PDA

View Full Version : Actual RDS Failures

David S.
03-29-2020, 08:27 AM
Having just experienced my first RDS failure, I thought I'd start a thread on actual experiences.

Maybe include:
What failed?
Symptoms? (may be the most important)
Unit's age / round count / level of abuse?
How did manufacturer handle repair?
Any other info.

David S.
03-29-2020, 09:02 AM
-RMR type 2, slide mounted on a CZ P-09 that's primarily been my nightstand gun and cool weather carry gun. I rarely shoot it or dry fire it because I have a duplicate practice gun (P-09 w/ Holosun).

- Ultimately discovered the laser lens cover missing.

- Dot is two years old with under 5,000 rounds. Carried it some and ran it in a class or two, but no abuse.

- Symptoms.
At some point, the dot shifted enough that it was sitting over the right side BUIS post instead of front sight post when sights were aligned.
Unable to shoot consistent enough groups to determine and correct zero beyond about 15 yards.
3.25 MOA dot looked more like an 8 MOA fuzzy dot.

- I just discovered it last night. I have no doubt Trijicon will take care of me.

cornstalker
03-29-2020, 11:07 AM
RMR. RM06 Type 2 emitter lens dislodged in the first 300 rounds resulting in a blurry dot and massive POI shift. It was quickly repaired and returned by Trijicon. I have since sold the gun and optic.

MAP
03-30-2020, 04:10 PM
Sig Romeo 1 with 12K rounds. Emitter lens fell off and screws holding sight together came out. Sig replaced quickly no questions asked.

Sig Romeo 1 on conversion kit from Sig. Sight died within 75 rounds. Sig replaced and blamed me for over tightening sight to slide. They mounted it.

2 other Romeo 1s that, indoors, go from very dim to very bright with no in-between settings. They look good outdoors. Sig said they would take a look at them. Haven't sent them in yet.

David S.
03-30-2020, 04:18 PM
RMR. RM06 Type 2 emitter lens dislodged in the first 300 rounds resulting in a blurry dot and massive POI shift. It was quickly repaired and returned by Trijicon. I have since sold the gun and optic.

Apparently there was a run of RMR’s with weak adhesive for the emitter lens. Guessing ours were in that lot

Darth_Uno
03-30-2020, 04:55 PM
What failed? RMR06 Gen 1
Symptoms? (may be the most important) Unit flickered and/or would not stay on, with multiple batteries or Battlewerx plate
Unit's age / round count / level of abuse? Appx 3 years & 5000 rounds, plus much more dryfire (slide racking). No substantial abuse, just "normal use" (drills, carry, etc) by PF standards.
How did manufacturer handle repair? Currently at Trijicon.
Any other info. I expect a Gen 2 replacement unit, but would be content with any solution that just keeps the dot on.

Optic worked great , until one day it just...didn't. Shut off partway through my drills, and would (sometimes) turn on but not stay on after that.

So what's the take-away points from all this? Heck if I know. Have backup irons I guess.

GJM
03-30-2020, 06:59 PM
Not going to provide all the details, but I believe, between my wife and I, we have broken 31 DP Pros, 3 Romeo 3 Max, three RMRs (one type 2), 3 Vortex, and 5 CMore RTS2 optics.

GJM
03-30-2020, 07:02 PM
David’s op reminds me of that economics joke. A down turn is when you know someone who lost their job, a recession is when your brother in law loses his job, and a depression is when you lose your job.

noguns
03-30-2020, 07:08 PM
Not going to provide all the details, but I believe, between my wife and I, we have broken 31 DP Pros, 3 Romeo 3 Max, three RMRs (one type 2), 3 Vortex, and 5 CMore RTS2 optics.

Any broken Holosuns?

I just got a 508t and am thinking of getting a 507c v2.

GJM
03-30-2020, 07:20 PM
Any broken Holosuns?

Forgot that, one broken 507.

HeavyDuty
03-30-2020, 08:38 PM

Bro, never ask to borrow my Miata.

Mirolynmonbro
04-02-2020, 10:11 AM
Any broken Holosuns?

I sent my 407c v1 back for warranty because the dot kept blinking after 2k rounds / 1 year. I replaced it with a 507c v2 but don't have many rounds on it yet

JSGlock34
04-02-2020, 12:43 PM
I've had the emitter lens failure on two low round count Type 2 RM06 RMRs. As said previously, this is a known issue with an early batch that used an out-of-spec adhesive. I've seen reports that these failures were limited to cerakoted RMRs - in my experience this is not true because both of my failures were with anodized models. Newer Type 2 RMRs should not have this issue. Trijicon promptly replaced both.

I've had three Type 1 RM06 RMRs develop an intermittent dot under recoil, or the dot would change brightness under recoil. As before, Trijicon promptly repaired these and returned them. My experience with the Type 1 RM06 RMR was that the RMR would eventually develop this problem, but once repaired/upgraded by Trijicon, they were quite reliable.

I'll note that Trijicon even replaced a SRO that I had damaged, so I have no complaints about Trijicon customer service. Based on that experience I've bought additional Trijicon products.

Duke
04-02-2020, 02:17 PM
I've had the emitter lens failure on two low round count Type 2 RM06 RMRs. As said previously, this is a known issue with an early batch that used an out-of-spec adhesive. I've seen reports that these failures were limited to cerakoted RMRs - in my experience this is not true because both of my failures were with anodized models. Newer Type 2 RMRs should not have this issue. Trijicon promptly replaced both.

I've had three Type 1 RM06 RMRs develop an intermittent dot under recoil, or the dot would change brightness under recoil. As before, Trijicon promptly repaired these and returned them. My experience with the Type 1 RM06 RMR was that the RMR would eventually develop this problem, but once repaired/upgraded by Trijicon, they were quite reliable.

I'll note that Trijicon even replaced a SRO that I had damaged, so I have no complaints about Trijicon customer service. Based on that experience I've bought additional Trijicon products.

I had some dot flickering at about 5k rounds on a new RM06.

Dismounted and saw the battery had enough play in that time to begin to spin a little - which I presume caused the issues.

Replaced battery with a new one - which mic’d thicker by a couple thousandths - and it’s been solid for the last 2k

Have experienced intermittent dot brightness on an type 2 RM06-
Was concerned then realized the flash from the comp, weapon light and handheld were making it change as intended - with ambient light conditions.

8700 rounds on the above RMR though it tends to stay brighter where others tend to default dimmer in the same conditions

JSGlock34
04-02-2020, 03:35 PM
Also probably worth noting that my failures occurred irrespective of mounting solution. Whether it was an ATEi custom cut or a MOS plate didn't seem to affect optic failure. That said, I think plates like the CHPWS or newer Forward Design Controls OPF-G are superior solutions to the factory mount.