PDA

View Full Version : Changing dominant eyes

JAD
05-15-2012, 12:17 PM
A friend is right handed and right eye dominant; he shoots from a split-finger Weaver.

His vision was well-corrected for myopia in his right eye until he reached his late thirties; his ability to focus at any distance is now declining faster than he can keep his glasses up to script, with no clear endpoint in sight (no pun intended).

His vision is still very good in his left eye.

This is causing him to think he should switch dominant eyes. Some questions for the group:

Should he switch stances as well? Is one stance easier to 'roll over' the sight? I'm thinking of Cooper's cockeyed stance, and I've also seen a lot of cross-dominant shooters run a Chapman and roll their chin into their right shoulder as an index.
Should he mess with RDS? That would seem like a non-starter to me, since he doesn't need the improvement with his left eye and won't benefit with his right.
Should he go to a laser? That would probably significantly shorten the curve, wouldn't it?
What would his best training path be to 'seat' the new dominance?

05-15-2012, 12:55 PM
I don't really know anything about using a weaver stance other than kind of what it looks like. I would just say close the right eye and make adjustments as necessary. I am right handed and left eye dominant, but don't use a weaver stance.

You can see in this video what my draw looks like and how the gun automatically lines up with the left eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1so1ncnFHEo&feature=player_embedded

JeffJ
05-16-2012, 06:28 AM
I'm cross dominant, shoot iso, and it doesn't affect me at all. I make no noticably different motion (to me - it's obvious to someone who sees me shoot that I'm cross dominant)

Switching eyes is going to take some work. I started shooting right eyed with my left eye closed and switching to both eyes open, left eye dominant took a lot of dry fire and a mountain of .22. After doing that I'm much happier with shooting both eyes open, my left eye is my stronger and better corrected eye as well.

Since he's going to break down everything it would probably be a good time to swith to Iso.

Good luck to your friend.