’t take a start-up procedure to turn it on. It’s literally one touch of a button that’s just above your magazine. If you don’t have time to do that, you don’t have time to put a dot on anything and need to start blasting.

Also that meme is so personal that I love it.

Time adds up. Three “just one thing” is three things. If you have trained to do it and remember to do it. When we did drills from “bag/cruiser ready” - rack around, turn on EO, safety off, the failures, in order were 1) optic, 2) safety, 3) rack a round. This may be biased by guys used to racking iron sight shot guns but still...

As for the meme, it’s perfect as in both cases it’s only a bad decision if you aren’t honest about what it is and what it isn’t.

RevolverRob
04-13-2020, 11:52 PM
I don’t want to let facts get in the way of a perfectly good narrative but...isn’t the Holosun actually a reflex sight and not a etched reticle holographic sight?

As far as I know there are only two holo sights out there - EoTech and Vortex.

HCM
04-13-2020, 11:56 PM
I don’t want to let facts get in the way of a perfectly good narrative but...isn’t the Holosun actually a reflex sight and not a etched reticle holographic sight?

As far as I know there are only two holo sights out there - EoTech and Vortex.

Holosun is a LED reflex sight like Aimpoint and the MRO, EO and Vortex are holographic, none of these has an etched reticle. If they did you would see the reticle with the optic turned off.

JSGlock34
04-14-2020, 03:16 AM
Personally, I'd look at the Trijicon MRO HD if I wanted a EOTech style reticle (in this case a 2MOA dot surrounded by a 68 MOA ring) without the EOTech. I'm really leery of Holosun and SIG optics.

Trijicon® Unveils the MRO® HD - Featuring a New Complex Reticle (https://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-mro-hd-1x25mm-red-dot-sights.html)

rob_s
04-14-2020, 05:06 AM

Enemy of my enemy is my... optic company of choice?

rob_s
04-14-2020, 05:16 AM
It is popular with some special mission units because the reticle is fast and because the large window allows more light pass through when using the optic as a passive aiming device in conjunction with night vision. Of course this is also based on mostly conducting preplanned operations and, with the twin battery models, having access to sufficient quantities of batteries to simply change batteries before every mission.

Never forget Sneetchism, even among “elite” units.

Why does SWAT get .45s? Because patrol carries 9mm, that’s why.

psalms144.1
04-14-2020, 07:51 AM
My understanding is that the thermal drift was relatively small under most battlefield conditions. Absolutely, utterly, and completely wrong. We saw zero drifts over 6 MOA with minimal temp changes, and extreme drifts over 20 MOA. The real danger to thermal drift was the fact that the direction and intensity of the drift were random and completely unpredictable; AND, there was no guarantee that the "dot" would return to zero after the shift. On the question of parallax free viewing, true in theory, but delamination caused parts of the "window" to become veritable dead spots for the hologram, so off-axis viewing resulted in significant dimming of the projection, or loss of sight altogether.

Again, from folks I know who are testing the most recent releases of EoTech optics for issue to SOCOM, the current products are as good as you could ask for, within the limits of the issues with holography versus a simple "dot" projection. That doesn't change anything about what Eotech knew about, and concealed, from the USG, local/state governments, and the general public, for well more than a decade.

Clusterfrack
04-14-2020, 08:51 AM
Thanks for clearing that up and setting the record straight, psalms144.1.

El Cid
04-14-2020, 10:31 AM

Enemy of my enemy is my... optic company of choice?

And this is why I don't enjoy buying RDS as much as I should. It's almost like voting for POTUS - choose the lesser evil. I have a couple Sig and Holosun products. Even Vortex appears to have some of their optics made by Holosun or using Holosun parts. Aimpoint is "clean" as a company as far as I know, but they haven't offered us the "donut of death" as a reticle option. And now they continue to make claims for battery life on the ACRO that everyone else except their marketing department knows are pure fantasy. Maybe Trijicon will be the way and the light?

