PDA

View Full Version : RFI Ram Rebel

Crazy Dane
04-08-2020, 03:23 PM
I'm not gonna lie, I am looking to take advantage of the current situation. Ram trucks is advertising 0% for 84 months and the Ram Rebel has caught my eye. what is the good, bad and ugly on these trucks? I would be leaving a '16 Tundra which I cannot complain about. I just started looking today. I am gonna put a lot of time into the internet, just thought I would ask opinions here too.

Grey
04-08-2020, 03:25 PM
I'm not gonna lie, I am looking to take advantage of the current situation. Ram trucks is advertising 0% for 84 months and the Ram Rebel has caught my eye. what is the good, bad and ugly on these trucks? I would be leaving a '16 Tundra which I cannot complain about. I just started looking today. I am gonna put a lot of time into the internet, just thought I would ask opinions here too.

Tagging in for interest... 0% for 7 years is ridiculous and I really want a truck...

rob_s
04-08-2020, 03:30 PM
I have a 15 or 16 ram sport. I considered the Rebel when I bought but I couldn’t really justify all the flash and added cost.

One thing I don’t like is the stitching on the seats. Most of the rest of the badging can be stripped or optioned out.

Crazy Dane
04-08-2020, 03:31 PM
Tagging in for interest... 0% for 7 years is ridiculous and I really want a truck...

I know right? That is straight up free money and is why I may just jump ship. I just checked my Credit Karma and they got me at 788 which is usually a little low. I am setting up an appointment for Friday morning when I get off.

Crazy Dane
04-08-2020, 03:36 PM
I have a 15 or 16 ram sport. I considered the Rebel when I bought but I couldn’t really justify all the flash and added cost.

One thing I don’t like is the stitching on the seats. Most of the rest of the badging can be stripped or optioned out.

I haven ruled out any other models and quite honestly I haven't ever even given Ram a glance until now(I was a strong Ford guy until they sold out to the soccer parents). Right now I am shopping by internet and trying to make sense of all the options. I don't think I have ever even sat in one..

blues
04-08-2020, 03:38 PM
I got a similar deal on a vehicle after 9/11 when I sold my Acura to buy American.

Darth_Uno
04-08-2020, 03:40 PM
Rebel looks cool going down the road, but the Laramie has a better interior. JMO. If you like such niceties, I think the Rebel offers leather this year, which they didn't before.

Tundra, normally my first choice, is dated. New 1/2 ton and HD Silverados are butt ugly, no offense to anyone who has one. And I can't buy a Ford because my brother would rub it in non-stop. So if I was in the market today I'd probably look at Ram.

Darth_Uno
04-08-2020, 03:42 PM

Dave Ramsey says don't do it.

blues
04-08-2020, 03:47 PM

I'd tell Dave Ramsey to pound sand. When I took a five or six year 0 percent loan, I got invoice pricing. The dealer only made the "hold back", which was not negotiable. It saved me from making a near $40,000 outlay at the time, and I was able to continue investing that and additional money as the monthly cost was so low.

I take all financial gurus with a grain of salt unless I've vetted them.

rob_s
04-08-2020, 03:56 PM

It looks like the new intterior options for the Rebel allow you to choose not to have their red/black gaudy neck-beard trailer-park inerior, which in turn means you don't have to have the "rebel" stitching, which is good.

ranger
04-08-2020, 03:58 PM
I am in a similar situation - I have a 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie (HEMI of course!) - and I am thinking up trading in on a 2020 Ram 1500. I would probably go for "luxury" over "sport" so I would probably get a Laramie or similar package.

I have over 90000 miles on my 2015 Ram 1500. Had a recent issue where the engine went down with a minor issue but that was covered with the 100,000 drive train warranty. Had to replace the center video screen again under warranty. The Ram has served us well and had somewhat hard life as my wife tool it over as soon as I bought and it she enjoyed the HEMI (I understand why she wanted me to get the nicer truck).

I am also considering a Suburban, Yukon XL, or Expedition. This would be my retirement vehicle for going to Sporting Clays, rifle and pistol shoots, hunting, and travel. We like our 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R but it may not be "big enough" for me, wife, 2 dogs, and stuff.

PS: We bought the Subaru on 0% financing - prepared to pay cash but why at 0%. We bought the Ram at almost 0% financing.

Darth_Uno
04-08-2020, 03:59 PM
I'd tell Dave Ramsey to pound sand. /

I take all financial gurus with a grain of salt unless I've vetted them.Same. I was ready to pay cash, but financed 100% of my '17 Silverado (at 2.7%) and made substantially more than that investing. Well, until I lost it all last month.

Crazy Dane
04-08-2020, 04:04 PM

Whos that and why does he have input on my finances?

Darth_Uno
04-08-2020, 04:04 PM
I am also considering a Suburban, Yukon XL, or Expedition. This would be my retirement vehicle for going to Sporting Clays, rifle and pistol shoots, hunting, and travel. We like our 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R but it may not be "big enough" for me, wife, 2 dogs, and stuff.

My wife wanted a 4Runner. But I always liked Tahoes and Yukons, I said let's see what those are running these days. Checked the price, and told her to buy whatever 4Runner you want. :eek: Damn, a loaded Tahoe costs more than our first house.

ranger
04-08-2020, 04:07 PM
My wife wanted a 4Runner. But I always liked Tahoes and Yukons, I said let's see what those are running these days. Checked the price, and told her to buy whatever 4Runner you want. :eek: Damn, a loaded Tahoe costs more than our first house.

They will not be selling those big SUVs at sticker. In NW GA, dealers are selling full size pickups at $12000 to $18000 discounts.

Crazy Dane
04-08-2020, 04:25 PM

Toyota isn't even hungry right now. I talked to them last Friday and today and the best they got is 1.6 for 36 months.

blues
04-08-2020, 04:30 PM
Toyota isn't even hungry right now. I talked to them last Friday and today and the best they got is 1.6 for 36 months.

FES, I bought my 4Runner from Jim Barkley (before the change to Anderson) for cash. If it's not zero I didn't even want to consider financing.

Grey
04-08-2020, 04:33 PM

If you can afford the payment and you actually don't go full stupid with the options, 0% is free money no matter how you cut it.

bofe954
04-08-2020, 04:37 PM
I have a '15 Laramie. About 80K miles, 5.7L. It had some kind of power window control module replaced, valve cover gasket and broken exhaust manifold studs replaced. The exhaust manifold studs breaking seems to be a 5.7L issue going back for years if you look. Other than that just maintenance, haven't even had to do brakes. The new one is a little nicer and the back seat of the crew cab is really impressive.

I've been building trucks online lately and the Laramie packages are annoying me. Can't seem to get the 32 gallon tank in one anymore. I'd like the newer safety stuff (blind spot etc) and it doesn't seem like I can get that in the Laramie without the 5.7 with the "eTorque" and I'm not sure I want that either.

I wound up looking at the Rebels too. Kind of hate the grill. Only other drawback is that the Laramie transfer case has 2WD, 4WD and an ondemand 4WD that I use all the time in the winter. Rebel only has 2WD and 4WD. I imagine with the lift it might get a little worse mileage...

Crazy Dane
04-08-2020, 04:39 PM
FES, I bought my 4Runner from Jim Barkley (before the change to Anderson) for cash. If it's not zero I didn't even want to consider financing.

Sigh, I miss Jim Barkley.

Darth_Uno
04-08-2020, 04:43 PM
If you can afford the payment and you actually don't go full stupid with the options, 0% is free money no matter how you cut it.

I'd think Ramsey would agree with you, but that's not what he's going to tell his target audience. People get into unmanageable debt for various reasons, and he is very good at one thing which is stopping that cycle and getting you out of it. So he's not going to tell you to go get a car loan. If you're not in a shit ton of debt, Ramsey's probably not your guy.

blues
04-08-2020, 04:45 PM
Sigh, I miss Jim Barkley.

You and me both. I still go there for the free oil changes. They cut out the rotations.

