PDA

View Full Version : Red dot glock research.

newyork
04-10-2020, 10:03 AM
Recently I sold a couple small things and was very close to choosing to send of my 19 slide to Jager. I’ve never used a pistol rds before so I was not so sure I wanted to but I’m curious. I have no chances to try a friends or anything like that.

When I looked at prices I saw that the rmr and SRO were with work were way higher than my $500 on hand so I started backing out. I do like the fact that the SRO battery can be changed without removal.

I ended up needing the money for bills but still wanted to ask some questions.

Is the SRO fine for aiwb carry?
Will the rmr be far off zero when removing for battery replacement ?
Should I not be sneering and pushing away the holosun because it’s Chinese? My thought have been hell no not a Chinese made gun product.
He was out of stock but at the time I could’ve afforded the holosun.

I don’t get to shoot much due to small kids and no time. Is the red dot a bad idea until I can start shooting much more again?

Rich

YVK
04-10-2020, 10:11 AM
Is the SRO fine for aiwb carry?

Will the rmr be far off zero when removing for battery replacement ?

I don’t get to shoot much do to small kids and no time. Is the red dot a bad idea until I can start shooting much more again?

SRO was a little too big for my preferences but doable.

Not too far, in my experience. Having a suppressor height sights and referencing the dot to them helps.

Yes, I wouldn't start with it if I couldn't give a good practice effort. Dots are frustrating early on for the most shooters, you do not need to put your work in, and if you don't shoot, you'll likely stall.

newyork
04-10-2020, 10:15 AM
Sounds like a $500-800 savings lol.

It’s killing me how little I’m able to shoot but I wouldn’t trade. When the youngest gets a little older it’ll be much easier.

What are your thoughts on Holosun? My objection was more about it being from China than its actual quality I suppose.

ssb
04-10-2020, 10:24 AM
I'm comfortable with a Holosun 407/507/508 dot, personally. I put about 4,000 rounds through a 507 and a 508 before moving on to the ACRO for reasons unrelated to dot quality, and the only issue I had was a bad pack of CR2032s (not the dot's fault). The things I didn't care for were the small dot size (some people like small, some people like big. I prefer a 5-6MOA dot) and the lack of a good auto-adjust feature (again, some people want that and some people don't).

If buying new, I'd hold out for one of the new V2 models for the simple reason that you no longer have to remove the optic to change the battery.

newyork
04-10-2020, 10:31 AM
Oh the holosun requires removal also?! Jeez. I’m clueless. So the SRO and Acro are it for non removal ?

I see Jager (not that I need to use them) uses Dawson tall sights. Any reason to NOT use Dawson tall sights?

I either carry a 48 or a J in pocket. The 19 is the house gun. But I carry it sometimes.

Is the SRO rugged enough for carry or is the rmr suggested?

newyork
04-10-2020, 10:45 AM
What is the dot size ppl suggested for all around uses? A friend suggested the rmr06 type. That’s 3.25moa I believe. I see type 1 are cheap. Type 2 like $440.

Up1911Fan
04-10-2020, 10:50 AM
The newer Holosun's don't need to be removed for battery replacement.

newyork
04-10-2020, 10:57 AM
The newer Holosun's don't need to be removed for battery replacement.

Which models for pistol rds are those?

STI
04-10-2020, 10:59 AM
Which models for pistol rds are those?

They have “V2” in the name

newyork
04-10-2020, 11:06 AM
Saw that thank you. Gotta get past the Chinese thing.

newyork
04-10-2020, 11:25 AM
Who’s got good rmr type 2 pricing?

dontshakepandas
04-10-2020, 12:57 PM
I would agree with the previous thought on the SRO size for carry. It's a little bigger than what I prefer, but still manageable since most of the size is closer to the belt line.

I prefer the 3.25 MOA dot size for RMR, and 5 MOA for the SRO. One big difference between the SRO and RMR that I have read about and found to be true is the auto brightness adjustment for the RMR seems to be brighter in the same lighting situation. Since the SRO will be dimmer for the same situation a larger dot can help make it easier to pick up. I still think the 3.25 RMR is still easier to see than the 5 MOA SRO in the same lighting situations with the auto adjustment turned on.

If you are new to dots, or really even if you aren't, the larger window of the SRO definitely makes picking up the dot easier from a draw or from awkward positions.