Nephrology
04-14-2020, 10:37 AM
And this is why I don't enjoy buying RDS as much as I should. It's almost like voting for POTUS - choose the lesser evil. I have a couple Sig and Holosun products. Even Vortex appears to have some of their optics made by Holosun or using Holosun parts. Aimpoint is "clean" as a company as far as I know, but they haven't offered us the "donut of death" as a reticle option. And now they continue to make claims for battery life on the ACRO that everyone else except their marketing department knows are pure fantasy. Maybe Trijicon will be the way and the light?

There are some LPVOs that offer donut/ACSS style reticles. The Vortex Viper PST 1-4x has one that is kind of nice, even if the mil hashes are too tiny to be useful.

That said I had an Eotech 512 briefly and while I didn't trust it, the reticle and very generous eyebox were fantastic. I've definitely thought about revisiting the brand in the future.

Medusa
04-14-2020, 10:39 AM
{snip} Maybe Trijicon will be the way and the light?

Re Trijicon, I’m not down with buying weapon sights with putatively holy book cites on them, if there are alternatives that serve my needs, as here. I understand each of us makes their own choice according to their own assessment.

Clusterfrack
04-14-2020, 11:29 AM
I like my 1-dot MROs a lot, and don't currently have any EOTechs. But what I miss about the EOTech is how wide the window is, and how easy it is to pick up the reticle in unconventional positions. The reticle is usable at the very outer edges of the window. Nothing I've used is quite as good.

Wake27
04-14-2020, 11:51 AM
Re Trijicon, I’m not down with buying weapon sights with putatively holy book cites on them, if there are alternatives that serve my needs, as here. I understand each of us makes their own choice according to their own assessment.

I thought they stopped doing that years ago.

Wake27
04-14-2020, 11:52 AM
There are some LPVOs that offer donut/ACSS style reticles. The Vortex Viper PST 1-4x has one that is kind of nice, even if the mil hashes are too tiny to be useful.

That said I had an Eotech 512 briefly and while I didn't trust it, the reticle and very generous eyebox were fantastic. I've definitely thought about revisiting the brand in the future.

Vortex just released their Gen II strike eagle that I think has a donut-y reticle.

Medusa
04-14-2020, 11:55 AM
Now I see the opmod one dot reticle is out of stock it’s up to a 38 day delay expected . I might switch to the two dot to get it in hand, or I could pay full pop somewhere they’re in stock. Sigh. My own fault. First world problem.

RevolverRob
04-14-2020, 11:56 AM
I thought they stopped doing that years ago.

Only on .MIL Contract sights:

https://www.trijicon.com/frequently-asked-questions/category/general-faqs

dontshakepandas
04-14-2020, 12:17 PM
Thanks guys. SportOptics has a 12% off coupon so I've got an EXPS3-0 on the way.

DpdG
04-14-2020, 02:12 PM
Vortex just released their Gen II strike eagle that I think has a donut-y reticle.

Is the strike eagle of usable quality for hobby/competition usage? Seems like they are a lot less expensive than the well regarded viper line. I have been considering a PA 1-6 (FFP) or 1-8 (SFP) with the ACSS reticle and am stuck in analysis paralysis phase.

Clusterfrack
04-14-2020, 02:42 PM
I see that Optics Planet has a sale, and the EXPS2-0 Opmod in green (https://www.opticsplanet.com/l3-eotech-opmod-exps2-holographic-sights-limited-edition-red-dot-sights-exps2-0-opmod.html?_iv_code=99-RD-EXPS2-OPMOD-EXPS2-0GRNOP-BLACK) is available. I'm really digging green reticles and optic fibers. They appear much crisper to my eyes.