1911Nut
04-08-2020, 05:07 PM
I bought a new Ram Rebel a few months ago and like it better than the 2014 Ford Raptor that I drove for almost six years. The interior is far roomier and more comfortable, and I like everything about it.

ranger
04-08-2020, 06:04 PM
A buddy at work traded in a Raptor for a new Rebel and he likes the new Rebel plus got great trade in on Raptor

noguns
04-08-2020, 08:45 PM
My wife and I were thinking of. Tundra. But that body style has been out since 07 and this new td v6 ram that gets 29mpg and zero financing might help us make the jump.

BehindBlueI's
04-08-2020, 10:12 PM
Unless it's recently changed, the 0% is instead of a $4k cash rebate so in this case it is not "free money". See the rates at your local credit union and compare before jumping on the 0%. You'll probably do better to take the cash even if you take the full term to pay it off.

You can also do 36 month at 0% and still get $3k cash incentives.

Robinson
04-08-2020, 11:49 PM
They will not be selling those big SUVs at sticker. In NW GA, dealers are selling full size pickups at $12000 to $18000 discounts.

I'm going truck shopping and I hope I can find one of those NW GA deals you are talking about. I know Ram is offering good discounts and financing this month so maybe I'll find something. Send me a PM if you know of anything specific I should check out.

SecondsCount
04-09-2020, 01:23 AM
I'd tell Dave Ramsey to pound sand. When I took a five or six year 0 percent loan, I got invoice pricing. The dealer only made the "hold back", which was not negotiable. It saved me from making a near $40,000 outlay at the time, and I was able to continue investing that and additional money as the monthly cost was so low.

I take all financial gurus with a grain of salt unless I've vetted them.

I'm not going to be a cheerleader for Dave but he is good at what he does, getting people who are up to their eyeballs in debt to reign in their finances. Right now there are millions of Americans who wish they had followed his advice.

Back to the topic at hand- There is no such thing as free when it comes to buying a vehicle. They either get you up front or over time.

fixer
04-09-2020, 06:33 AM
I researched the truck market heavily for two years before deciding on my 2019 TRD PRO Tundra. This was a daily obsession between the different forums, youtube, real life experiences, crash testing research, tow truck driver feedback, and the technical specs of the trucks and what I needed vs wanted.

It looks to me like Dodge has made major improvements to its previously pitiful reputation. I was very close to getting a Ram power wagon.

I recommend looking around the forums to see other's experiences with recent models of F series and GM trucks ( and Nissan) then make up your own mind.

JHC
04-09-2020, 07:00 AM
I'm very impressed by the '17 Ram Laramie I bought just a couple months ago. I considered a local used Rebel for all the off road capability (which I practically never use but love to have, guilty) but it had the air suspension which I believe is an option.

And from reading around Ram forums I saw a lot of discussion of the problems with the air suspension and the difficulties finding a qualified technician to fix it once it acts up. Acts up like the driver comes out one morning and one wheel is settled to the lowest position and won't adjust. Those sorts of reports.

Hambo
04-09-2020, 07:01 AM

So far, I've only seen desperation ads from Dodge, Chevy, and Jeep.

Mntneer357
04-09-2020, 07:23 AM
It looks to me like Dodge has made major improvements to its previously pitiful reputation.

OP, you're looking at trading in a Tundra for a Ram? I absolutely admit I'm a Toyota fan from way back, but Ram is a Daimler Chrysler (or now Fiat Chrysler? Even better /sarc) product. FCA products have a long history of mechanical drama and headaches. I've yet to see *anything* that says their QC has improved anywhere. Especially long term. Just because Consumer Reports liked Ram's updates to the 2019 trucks doesn't mean that thing won't eat a transmission like its predecessors.

*IF* you're unhappy with your Tundra, do what works for you. But I cannot see going to *any* FCA product and expecting that to end well.

Cheers, sir!

BehindBlueI's
04-09-2020, 07:31 AM
. I considered a local used Rebel for all the off road capability (which I practically never use but love to have, guilty) but it had the air suspension which I believe is an option.

Air suspension is standard on the older Rebels and optional on the current edition.

LittleLebowski
04-09-2020, 08:05 AM
I'm very impressed by the '17 Ram Laramie I bought just a couple months ago. I considered a local used Rebel for all the off road capability (which I practically never use but love to have, guilty) but it had the air suspension which I believe is an option.

And from reading around Ram forums I saw a lot of discussion of the problems with the air suspension and the difficulties finding a qualified technician to fix it once it acts up. Acts up like the driver comes out one morning and one wheel is settled to the lowest position and won't adjust. Those sorts of reports.

What engine, 5.7?

rob_s
04-09-2020, 08:06 AM
I bought a new Ram Rebel a few months ago and like it better than the 2014 Ford Raptor that I drove for almost six years. The interior is far roomier and more comfortable, and I like everything about it.

I'm curious to hear details on this. Is it just about the room, or something else? Understanding that a 2014 to a 2020 is a bit of an apples:orangutans...

ranger
04-09-2020, 08:11 AM
I'm curious to hear details on this. Is it just about the room, or something else? Understanding that a 2014 to a 2020 is a bit of an apples:orangutans...

Car and Driver picked Ram in their annual top ten issue. Ram seems to have specifically focused on interior and comfortable ride. Interesting quote I saw somewhere is that full size truck are the big sedan of today - seems like Ram focused on that. I make no claims on off road or work capabilities - my wife prefers the 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Hemi for road trips versus our other cars including her 2007 MB E350

BWT
04-09-2020, 08:24 AM
I’ll defend Dave Ramsey here.

He doesn’t advocate buying new cars as they depreciate so quickly in value. He also doesn’t advocate financing in general unless absolutely necessary.

I don’t really have much else to say other then that.

I’m not coming after you guys for your car decisions, but there’s a ton of wisdom in the principles for Financial Peace. That being said - I don’t care to get in the trenches here on this, but I did want to clarify his stances.

It is a buyer’s market in cars right now - if you’re in the market.

JHC
04-09-2020, 08:28 AM
What engine, 5.7?

Yeah, that Hemi. Crazy good mpg cruising on freeway miles if the traffic isn't too heavy. Even my country road and highway commutes on off peak hours was giving me around a 18-20 average.

BehindBlueI's
04-09-2020, 08:29 AM
Car and Driver picked Ram in their annual top ten issue. Ram seems to have specifically focused on interior and comfortable ride. Interesting quote I saw somewhere is that full size truck are the big sedan of today - seems like Ram focused on that.

I would agree with that. I really planned to buy an F150 when I got rid of my F250 Super Duty and only test drove the Ram when my wife talked me into it. The power of the 5.7L and the ride comfort were major selling points for me. My 2012 Express has been a great truck and it's our favorite road trip vehicle. I just hit 60k miles this week and the sole issue was a cylinder misfire which was just a coil pack. I don't off-road and it's mostly just a big sedan that happens to have a massive trunk capable of hauling lumber, appliances, mulch, etc. as required.

He doesn’t advocate buying new cars as they depreciate so quickly in value.

I think, like most blanket advice, that's generally true but 1/2 ton trucks may be the exception. I've not been in the market for a bit but when I was a decent low mileage V8/4x4 truck hadn't depreciated considerably and new trucks were, with incentives, very competitive. Add in the warranty, and at the time Ram's lifetime warranty which was only available to the original purchaser, and a used truck didn't make much sense if you intended to buy for the long term. Running the numbers stretched out over 10+ years and cost of ownership of new vs 3 year old used (and presumably 3 year shorter lifespan as well) and new isn't as stupid as one might originally assume in the pickup market.

ranger
04-09-2020, 08:39 AM
I always bought used. Got great deals on a series of BMWs and Mercedes at a fraction of new. However, trucks are different. I have been able to negotiate over 15000 off sticker plus they hold their value. Used trucks are either worn out or too high. My 2015 Ram seems to hold its value fairly well - used Carvana to get a value before I discuss trade in with dealer.

BWT
04-09-2020, 08:40 AM
I would agree with that. I really planned to buy an F150 when I got ride of my F250 Super Duty and only test drove the Ram when my wife talked me into it. The power of the 5.7L and the ride comfort were major selling points for me. My 2012 Express has been a great truck and it's our favorite road trip vehicle. I just hit 60k miles this week and the sole issue was a cylinder misfire which was just a coil pack. I don't off-road and it's mostly just a big sedan that happens to have a massive trunk capable of hauling lumber, appliances, mulch, etc. as required.