I just sold both of my SROs because they sat unused while I carried my RMR guns. The combination of them being a little bigger than I prefer, and the brightness issue just made me grab the RMR more often. Having to change the battery once a year isn't a big deal to me. My guns are milled, but I haven't had to adjust my zero after changing the battery at all. This may vary for MOS guns, but in all honesty having to verify your zero once a year isn't a bad idea anyways.

I also haven't used any of the Holosun options, mainly just because I'd prefer not to buy from China. Based on what I've seen, they seem to work just fine, but since other quality options are available I'd prefer to spend my money elsewhere.

Olim9
04-10-2020, 01:01 PM
I took an RDS instructor course with Dan Smith from Centrifuge Training a few months ago and some of the stuff Dan mentioned
•Holosuns can be DOA right out the gate or eventually crap out or work for high round count (the latter was my experience)
•an agency can purchase 100 Holosuns and have to send about a dozen back for repairs immediately whereas an agency that purchases 100 RMRs will only have to send out 3 after a couple of years
•the larger eotech reticle on the Holosuns act as ‘training wheels’ for shooters not accustomed to the red dot
•Holosun’s QA/QC is getting better

A student asked him about the SRO’s durability and he stated it’s on par with the Leupold DPP. As much as I would like to recommend the Holosun with the larger reticle, it would be a PITA on your part trying to get it fixed and vetted if you do get a bad one. I’d recommend either the 6.5 or 3.25 MOA Type 2 RMR and getting some online instruction from Scott Jedlinski then further reenforce fundamentals with dry practice.

newyork
04-10-2020, 01:07 PM
Wow thank you!!!!

I see the rmr06 type 2 3.25 moa at its lowest for $440. Anyone see cheaper?

Is there any difference besides dot size on the 6.5 moa rmr02 type 2? They’re $468.

vcdgrips
04-10-2020, 01:12 PM
From the outside looking in on this-Buy Quality Cry Once would be my motto for something I was going to CCW. To date, I think that strongly counsels for an RMR or perhaps an Aimpoint Acro or old school Aimpoint H/T series al la Dagga Boy's proof of concept model a few years back at the SHOT Show etc IIRC.

If you are "only" competing/training/plinking, no harm no foul.

HCM
04-10-2020, 01:12 PM
Oh the holosun requires removal also?! Jeez. I’m clueless. So the SRO and Acro are it for non removal ?

I see Jager (not that I need to use them) uses Dawson tall sights. Any reason to NOT use Dawson tall sights?

I either carry a 48 or a J in pocket. The 19 is the house gun. But I carry it sometimes.

Is the SRO rugged enough for carry or is the rmr suggested?

The first gen Holosuns require removal for battery change like the RMR. The newest ones don’t.

From a quality/durability standpoint the Holosuns have proven to be surprisingly good. But they are made in China and like all Chinese companies they have ties to the Chinese government.

newyork
04-10-2020, 01:31 PM
I think I’ll be passing on the whole Chinese thing. Acro seems massive but seems fantastic albeit having short battery life.
I don’t have great vision. I don’t wear glasses or anything but 25yd targets are far from clear to me. My brother suggested a 6.5 moa. Is that wrong? 3.25 seemed pretty standard.

newyork
04-10-2020, 01:55 PM
delete

rayrevolver
04-10-2020, 02:08 PM
Wow thank you!!!!

I see the rmr06 type 2 3.25 moa at its lowest for $440. Anyone see cheaper?

Is there any difference besides dot size on the 6.5 moa rmr02 type 2? They’re $468.

I sold a like-new but used Type 2 RMR 3.25moa for $350. $440 new seems like a decent price. And as it normally happens, shortly after I sold the RMR a G19 Suarez slide fell into my lap.

My first experience with a pistol and red dot was this setup:
https://live.staticflickr.com/755/32920782936_4f303b2c34_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Sa6BPN)

It was a cheap way to try it out and also the FF3 was not getting banged around. I shot a 22LR 2-gun match and pushed for speed outside of my comfort zone. It was amazing and I was in the top 3 for pistols that day. Maybe I was the only goofball with a red dot, I can't remember.

I am in no way trying to sway you to Holosun. This below is a fun-gun and a way to get me into a reciprocating red dot... for now.

