PDA

View Full Version : AAR: LSHD Murphy Strikes! Workshop

StayintheFight
05-16-2012, 01:21 PM
AAR: LSHD Murphy Strikes! Workshop May 12, 2012 - Beaver Falls, PA

http://www.lowspeed-highdrag.com/

Class Description:

"Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong."

The Murphy Strikes! workshop is a one-day class focused on gun handling - all while maintaining the usual high LSHD marksmanship standards. This workshop drills students on strong hand only (SHO) and weak hand only (WHO) shooting, manipulations, and malfunction clearance techniques.

Students will shoot unfamiliar weapons and will shoot from uncommon positions and orientations; point shooting techniques will also be covered. Reactive and steel targets will be used in various drills to facilitate a problem-solving mindset and driving through to achieve a positive outcome. A certain level of physical exertion will take place during some drills - shooters need to be honest about their physical condition.

Saturday started early with three students and two instructors, Jay and Sam. (A third instructor Ashton would join us later.) The backgrounds of the students varied, but none of us were new shooters. As we were to find out later, various other firearms than the student’s were to be used. Firearms used included: 1911’s, M&P’s, a Beretta 92FS, and a Glock 19.

Jay and Sam quickly established the rules of the day: This was a gun handling class and the four rules would be paramount! We would be practicing unusual drills and placed into different variables than most normal classes. A medical and evacuation plan was discussed in the event someone was to get hurt. (Including staging a vehicle for emergency travel and who was responsible for what.)

We were admonished that things often go wrong but that you can work through it. Problem solving became a big part of our drills. Sometimes it was a weapon malfunction, unfamiliar equipment, an unusual shooting position or weapon manipulation. Each block of drills built off of the lessons of the previous lessons. Throughout the class the instructors gave us constant feedback and various tools and methods to help us work through our limitations and get good hits on target. At one point Jay hit home that we successfully cleared a double feed WHO faster that a lot of people would with both hands!

I didn’t include specifics so as not to take away the process for anyone looking to take Murphy’s Law. This class showed me what I’m capable of and need to work on. It definitely gave me a confidence in my ability to succeed when things go wrong. I would recommend LSHD Murphy Strikes! Workshop to anyone who wants to become a better shooter.

Jay Cunningham
05-18-2012, 04:17 PM

Jay Cunningham
05-18-2012, 04:18 PM