PDA

View Full Version : I shot a 2.77 FAST today.

DonovanM
05-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Just kidding, it was Ben Stoeger with the latest installment of the FAST WARS :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_PMTtHOPkc

JHC
05-18-2012, 06:44 PM
These speed demons shoot totally upright. How about the method of aggressive forward stance; chin past the belt buckle etc for running the gun/controlling recoil? Myth? Or N/A for 9mm?

BTW - this dueling warp speed FAST is a lot fun. Thanks to both "combatants"!

DonovanM
05-18-2012, 06:51 PM
I thought so too at first, but in this video, the camera is angled. It's best to think of Ben like a racing driver - like Nigel Mansell, or the Stig. They could talk to you all day about driving (shooting), but start asking them other questions, like how to operate a video camera properly, and it becomes obvious quick that they're pretty much a high functioning retard :)

Ben Stoeger
05-18-2012, 06:59 PM
I thought so too at first, but in this video, the camera is angled. It's best to think of Ben like a racing driver - like Nigel Mansell, or the Stig. They could talk to you all day about driving (shooting), but start asking them other questions, like how to operate a video camera properly, and it becomes obvious quick that they're pretty much a high functioning retard :)

This is why I need a wife. She normally handles complicated things like video cameras and brassing.

EmanP
05-18-2012, 07:05 PM
These speed demons shoot totally upright. How about the method of aggressive forward stance; chin past the belt buckle etc for running the gun/controlling recoil? Myth? Or N/A for 9mm?

Economy of motion says you move one thing, the gun, not two. However you want to stand is up to you but it has to be consistant. If you were to look though at all the top 16, almost to a man they all stand completely upright. Doesn't matter what division and caliber has nothing to do with it. Personally, I've been standing since I was a kid. Don't need to relearn how to do that or walk or run or anything else. Shooting is what I need to work on, not the other things.

GOP
05-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Awesome work! And here I was excited about my clean 3.91 FAST earlier. Those two are inspiring me to be better!

guymontag
05-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Fast! :D

To have amazing shooters like Todd Green, Dave Sevigny, Bob Vogel, and Ben Stoeger documenting their runs via video is great motivation for a novice like myself. Watching different techniques with similar end results is intriguing.

From footage I've seen, DonovanM and OrigamiAK are no slouches either ha!

Mr_White
05-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Wow, Ben, totally fantastic shooting.

When you make these videos, I would sure like to see the time breakdown in addition to the total time.

gtmtnbiker98
05-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Where was the camera? Nice vest! Sorry, had to add that.

CCT125US
05-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Crap...... after two weeks of not shooting, I manage a clean sub 5 second run on my third attempt and you post a 2.77. That is just mean.

lindertw
05-18-2012, 10:17 PM
flip flops to boot... sheesh that's fast!

sff70
05-19-2012, 12:23 AM
For handguns, stance is overrated.

Grip > stance

Use a crush grip. That's what Ben showed us at a class. It works.

JHC
05-19-2012, 04:21 AM
Economy of motion says you move one thing, the gun, not two. However you want to stand is up to you but it has to be consistant. If you were to look though at all the top 16, almost to a man they all stand completely upright. Doesn't matter what division and caliber has nothing to do with it. Personally, I've been standing since I was a kid. Don't need to relearn how to do that or walk or run or anything else. Shooting is what I need to work on, not the other things.

That sounds ruthlessly logical. :D

JHC
05-19-2012, 04:23 AM
For handguns, stance is overrated.

Grip > stance

Use a crush grip. That's what Ben showed us at a class. It works.

+1. I had very inconsistent experience with Glocks until the heavier grip approach won out.

beltjones
05-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Man, who is going to step up and beat that? I think it will stand for quite a while.

GOP
05-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Phrasing

BWT
05-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Two things.

One, I don't know if this counts because it wasn't in the requirements, as far as before an instructor, etc.

Two, I know everybody says that the Vest doesn't matter, that it really shouldn't matter, that it's just a garment, but I'd like to note that all of speed breaking records have been with Vests on since Sevigny set the first record.

Was that a Glock 34?

Ben Stoeger
05-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Two things.

One, I don't know if this counts because it wasn't in the requirements, as far as before an instructor, etc.

Two, I know everybody says that the Vest doesn't matter, that it really shouldn't matter, that it's just a garment, but I'd like to note that all of speed breaking records have been with Vests on since Sevigny set the first record.

Was that a Glock 34?

This was not an attempt at any record. I am just messing with Vogel and shooting for my own enjoyment. I am trying to get trained up to score a coin in class, not set a record.

The gun is a Beretta.

I suspect I would have a faster first shot time if I switched to junk carry, but the reload would likely slow down some. I don't really know. I just shoot with the gear I have and try and work with that.

ToddG
05-19-2012, 12:32 PM

I think it's fairly well settled that an open front garment, especially one with stiffness at the zipper (phrasing!), has a measurable speed advantage compared to appendix carry with a closed front garment. While the aiwb draw is faster, you lose more on the reload than you gain on the draw.

Looking at the coin winners, all but three have been from open front concealment. SLG did his from either under an untucked polo with behind the hip iwb or from an SLS holster, I can't recall. JV did his from aiwb under an untucked polo. And Joe S. did his from an SLS.

All of those methods are legal in terms of the actual test. I know far too many people who concealed carry with open front garments -- I did for many years myself, including during the time the F.A.S.T. was developed -- to outlaw or penalize it.

Patrick Scott
05-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Fine work Ben, needs more "Baller" though. I can help you with that. Im gonna get to work on this. Todays first time(drill, vest, everything) through was pretty dismal 6.92s.
Yeah I pretty much phoned it in.

http://youtu.be/I9DPpK2apRo

jslaker
05-19-2012, 04:48 PM
All of those methods are legal in terms of the actual test. I know far too many people who concealed carry with open front garments -- I did for many years myself, including during the time the F.A.S.T. was developed -- to outlaw or penalize it.

I think a lot of people fixate on the SMF vest as unrealistic for "normal" people. I consider myself a fairly normal guy for his late 20s (though I'm sure some would disagree ;)), and my normal mode of dress outside of work is jeans, t-shirt, and an overshirt. Until I started carrying appendix, that shirt was usually unbuttoned, too.

I don't get the big deal about gaming with garments either.

TGS
05-19-2012, 07:47 PM
DA/SA is obviously a crappy trigger. SFA is so much better.

Not.