I think, like most blanket advice, that's generally true but 1/2 ton trucks may be the exception. I've not been in the market for a bit but when I was a decent low mileage V8/4x4 truck hadn't depreciated considerably and new trucks were, with incentives, very competitive. Add in the warranty, and at the time Ram's lifetime warranty which was only available to the original purchaser, and a used truck didn't make much sense if you intended to buy for the long term. Running the numbers stretched out over 10+ years and cost of ownership of new vs 3 year old used (and presumably 3 year shorter lifespan as well) and new isn't as stupid as one might originally assume in the pickup market.

That’s a fair point.

I shopped for a Toyota Tacoma for my first car/truck. I went another direction and cost was a factor. Trucks do seem to hold their value best as far as vehicles go.

BehindBlueI's
04-09-2020, 08:47 AM
I always bought used. Got great deals on a series of BMWs and Mercedes at a fraction of new. However, trucks are different. I have been able to negotiate over 15000 off sticker plus they hold their value. Used trucks are either worn out or too high. My 2015 Ram seems to hold its value fairly well - used Carvana to get a value before I discuss trade in with dealer.

Luxury cars and sports cars, I definitely see the value in used. I would never have paid what my fully optioned Camaro SS/RS went for new.

blues
04-09-2020, 09:09 AM
I buy new, keep them for a long time and then buy new again. I prefer not worrying about inheriting a lemon or discard...and knowing that the vehicle's history is my own.

That said, I have no debt, own my home and vehicles outright, and invest conservatively given a low need to take on much risk. Perhaps if we lived a different, more lavish lifestyle things would be different.

Everyone's mileage may vary, and financial gurus notwithstanding, should put a modicum of effort into knowing why (or why not) a particular financial decision makes sense for their own personal circumstances. Cookie cutter answers are fine for cookie cutter people. There is strength in knowledge.

BWT
04-09-2020, 09:13 AM
I buy new, keep them for a long time and then buy new again. I prefer not worrying about inheriting a lemon or discard...and knowing that the vehicle's history is my own.

That said, I have no debt, own my home and vehicles outright, and invest conservatively given a low need to take on much risk. Perhaps if we lived a different, more lavish lifestyle things would be different.

Everyone's mileage may vary, and financial gurus notwithstanding, should put a modicum of effort into knowing why (or why not) a particular financial decision makes sense for their own personal circumstances. Cookie cutter answers are fine for cookie cutter people. There is strength in knowledge.

If I get really bored (highly likely) and some free time (unlikely). I may start a separate thread. Anyway, I digress.

blues
04-09-2020, 09:14 AM
If I get really bored (highly likely) and some free time (unlikely). I may start a separate thread. Anyway, I digress.

I am deeply offended that you used a quote from me to discuss your impending boredom. Cut to the quick. Did I mention butthurt? ;)

Darth_Uno
04-09-2020, 09:50 AM
I think, like most blanket advice, that's generally true but 1/2 ton trucks may be the exception. I've not been in the market for a bit but when I was a decent low mileage V8/4x4 truck hadn't depreciated considerably and new trucks were, with incentives, very competitive. Add in the warranty, and at the time Ram's lifetime warranty which was only available to the original purchaser, and a used truck didn't make much sense if you intended to buy for the long term. Running the numbers stretched out over 10+ years and cost of ownership of new vs 3 year old used (and presumably 3 year shorter lifespan as well) and new isn't as stupid as one might originally assume in the pickup market. I have a '17 Silverado, and I honestly think the 14-15's look better. But I got a brand new '17 for not much more with zero miles, a full warranty and I didn't have to worry if the previous owner was a chronic booger picker.

Car and Driver picked Ram in their annual top ten issue. Ram seems to have specifically focused on interior and comfortable ride. Interesting quote I saw somewhere is that full size truck are the big sedan of today - seems like Ram focused on that. I make no claims on off road or work capabilities - my wife prefers the 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Hemi for road trips versus our other cars including her 2007 MB E350 Any of the Big 3 half tons can handle a trip to Lowes or towing a bass boat equally well, although you may want to look at the gear ratio if you plan to tow more often than not.

bofe954
04-09-2020, 10:02 AM
I think the coil spring vs leaf spring rear suspension is an advantage for daily driving. I have no idea if it is better for towing or hauling.

The other truck I've been staring at is the Chevrolet LT trail boss, with the 6.2L. Small gas tank, again, and I do think the Ram interior makes every other truck interior look 10 years old.

rob_s
04-09-2020, 11:01 AM
I have the 32 gallon (I think they offer 33 now?) in my 15/16 (I honestly can't recall the year) 1500 Sport and I can't imagine going any other way.

I got lucky and the exact truck I built for myself on the website (save the sport hood delete) was en route to a local dealer. The rest of that experience wasn't great (involved a lot of me yelling in their showroom, unfortunately) but I did get the truck I wanted. The tank was a sticking point for me, as was the 3.92 and limited slip.

Nephrology
04-09-2020, 12:06 PM
That’s a fair point.

I shopped for a Toyota Tacoma for my first car/truck. I went another direction and cost was a factor. Trucks do seem to hold their value best as far as vehicles go.

Toyota vehices, esp. their 4x4s, depreciate so little that it's a bit unreasonable.

Not going to buy one any time soon, but a Sequoia or Tundra will be on my list of vehicles to own eventually.

BehindBlueI's
04-09-2020, 12:35 PM
I have the 32 gallon (I think they offer 33 now?) in my 15/16 (I honestly can't recall the year) 1500 Sport and I can't imagine going any other way.

I got lucky and the exact truck I built for myself on the website (save the sport hood delete) was en route to a local dealer. The rest of that experience wasn't great (involved a lot of me yelling in their showroom, unfortunately) but I did get the truck I wanted. The tank was a sticking point for me, as was the 3.92 and limited slip.

I have the larger tank in my '12 as well. Unfortunately the gauge isn't calibrated correctly in the earlier trucks so it will show nearly empty once you get to an actual 1/4 tank and then hover there forever. I'm one of those folks who gets edgy when my tank reads under half so I tend to treat it like a big reserve tank.

The only things that bother me on the truck is the headlights were weak and the fuel gauge. The headights I rectified with some aftermarket bulbs (Philips Xtra vision, IIRC) and adjusting them up a touch. I know they are aimed a bit low from the factory so that when the rear end settles under a load you aren't illuminating the moon but since I pretty much never have more than 500-ish pounds in the bed and am normally empty I didn't need that. The gauge I'm just stuck with, Chrysler won't update the software on the older trucks. If your gauge is inaccurate and you have a truck new enough to have the 8 speed transmission there is a TSB that will address and correct it, though.

I think the coil spring vs leaf spring rear suspension is an advantage for daily driving. I have no idea if it is better for towing or hauling.

If someone legitimately tows/hauls heavy then airbags let you have the best of both worlds, the cushy ride of coils when empty and the ability to firm up the rear for heavy loads and not go nose-to-the-sky.

rob_s
04-09-2020, 01:16 PM
I have the larger tank in my '12 as well. Unfortunately the gauge isn't calibrated correctly in the earlier trucks so it will show nearly empty once you get to an actual 1/4 tank and then hover there forever. I'm one of those folks who gets edgy when my tank reads under half so I tend to treat it like a big reserve tank.

The only things that bother me on the truck is the headlights were weak and the fuel gauge. The headights I rectified with some aftermarket bulbs (Philips Xtra vision, IIRC) and adjusting them up a touch. I know they are aimed a bit low from the factory so that when the rear end settles under a load you aren't illuminating the moon but since I pretty much never have more than 500-ish pounds in the bed and am normally empty I didn't need that. The gauge I'm just stuck with, Chrysler won't update the software on the older trucks. If your gauge is inaccurate and you have a truck new enough to have the 8 speed transmission there is a TSB that will address and correct it, though.

Mine seems to show "E" with about 5 gallons left, so I'm fine with that. I also get antsy below 1/2 so it's not a super huge issue, and I have a pretty good sense on the tripometer to refill at 300 miles (which is over half a tank but whatever). FWIW, my fuel sensor is going bad and now the truck is telling me I'm empty, then full, then "actual"...