Medusa
04-14-2020, 03:05 PM
I see that Optics Planet has a sale, and the EXPS2-0 Opmod in green (https://www.opticsplanet.com/l3-eotech-opmod-exps2-holographic-sights-limited-edition-red-dot-sights-exps2-0-opmod.html?_iv_code=99-RD-EXPS2-OPMOD-EXPS2-0GRNOP-BLACK) is available. I'm really digging green reticles and optic fibers. They appear much crisper to my eyes.

they helped me out, switched to non opmod, kept the same coupon effective, optic in stock. For some reason my eyes prefer red.

dontshakepandas
04-14-2020, 03:08 PM

I don't have any personal experience, but a few of the YouTube videos I watched on the green reticles said they found the opposite to be true with the EOTech, and that the green reticles seemed less crisp. Let me see if I can dig up a link.

Edit: Looks like it was Garand Thumb starting at around the 7 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It3T7yWja_Q

Looks like you give up some battery life for the green reticle also and it isn't available with night vision capabilities.

Wake27
04-14-2020, 04:35 PM
Is the strike eagle of usable quality for hobby/competition usage? Seems like they are a lot less expensive than the well regarded viper line. I have been considering a PA 1-6 (FFP) or 1-8 (SFP) with the ACSS reticle and am stuck in analysis paralysis phase.

I can’t really say. I know we have some guys that use them but I never have. I do find it interesting that this is the Gen II, I haven’t really seen much on what it brings over the Gen I but the upgrades to their other scopes have been solid.

StraitR
04-14-2020, 07:26 PM
Total personal preference and situationally dependent, but throwing in my two cents here. After using red for as long as dots and illuminated reticles have been a thing, I just can't get behind the change. Also living in a place that stays predominantly green for no less than 11 months out of the year, I find green reticles easier to lose in the sprawling tropic vegetation.

HCM
04-14-2020, 08:11 PM
Total personal preference and situationally dependent, but throwing in my two cents here. After using red for as long as dots and illuminated reticles have been a thing, I just can't get behind the change. Also living in a place that stays predominantly green for no less than 11 months out of the year, I find green reticles easier to lose in the sprawling tropic vegetation.

Green is also problematic under NODS, an area which is normally one of EOTech’s strengths.

GJM
04-14-2020, 08:17 PM
I just assumed green would be better because .... green. After using green in an ACOG and Holosun, I realized I prefer red over green for my eyes. An added benefit is a red dot and green laser are easily differentiated.

RevolverRob
04-14-2020, 08:40 PM
So, I peruses EoTech’s offerings earlier - they don’t have any models with auto-on/shake awake?

Seems like a real gain for EoTech would be that tech.

StraitR
04-14-2020, 08:59 PM
Green is also problematic under NODS, an area which is normally one of EOTech’s strengths.

Sadly, that's not a problem I can relate to. :(

HCM
04-15-2020, 06:53 PM
So, I peruses EoTech’s offerings earlier - they don’t have any models with auto-on/shake awake?

Seems like a real gain for EoTech would be that tech.

No, they don't. Only auto shut off after 4 or 8 hours to preserve battery life. Hence the whole discussion up thread about the suitability of EoTech for pro-active vs reactive situations due to the need to turn on the sight.

dontshakepandas
04-15-2020, 10:25 PM
Well, buyers remorse got the best of me and I ordered another Comp M5 and decided to send the a EOTech back.

I have dots on 5 other guns so decided sticking with a familiar reticle would be advantageous.

These seem to be in really high demand right now so if anybody is looking for a black EXPS3-0 and having trouble finding one shoot me a PM and I’ll let you have this one for what I have in it instead of sending it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

El Cid
04-16-2020, 08:19 AM

I'd forgotten they do that to be honest. So we can add them to the group of companies who make products we want but the behavior of the manufacturer makes the item less desirable.

19852+
04-16-2020, 10:01 AM
I've had the opportunity to work with a couple of active duty SEALS in the past two years in training courses that have nothing to do with firearms. But I had to ask in what little down time we had what they were using for optics. The two that were mentioned were Eotech and the Elcan. They used the Eotech for up close and the Elcan for distance. Since they were doing more up close work at that time the Eotech was getting more use.

I recently saw an ad for the Trijicon MRO with circle dot reticle.