PDA

View Full Version : Frame Mounted RDS on Handguns

zeleny
03-28-2020, 12:15 PM
Has anyone switched to revolvers in a quest for a statically mounted RDS? I get great results from my Hämmerli 208S so equipped, but that Laugo Alien gimmick underwhelmed me at the range, its $5,000 price tag notwithstanding.

Pic for attention.

Bergeron
03-28-2020, 03:39 PM
That's a fun and interesting looking picture, but I would worry about the lifespan of the glass after continous exposure to blast from the barrel/cylinder gap.

The ALG 6-Second Mount and similar designs are ways to get a frame mount on a Glock, but they leave me cold with the extra bulk and uncertainty that I have about relative motion between the frame and slide of the gun. I will note that there's less motion frame-to-slide with my KKM-barreled Gen4 G19s and the stock USP and 80s-era factory Colt 1911s that are the majority of my handgun experience.

I think that Laugo is at least a partial advancement in RDS systems. I don't think that there's any argument that frame-mounted RDS are better for acheiving the very heights of performance than slide-mounted RDS, but new native designs will be necessary to get that to happen. The slide and barrel "under" the stationary sights seems like a straightforward solution, similar to the way a lot of .22s work. The Laugo is just too big and heavy to catch my attention, regardless of its (whew!) high price, and I am generally more suspicious of gas-operated semi-auto pistols than I am of the recoil-operated guns.

I think that we've got a P-F member or two working on sticking dots on DA revolvers. I'm aware of the Weig-a-tinny mount, and I'm sure that there are others.
https://www.jackweigand.com/scope.html

Duke
03-28-2020, 04:33 PM
Open division guns run frame mounted dots.

El Cid
03-28-2020, 06:17 PM
The ALG 6SM is a dream to shoot. But as you can see carrying it, never mind concealing it is tough. Makes for a great nightstand gun though.
https://i.imgur.com/kNL0nrW_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Presuming you’re looking for a concealed option, shorter slides offer less movement of the dot which is why the G19X, G45, and Sig P320 Carry are popular for optics. There’s a whole thread here on PF about it.
Ultimately technique will allow a shooter to do fantastic things with a slide mounted RDS. The real problem is the durability of the optic.

TCB
03-28-2020, 08:03 PM
I believe whoever cracks the non reciprocating dot on a CCW / Duty pistol code will start the next huge step forward in handgun design. I shot my 1st USPSA type Open gun recently...it’s like having a handheld rifle as far as sight tracking goes.

md8232
03-28-2020, 10:57 PM
That's a fun and interesting looking picture, but I would worry about the lifespan of the glass after continous exposure to blast from the barrel/cylinder gap.

The ALG 6-Second Mount and similar designs are ways to get a frame mount on a Glock, but they leave me cold with the extra bulk and uncertainty that I have about relative motion between the frame and slide of the gun. I will note that there's less motion frame-to-slide with my KKM-barreled Gen4 G19s and the stock USP and 80s-era factory Colt 1911s that are the majority of my handgun experience.

I think that Laugo is at least a partial advancement in RDS systems. I don't think that there's any argument that frame-mounted RDS are better for acheiving the very heights of performance than slide-mounted RDS, but new native designs will be necessary to get that to happen. The slide and barrel "under" the stationary sights seems like a straightforward solution, similar to the way a lot of .22s work. The Laugo is just too big and heavy to catch my attention, regardless of its (whew!) high price, and I am generally more suspicious of gas-operated semi-auto pistols than I am of the recoil-operated guns.

I think that we've got a P-F member or two working on sticking dots on DA revolvers. I'm aware of the Weig-a-tinny mount, and I'm sure that there are others.

Here is another. https://www.raptor-eng.com/raptor_sight_mounts_004.htm

El Cid
03-29-2020, 09:08 AM
I believe whoever cracks the non reciprocating dot on a CCW / Duty pistol code will start the next huge step forward in handgun design. I shot my 1st USPSA type Open gun recently...it’s like having a handheld rifle as far as sight tracking goes.

I think we have a better shot at optics getting more durable so they can ride the slide. Fixed dots present other challenges such as how to perform one hand (injured shooter) manipulations. The Laugo Arms Alien is a prime example of that.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3b/2a/c2/3b2ac29e2a20dbfaf11974dc2dd44961.jpg

TCB
03-29-2020, 11:51 AM
Yup, we’re definitely not there yet. That silencerco thing looked pretty good but seemed to die on the vine. I still think someone will figure it out eventually? Probably right before we move to phased plasma blasters...in the 40 watt range.

El Cid
03-29-2020, 01:26 PM
Yup, we’re definitely not there yet. That silencerco thing looked pretty good but seemed to die on the vine. I still think someone will figure it out eventually? Probably right before we move to phased plasma blasters...in the 40 watt range.