I hate to put money in PRC pockets but just decided on the 407CO for the reticle (doughnut of death, NOT the EoTech style). $205 delivered made it easy to try. In dry-fire and timed draws, it is really nice and the doughnut is very crisp. I did not want to wait for the V2 CO version because these have been shown, outside of infant mortality, to be good optics with long battery life.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49758190267_0905125ef0_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2iNXJqc)

This thread has some good photos of this reticle:
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?38369-HE508T-First-impressions-and-initial-range-review-with-comparison-to-RMR&p=964325&viewfull=1#post964325

I hope this is my last PRC optic but we shall see. My last optic failure was a Trijicon MRO, so it does happen!

newyork
04-10-2020, 02:59 PM
What are the proper Ameriglo all black suppressor sights ? I see multiple heights. For an rmr06 on a gen 5 G19.

Olim9
04-10-2020, 03:12 PM
What are the proper Ameriglo all black suppressor sights ? I see multiple heights. For an rmr06 on a gen 5 G19.

The one ‘everyone’ gets is the GL-429.

newyork
04-10-2020, 03:14 PM
Thank you!!!

JSGlock34
04-10-2020, 07:20 PM
I believe the GL-506 is the MOS lower 1/3 co-witness height, and the GL-429 is intended for direct mill mounts. That said, I think the GL-429 will serve on a MOS gun, but will be a little lower than the traditional 1/3 co-witness.

JSGlock34
04-10-2020, 07:47 PM
I think I’ll be passing on the whole Chinese thing. Acro seems massive but seems fantastic albeit having short battery life.
I don’t have great vision. I don’t wear glasses or anything but 25yd targets are far from clear to me. My brother suggested a 6.5 moa. Is that wrong? 3.25 seemed pretty standard.

Depends on the optic. My SRO has a 5MOA dot, but the dot seems smaller and more precise than the 3.25 on the RMR.

Hawk87
04-10-2020, 07:49 PM
The one ‘everyone’ gets is the GL-429.

I have been looking at a red dot as well. Why don’t people use tritium sights, in case the dot fails in the dark?

dontshakepandas
04-10-2020, 08:19 PM
I have been looking at a red dot as well. Why don’t people use tritium sights, in case the dot fails in the dark?

Most people like plain black just to keep the sight picture from being too busy. I don’t want anything competing with the dot.

Also, I prefer a flashlight to night sights for shooting in the dark so I can see what I’m shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MGW
04-10-2020, 09:12 PM
I’ve only borrowed red dot pistols and never owned one. I have a little experience with an RMR, Holosun (don’t remember the model but it was recent, a DPP, and most recently an SRO. The SRO is silly easy to use. Glass is really clear and the dot is easy to find in the window. I’ve used it on a cloudy day and as of today a really bright and sunny day. I love the 5 MOA dot.

For me personally if I was buying it would be an SRO. It’s the first dot for me that has me really thinking about making the jump. It felt like cheating.

ldunnmobile
04-10-2020, 10:13 PM
http://youtu.be/UzjgOq60vFE

This bothers me on the SRO. As statistically unlikely as it may be to drop your pistol... they still get dropped. (Sage Dynamics SRO Test)

I’m sure it rocks in competition.

Magsz
04-10-2020, 11:35 PM
http://youtu.be/UzjgOq60vFE

This bothers me on the SRO. As statistically unlikely as it may be to drop your pistol... they still get dropped. (Sage Dynamics SRO Test)

I’m sure it rocks in competition.

I appreciate Aarons testing and his data points but to apply that same testing to CCW use is absurd. If the dot breaks and shatters use your irons, use an index, intuitive shot, etc. A fall that would damage an SRO is going to damage your iron sights too, or one could argue that.

I would carry an SRO IF the footprint doesnt bother you without hesitation. I would carry an SRO on duty as well and will when/if we move to red dots.

HopetonBrown
04-10-2020, 11:52 PM
It's unfortunate the outsize influence "torture tests" and drop tests have had given their anecdotal nature.

I watched "Sully" last night. Despite that individual outcome, probably still not a good idea to attempt a water landing with a passenger plane.

newyork
04-11-2020, 07:16 PM
One sight I haven’t mentioned was the ACRO. Seems it’s bomb proof but large and battery life is like 2-4 weeks. Is that right?!

They seem different in different pictures. Are they that big? Too large for aiwb? Again, I’d likely have my J or 48 on me but I’d like to carry it here and there too. Is the battery life turning out to be that short for most ppl? I read some of the Acro thread but it’s long.

Up1911Fan
04-11-2020, 08:13 PM
One sight I haven’t mentioned was the ACRO. Seems it’s bomb proof but large and battery life is like 2-4 weeks. Is that right?!

