PDA

View Full Version : Revolver loadout?

Rick R
03-25-2020, 11:47 AM
For those who worship in the Temple of The BiG Round Thing and carry a revolver for EDC or special occasion. What is your preferred “Load out”?

For me, I started in law enforcement when the revolver was still king. We went out to right wrongs, crush crime and rescue fair damsels with six in the gun and two speed loaders or drop pouches. There were older guys still carrying 12 extra middle of the back in loops back in the early 80’s.

These days I normally carry a Commander size 1911 (9mm not a total Neanderthal) but for nostalgia or woods hiking I’ll break out either the:

.44 S&W Mtn Gun, DeSantis Speed Scabbard, one Safariland speed loader and one speed strip or six in belt loops if I have the 1894 Marlin along.

Or

10mm Ruger 3” GP-100, Simply Rugged pancake, one or two moonclips and a .38 speed strip loaded with extra rounds.
FWIW The little cannon is 100% reliable with loose 10mm rounds.

Screwball
03-25-2020, 12:12 PM
If I’m carrying a revolver... it’s my 9mm 642-1.

https://i.imgur.com/rjRKQWQ.jpg

LaserMax weapon light, CT LG-405s, Apex Duty/Carry Kit... and redone in NP3 Plus. The 9mm cylinder is a conversion that I picked up on AR15.com, so I sort of have a convertible with the original .38 cylinder.

Usually carried on a White Hat Holster OWB, with reloads in Del Fatti carriers. I tend to carry three reloads on me, and then leave a fourth in the truck. Using Hornady 147 grain XTP.

GJM
03-25-2020, 12:14 PM
Doesn’t that Pipes guy carry a half dozen revolvers for his EDC load out?

Rick R
03-25-2020, 12:33 PM
Screwball,
I can’t get my paws or mind comfortable with a J frame size gun. A .38 / 9mm conversation DA would be really handy. That is a good looking little gun.

GJM
Would that be a New York Six Pack?

swampyank33
03-25-2020, 12:40 PM
I quite enjoy carrying my Model 66 2.75" AIWB in a JM "George", with a speed strip in the watch pocket of my jeans. Occasionally there's a Safariland loader in one of my pockets. But that's pretty much been the every day setup during cool weather.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Zeke38
03-25-2020, 12:41 PM
This is my habitual carry, 19 years of carrying DA revolvers in the service and LEO. Just comfortable with the platform.

https://i.imgur.com/zaZ480O.jpg

jetfire
03-25-2020, 02:43 PM
I carry a 3 inch LCRx in .38 Special pretty much whenever my pants are on. I don't carry a reload, although I've been thinking about changing that practice after talking to a few friends. I also have a JMCK holster coming for my 3 inch GP100 10mm, because I'm a lowkey idiot and really want to carry that AIWB.

Stephanie B
03-25-2020, 03:10 PM
For those who worship in the Temple of The BiG Round Thing and carry a revolver for EDC or special occasion. What is your preferred “Load out”?

3" Model 65 in a JMCK IWB holster, Ranger+P.

These days I normally carry a Commander size 1911 (9mm not a total Neanderthal)

Typing is hard with the scars on my hands from dragging my knuckles on the ground. (Carrying a .45 Commander since this current mess got going.)

Rick R
03-25-2020, 03:23 PM
3" Model 65 in a JMCK IWB holster, Ranger+P

An absolutely wonderful little revolver. One of the things the FBI did good on was issuing an attorney/accountant proof gun.

Do you carry a reload with it?

Stephanie B
03-25-2020, 03:25 PM
An absolutely wonderful little revolver. One of the things the FBI did good on was issuing an attorney/accountant proof gun.

Do you carry a reload with it?

Yep. A Comp-II in a front pocket and a speedstrip (8 round with 6 in it) in a back pocket.

Duelist
03-25-2020, 03:26 PM
In town, if I’m carrying a revolver, it’s usually a 642 loaded with 148gr wadcutters and a speedstrip or two loaded with four or five 110gr Hornadys. Usually in a pocket or Smartcarry, with whatever grips I’m playing with at the time, or whatever grips work with the clothes I’m wearing.