I thought it was just my shitty eyes with the bulbs. I'll look into those for sure, thanks!

FWIW, my passenger side tail light just went out. First light I can recall losing in the 4+ years I've had the truck.

ETA:
Looks like there's an Extreme vision!
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Vision-Upgrade-Headlight-12362PRB2/dp/B00U1OIESK/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=philips%2Bxtravision&qid=1586456225&sr=8-1&th=1

BehindBlueI's
04-09-2020, 04:41 PM
ETA:
Looks like there's an Extreme vision!
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Vision-Upgrade-Headlight-12362PRB2/dp/B00U1OIESK/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=philips%2Bxtravision&qid=1586456225&sr=8-1&th=1

That's the ones. They made a noticeable difference, especially for reading street signs and the like at night. They aren't difficult to install, and despite what Youtube says you don't have to take the grill off *if* you have a decent length extension. I undid the top of the grill, leaned it out a little, and that was plenty.

1911Nut
04-09-2020, 05:28 PM

1911Nut
04-09-2020, 10:06 PM
Details ion my preference for the Ram Rebel (2020) vs. the Ford Raptor (2014). Mostly personal preferences.

Ram gets about 15% better mileage

Ram seats are significantly more comfortable and cabin is quieter

Not certain this would be backed up by actual statistics, but the Ram seems to have more head and shoulder room

Rear cabin on the Ram has better (and flatter) storage area, and also has in floor storage area inside each rear door

The highway ride on the Ram is better, in my opinion

I prefer the Ram UConnect system (also supports Apple Car Play and Android Auto) to the Ford Sync system

The Ram has a smaller turning radius

Hemiram
04-10-2020, 04:00 AM
One friend of mine got his wife a Ram Rebel last fall, he got a great deal on it at a small dealer outside Columbus, Oh. weird thing was, the Rebel and one Challenger were the only vehicles on the entire lot that day with any color to them. Everything else was white, black, silver, or gray. Kind of depressing.

We picked it up and I drove it back to Toledo. If I didn't have major back and knee issues, I would probably have one too, but I get by with this. To be honest, I love it.

After the first friend bought the Rebel, another friend drove it and he got a blue one, just in time before Da Ent Off Da Verlt. Both are pretty much identical with the Hemi and the godlike 8 speed auto. Only thing would make them better would be if they put the engine from my car into them.

BehindBlueI's
04-10-2020, 04:33 AM
Both are pretty much identical with the Hemi and the godlike 8 speed auto. Only thing would make them better would be if they put the engine from my car into them.

https://www.caranddriver.com/ram/1500-rebel-trx

We expect the Rebel TRX to be powered by a supercharged 6.2-liter V-8, more widely known as the Hellcat engine. It currently makes between 707 to 717 horsepower and 650 lb-ft of torque.

rob_s
04-10-2020, 07:18 AM
Something else that I was just reminded of that maybe some people don’t know if you haven’t been to the dealership yet and are only in the build-and-price phase...

When I was shopping I was looking at all of the full-size trucks: Ram, Chevy, GMC, Ford, and Toyota. What I found was that they all differed in how far under MSRP you could get them, and that list is my order from most saved to least under the build-and-price number. Ram, and Dodge in general, seems to always have a huge discount under MSRP, and Toyota seems to generally have almost none.

So if you’re thinking “I can afford a $50k truck with 0% payments” you may find that you can build-and-price a Ram up close to $60k and still walk out the door for your target number.

My order above was true pretty much across multiple dealerships. GMC seems to be thought of as a premium Chevy and so they seemed to have less of a discount. Ford seems to know that they are still the #1 seller and therefore don’t need the discount. Toyota just doesn’t seem to care.

LittleLebowski
04-10-2020, 07:58 AM
I really regret not finding a Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 :(

ranger
04-10-2020, 08:23 AM
Something else that I was just reminded of that maybe some people don’t know if you haven’t been to the dealership yet and are only in the build-and-price phase...

When I was shopping I was looking at all of the full-size trucks: Ram, Chevy, GMC, Ford, and Toyota. What I found was that they all differed in how far under MSRP you could get them, and that list is my order from most saved to least under the build-and-price number. Ram, and Dodge in general, seems to always have a huge discount under MSRP, and Toyota seems to generally have almost none.

So if you’re thinking “I can afford a $50k truck with 0% payments” you may find that you can build-and-price a Ram up close to $60k and still walk out the door for your target number.

My order above was true pretty much across multiple dealerships. GMC seems to be thought of as a premium Chevy and so they seemed to have less of a discount. Ford seems to know that they are still the #1 seller and therefore don’t need the discount. Toyota just doesn’t seem to care.

Agreed - my exact experience. Ram and Ford had by far the highest discounts when I shopped. Ford has that "best selling truck" selling phrase and they seem to aggressively sell F150s near end of year.

Grey
04-10-2020, 08:51 AM
Damn I shouldnt have looked at the dealer sites... this is REALLY TEMPTING...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

LittleLebowski
04-10-2020, 08:56 AM
Damn I shouldnt have looked at the dealer sites... this is REALLY TEMPTING...

Pray tell.

Grey
04-10-2020, 08:58 AM
Pray tell.Ram rebels with the hemi engine and probably all the other accessories I want for sale under 50k with 84 months 0% interest...

As rob s said specc'd out to msrp 60k+ and selling for way less.

blues
04-10-2020, 09:01 AM
This thread needs a theme song...

https://youtu.be/G_SXJ18EkNw

LittleLebowski
04-10-2020, 09:01 AM
Ram rebels with the hemi engine and probably all the other accessories I want for sale under 50k with 84 months 0% interest...

That engine is a known good engine as well as the transmission.

ranger
04-10-2020, 09:22 AM
That engine is a known good engine as well as the transmission.

We take our Ram 1500 to the local dealer for oil changes (heavily discounted to get you in and upsell). Service writer asked her what engine - she looked at him like he is crazy and yells out "Its a HEMI!". Dates us as that was an old commercial.

We like the HEMI and yes I really like the 8 speed.

Robinson
04-10-2020, 09:23 AM
Ram rebels with the hemi engine and probably all the other accessories I want for sale under 50k with 84 months 0% interest...

The dealer I talked to yesterday explained that the rebates and the 0% financing are mutually exclusive. There is fine print on their website that supports that. So you can take the cash discounts OR get the 0% financing -- but not both. For people with good credit buying a truck with an MSRP around $50K the $10K in discounts will still end up saving more money than the 0% financing. Higher priced trucks might make the 0% financing more attractive.

Grey
04-10-2020, 09:58 AM
The dealer I talked to yesterday explained that the rebates and the 0% financing are mutually exclusive. There is fine print on their website that supports that. So you can take the cash discounts OR get the 0% financing -- but not both. For people with good credit buying a truck with an MSRP around $50K the $10K in discounts will still end up saving more money than the 0% financing. Higher priced trucks might make the 0% financing more attractive.Fair point, always call to confirm pricing. The incentives and cash/rebates dont add up to the differential in price between their sale and msrp so not sure if those are stacked in that sale price or not.

BehindBlueI's
04-10-2020, 10:43 AM
Navy Federal is at 2.49%, so like I said upthread be sure to run the numbers before taking the 0%. The rebates will be more attractive for most people.

LOKNLOD
04-10-2020, 10:49 AM
If you want new, now is the time to set your search to skim for 2019s still on the lot.

Look for those, and pull up the window sticker, use the VIN data to get a build date. Start with the one that's been sitting on the lot the longest.

consider pre-securing a loan rate with your bank/credit union. My credit union can preload me into the CUDL system and the dealer can pull it up and see; then you can make them try to beat it.

OR, if you've got a good rate from your usual institution, take the max amount of rebates and discounts with a high rate from your dealer. Usually from manufacturer financing - straight from Ford, FCA, GM, whoever. Then you turn around and re-fi with your bank at the lower rate. Be aware of fine print that may require a minimum window before you do that.

0% is great but when it competes with savings if you've got good credit $5k in savings up front may be worth the same or more as $5k in savings over the life of the loan due to lower interest. Especially if you pay ahead on the loan at all.

BehindBlueI's
04-10-2020, 10:52 AM
If you want new, now is the time to set your search to skim for 2019s still on the lot.