They seem different in different pictures. Are they that big? Too large for aiwb? Again, I’d likely have my J or 48 on me but I’d like to carry it here and there too. Is the battery life turning out to be that short for most ppl? I read some of the Acro thread but it’s long.

I haven't handled either, but the ACRO and 509T scream duty optic, not CCW.

newyork
04-11-2020, 08:16 PM
Makes sense. The rmr06 and SRO seem my answer. Love the idea of the bigger glass and easy access battery of the SRO. Loving the ruggedness of the rmr.

Up1911Fan
04-11-2020, 08:35 PM
I like my RMR's but will be buying a couple Holosun's to try out. 407K for a 43X and a 508T for a G45.

newyork
04-12-2020, 05:31 AM
So, last night I ordered a set of GL-429 from Brownells. It’s a seed. The starting point. I’ll get mill money saved up and send them the sights to install while milling. Then I’ll save for the rmr/SRO/Acro, whatever I choose.

rayrevolver
04-12-2020, 08:09 AM
So, last night I ordered a set of GL-429 from Brownells. It’s a seed. The starting point. I’ll get mill money saved up and send them the sights to install while milling. Then I’ll save for the rmr/SRO/Acro, whatever I choose.

See this thread:
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?41687-Warrens-as-MRDS-back-up-sights

With a direct milled slide .215 front .250 rear standard height sights can work.

They are peekaboo and don't take up the red dot window at all.

Depending on what Gen G19, your current sights might work and are already zero'd!

Just a thought. Good luck!

Edit: I suppose the challenge is finding a rear .250 that is skinny to fit behind a dot... As opposed to chopping one.

newyork
04-12-2020, 08:13 AM
Gen 5 19 with Bolds. Not MOS. I was going to have Jager mill it. You think my Bolds will be high enough? If so damn I just wasted $50 lol

rayrevolver
04-12-2020, 08:18 AM
Gen 5 19 with Bolds. Not MOS. I was going to have Jager mill it. You think my Bolds will be high enough? If so damn I just wasted $50 lol

I *think* the Gen5s are lower based on my G5G34 and my issues in that previous thread with a 19. So you would still need higher sights.

Do you have calipers to measure your sights?

Brownells has a good return policy.

Happy Easter.

newyork
04-12-2020, 08:23 AM
I don’t. I’ll probably keep the gl-429 and install to be sure or ask Jager to check before swapping.

MGW
04-12-2020, 09:28 AM
Makes sense. The rmr06 and SRO seem my answer. Love the idea of the bigger glass and easy access battery of the SRO. Loving the ruggedness of the rmr.

Isn’t GJM running the crud out of SRO’s now? Maybe he said he’s still running RMRs for carry?

The battery life on the ACRO kills it for me.

In my limited experience I much preferred the bigger dot size to the smaller dot size.

I don’t think you would go wrong with the SRO or RMR. I think you would be much happier with the SRO though. I think it’s just splitting hairs on durability and size. When’s the last time your dropped a gun on concrete? I would much rather have the clear glass and easy to find dot.

newyork
04-12-2020, 09:55 AM
Isn’t GJM running the crud out of SRO’s now? Maybe he said he’s still running RMRs for carry?

The battery life on the ACRO kills it for me.

In my limited experience I much preferred the bigger dot size to the smaller dot size.

I don’t think you would go wrong with the SRO or RMR. I think you would be much happier with the SRO though. I think it’s just splitting hairs on durability and size. When’s the last time your dropped a gun on concrete? I would much rather have the clear glass and easy to find dot.

You’re making a lot of sense here. I’ve never dropped one or fell hard on one at my appendix. I’d just put my hands down. If I fell while carrying it that hard, I should probably be incapacitated lol.

Clay1
04-12-2020, 10:10 AM
Not GJM, but I always like to listen to his comments. I think that he has been running prototype new Delta Point Pros. New battery compartments, if I read it and remember it right. They are just about to hit the market. Check out GJM's comments on page 28 here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?37128-Red-dot-update-June-2019/page28

Bought two RMRs around Black Friday / Christmas for about $400 each. Today this is what I am finding: https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/trijicon%20rm06

(https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/trijicon%20rm06)

newyork
04-12-2020, 10:12 AM
For the rmr I’d probably do the 3.25. Not sure what I’d do if I go SRO. 2.5 or 5. My gut says 5. My eyes are meh. And I’m rusty and slow.

noguns
04-12-2020, 10:14 AM
No one plans on an accident happening.