I’ve carried the same revolver in the woods loaded with 160gr hardcast loaded to 950fps. Don’t shoot it much that way, LOL! But nowadays, when hiking or hunting or otherwise woods bumming, I carry a 9mm Glock loaded with Underwood penetrators and the 642 loaded with snake shot shells. Just seems a more well-advised set of options to have.

snow white
03-25-2020, 03:36 PM
S&W 49
Gold medal match wadcutters in the gun, fmj for the reload kept in my left pocket with the flashlight. Turniquet in my left ass pocket. Tyler T grip adapter and a phlster city special. The "pad" is from my daughter's foam block set. It's a rectangle I cut diagonally, very comfortable and very cheap and replaceable.

Totem Polar
03-25-2020, 03:50 PM
This.

jws
03-25-2020, 04:37 PM
This.

Nice! Where might one be able to purchase one of those holsters?

03RN
03-25-2020, 04:56 PM
2.75" M66-8 140gr xtp over 9gr unique. A safariland comp2 in my front right pocket and a speed strip in my left rear

deputyG23
03-25-2020, 07:26 PM
My two revolvers on the books for off duty carry under my badge are my 3”M64 NY-1 and my 442-2.
That being said, I am back to carrying my issued G23 since traveling now is a bad idea.
The round guns are my LEOSA travel battery when going to my son’s home in Maryland. Holsters are a 4” Galco Summer Comfort IWB which works well with my 3” and 4” K service guns and my Ruger GP .38. Pocket holster is a Galco horsehide model.
Reloads are from a Galco 2x2x2 belt pouch loaded with 158 grain Remington LHP +P ammo and two Bianchi speed strips loaded with the 130 grain Ranger bonded +P round in the pocket with the holstered snub. This enables me to feed either gun with either loading device.
I have had the soft LHP hollow point noses mash shut when pocket carried in any sort of loader.

entropy
03-25-2020, 07:27 PM
City/Travel:

SP101 loaded with Speer Short Barrel GoldDots and a Stow n’ Go that now resembles a dog chew toy...but it works. Reload is the same with a speed strip and one of those belt clip thingies. Second speed strip if it’s a longer trip.

Woods:

GP100 .44spl loaded with 250gr Keith over 7.5gr Unique

Rick R
03-25-2020, 07:38 PM
My two revolvers on the books for off duty carry under my badge are my 3”M64 NY-1 and my 442-2.
That being said, I am back to carry my issued G23 since traveling now is pretty much impossible.
The round gums are my LEOSA travel battery when going to my son’s home in Maryland.

I qualified for LEOSA (retired) with the 10mm GP-100 since it’s adequately powerful, slick to reload, and not a semiauto. I also have a card for the 9mm Ruger Commander.

Do you carry reloads for yours? Or is the 442 a NY reload for the M64?

deputyG23
03-25-2020, 08:24 PM
Pocket/belt dump from December when I was on a revolver binge.
Thick Glock slides carried IWB were aggravating my back and right hip something fierce then..

Totem Polar
03-25-2020, 09:14 PM
Nice! Where might one be able to purchase one of those holsters?

It’s the Apollo minimalist, here:

https://legacyfirearmsco.com/apollo-minimalist/

Very comfy. I have one for 1911s too, and it even works with a 5" steel Gov’t model.

Here’s the other side:

jtcarm
03-25-2020, 11:19 PM
3" 64-5 or 2.5" 66-2 in a Lobo Leather offset belt clip. The M-64 loaded with Federal GMM wadcutters, the M-66 with Winchester STHPs.

With slightly oversized belt & britches, it carries in AIWB comfort all day long.

Out in the boonies I switch to a 4" 66-7 with handloaded Remington 158 SJHP over 17 grains of Lil Gun in a Garrett Industries OWB.

Back in the day when I spent every weekend and many weekdays
out in the brush, it was with a 4" 24-3 stoked with 7.5 Unique and an LBT 44-280-WFN. I didn't own a chono but I think it clocked about 900 fps, maybe a bit less.

The boolits were water-quenched wheelweights, and I suspect that load would've penetrated a brahman bull end-to-end.

The neighbors thought I was nuts, but I was well-prepared to handle any buffalo that crossed my trail.

deputyG23
03-26-2020, 05:37 AM
I qualified for LEOSA (retired) with the 10mm GP-100 since it’s adequately powerful, slick to reload, and not a semiauto. I also have a card for the 9mm Ruger Commander.

Do you carry reloads for yours? Or is the 442 a NY reload for the M64?