And remember Ram still sells the previous generation as the "Classic", and it's even cheaper.

LOKNLOD
04-10-2020, 10:59 AM
And remember Ram still sells the previous generation as the "Classic", and it's even cheaper.

True, but also be aware you might not be getting what you really want, given the upgrades between the two. And there's a bigger depreciation hit because you're buying obsolete that somewhat offsets the additional savings. Long term plans may dictate if that matters. on the other hand the outgoing truck is usually pretty problem free and the first year of a new gen always has a few fleas.

If you just want a cheap truck, my local lots seem to be filled with brand new legacy '19 Ram Tradesmans for $22-23k NEW. Crazy.

ranger
04-10-2020, 11:34 AM

Look for those, and pull up the window sticker, use the VIN data to get a build date. Start with the one that's been sitting on the lot the longest.

consider pre-securing a loan rate with your bank/credit union. My credit union can preload me into the CUDL system and the dealer can pull it up and see; then you can make them try to beat it.

OR, if you've got a good rate from your usual institution, take the max amount of rebates and discounts with a high rate from your dealer. Usually from manufacturer financing - straight from Ford, FCA, GM, whoever. Then you turn around and re-fi with your bank at the lower rate. Be aware of fine print that may require a minimum window before you do that.

0% is great but when it competes with savings if you've got good credit $5k in savings up front may be worth the same or more as $5k in savings over the life of the loan due to lower interest. Especially if you pay ahead on the loan at all.

I thought 2019s would be cheaper but there seems to be more incentives to sell 2020s - at least at Ram dealers I spoke with so far. I have seen some deals on 2019 F150s but slim selection.

ranger
04-10-2020, 12:23 PM
As a point of reference - I was looking at new Rams before CV19. A loaded 2020 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 Hemi stickered at $64,275. I got offer of $13,000 off then. I will circle back and see if there is more off soon.

Balisong
04-10-2020, 01:20 PM
I'm envious of folks that are able to car shop right now, it's an incredible time for it. I've got some debt to clear out yet, as well as bringing up my credit score. Recent new house refi made it take a hit on top of having to use more credit card than I'm happy about to get some furnishings/painting/blinds when we moved in a couple years ago.

But anyways, when it's time, I've decided I'm getting out of cars and getting an off road capable vehicle. Pretty much settled on a 4runner as I'm not normally a truck guy, but this Rebel really has my curiosity. It looks pretty damn luxurious inside and you guys are raving about the Hemi engine in it. Think I'll have to test drive one when the madness dies down. My late stepfather had a F150 with a nice big V8 in it (I couldn't tell you any specs or even the year of that truck) and I always enjoyed driving that one for some reason.

Thanks for making this decision even tougher for me you jerks.

Nephrology
04-10-2020, 02:22 PM
I'm envious of folks that are able to car shop right now, it's an incredible time for it. I've got some debt to clear out yet, as well as bringing up my credit score. Recent new house refi made it take a hit on top of having to use more credit card than I'm happy about to get some furnishings/painting/blinds when we moved in a couple years ago.

But anyways, when it's time, I've decided I'm getting out of cars and getting an off road capable vehicle. Pretty much settled on a 4runner as I'm not normally a truck guy, but this Rebel really has my curiosity. It looks pretty damn luxurious inside and you guys are raving about the Hemi engine in it. Think I'll have to test drive one when the madness dies down. My late stepfather had a F150 with a nice big V8 in it (I couldn't tell you any specs or even the year of that truck) and I always enjoyed driving that one for some reason.

Thanks for making this decision even tougher for me you jerks.

I'm not a truck guy but have a low key obsession with buying one for a couple years now. Agreed it's a hard sell in current economic climate. Given that the most offroading I do is a 7 mile dirt road to the range, I struggled to justify (and ultimately avoided) buying a truck when my car was totaled about 2 years ago.

I get the appeal but they're frankly shitty vehicles for city living, particularly if you don't have much use for the bed. My girlfriend owns an 2010 tacoma that I borrowed for a month when I was between vehicles and it was really annoying to park, didn't get awesome mileage, and steering felt very floaty and disconnected from the road. Also didn't like the weird weight distribution of an empty bed. It's my ultimate goal to live somewhere more rural/suburban where I'd get a lot more use out of a truck, but I've got at least a few more years left in Denver and will probably get stuck in a city of some kind for residency afterwards. But, one day...

Balisong
04-10-2020, 03:04 PM
I'm not a truck guy but have a low key obsession with buying one for a couple years now. Agreed it's a hard sell in current economic climate. Given that the most offroading I do is a 7 mile dirt road to the range, I struggled to justify (and ultimately avoided) buying a truck when my car was totaled about 2 years ago.

I get the appeal but they're frankly shitty vehicles for city living, particularly if you don't have much use for the bed. My girlfriend owns an 2010 tacoma that I borrowed for a month when I was between vehicles and it was really annoying to park, didn't get awesome mileage, and steering felt very floaty and disconnected from the road. Also didn't like the weird weight distribution of an empty bed. It's my ultimate goal to live somewhere more rural/suburban where I'd get a lot more use out of a truck, but I've got at least a few more years left in Denver and will probably get stuck in a city of some kind for residency afterwards. But, one day...

My range is on a 1-2 mile cruddy dirt road that I'm not fond of driving my car on and that's part of the reason I'd like a more rugged vehicle. But the girlfriend and I would also like some offroad capabilities to go to more backroads hiking and camping spots. Another advantage of a truck or SUV for me would be when I go to the range, having my gear more handy in the back vs pulling stuff out of a car trunk. Also want to start doing USPSA and multi-gun when this crap dies down, and those type of vehicles would be handier to have all that gear. I agree parking is something that I don't want to deal with a huge vehicle. Interesting enough, the 4runner is 1 inch shorter than my car! That being said, I'm really intrigued by this Rebel (wish I could afford the TRX if it ever comes out) due to how nice everyone says it is to drive, plus it's cool looking. But for offroading purposes I would think a 4runner offroad trim would have to be better due to less space between the front and rear tires.

I'm still learning though, and probably at least a year and a half from buying anything.

Grey
04-10-2020, 03:07 PM
As much as I WANT to jump on a truck, pretty sure the spousal unit would kill me. I just don't NEED it right now but I make the fact known that she didn't let me buy a truck every time she wants to go pick something up or have me haul something away that doesn't fit in our current cars. Plus we just finished paying off a car so I might enjoy that car payment free life for a while...

Nephrology
04-10-2020, 03:16 PM
My range is on a 1-2 mile cruddy dirt road that I'm not fond of driving my car on and that's part of the reason I'd like a more rugged vehicle. But the girlfriend and I would also like some offroad capabilities to go to more backroads hiking and camping spots. Another advantage of a truck or SUV for me would be when I go to the range, having my gear more handy in the back vs pulling stuff out of a car trunk. Also want to start doing USPSA and multi-gun when this crap dies down, and those type of vehicles would be handier to have all that gear. I agree parking is something that I don't want to deal with a huge vehicle. Interesting enough, the 4runner is 1 inch shorter than my car! That being said, I'm really intrigued by this Rebel (wish I could afford the TRX if it ever comes out) due to how nice everyone says it is to drive, plus it's cool looking. But for offroading purposes I would think a 4runner offroad trim would have to be better due to less space between the front and rear tires.

I'm still learning though, and probably at least a year and a half from buying anything.

a 4Runner is a much more reasonable and realistic vehicle for me to purchase sooner than later (though still definitely not this year...). That would be probably exactly as much truck as I need. Hmmm..... maybe something to look into in residency.

I have a CX5 which has a little clearance to help with the potholes and a lot more cargo space than a sedan with an enclosed trunk. I will admit those are big positives, but it's still not an actual truck, so its true offroad capabilities are pretty limited to say the least. It can do dry, bumpy dirt roads and not much more.

bofe954
04-10-2020, 06:17 PM

You should always get 12-15K off an american truck. I have often wondered if it is part of the mathematics of american truck vs toyota resale values too. If you calculate resale value from MSRP, american vehicles don't do as well, but most people don't pay anywhere near MSRP for an american vehicle.

rob_s
04-10-2020, 07:01 PM
You should always get 12-15K off an american truck.