The first time I dropped a firearm was just recently and It just happened to be my MOS with a 508t on it. Whether it made a difference that it was more sturdy(titanium housing) I'm not sure.

I've never used an SRO but I think I would sacrifice a large window for more durability.

newyork
04-12-2020, 11:09 AM
Looks like best prices are
$440 rmr06 3.25 moa
$490 SRO 1, 2.5 or 5 moa

MGW
04-12-2020, 11:30 AM
Looks like best prices are
$440 rmr06 3.25 moa
$490 SRO 1, 2.5 or 5 moa

That’s about what I’m seeing for the SRO. BigTex Outdoors $481. Arms Unlimited $495.

For what it’s worth I shot an unbelievably tight 5 shot 1.5” group with a 320 X full-size at 15 yards with an SRO yesterday. And I suck at shooting groups.

newyork
04-12-2020, 11:36 AM
What size dot were you using. I suck at groups too.

MGW
04-12-2020, 12:39 PM
5 MOA. I didn’t follow though on the last shot and opened the group up or it would have been a lot smaller. I understand anyone that hesitates to go to the bigger dot size but a 5 MOA dot is still small compared to a front sight.

newyork
04-12-2020, 01:31 PM
I have some other more practical things that need buying but holy Jeez I’m tempted to pass over them and spend money I shouldn’t!

GearFondler
04-12-2020, 01:55 PM
I have some other more practical things that need buying but holy Jeez I’m tempted to pass over them and spend money I shouldn’t!Practical is boring... There are orcs to be slain!

newyork
04-12-2020, 02:02 PM
Hahahaha!!!!

JSGlock34
04-12-2020, 02:04 PM
For what it's worth, my 5MOA SRO dot looks smaller and clearer than my 3.25 RMR dot. You'd think you were comparing apples and apples, yet...

miller_man
04-12-2020, 03:46 PM
Just throwing out my experiences.

Been running red dots since last May. Started with vortex venom, then RMR on competition pistol, then put RMR on carry gun and put an SRO on competition gun when they became available. Just put a 2nd SRO on new, back up competition gun and if I could find a way to fit a rear sight on the slide with an SRO, I'd run the SRO exclusively (P-07/09 slides, not enough room with front overhang of SRO). I don't fret that much about dropping my guns, if so, get a new optic. Hwansik Kim just stated he has over 40k rounds through an SRO without a single problem and I have read a few reports of high round counts with SRO's with no problems. I have read a few people had the zero walking on them but doesn't seem too common. Plus GJM hasn't broken one . . . yet. But think he did switch to the sig optic a little while ago.

I have two RMR's - one type 2 06 with 3.25, one type 2 07 with 6.5, both SRO's are 5.0. The dot size only seems big on the rmr 07 with the 6.5 - mostly because it isn't adjustable. Between the 06 and SROs the difference isn't too noticeable to me. I usually set the brightness manually - you can make the dot look smaller or bigger a good amount by adjusting the brightness. Going 3.25 with rmr and 5.0 with SRO seems to be the choice most prefer, I think for good reason.

I have gotten spoiled with the generous window of the SRO when I switch back to the RMR. Had noticed trouble having the dot high and JUST out of the shorter window of the rmr. But that probably comes from running 80% of practice with competition gear and not as much time/practice as I should with carry gear. After taking a Modern Samurai Project class in Feb and getting much needed tweaks, I have started to start every practice session with 5-10 minutes with my carry gear/rmr and have seen a big improvement in working with the smaller rmr window. This also seems to make running the SRO more effortless too. I still think the rmr window is small and takes more effort and practice to consistently, always have the dot. The SRO is VERY forgiving and effortless for that. The vortex venom on another slide is noticeably easier to be consistent with having the dot on the draw. I have gone back and forth on considering trying out a Holosun optic for the carry gun. But I do like the pretty robust track record of the rmr, the SRO is turning out to be pretty darn reliable too though.

newyork
04-13-2020, 08:43 AM
I see L&M is a little cheaper than what I was looking at. He also only refinished the milled area which is good since I can keep the nDLC. 4 weeks. Still not sure whether rmr or SRO

MGW
04-13-2020, 09:23 AM
Off topic miller_man did you post an AAR of Jedlinski’s class somewhere? I’m not running a red dot yet but when I get the chance I’m thinking about taking a class from him.

newyork
04-13-2020, 09:39 AM
Wouldn’t mind hearing from GJM for advice.

miller_man
04-13-2020, 09:58 AM
Off topic miller_man did you post an AAR of Jedlinski’s class somewhere? I’m not running a red dot yet but when I get the chance I’m thinking about taking a class from him.