I was editing the post to answer your question when you posted.
I do carry at least one reload per firearm. Revolvers get two. Glock gets one.
If I carried my 1911s, they would get two.
Mine are all .45 with ordinary seven round mags and shot exclusively with ball ammo.
Once I ever retire and not obligated to Austrian Tupperware, I intend to get proficient with them and vet them for carry with proper premium HP ammo.
The 10mm GP is starting to interest me since I recently bought a bike trailer full of gun accessories and reloading gear from an estate which contained hundreds of primed 10mm cases and probably 2K projectiles.
What do you carry in yours and how are the moon clips holding up?
I have no experience with moon clip fed revolvers.

Rick R
03-26-2020, 09:16 AM
So far retirement is a wonderful thing, if you can let go. Most LEOs can’t, that’s why we hit 65 and die off.

I previously owned a S&W Night Guard Scandium N frame in .45acp , loved the concept, disliked the revolver.
I bought a Ruger SR1911 in 10mm since I love that cartridge then later picked up the GP-100 on a whim. It’s an accurate little cannon. When in a revolver frame of mind I have been carrying it in a Simply Rugged pancake holster with an extra moonclip in a Simply Rugged pouch and a six round .38 Speed Strip with six extra 10mm rounds in a pouch from SR. If I’m wearing a jacket or vest I’ll weight the right hand side with an extra full moonclip. JM Custom sent my OWB-1 this week which kind of launched this thread. I can IWB a 1911 or Glock, too much girth in a revolver for my comfort.

The moonclips that Ruger supplies work for range use since you can load/unload them without tools but they don’t hang on to the cartridges well enough for pocket carry. Someone on some forum enlightened me about the Ranch Products moonclips designed for the .40 S&W 646 and they work perfectly though a mooning / demooning tool saves on finger wear.

For social carry I normally use the SIG 180gr V Crown or my own 180gr Gold Dot over enough BE-86 for 1,205fps load. FWIW the 5” SR1911 hits 1,250fps with that load so the GP isn’t giving up much in its 3” barrel. I also cast a 200gr wfn NOE designed bullet that is extremely accurate, goes 1,150fps and penetrates 8 gallon water jugs at 10 yards.

deputyG23
03-26-2020, 09:43 AM
So far retirement is a wonderful thing, if you can let go. Most LEOs can’t, that’s why we hit 65 and die off.

I previously owned a S&W Night Guard Scandium N frame in .45acp , loved the concept, disliked the revolver.
I bought a Ruger SR1911 in 10mm since I love that cartridge then later picked up the GP-100 on a whim. It’s an accurate little cannon. When in a revolver frame of mind I have been carrying it in a Simply Rugged pancake holster with an extra moonclip in a Simply Rugged pouch and a six round .38 Speed Strip with six extra 10mm rounds in a pouch from SR. If I’m wearing a jacket or vest I’ll weight the right hand side with an extra full moonclip. JM Custom sent my OWB-1 this week which kind of launched this thread. I can IWB a 1911 or Glock, too much girth in a revolver for my comfort.

The moonclips that Ruger supplies work for range use since you can load/unload them without tools but they don’t hang on to the cartridges well enough for pocket carry. Someone on some forum enlightened me about the Ranch Products moonclips designed for the .40 S&W 646 and they work perfectly though a mooning / demooning tool saves on finger wear.

For social carry I normally use the SIG 180gr V Crown or my own 180gr Gold Dot over enough BE-86 for 1,205fps load. FWIW the 5” SR1911 hits 1,250fps with that load so the GP isn’t giving up much in its 3” barrel. I also cast a 200gr wfn NOE designed bullet that is extremely accurate, goes 1,150fps and penetrates 8 gallon water jugs at 10 yards.
Thanks!
BE-86 is my go to powder for handgun loads.
Works very well in 9mm through .45 plus 38 standard pressure loads that mimic +P velocity with a 158 grain lead bullet.
Am now testing the remainder of a three pound can of WSF in .40 loads that came with the estate buy.
I have a ton of powders now to play with..

jtcarm
03-26-2020, 11:58 AM
I was editing the post to answer your question when you posted.
I do carry at least one reload per firearm. Revolvers get two. Glock gets one.
If I carried my 1911s, they would get two.
Mine are all .45 with ordinary seven round mags and shot exclusively with ball ammo.
Once I ever retire and not obligated to Austrian Tupperware, I intend to get proficient with them and vet them for carry with proper premium HP ammo.
The 10mm GP is starting to interest me since I recently bought a bike trailer full of gun accessories and reloading gear from an estate which contained hundreds of primed 10mm cases and probably 2K projectiles.
What do you carry in yours and how are the moon clips holding up?
I have no experience with moon clip fed revolvers.