You’re missing the point, but ok.

Some folks like driving all over hells half acre, calling every dirt bag again car salesman they can find, “negotiating” with slimy sales managers, all to be able to brag to their buddies and on the internet what a great deal they got. Yay.

My time is worth more than that.

My point was that IME right out of the gate a Ram dealer is going to give you more off of MSRP than any of the other fullsize truck brands with almost no effort at all. So if someone is basing what they can afford strictly off the build and price, I thought it would be helpful for them to know that fact.

bofe954
04-10-2020, 07:33 PM
You’re missing the point, but ok.

Some folks like driving all over hells half acre, calling every dirt bag again car salesman they can find, “negotiating” with slimy sales managers, all to be able to brag to their buddies and on the internet what a great deal they got. Yay.

My time is worth more than that.

My point was that IME right out of the gate a Ram dealer is going to give you more off of MSRP than any of the other fullsize truck brands with almost no effort at all. So if someone is basing what they can afford strictly off the build and price, I thought it would be helpful for them to know that fact.

Yes, and you don't need to drive anywhere or talk to anyone, and I never suggested that. Not sure where you are getting "negotiation" from anything I posted. If you spend 10 minutes looking at dealership websites you will find several that offer 10-15K off. Ram, Chevy whatever. There is literally no effort. You never pay MSRP for an american truck. It's not a secret, and it doesn't take any time. You don't brag to your friends about it, because it is standard.

There are a few exceptions for special vehicles like the Raptor, maybe the new model the week it comes out.

Crazy Dane
04-10-2020, 08:19 PM
It has been a long day of haggling and walking away but in the end I ended with a 2020 Ram Rebel. I feel like I did good and got a 0% loan which was mostly my goal anyway. Sorry but I haven't read through the whole thread, will do tomorrow. If I figure out how to post a pic here again I'll do that too.

Grey
04-10-2020, 08:25 PM
It has been a long day of haggling and walking away but in the end I ended with a 2020 Ram Rebel. I feel like I did good and got a 0% loan which was mostly my goal anyway. Sorry but I haven't read through the whole thread, will do tomorrow. If I figure out how to post a pic here again I'll do that too.

Dang! Spill the deets!

BehindBlueI's
04-10-2020, 09:12 PM

Congrats.

Crazy Dane
04-11-2020, 11:16 AM
Good morning. I have spent mine drinking coffee and catching up. Instead of trying to quote everything, I will just do a summary and yall can hit me with anything I didn't cover. ETA; forgive me because I just put thoughts together and it may sound a little incoherent.

First off the dealership showed their hand early and it was desperate. After I scheduled the test drive on their web site, they offered 3 times to come pick me up and after I told them I could walk from the station to the lot from across the road they made arrangements to meet me before the official opening time of 0900.The big thing for me was the test drive and they had the truck running and waiting when I got there shortly after 8. After a very fun test drive I spent some time talking with the service writer and a mechanic. In their years of working there they had only replaced one motor in the Rams and it had let go with less than 2k on the clock. They said the 8 speed trannies are bullet proof. They also said like any other maker they get the occasional bad component like a window motor or switches and such but nothing that's a reoccurring issue.

The window sticker had the truck priced right at $55k and the buy it now price with all of the incentives was $47.3k. When I inquired about the 0% they said the incentives would go away and when I said that wouldn't work for me they immediately found 3k in dealer cash. I mentioned that I had run the loan calculators and new exactly where I had to be, they suddenly found they had misquoted my trade by $1500. To shorten this up, I walked 2 more times and each time they found more incentives like first responder cash and a military discount and some others. In all they got it almost back to the original buy it now price. I added in a full service contract for $1800 and asked for the 0% financing. They went to their secret squirrel location and it took all of about 7 minutes to come back with an acceptable contract. When they ask if it was a deal, I hesitated one more time and called the wife to let her know I was getting a new truck and not to shoot when I got home and low and behold they found another $500. I told them to make it final somebody was gonna have to get me lunch. I got the turkey club from Arby's. Just to put things in to perspective for me, while I was eating I overheard the sales manger on the phone negotiating a sale with a monthly payment that started at $1800 and when they got down to $1720 the perspective buyer said "man I cant believe that your going to lose a sale for $20 a month" and hung up the phone. I don't know what he was trying to buy or how much or how long but that was a "wow" moment for me.

The good. The Ram Rebel, I don't know what can I say other than I am impressed. I loved my Tundra but this Ram outclasses it in many ways and only loses in a couple of places. I looked and test drove a 2020 Tundra last week so I am comparing peanuts out of the same bag in that regard and not going off of the old Tundra that I had. Toyota apparently isn't hurting or just don't care. For the same money I got more truck with the Ram. The interior is much better in fit and finish. Ram utilizes the space much like Toyota did in the second gen Tundras. There is storage everywhere. The ride is smooth like a sedan rides smooth. I didn't know just how rough the Tundra is. There is less road noise and its quieter inside. the torque and horsepower is there and is equal to the Tundra. The Tundra has a bit more pep and get up than Ram but the 4:30 gear in the Toyota vs the 3:92 in the Ram is why. When I test drove the Ram, I got on the concrete pad behind my station and turned off the traction control. When I stomped it, it left a few miles of wear of the Goodyears on the concrete. Killer sound system. 6 way power adjustable seat. Heated seats and steering wheel. Remote start. Keyless entry. It did not have all of the lane assist and stuff. I'm still finding things too.

The bad. It doesn't have navigation but is available through Apple car play. 26 gallon fuel tank. It came with Goodyear Wranglers, not my first pick of tires.

The ugly. Its financed but unless I hit the lottery I will never be able to pay cash for a new truck on my firefighters pay. Its not scratched, yet.

Hit me with any questions you got and I will do my best.

What pic hosting sight can I use? I started with Photobucket and when they started charging I went to Tinypic but its gone now.

Grey
04-11-2020, 11:50 AM
What packages did you have on the truck or is this the bone stock version?

Just 1 dealer or multiple?

Darth_Uno
04-11-2020, 12:06 PM
You can upload pics straight through Tapatalk if you have it. Might have missed it, but what color?

Personally I hate haggling, just give me your best price and I'll tell you yes or no. But it worked out pretty well for you. Some guys have that gene.

blues
04-11-2020, 12:12 PM
FES, congrats. You can upload pix to this site right from your computer / laptop...or you can use imgbb.com for a free hosting service. (Last I checked, they were still rated as virus free by VirusTotal)

If you need to know how to do it from your laptop / computer I can walk you through it on the phone if you like.

ranger
04-11-2020, 12:34 PM
I never use OEM navigation - I always use the NAV of phone with WAZE, etc.

Crazy Dane
04-11-2020, 04:14 PM
https://i.ibb.co/G2t5Typ/IMG-0152.jpg (https://ibb.co/T8bgL62)

https://i.ibb.co/TmSzsCg/IMG-0151.jpg (https://ibb.co/YpMvxrL)

Holy cow, i finally got it.

blues
04-11-2020, 04:29 PM
Sweet!

Balisong
04-11-2020, 04:39 PM
That's pretty damn sexy. Do me a favor and tell me in a few weeks that you hate the thing. Damnit.

Crazy Dane
04-11-2020, 04:52 PM
What packages did you have on the truck or is this the bone stock version?

Just 1 dealer or multiple?

This is the Rebel, Rams version of the Raptor. i didnt compare it to the Larime package but it has alot more than the Big Horn package. I had only been to 1 Toyota dealer and this Ram dealer.

Might have missed it, but what color?

Personally I hate haggling, just give me your best price and I'll tell you yes or no. But it worked out pretty well for you. Some guys have that gene.

Granite with a black trim stripe along the bottom. Its got flake through out so I sparkles in the sunshine.

I really didn't have to work hard. I found out during the process that the dealership had been shuttered for a week and had just reopened. I guess they was getting a little hungry.

I never use OEM navigation - I always use the NAV of phone with WAZE, etc.

I didn't program the nav system for turn by turn directions. I navigate by using cross streets and intersections as landmarks, a byproduct of being a professional firetruck pilot. The moving map would let me see those references coming up when I was in an unfamiliar area. Its not that big of a deal since I have apple car play.

