PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 earthquake in Idaho tonight. Fairly near Lost River's area...

WDR
03-31-2020, 09:51 PM
Lost River

https://www.usgs.gov/news/magnitude-65-earthquake-felt-central-idaho

Hope all is well up that way!

I have an old friend that lives in/near Challis and she had a good shake that spooked her horses, and a big herd of elk nearby. Sounds like she's okay, but that's a pretty good shaker.

My folks have a grandfather clock, and I guess it was enough to get it to rattle even all the way down here, just 30 miles north of Salt Lake City. I didn't notice it, but we had our own 5.7 a few weeks ago, and I've been ignoring little aftershocks since. My wife's family scattered around Idaho did feel it pretty strongly. Some reports of feeling it from as far away as Winnemucca Nevada!

Totem Polar
03-31-2020, 10:37 PM
We felt it in NE WA. March is the gift that just keeps on giving, I suppose.

Noidslo
03-31-2020, 11:57 PM
I'm about 45 miles east of Coeur d'Alene and we felt the earthquake here too. Today was snow, rain, sunshine, and more snow. Welcome to spring in North Idaho. :)

Colt191145lover
04-01-2020, 12:40 AM
Felt it in Bonners Ferry.

MichaelD
04-01-2020, 12:57 AM
Didn't feel a thing here in the Salt Lake valley, but I don't envy those who were near the epicenter, given the way I felt after our 5.7 two weeks ago.

David S.
04-01-2020, 07:09 AM
Blame the Californians. ;)

My folks are up in BOI and definitely felt it.

Jay585
04-01-2020, 08:47 AM
I felt it here west of Boise. Pretty good shake, was surprised it was a 6.5!

Made a joke to my Dad California was wishing him a happy birthday by sending us a quake.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/community/boise/article241668106.html

OlongJohnson
04-01-2020, 10:51 AM
The best way to experience an earthquake is being next to 30-foot high racking filled with pallets of cast iron auto parts when it starts. Or so I've heard...

Maple Syrup Actual
04-01-2020, 12:06 PM
Having a 6.5 earthquake is just a fad...it won't do anything a 7.62 earthquake won't do and you're all just jumping on the bandwagon. Maybe go a little longer but with less impact/it's basically a gamer earthquake, you guys are suckers/OMG stop buying Recoil.

Totem Polar
04-01-2020, 12:23 PM
^^^best post in thread. Shockingly good.

Wingate's Hairbrush
04-01-2020, 01:31 PM
^^^best post in thread. Shockingly good.Aftershockingly good. :D

blues
04-01-2020, 02:23 PM
Aftershockingly good. :D

This thread is giving me tremors.

Wingate's Hairbrush
04-01-2020, 03:16 PM
This thread is giving me tremors.Laughed so hard it caused a P-wave. :eek:

blues
04-01-2020, 03:22 PM
Laughed so hard it caused a P-wave. :eek:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51VIvphY87L._AC_SY400_.jpg

Lost River
04-01-2020, 03:25 PM
Lost River

https://www.usgs.gov/news/magnitude-65-earthquake-felt-central-idaho

Hope all is well up that way!

I have an old friend that lives in/near Challis and she had a good shake that spooked her horses, and a big herd of elk nearby. Sounds like she's okay, but that's a pretty good shaker.

My folks have a grandfather clock, and I guess it was enough to get it to rattle even all the way down here, just 30 miles north of Salt Lake City. I didn't notice it, but we had our own 5.7 a few weeks ago, and I've been ignoring little aftershocks since. My wife's family scattered around Idaho did feel it pretty strongly. Some reports of feeling it from as far away as Winnemucca Nevada!

We felt it pretty good. In fact I thought it was my littlest one sneaking behind my chair pushing on it. I even told her to get out from behind my chair and knock it off. Then I realized that she was not there. :rolleyes: The kids were squirreling around playing so hard they literally never even noticed it. :cool:

I think plenty of other places felt it much worse.

WDR
04-01-2020, 04:25 PM
The best way to experience an earthquake is being next to 30-foot high racking filled with pallets of cast iron auto parts when it starts. Or so I've heard...

I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a place like that, for sure.

I had a dream about a year ago that I was at work on a night shift, and I was walking our basement/pipe galley ( I work in a large water treatment plant) as part of my rounds when a big quake hit, everything turned black, water rushing in, and I felt intense pressure and pain as the building collapsed around me... and then I woke up in bed gasping for air. The night after we had our 5.7 a few weeks ago, I had a night shift. It was a bit of a long night.

The day it happened, I was at work, outside, when it hit. Watching the top of a fence set in concrete move about 12" side to side, and seeing the water sloshing around in our filters and basins for quite a while after, was a bit of a trip. Most all of our structures are over built and probably safe in anything short of a huge quake, but I was still nervous in certain areas with overhead pipes/conduits/racks/chemicals etc.

Glad to hear all is well up there Lost River :)

blues
04-01-2020, 04:27 PM

meh...