I have the 4" MC.

The factory moons are a bit flimsy IMO and won't pop .40s reliably. On the plus side, the only tools required are a finger & thumb.

I bought the expensive TKs until discovering the ranch products moons for the 646 work just as well and cost way less.

I swapped for this revolver to have a gun I could run in IDPA and pack in the field to handle feral hogs.

Thus far accuracy with .40 ammo is underwhelming. I think the short case combined with running .401 cast bullets through .402 throats is making this a non-starter.

The only 10mm I've shot is cheap practice stuff, and I haven't shot it from the bench yet.

A 625 PC is pulling ahead in the race for a gun to fill this role.

Now I'm starting to think why not a 1911, if I can get used to the two-stage recoil.

Rick R
03-26-2020, 12:20 PM
The Match Champion is a nice gun, I thought too long about buying one of the 5” 10mm GP-100 guns that Ruger made, then they discontinued them after about fifteen minutes.

TK makes a thicker moonclip that allegedly help .40S&W fire reliably but since I don’t own a .40 it’s a moot point for my needs. 10mm is really a reloader’s cartridge and the revolver helps keep from losing 60% of your brass like from the semi.
Really the warm 180gr or 200gr loadings are a different beast than .45acp +p stuff. Interesting enough I haven’t had problems with the 10mm bullets backing out under recoil like I encountered with my Scandi framed .45acp revolver.

fatdog
03-26-2020, 01:01 PM
My only real revolver carry anymore is for the NPE situations. A 642 or Colt Agent in a Galco bellyband, tucked shirt. 2 speed strips configured 2x2. All ammo is BuffalloBore 110gr standard pressure Barnes all copper HP's

JTMcC
03-26-2020, 03:51 PM
At least 3 speedloaders for me (4" N frame all day every day), because groups of feral dogs just won't, stand, still.
And one instance years ago of having an empty gun and no more ammo close by, that did it for me.

Some times a 1911 in addition to a revolver, with 2 spare mags.

Rick R
03-26-2020, 04:06 PM
I think the saying is “You can’t have too much ammo” “(unless you’re swimming or on fire)”

Packs of dogs sounds like a good time to accessorize the N frame with a 1894 Marlin...

JTMcC
03-26-2020, 04:13 PM
I think the saying is “You can’t have too much ammo” “(unless you’re swimming or on fire)”

Packs of dogs sounds like a good time to accessorize the N frame with a 1894 Marlin...

That's a good suggestion, I carry around a IMI Timberwolf in .44 mag, tube capacity is 10 rounds.
I agree with the "too much ammo" phrase. I work out of my truck and would hate to guess how many rounds are in it at any given time :D

vtfarmer
03-26-2020, 06:58 PM
Cool weather carry, which still has a month or two to go hereabouts, 4" GP100, .357, in a shoulder holster with 4 speedloaders under the off arm. In hot weather it's a SP101, same caliber, in a jeans pocket with a speed strip in an other pocket. When haying on a tractor in the summer, there's a tool box next to the seat that carries a 4" Security Six plus two speedloaders and a speed strip.

jtcarm
03-26-2020, 07:30 PM
The Match Champion is a nice gun, I thought too long about buying one of the 5” 10mm GP-100 guns that Ruger made, then they discontinued them after about fifteen minutes.

TK makes a thicker moonclip that allegedly help .40S&W fire reliably but since I don’t own a .40 it’s a moot point for my needs. 10mm is really a reloader’s cartridge and the revolver helps keep from losing 60% of your brass like from the semi.
Really the warm 180gr or 200gr loadings are a different beast than .45acp +p stuff. Interesting enough I haven’t had problems with the 10mm bullets backing out under recoil like I encountered with my Scandi framed .45acp revolver.

Yeah I've about given up on the .40 thing.

Just like the Sc/Ti .45, looked good on paper.

I wish Sierra woukd sell the 180 V crowns for reloading.