No, I kinda suck for not doing so! I always plan on doing so after classes but then I always feel inadequate when I start trying to do it. I couldn't recommend it enough though! I will try to put something together in my journal soon and tag you. Scott is top shelf and really has so much useful input, his grasp on techniques to make things easier is pretty amazing.

MGW
04-13-2020, 10:34 AM
No, I kinda suck for not doing so! I always plan on doing so after classes but then I always feel inadequate when I start trying to do it. I couldn't recommend it enough though! I will try to put something together in my journal soon and tag you. Scott is top shelf and really has so much useful input, his grasp on techniques to make things easier is pretty amazing.

I’m terrible about not writing things up too. I’ve heard nothing but good things about his class. Sounds like you enjoyed it. He definitely on my list.

GJM
04-13-2020, 11:59 AM
Wouldn’t mind hearing from GJM for advice.

Advice on what?

newyork
04-13-2020, 12:03 PM
GJM A better option between SRO and rmr for my first pistol dot. Which is the better choice to learn on and rugged enough for edc. If I choose to carry it vs my 48. It’ll mostly be range and it’s my HD gun. But It will get carried a few months of the year.

GJM
04-13-2020, 12:41 PM
GJM A better option between SRO and rmr for my first pistol dot. Which is the better choice to learn on and rugged enough for edc. If I choose to carry it vs my 48. It’ll mostly be range and it’s my HD gun. But It will get carried a few months of the year.

To put on what pistol? The RMR has better auto intensity and is stronger, the SRO is easier to shoot.

newyork
04-13-2020, 12:43 PM
To put on what pistol? The RMR has better auto intensity and is stronger, the SRO is easier to shoot.

Gen 5 G19.

StraitR
04-15-2020, 09:33 AM
I believe the GL-506 is the MOS lower 1/3 co-witness height, and the GL-429 is intended for direct mill mounts. That said, I think the GL-429 will serve on a MOS gun, but will be a little lower than the traditional 1/3 co-witness.

I put GL-429's on my 45 MOS slide with CHPWS V3 plate and love them. Just tall enough to be useful, and maximizes useful viewing area in the already tiny RMR window. I'd say a little more than half the rear notch is useful, and is about a lower 1/5ish co-witness.

I went with the RM06 6.5moa because...

1- The bigger dot is easier for me to pick up.
2- The bigger dot has perceivably less movement to me.
3- The bigger dot is still roughly half the width of a standard Glock front sight, so already offers a precision increase that my skill level is still working up to.

No regrets on the 6.5moa choice. That said, I will likely go 3.25moa on my next RMR simply to make it a useful option on long guns (PDW type).

ETA: Rich, I can't adequately put into words my elation with the pistol dot at this point. If you can swing it without any discomfort, I would urge you to.

JSGlock34
04-15-2020, 11:42 AM
RMR prices seem to be steadily climbing.

newyork
04-16-2020, 06:00 PM
I just realized that I can do an rmr on my G48 with an adapter. Hmmmm. Now I’m really stuck. 48 is kind of perfect in NY other than the lack of light rail. Had it in mind the 19 made more sense with an rmr but idk

Olim9
04-17-2020, 12:29 AM
I just realized that I can do an rmr on my G48 with an adapter. Hmmmm. Now I’m really stuck. 48 is kind of perfect in NY other than the lack of light rail. Had it in mind the 19 made more sense with an rmr but idk

Get the dot for what you see yourself carrying the most.

newyork
04-17-2020, 05:10 AM
G48 it is. 19 is mostly an HD.

dontshakepandas
04-17-2020, 09:01 AM
I'd actually suggest getting the dot for what you see yourself practicing with the most to start off with. There is a bit of a learning curve so many people don't suggest just adding a dot and going straight to carrying it.

If you carry the 48 more, it may be better to go with a dot on the 19 until you feel you are comfortable enough to add one to your carry gun, then either move it over or add a second dot.

Olim9
04-17-2020, 09:30 AM
I'd actually suggest getting the dot for what you see yourself practicing with the most to start off with. There is a bit of a learning curve so many people don't suggest just adding a dot and going straight to carrying it.