I learned that the truck has true duel exhaust with a H pipe. I was under the impression that it was a cat back system. It sounds good when you get on it. I can also have the seat and steering wheel warmers come on with remote start. I'm kinda sad that its spring. I really like the interior. The seats are leather but the center insert is cloth, gives your ass some grip so you don't slide around. :D I had seat covers on the tundra I don't know if I want to cover these.

Crazy Dane
04-11-2020, 05:17 PM
That's pretty damn sexy. Do me a favor and tell me in a few weeks that you hate the thing. Damnit.

As long as you keep telling me that I do not need a Ruger Gp100 Wiley Clapp in 10mm.

Grey
04-11-2020, 08:27 PM
This is the Rebel, Rams version of the Raptor. i didnt compare it to the Larime package but it has alot more than the Big Horn package. I had only been to 1 Toyota dealer and this Ram dealer.

[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

Sorry should of been more clear, there are a bunch of options you can add to the Rebel "base" model. Did you have anything added?

LittleLebowski
04-11-2020, 09:12 PM
I love this thread and am jealous.

SecondsCount
04-11-2020, 09:25 PM
Congratulations on your new truck. I hope it brings you many years of service :cool:

1911Nut
04-11-2020, 10:57 PM

Granite with a black trim stripe along the bottom. Its got flake through out so I sparkles in the sunshine.

I really didn't have to work hard. I found out during the process that the dealership had been shuttered for a week and had just reopened. I guess they was getting a little hungry.

I didn't program the nav system for turn by turn directions. I navigate by using cross streets and intersections as landmarks, a byproduct of being a professional firetruck pilot. The moving map would let me see those references coming up when I was in an unfamiliar area. Its not that big of a deal since I have apple car play.

I learned that the truck has true duel exhaust with a H pipe. I was under the impression that it was a cat back system. It sounds good when you get on it. I can also have the seat and steering wheel warmers come on with remote start. I'm kinda sad that its spring. I really like the interior. The seats are leather but the center insert is cloth, gives your ass some grip so you don't slide around. :D I had seat covers on the tundra I don't know if I want to cover these.

And did you notice the pattern in the cloth on those seats? If they are like mine, the pattern is identical to the tread pattern on your tires!! I think that's a pretty cool touch!

bofe954
04-12-2020, 01:46 PM
Great looking truck, great looking landscape.

rob_s
04-13-2020, 05:54 AM
Yes, and you don't need to drive anywhere or talk to anyone, and I never suggested that. Not sure where you are getting "negotiation" from anything I posted. If you spend 10 minutes looking at dealership websites you will find several that offer 10-15K off. Ram, Chevy whatever. There is literally no effort. You never pay MSRP for an american truck. It's not a secret, and it doesn't take any time. You don't brag to your friends about it, because it is standard.

There are a few exceptions for special vehicles like the Raptor, maybe the new model the week it comes out.

Yet here you are, acting like it’s some super-smart thing you gotta keep going on and on about, still missing the entire original point.

rob_s
04-13-2020, 06:10 AM

Hey congrats!

Glad to hear someone here got to take advantage of the current deals!

MGW
04-13-2020, 10:22 AM
I was seriously considering a Rebel last year. I test drove one at a local dealer and walked into the office to buy. Loved everything about the truck other than the gas mileage. Sales manager walked in and we started talking about guns, shooting, and hunting. He promises to give me the buddy price and comes back with a price well over what they had listed on their website. I got pissed off and left.

I ended up buying a 2019 Z71 a few days later. 0% interest, lifetime power train warranty, and felt like I got a good deal. I’ve been less than thrilled with it though. The lights on it are terrible. They’re LED but the opening is so narrow that the light they put out looks really dim. The brakes are very sensitive and the rears lock up easily. There have been three recalls on it so far. The auto stop “feature” on the motor is super annoying but there’s a switch to disable it. I can’t permanently disable it though but I usually remember to hit the button after I start it. That’s all stuff I can live with though.

The 8 speed transmission is not awesome at all though. I get lots of weird shifts at low speed especially when the the engine is not warmed up. It feels like it completely misses shifts and then catches and “clanks” the driveline. When pulling out onto the highway it always feels like it’s in too high of a gear. I have to really push it to get it back down into a lower gear. The dealer hasn’t been able to figure out the transmission issues and tell me it’s normal and that I just need to let it warm up first. My gut is telling me there’s a problem with the programming that GM hasn’t figured out yet.

All these little gremlins add up and make me wish I had gone to a different dealer and bought the Dodge.

BehindBlueI's
04-13-2020, 10:59 AM
Glad to hear someone here got to take advantage of the current deals!

Concur. I almost wish I was in the market at the moment. Nothing trips my trigger enough to get rid of anything I've got plus the cash outlay, though the deals are tempting. My wife likes the Wrangler for reasons I'm not real clear on and it's an "employee pricing + rebates" for a Sahara so that'd be an easy sell but I just hate it every time we test drive it.

rob_s
04-13-2020, 11:06 AM
Concur. I almost wish I was in the market at the moment. Nothing trips my trigger enough to get rid of anything I've got plus the cash outlay, though the deals are tempting. My wife likes the Wrangler for reasons I'm not real clear on and it's an "employee pricing + rebates" for a Sahara so that'd be an easy sell but I just hate it every time we test drive it.

since my Ram is approaching 5 years old I'm tempted. The main thing keeping me from doing anything about a new truck is that we may wind up moving in the relatively near future and I either may not need a truck or may not be allowed to have one due to HOA limitations.

well, that and the fact that the current truck is paid off.

BehindBlueI's
04-13-2020, 11:15 AM
since my Ram is approaching 5 years old I'm tempted. The main thing keeping me from doing anything about a new truck is that we may wind up moving in the relatively near future and I either may not need a truck or may not be allowed to have one due to HOA limitations.

well, that and the fact that the current truck is paid off.

Mine is 8 years old but 60,008 miles and has a lifetime bumper-to-bumper that's not offered any longer. It's tough to switch out of that. I'm not 100% sold on the looks of the newest generation, either. And everything is paid off, everything is old enough not to take the giant first couple years hit on license plates, etc. I have ready cash and I'm too risk averse to dump it into the stock market at the moment, but I'm just too tight fisted to move on anything that remotely interests me.

Grey
04-13-2020, 11:17 AM
Sorta in the same boat, not quite ready to talk the wife into this and then the cash outlays to trade in. Maybe if deals get even more stupid Ill jump. I think were going to get better deals in a couple months.

Navin Johnson
04-13-2020, 11:33 AM
My wife and I were thinking of. Tundra. But that body style has been out since 07 and this new td v6 ram that gets 29mpg and zero financing might help us make the jump.

Avoid the diesel in the 1500 Ram unless you do a a lot of research

Navin Johnson
04-13-2020, 11:35 AM
The 5.7 ram is a decent motor. No go on the hybrid.

Navin Johnson
04-13-2020, 11:44 AM
Mine is 8 years old but 60,008 miles and has a lifetime bumper-to-bumper that's not offered any longer. It's tough to switch out of that. I'm not 100% sold on the looks of the newest generation, either. And everything is paid off, everything is old enough not to take the giant first couple years hit on license plates, etc. I have ready cash and I'm too risk averse to dump it into the stock market at the moment, but I'm just too tight fisted to move on anything that remotely interests me.

That warranty is "off the chain". It looks like you don't drive it much... so to me It would be really really hard to move on if the current vehicle fits your needs.

The other side is it has low miles and a lot of value....

BehindBlueI's
04-13-2020, 12:09 PM
That warranty is "off the chain". It looks like you don't drive it much... so to me It would be really really hard to move on if the current vehicle fits your needs.

The other side is it has low miles and a lot of value....

Yeah, it's a pretty solid deal. It's an exclusionary warranty, anything not listed as "not covered" is covered. The only things listed are wear items and corrosion (brake pads/rotors, windshield cracks, rust on body panels sort of thing). It's a $100 deductible and that's it until the cost of a repair exceeds the value of the truck, at which time they buy the warranty out from you. They stopped offering it last year, aybe because it discourages you from buying a new one. :) I think 7 or 8 years is as long as they will go now.