Lester Polfus
03-26-2020, 07:35 PM
Cool weather carry, which still has a month or two to go hereabouts, 4" GP100, .357, in a shoulder holster with 4 speedloaders under the off arm. In hot weather it's a SP101, same caliber, in a jeans pocket with a speed strip in an other pocket. When haying on a tractor in the summer, there's a tool box next to the seat that carries a 4" Security Six plus two speedloaders and a speed strip.

Hey!

So it's been an open question for me whether an SP101 is too big for pocket carry. Can you share some details, like roughly how big of a person you are, what pants you find work well, and what holster?

vtfarmer
03-26-2020, 08:47 PM
Hey!

So it's been an open question for me whether an SP101 is too big for pocket carry. Can you share some details, like roughly how big of a person you are, what pants you find work well, and what holster?

I'm 5' 7", 150 lbs. The SP101 is the 2 1/4" DAO spurless hammer. I wear jeans pretty much all the time. If making a run into town I stick in a front pocket in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Given the size of the pocket the grip is barely inside, but I use a long waist tee shirt that covers 2/3 or more of the pocket. The holster gives it a rounded profile. So while a direct look would see something in the pocket, there isn't any hint as to what. And as common as it is at the current time to stick oversize smart phones in pockets, I've never had anyone look twice. That includes the barbershop and the dentist. On the other hand, working around the farm where concealment is less of an issue, I often stick it in a hip pocket.

deputyG23
03-27-2020, 07:13 AM
I'm 5' 7", 150 lbs. The SP101 is the 2 1/4" DAO spurless hammer. I wear jeans pretty much all the time. If making a run into town I stick in a front pocket in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Given the size of the pocket the grip is barely inside, but I use a long waist tee shirt that covers 2/3 or more of the pocket. The holster gives it a rounded profile. So while a direct look would see something in the pocket, there isn't any hint as to what. And as common as it is at the current time to stick oversize smart phones in pockets, I've never had anyone look twice. That includes the barbershop and the dentist. On the other hand, working around the farm where concealment is less of an issue, I often stick it in a hip pocket.

Wish Ruger would offer a six shot .38 +P rated SP101. I don't need or desire the .357 option.

Rick R
03-27-2020, 09:21 AM
Wish Ruger would offer a six shot .38 +P rated SP101. I don't need or desire the .357 option.

Weren’t those called the Security and Speed Six? ;)
My second centerfire handgun was a 6” Security Six, I still have it. One of my regrets is not picking up a 2 3/4” Speed Six back in the day. You rarely see them where I live.

I carry too much stuff in my pockets to add a handgun in there. A friend had an SP101 sent off to a gunsmith. Added a nite sight, ported the top of the barrel, fancy laminate grips, action job and hammer bob. He spent more on upgrades than on the initial handgun. It was a sweet shooting little gun.

deputyG23
03-27-2020, 09:26 AM
Weren’t those called the Security and Speed Six? ;)
My second centerfire handgun was a 6” Security Six, I still have it. One of my regrets is not picking up a 2 3/4” Speed Six back in the day. You rarely see them where I live.

I carry too much stuff in my pockets to add a handgun in there.

The SP is comparable in size to the D frame Colts. The old Ruger Six series were comparable to the K Smiths.
Those were popular private purchase revolvers for our jail deputies back in the '80s along with K and, later in the '80s, L frame Smiths.

jetfire
03-27-2020, 11:38 AM
The SP is comparable in size to the D frame Colts. The old Ruger Six series were comparable to the K Smiths.
Those were popular private purchase revolvers for our jail deputies back in the '80s along with K and, later in the '80s, L frame Smiths.

There are still pretty good nick Speedies on gunbroker, but they'll run $400+ these days, which is insane to me.

Zeke38
03-27-2020, 11:49 AM
I have the Colt New Cobra in two iterations: The 2017 stock and just picked up the Night Cobra. Love these Colts. Very accurate with better triggers than the originals, and I owned the originals. I also have a Kimber k6 2". It is a notch above the Colts but all are roughly the same size as the SP101 and they all carry six rounds and weigh in the 23-25oz range. None of them will do you wrong. My Kimber will fit into a Lobo Holster for a Smith 640Pro and the Colts ride in a Galco Combat Master made for an SP101, which I no longer have.

Hope this helps Deputy G23.