If you carry the 48 more, it may be better to go with a dot on the 19 until you feel you are comfortable enough to add one to your carry gun, then either move it over or add a second dot.

I take my previous post back, this is a better idea.

newyork
04-17-2020, 11:14 AM
I also have a VP9 that I don’t rely on for carry or HD. Hmmm.

1911Nut
04-17-2020, 01:15 PM

newyork
04-17-2020, 01:25 PM

Thank you?! Good input there.

1911Nut
04-17-2020, 01:31 PM
Glad you have a good sense of humor!

newyork
04-17-2020, 01:34 PM
I do. In text sometimes it’s hard to know how to take things. Some guys would’ve posted that and truly meant it (many). Some couldn’t be bothered to help even when called on. Some are truly helpful and keep answering my annoying questions.

babypanther
04-17-2020, 02:15 PM
OP- why have you settled on Jager to cut it? Reason I ask is I had my Glock cut by ATEI, and I am very happy with their work. I had them do the pro cut and send in my RMR to be installed at that time. Their "universal" cut is only $80.00, if you declined to have it refinished then that could save you some dough.

To your original question, and I'm sure by now you have been convinced, but I really would encourage you to give the RDS a try, and even if it is rough at first keep at it. I don't know how much you dry-fire but I recommend you plan on setting time aside to work on this. I have a friend that had a RMR on his G34, I shot it a few different times and actually didn't like it at first. My issues were 1: I had trouble finding the dot on the draw, due to being used to watching for the top of the FS post rising onto my POA and then letting the rear notch "fill in" while prepping the trigger, and 2: I was losing it sometimes shot to shot. Once I got used to dealing with those issues and getting used to the idea that the dot would reappear or track in a consistent pattern if my weak hand grip was consistent and strong, that was the lightbulb going off moment when I knew I needed one.

I have no experience running anything other than RMR's. Mine is the 1 MOA dot, I have shot it side by side with the 2 MOA and the 3.25, I have no preference between the three.

newyork
04-17-2020, 02:21 PM
I haven’t settled on Jager. Actually I was thinking of using L&M instead. He’s the cheaper of the two, has a good name, only cerakotes the milled area and offers to charge at the end.

Thank you for that info and the encouragement. I’ll definitely be working to get it. I’ve heard the dot is a huge help.

It’s the financial part that’s hard to squeak by with.

I’m very interested in doing this. Even though olive had a long shoplifting hiatus I’ve been getting back to dry firing a bit I’m up to 4x this week and figured I’d keep a 4-5 night, 45 min session regiment going.

I would try any of the reputable guys if price was fair. I put up a WTB rmr06 type 2 ad.

It might just take me a few months to pull off.

Up1911Fan
04-17-2020, 03:35 PM
I personally would put the RMR on the 19. I don't like the idea of putting an optic thats wider than the slide on a single stack. My normal carry is a G19/RMR. I'm waiting on a Holosun 407K to put on a 43X which I'll probably carry often once the optic and S15 mags are vetted.

newyork
04-18-2020, 10:29 AM
1st step has arrived. Lol. $45 out of $650 accomplished. Ha!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200418/ef1181831982b5c1237432040ae538ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MGW
04-18-2020, 11:40 AM
Just an idea here. Would you be able to sell something to fund a second G48 and put a dot on that? Then you still have a vetted carry gun and a dot gun to work with.

newyork
04-18-2020, 12:03 PM
Freaking excellent idea! I don’t really. I have a 19. I have a few other guns that were presents from my brother when I was hurting and sold most of my guns. I have a couple knives I carry daily and some other stuff that wouldn’t yield much. Currently I have 2 items for sale worth maybe $200 total. That’s it.

I guess this doesn’t have to happen now though. That could be a great goal. 2nd 48 and set one up as an rmr. Maybe one 48 one 43X.

Boomer
04-28-2020, 12:23 AM
My 2 cents? If you’re deciding between the RMR and SRO, get the SRO. 5 MOA being my preference. Both are great optics. I’ve run an RMR on a G21 for about 6 years. No complaints with the RMR, other than what is, to me, a small(ish) window size. I put an SRO on my G34 MOS competition gun. Amazingly easy to pick up the dot with the larger, clearer glass. Granted, I only have about 5K rounds thru the SRO so far, but I like it enough that I bought another one and slapped it on a G45 as my daily CCW. Both have performed without issues.

