PDA

View Full Version : Video: John Holschen of Insights Training Center on grip

zacbol
05-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Saw this posted on Facebook and thought it was worth sharing. Hoping they do some more videos.

http://gunsandtactics.com/tactical-moment-featuring-insights-training-center

bdcheung
05-16-2012, 11:08 AM
That was pretty interesting. I'd not seen nor heard of the "let go of the bottom of the gun" test before to ensure equal pressure on both sides of the gun.

JV_
05-16-2012, 11:17 AM
John teaches (or at least used to) a very neutral grip and body position so the gun recoils straight back and not back+left or back+right. My recoil pattern is a back+right, but the gun returns to the target - so I never worried about it much.

Also, he wasn't big on crushing grips or pectoral muscle pressure, mostly because he doesn't like "tension" in your upper body. As for the amount of grip squeeze, he said: imagine the force needed to grip a piece of clay, it should mold to your fingers, but not be squeezed out between them.

zacbol
05-16-2012, 11:34 AM
John teaches (or at least used to) a very neutral grip and body position so the gun recoils straight back and not back+left or back+right. My recoil pattern is a back+right, but the gun returns to the target - so I never worried about it much.

Also, he wasn't big on crushing grips or pectoral muscle pressure, mostly because he doesn't like "tension" in your upper body. As for the amount of grip squeeze, he said: imagine the force needed to grip a piece of clay, it should mold to your fingers, but not be squeezed out between them.
He still teaches that, including the analogy of squeezing clay, at least as of late 2010.

JV_
05-16-2012, 11:59 AM
at least as of late 2010.I was there in late 2011.