Tactical, naw but i live in a rural area and I'm a long time retired to still religiously goes to the range one day a week and works with at least one of my snubbys. They are just too portable and dirt simple to operate.

deputyG23
03-27-2020, 12:22 PM
There are still pretty good nick Speedies on gunbroker, but they'll run $400+ these days, which is insane to me.

Yep.
Our folks used to buy them from Hub Uniforms in Richmond for $185.

JonInWA
03-27-2020, 02:36 PM
For me, with my GP100, carried in a Kramer horsehide IWB: Upside down in a Galco 2X2X2 pouch, on a Bianchi Speed Strip: 6 rounds of Federal 158 gr HydraShok, on belt in 1 o'clock position; in a Tactical Tailor phone pouch, 2 X Speed Strips of the same; in a vest or jacket strong side pocket, a Safariland Comp III loaded with the same, for a total of 6 in the GP100, 24 on hand;

In my Security Six, carried in a Blade Tech IWB kydex holster: Same set up as with GP100, except using 125 gr .38 Special+P Remington Golden Sabers all around. Speedloader in pocket is a Safariland Comp II for a S&W K frame (which are slightly smaller than the Comp II Safariland makes for the Ruger -Sixes, but works just as well).

A field alternative holster for either pistol is my full-flap Bianchi UM84R, or a Hunter old-school leather w/securing strap OWB for the Security Six.

Best, Jon

rm06
03-27-2020, 08:04 PM
It’s the Apollo minimalist, here:

https://legacyfirearmsco.com/apollo-minimalist/

Very comfy. I have one for 1911s too, and it even works with a 5" steel Gov’t model.

Here’s the other side:

Thanks for posting the link, bookmarked. I like the offset clip too, reduces bulk.

badge851
03-28-2020, 10:48 AM
My EDCG is a Smith&Wesson® M&P® BODYGUARD™ w/Crimson Trace® Laser 38 Special BG38 (SKU: 10062)...

My BUG is a Charter Arms® UNDERCOVER® DAO 38 Special (#13811)...

snow white
03-29-2020, 08:11 PM
Just picked up a 638 to supplement my model 49. Plug on the way to take the place of the lock.

revolvergeek
03-30-2020, 03:17 PM
That's a good suggestion, I carry around a IMI Timberwolf in .44 mag, tube capacity is 10 rounds.
I agree with the "too much ammo" phrase. I work out of my truck and would hate to guess how many rounds are in it at any given time :D

Apologies for the drift, but how is that Timberwolf working out? I always loved the look and feel of them but they are very scarce down here. I have only ever seen three .357s for sale and two of them broke while being handled on the display rack (one at a shop I was working at) so that worried me. No experience with the .44 model though.

Thanks,
Danny

JTMcC
03-30-2020, 06:31 PM
Apologies for the drift, but how is that Timberwolf working out? I always loved the look and feel of them but they are very scarce down here. I have only ever seen three .357s for sale and two of them broke while being handled on the display rack (one at a shop I was working at) so that worried me. No experience with the .44 model though.

Thanks,
Danny

Mine has been fine, I've never kept it in a 4 wheeler rack or really done anything that would tend to bang it up a bit.
It rides with me in my truck most days, has been strapped to a ruck a few times.
The only issue I've ever heard about (but not experienced) is extractor problems. After market improved versions supposedly cure that.
It's 5 1/2 LB of .44 RM goodness to me. They are petite guns, a very narrow receiver and small/slender buttstock. I wouldn't butt stroke a raging methhead with it. IMI (now IWI) didn't spend time making the receiver "svelt", it's kind of chunky looking.
I think if I build a side folder for it, it would be a superslick rucksack gun.
Peter J. Kokalis wrote a pretty positive review on them way back then, that kind of got me interested.

Mitch
03-31-2020, 10:54 PM
My working revolvers are down to two j frames, a 642 and a 442. The 442 is my main go to with crimson trace boot grips on it, usually carried with one Safariland speed loader if it’s the only gun I have on me. The 642 has Uncle Mikes rubber version of the Spegel boot grips and is loaded with wad cutters and a speed strip reload.

I go back and forth on putting laser grips on the 642. The main reason I don’t is because lasers are illegal in Chicago and on the rare occasion I have to go to that shit hole I usually need something really deep concealed. That’s pretty much the 642s sole purpose. Deep concealment shit hole gun.