I understand that it might not be quite as robust as an RMR under extremely harsh use, or torture tests. And it’s always good to plan for worst case scenarios. However, since I have no plans to deploy to the far reaches of Asskrackistan, if I SOMEHOW manage to damage it, I can most likely survive using my iron sights until I return home from the supermarket or hiking with my dogs. Let’s be realistic. With any of these quality optics, if it’s going to go tits up, it’s most likely going to be during the many rounds you fire in training and practice, rather than during the remarkably slim chance that you need to fire X number of rounds in defense of yourself or others during the course of your daily life.

If I was still working the mean streets as a police officer (25 years, retired for 10 now), I wouldn’t hesitate to use it, or an RMR. The ease of getting faster, more precise hits far outweighs any potential downside. (For me.)

With ALL of that being said, decide for yourself, and use whatever gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling. If not having the absolutely most rugged sight is going to cause you to wake up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night, get the RMR. Ultimately, it’s your a$$ and your peace of mind.

I’ve used both L&M and Jagerwerks. Both did great work. Jagerwerks did my last one, my G45. Very fast turnaround time and a very precise cut. The SRO “popped” into the cut, with no perceived play. I had them leave the slide cut uncoated, and just taped off that area and sprayed it with some black Rustoleum high temp paint. I’ve done that on my last three slide cuts, and it’s kept them rust free. But I live in low humidity Nevada, and haven’t needed to wade thru any swamps lately. YMMV.

newyork
12-10-2020, 12:11 PM
So, despite it being completely selfish and irresponsible I think I’m ready to send my 19 in now. It’s not my carry so it can be set aside to dry fire and learn the dot. I’ll carry my 48. One day I’ll dot that too when I can spend and I feel comfortable with a dot.

I’m looking at L&M today and he has an rmr06 type and a 2.5 moa SRO. Both seem fine. Particularly the SRO if I’m not carrying it much at all.

On the other hand, a friend is really pushing me to get a Holosun 507c x2 and save like $170-200. I’d love that savings, it’d help a lot. Something really bugs me about the Chinese origin. It’s in my head that there’s a good chance at lemons and bad CS. That and the billboard Holosun logo bug me.

Tough one here.

vcdgrips
12-10-2020, 01:32 PM
Between the likelihood of QC issues or lack there of between the Holosun and the Trijicon and the PRC origin of the Holosun, the issue and solution are fairly clear.

Is your best performance under most adverse circumstances and self professed patriotism worth the saved 200.00?

Odds v Stakes etc.

If you had to ask the question, you already know the answer...

edited to add: Edge of my lane: why not dot the gun you are going to carry? It does not seem particularly efficient, particular in a time of of high cost/low avail of ammo, to burn in the thousands of reps to get good with a dot on a gun that you will not be regularly carrying.

newyork
12-10-2020, 01:38 PM
Between the likelihood of QC issues or lack there of between the Holosun and the Trijicon and the PRC origin of the Holosun, the issue and solution are fairly clear.

Is your best performance under most adverse circumstances and self professed patriotism worth the saved 200.00?

Odds v Stakes etc.

If you had to ask the question, you already know the answer...

edited to add: Edge of my lane: why not dot the gun you are going to carry? It does not seem particularly efficient, particular in a time of of high cost/low avail of ammo, to burn in the thousands of reps to get good with a dot on a gun that you will not be regularly carrying.

If I read you right, it sounds like Trijicon is the answer.

Up1911Fan
12-10-2020, 01:54 PM
So, despite it being completely selfish and irresponsible I think I’m ready to send my 19 in now. It’s not my carry so it can be set aside to dry fire and learn the dot. I’ll carry my 48. One day I’ll dot that too when I can spend and I feel comfortable with a dot.

I’m looking at L&M today and he has an rmr06 type and a 2.5 moa SRO. Both seem fine. Particularly the SRO if I’m not carrying it much at all.

On the other hand, a friend is really pushing me to get a Holosun 507c x2 and save like $170-200. I’d love that savings, it’d help a lot. Something really bugs me about the Chinese origin. It’s in my head that there’s a good chance at lemons and bad CS. That and the billboard Holosun logo bug me.

Tough one here.
I have a few RMR type 2's that I really like, but also really like the 2 507c V2's I have. I wouldn't hesitate to get the Holosun to dip your toes in the RDS waters.