I averaged less than 5k miles a year until we started using it as the vacation vehicle to go to Florida, Georgia, and Texas.

LittleLebowski
04-13-2020, 02:02 PM

I see the same craze for Wranglers by the wives out here as well.

Nephrology
04-13-2020, 02:07 PM
t I just hate it every time we test drive it.

What did you hate about it, out of curiousity? I've never driven a Jeep so I have no idea how they handle. They seem kinda cramped from the times I've been in the passenger seat but I can't say I was paying close attention otherwise.

Navin Johnson
04-13-2020, 03:56 PM
Chicks dig Wranglers and Rovers

The new Wrangler is much nicer and drives much better than the previous one.

Around here Wranglers have unbelievable resale value. The only thing better is probably a Tacoma.

Wranglers are hard to get into.... the interior space is small and they're very expensive for what you get. And underpowered. The new diesel version will have much more torque and be much more drivable with big tires however that diesel's been very problematic in the other vehicles that it comes in.

4Runner TRDs are very capable.... Just saying.

Jeeps are Chryslers..... Just saying.

BehindBlueI's
04-13-2020, 04:10 PM
What did you hate about it, out of curiousity? I've never driven a Jeep so I have no idea how they handle. They seem kinda cramped from the times I've been in the passenger seat but I can't say I was paying close attention otherwise.

Most of the things that make it a good off-roader make it a bad on-roader. Too soft of a suspension so it wallows through turns and nose dives under heavy braking. It's pretty gutless compared to things I find interesting to drive. The interior is bare bones but you no longer pay bare bones pricing. It's noisy and not in a fun noisy way. Not like sexy engine noises and exhaust notes, just wind and road noise. It's like the worst parts of riding a motorcycle without the best parts of riding a motorcycle.

I think my wife's attraction is she imagines we'll routinely take the top off and use it as a convertible. We wouldn't.

Duelist
04-13-2020, 04:23 PM
Most of the things that make it a good off-roader make it a bad on-roader. Too soft of a suspension so it wallows through turns and nose dives under heavy braking. It's pretty gutless compared to things I find interesting to drive. The interior is bare bones but you no longer pay bare bones pricing. It's noisy and not in a fun noisy way. Not like sexy engine noises and exhaust notes, just wind and road noise. It's like the worst parts of riding a motorcycle without the best parts of riding a motorcycle.

I think my wife's attraction is she imagines we'll routinely take the top off and use it as a convertible. We wouldn't.

Get her a Miata.

BehindBlueI's
04-13-2020, 04:30 PM
Get her a Miata.

No.

I got her a Saab 9-3 turbo convertible years ago. She never drove it. She always wanted to passenger but never drive. She drove her Grand Cherokee. The Saab saw 3k miles in 2 years and I sold it. She can passenger in my Camaro with the sunroof open.

And before anyone asks, this was not something I surprised her with. She went to a couple places, we test drove the then-current Mustang V6 convertible, a VW something or other, and the Saab, she chose the Saab.

Nephrology
04-13-2020, 04:31 PM
Chicks dig Wranglers and Rovers

The new Wrangler is much nicer and drives much better than the previous one.

Around here Wranglers have unbelievable resale value. The only thing better is probably a Tacoma.

Wranglers are hard to get into.... the interior space is small and they're very expensive for what you get. And underpowered. The new diesel version will have much more torque and be much more drivable with big tires however that diesel's been very problematic in the other vehicles that it comes in.

4Runner TRDs are very capable.... Just saying.

Jeeps are Chryslers..... Just saying.

Yeah I would buy a TRD 4Runner over a Jeep every single time. a 4Runner of some flavor will be my next vehicle, aspirationally speaking.

They're incredibly popular here in Denver for what I imagine is basically the same premise. Not surprised they handle the way you describe, I'll never understand why they're such a common commuter vehicle. It seems like a pickup or SUV would give you all the off road capability most anyone would "need" + a lot more interior space and comfort.

BehindBlueI's
04-13-2020, 04:36 PM
It seems like a pickup or SUV would give you all the off road capability most anyone would "need" + a lot more interior space and comfort.

Image, mostly. They aren't going to off-road them, they just like to think of themselves (or be seen as) the sort of person who COULD off-road if they chose to. Walter Mitty-esque dreams of adventure, military history, etc.

*IF* I was going to off-road again, something I haven't done since I had a Scout, I'd probably just stick with a dedicated TJ. There's nothing really technical around here, no rock crawls or the like. It's just rutted forestry trails and old fire breaks, "mudding", and the like.

Duelist
04-13-2020, 04:37 PM
No.

I got her a Saab 9-3 turbo convertible years ago. She never drove it. She always wanted to passenger but never drive. She drove her Grand Cherokee. The Saab saw 3k miles in 2 years and I sold it. She can passenger in my Camaro with the sunroof open.

And before anyone asks, this was not something I surprised her with. She went to a couple places, we test drove the then-current Mustang V6 convertible, a VW something or other, and the Saab, she chose the Saab.

That’s funny, dude. At least, from the perspective of someone who didn’t buy a Saab. ;D

Robinson
04-18-2020, 11:40 PM
Not a Rebel, but I bought a Ram 1500 Laramie today. The Rebel I looked at was cool and all, but it really seems like more of a young man's truck. I prefer the classic look of the Laramie, chrome and all. Nicely optioned and $8K in discounts, I feel pretty good about it. I'm impressed with how nicely these trucks drive.

Crazy Dane
04-20-2020, 11:11 AM
Time to catch up...

https://i.ibb.co/98hLQDz/IMG-0157.jpg (https://ibb.co/w07X5k3)

I put on a set of nerf bars with drop steps last Thursday. They are N-Fab EpYx for less than $400 with free 2 day shipping, the dealer wanted close to $1k for something similar. They were very simple to install, the truck has factory installed studs. It took longer to unbox and unwrap them. I had a set of round ones in the cart until I saw these. I think the angles gives it little something.

My gas mileage is showing 15.8. I might get better when I quit getting on that Hemi. I gave up a little on the bottom end but gained a lot on the top from the Tundra. The difference is the gearing, 4:30 to a 3:92.

Just some other notes to hit on, if anybody is thinking. I was told by the service writer and a mechanic to stay away from the eco-diesel and the air bag suspension. They said the engine has so much emission crap on it that its causing problems. They did say one can delete those systems and have good luck with the motor but EPA. They said the air bags are problematic and worse in cold weather and is one of the big complaints they see on a regular basis.

Sorry should of been more clear, there are a bunch of options you can add to the Rebel "base" model. Did you have anything added?

I should have had better reading comprehension. The window sticker had "option 1" on it which gives me the 8 inch information screen and the towing package. I don't know how standardized these packages are but looking at others it seems that it can vary.

And did you notice the pattern in the cloth on those seats? If they are like mine, the pattern is identical to the tread pattern on your tires!! I think that's a pretty cool touch!

I did not realize that is was actually a tread pattern until you pointed it out. This is one feature that I didn't think I needed in my life and was considering seat covers.. I have never been a fan of leather but the cloth centers keep me from sliding around. Somebody was thinking when they designed these seats. I do need to find me a dog cover for the back seat.

blues
04-20-2020, 11:20 AM
I do need to find me a dog cover for the back seat.

This is what I use, FWIW...

https://www.amazon.com/River-Brown-Barrel-Double-Cover/dp/B081R2DWG6

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41rqn8ROlNL._AC_.jpg

Double sided. The other side is hunter orange. Doesn't leak through, tough cordura-like material. Has held up well. Easy to vacuum.

rob_s
04-26-2020, 09:47 AM
That's the ones. They made a noticeable difference, especially for reading street signs and the like at night. They aren't difficult to install, and despite what Youtube says you don't have to take the grill off *if* you have a decent length extension. I undid the top of the grill, leaned it out a little, and that was plenty.

FWIW I managed to get the wrong bulb. I bought a pair of H11 and apparently I need four 9005s.

I discovered this after spending an hour or so tearing off the grille and ripping the headlight housing out of the truck.

New bulbs will be here May 4-7. Not sure if I’m going to out the whole thing back together and do it all over again or wait.

I post this here just because there are so many other Ram owners in this thread. Mine is a 2016 Sport fwiw.

Here’s the difference.