Malamute
03-31-2020, 11:20 PM
With a small gun like a J or Colt D, gun and one speed loader in right front pocket, no holster or plastic milk jug holster to reduce wear on the pocket. Also two speed strips in the watch pocket. Ive worn through several watch pockets from the sharp edges on the speed strips, Ive filed the edges a bit with emery boards but probably should do more filing.

Field/belt gun is usually on a cartridge belt with 24 or so rds on the belt and one speed loader, sometimes a speed strip or two in a pocket if convenient. Single action revolver same, but no speed loader, I often carry 6 spares in a pocket pointed the correct direction to load into the gun when removed from the pocket.

JTQ
04-01-2020, 01:40 PM
I ran into this Bactrian pocket J/K Frame speed loader pouch from Aholster a while back and thought it may interest some of you revolver folks as way to carry some extra ammo.

https://aholster.com/product/the-aholster-bactrian/

rd62
04-01-2020, 02:06 PM
I ran into this Bactrian pocket J/K Frame speed loader pouch from Aholster a while back and thought it may interest some of you revolver folks as way to carry some extra ammo.

I like the looks of that and how it orients the speeloaders.
Seems it would break up the outline of the reload well also if that were a concern.

eb07
04-01-2020, 03:36 PM
Whether I am carrying the model 19 or the 442 same loadout

One speedloader front pocket and one 8 round soeedstrip with 6 rounds in a sticky holster in back pocket. Both weak side. That's how I load.

All reloads are 135gr Speer gold dot sb +p. Model 19 has magnums of same flavor loaded

Both are carried in sideguard quick clips appendix. I added the wedge to the m 19 holster. Works great.

I'm a guy who grew up as a young adult owning Glocks and the issued m92 but I have a deep love for revolvers. The model 19 is my dad's old police revolver. I pretty much cut my teeth on model 19's at police ranges in the 79s and 80s learning to shoot as a kid.

https://i.postimg.cc/6pPY5qmK/IMG-20200401-132752.jpg

Rick R
04-01-2020, 05:05 PM

I’d like to see that made to hold moon clips.

claymore504
04-02-2020, 08:16 AM
Usually it is a Ruger LCR loaded with Winchester Ranger +P with speed strip. Sometimes I will go with the SP101.

03RN
04-02-2020, 12:49 PM
Just got a used galco shoulder holster for 2" k frames for cheap. Super easy to thow on a gun and 18 rounds(2 speed strip pouches on offside).

I actually got it to share with my wife so she might be more likely to carry at home.

Ive always liked shoulder holsters.

I wear an old cammie blouse as a light jacket alot and makes a perfect cover garment.

Mike Pipes
04-05-2020, 08:43 AM
Doesn’t that Pipes guy carry a half dozen revolvers for his EDC load out?

Sorry guys and gals late to the party. 640pro AIWB, 340pds for pockets and 342's for ankles. NUTTIN carries as easy as J frames.....CYA

Rick R
04-05-2020, 09:27 AM

Sorry guys and gals late to the party. 640pro AIWB, 340pds for pockets and 342's for ankles. NUTTIN carries as easy as J frames.....CYA

Do you carry any extra ammo for all that iron?
Nice collection BTW!

rd62
04-05-2020, 12:09 PM
Nice collection BTW!

Looks to me like his spare ammo is wrapped in another j frame.

Grizzly
04-05-2020, 12:29 PM
I bought this older 3" Bulldog .44 special off Gunbroker. After 3 trips to CA and a new barrel (to straighten poi), polishing and rebluing, and new grips, I carry it most every day with a speed strip loaded with Silvertips and loaded with Underwood full wadcutters. If they kept the porting and instead put a sight on their little 2" .44 special blaster, I might buy one of them also. If I ever get around to trying to find a grip adapter, I might put those old grips back on.

Rick R
04-05-2020, 12:55 PM
I bought this older 3" Bulldog .44 special off Gunbroker. After 3 trips to CA and a new barrel (to straighten poi), polishing and rebluing, and new grips, I carry it most every day with a speed strip loaded with Silvertips and loaded with Underwood full wadcutters. If they kept the porting and instead put a sight on their little 2" .44 special blaster, I might buy one of them also. If I ever get around to trying to find a grip adapter, I might put those old grips back on.

My first ever CF handgun was a .44 Bulldog, sold it to a guy who wanted something to carry snake shot in as his business was clearing power and gas line right of ways. I don’t think that gun ever fired another solid slug after he got it. I’d forgotten that gun, the cylinder latch liked to bite my thumb in recoil and it only held five so in the lack of wisdom of youth it didn’t stay long.

