PDA

View Full Version : Warrens as MRDS back up sights

LOKNLOD
04-06-2020, 11:10 PM
I’ve got a Lone Wolf RMR-cut slide and Holosun 407, both picked up on sale as a way to toe the water on the red dot pond.
I mounted the “suppressor height” sights and immediately hated them. They took up half the window, were a sail bigger than a yacht, and were generally stupid. I wanted a red dot, not a picture frame around my irons.

Then I arrived at this. I trimmed the front lip off a set of Warrens and made these vestigial BUIS. Photographing sights through a dot is all but impossible, but these are a workable reference in a pinch without being the least bit obtrusive.

Yes I got a little sloppy with the cutoff wheel there...
also, if you’re going to Dremel during a conference call, don’t forget to mute. Oops.

Magsz
04-06-2020, 11:31 PM
Very nice.

Im in the same boat. I much prefer the tips of the blades barely poking into the window. I find anything more like a true "lower third cowitness" to be way too much. The whole idea here is to maintain a threat based focus. Its hard as can be with a bunch of shit behind and in front of a window you're trying to look through.

Good stuff man, i dig it. Im a little surprised that you were able to make that work. If you have a chance, can you show us how low that red dot cut is? A good indicator is to photograph it from the side showing how close to the extractor the red dot is.

LOKNLOD
04-06-2020, 11:43 PM
Very nice.

Im in the same boat. I much prefer the tips of the blades barely poking into the window. I find anything more like a true "lower third cowitness" to be way too much. The whole idea here is to maintain a threat based focus. Its hard as can be with a bunch of shit behind and in front of a window you're trying to look through.

Good stuff man, i dig it. Im a little surprised that you were able to make that work. If you have a chance, can you show us how low that red dot cut is? A good indicator is to photograph it from the side showing how close to the extractor the red dot is.

Side view shot?

Doubt you could pull something like this off with an MOS type setup, but with a direct mount slide it’s possible.

I really think there’s an opportunity for a set designed for this type of sight picture.

EricM
04-07-2020, 02:00 AM
10-8 (https://www.10-8performance.com/glock-mos-rear-sight-standard-height-gen2/) and Dawson (https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-glock-mos-fixed-non-co-witness-sights/) both make standard height sights (.250", same as Warren I believe) intended for MOS slides that could be used this way. Look forward to your impressions shooting it using the irons...sure makes sense to me to have them as low as possible. All the combinations of optic height and mounting depth these days certainly complicate things though.

GJM
04-07-2020, 02:48 AM
Is that rear sight as sharp as it looks?

LOKNLOD
04-07-2020, 07:30 AM
Is that rear sight as sharp as it looks?

Well I'm not cutting my steak with it, but it is a warren so the inside corners of the notch are pretty pokey. Also being a G19 the dovetail is a little further back so it hangs off the back of the slide more than on a G17 or 34. This isn't going to be my carry gun any time real soon but we'll see how it feels in a holster as I work with it. I've already mutilated it so if I need to break the edges and re-black it I can.

Magsz
04-07-2020, 01:26 PM
10-8 (https://www.10-8performance.com/glock-mos-rear-sight-standard-height-gen2/) and Dawson (https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-glock-mos-fixed-non-co-witness-sights/) both make standard height sights (.250", same as Warren I believe) intended for MOS slides that could be used this way. Look forward to your impressions shooting it using the irons...sure makes sense to me to have them as low as possible. All the combinations of optic height and mounting depth these days certainly complicate things though.

Not a chance with an MOS gun.

Optic mount height is actually pretty high on those.

I have a ZEV slide that has the optics pocket cut essentially down to the extractor notch. Pretty sure I could get away with a set of standard warrens on that one...HMMMM... :)

EricM
04-07-2020, 02:20 PM
Not a chance with an MOS gun.

Optic mount height is actually pretty high on those.

I have a ZEV slide that has the optics pocket cut essentially down to the extractor notch. Pretty sure I could get away with a set of standard warrens on that one...HMMMM... :)

For sure, no way the sights I linked to would provide any kind of a cowitness with an optic on a MOS gun; they are designed to be used on MOS slides without an optic. But because they are made to mount on a MOS slide without interfering with the adapter plate, they would also not require any modification to fit behind a direct-mount optic such as the OP's setup (or presumably yours), while having the same height as the Warrens. So there are some sights available now that could be used for minimal cowitness with a low mount optic, though they are not marketed for that purpose.

Magsz
04-07-2020, 04:05 PM
For sure, no way the sights I linked to would provide any kind of a cowitness with an optic on a MOS gun; they are designed to be used on MOS slides without an optic. But because they are made to mount on a MOS slide without interfering with the adapter plate, they would also not require any modification to fit behind a direct-mount optic such as the OP's setup (or presumably yours), while having the same height as the Warrens. So there are some sights available now that could be used for minimal cowitness with a low mount optic, though they are not marketed for that purpose.

Im tracking. Good point.

rayrevolver
04-11-2020, 09:27 AM
BLUF: I am looking for sights just slightly higher than stock to peek over 407CO setup.

I was hoping the milled Suarez slide would not require higher sights, but they do. Its almost like the tops of the sights are level with the back of the Holosun using standard Gen 3 sights. So that means I need a little more than a .250 rear.

There is a spare Warren rear in my parts bin and it would need to be cut to fit like you did. BUT I don't think its any higher than my Ameriglo Agent rear. I am going to check. If its higher, I am going to cut it and then find a .235 front.

Another solution was that Suarez sells a lower sight set .285/.315. Once these are in stock I will purchase them.

https://suarezinternational.com/suarez-cowitness-height-black-front-and-rear-sights-for-glock/

EDIT: THANK YOU for this thread! I made an assumption and it was wrong. The Ameriglos are .220 rears (is that the Gen 5 height???) and my spare 10-8 (not Warrens) will peak over at .250! I just need to cut them just like you did.

Also have a plain Defoor rear, and those are even shorter at .165? I need to find the Ameriglo Agent rear and measure.

rayrevolver
04-11-2020, 05:25 PM
Boom goes the dynamite!!!

Thanks again. I swapped in a Warren FO front (.215) to match the 10-8 rear (.250). Now I am setup and didn't spend any money.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49762323251_c0d7e684f2_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2iPjV1x)