Agreed on the Silencerco pistol. It made the use of a WML awkward and most folks don’t want to daily carry a stamped pistol I suspect. Plus with the current rules it would be a pain to cross state lines with it. I do love that companies are pushing the envelope and innovation like that is the only way to move forward.

ssb
03-29-2020, 03:09 PM
This is somewhat pertinent.

I picked up a Glock 44 today. I'd like to put a red dot on it, but I'm pretty sketch about dovetail mounting the dot -- both from potentially overloading the slide with weight (I assume they made it as light as they did for a reason) and also because I don't really trust the polymer dovetail to hold a dovetail mount.

So I'm looking at frame mounted options. The ALG 6S mount seems to have spotty availability. Is there something decent that would clamp onto the forward rail and give me either a T1/T2 or 1913 interface up top?

GearFondler
03-29-2020, 03:34 PM
Agency Arms is about to release their own version of this but I haven't paid any attention to the details. I imagine their social media pages have some info.

Dov
03-29-2020, 03:36 PM
I've looked at this idea for Ruger revolvers with Weig-a-tinny mount, you could actually add irons to backup Red Dot that way as well with longer Weig-a-tinny.

CleverNickname
03-29-2020, 06:32 PM
Agreed on the Silencerco pistol. It made the use of a WML awkward and most folks don’t want to daily carry a stamped pistol I suspect. Plus with the current rules it would be a pain to cross state lines with it.
If you mean getting an approved ATF form 5320.20 before transporting a silencer interstate, you don't have to do that. The law specifically lists the types of NFA firearms which need ATF approval before transporting interstate, and silencers and AOWs are not listed.

awp_101
03-29-2020, 06:51 PM

https://live.staticflickr.com/4850/40017617883_b79900245d_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23YdKB2)
Love the concept, hate the Burris FF2...

El Cid
03-29-2020, 06:56 PM
If you mean getting an approved ATF form 5320.20 before transporting a silencer interstate, you don't have to do that. The law specifically lists the types of NFA firearms which need ATF approval before transporting interstate, and silencers and AOWs are not listed.

Ah. Good catch. I didn’t realize that it was only for SBR’s and SBS’s. Thanks!

peterb
03-29-2020, 07:01 PM
Love the concept, hate the Burris FF2...

What do you hate about the Burris? I've been happy so far with the one on my Ruger Mk. II.

CleverNickname
03-29-2020, 07:08 PM
Ah. Good catch. I didn’t realize that it was only for SBR’s and SBS’s. Thanks!
Machine guns and destructive devices too.

awp_101
03-29-2020, 07:31 PM
What do you hate about the Burris? I've been happy so far with the one on my Ruger Mk. II.
The auto-brightness feature. I'm usually shooting from a covered firing line at an uncovered targets. The FF2 goes to full bright even though I'm in shade and after a few minutes it's very uncomfortable to look at, almost like looking into a laser. I've taped over the sensor which helps but I'd rather be able to adjust it myself instead of having to jake leg something to tone down the dot.

Just to clarify, I think the sight itself is OK even if the window is on the small side. I just didn't know the auto-brightness feature and my eyes wouldn't play well together.

El Cid
03-29-2020, 08:25 PM
Machine guns and destructive devices too.

True. I’ll have to win the lottery before I concern myself with those. Lol! First stamp would be for a Dillon Aero though!

awp_101
03-29-2020, 09:36 PM
True. I’ll have to win the lottery before I concern myself with those. Lol! First stamp would be for a Dillon Aero though!
Then you'd have to hit a second time to feed the damn thing. Plus the helicopter and it's assorted upkeep...

zeleny
03-30-2020, 09:41 AM
Presuming you’re looking for a concealed option, shorter slides offer less movement of the dot which is why the G19X, G45, and Sig P320 Carry are popular for optics.The range of the movement of a pistol slide in cycling is independent of its length.

El Cid
03-30-2020, 11:43 AM
The range of the movement of a pistol slide in cycling is independent of its length.

Yea. Just went and compared a G34 to a G26 and you’re correct. Maybe it was the mass of the slide making a longer one feel more bouncy? I haven’t been able to find the old thread that discussed what I’m failing to explain...

Edit: found it.
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?15857-G19-with-RMR06-and-KKM-compensator

Tod-13
03-30-2020, 02:26 PM
I've looked at this idea for Ruger revolvers with Weig-a-tinny mount, you could actually add irons to backup Red Dot that way as well with longer Weig-a-tinny.

I keep looking at that too. My main idea is to get someone with a CNC machine to duplicate one in steel with space at front and rear for <insert brand> dovetails.