Nice Mernickle leather, his holsters do carry nice.

Mike Pipes
04-05-2020, 03:26 PM
Nice collection BTW!

Yes sir Rick I do. A 5rd slow strip in a pouch on my belt at 330. A slow strip in my right rear slash pocket of 511's. I use to carry Round nose reloads BUT after hearing DB say at the Pat Rogers Revolver Round Up, we were fooling ourselves thinking we might reload successfully under fire. So like Jeff Cooper's extra mag my reloads are for "afterwards". The slow strips are loaded with my carry Buffalo Bore 150 hard cast wadcutter.......CYA

Mike Pipes
04-05-2020, 03:28 PM
Looks to me like his spare ammo is wrapped in another j frame.

TRU DAT

Rick R
04-05-2020, 04:08 PM
Yes sir Rick I do. A 5rd slow strip in a pouch on my belt at 330. A slow strip in my right rear slash pocket of 511's. I use to carry Round nose reloads BUT after hearing DB say at the Pat Rogers Revolver Round Up, we were fooling ourselves thinking we might reload successfully under fire. So like Jeff Cooper's extra mag my reloads are for "afterwards". The slow strips are loaded with my carry Buffalo Bore 150 hard cast wadcutter.......CYA

I figure the reload comes during a lull in the festivities, I mix it up with speedloaders/moonclips and “slow strips” to top off after firing one or two at a varmint of the four or no legged variety.

Thanks for the insight.

Stay safe.

Dov
04-05-2020, 06:58 PM

Just curious, do you ever use a CCW bigger than a J frame, or just step up to gauge or rifle if you feel something more is prudent?

Mike Pipes
04-05-2020, 07:33 PM
Just curious, do you ever use a CCW bigger than a J frame, or just step up to gauge or rifle if you feel something more is prudent?

Dov, I do carry a rifle in my truck vault. I do not think I will ever fight my way to it. On my person just the J frames.

CYA

Rex G
04-05-2020, 08:30 PM
My load-out varies too much, lately, to be both specific and brief, and, depending upon upon how my next LEOSA qual goes, I may be Glock-only, for a while. With PD ranges not doing quals, due to the pandemic, I may go to a private shooting school/range, several hours away, that does LEOSA quals, get everything done as quickly as possible, which means using a Glock, while gloved-up, then tossing everything, including my outer later of clothing, into a bag, and my boots into the back of the truck, for the trip home. My wife’s health is too fragile for me to risk doing anything extra, such as shooting the qual a second time for revolvers. Reloading revolvers is a bit tedious while gloved-up.

Plus, the shooting school specifies that one must wear a duty-type holster, and I am not certain what I still have, for revolvers, will meet their standards, and I would rather not take the time to change rigs, anyway.

If the qual card they give me does not specify auto, well, I may carry both autos and revolvers. The card my former employer issues will specify either auto, or revolver; I need to shoot a qual for each, if I want to carry both

After this COVID thing settles down, well, I can go to the Houston PD range, and get qual’ed with both revolver and auto. I can qual as often as I want; no need to wait a year. An LEOSA qual card has a specified date, and is good for one year. (I am kicking myself for not getting my qual done early, before this pandemic mess.)

I like the Milt Sparks PMK, and the Kramer Vertical Scabbard, and the Kramer Crossdraw, which I wear AOWB, rather than cross-draw. If I feel like AIWB, well, JMCK, of course.

If I can dress around them, I like the GP100, Speed Six, and K-snubs. I will often bring HKS speed-loaders, for these medium-frame weapons.

Light days, or deeper concealment, or just because, well, SP101, times however many I feel like carrying; three is not unusual. With the cylinder providing less work space, with these little guys, I do not usually carry speed-loaders, as the multiple guns provide the speed. Bianchi Slow Strips, which I carry, are only speedy for a two-round “tactical” reload.

My hands are long, but not wide. My fingers are not long. So, an SP101 is a quite good fit; I can get my pinkie firmly onto the OEM SP101 grip.

J-snubs punish the base joint of my right thumb, unless I use over-sized, cushioned grips. That makes a J as big as an SP101. On occasion, I will carry a J-snub on the left side.

Short barrels, 2” to 3”, are fine. I may well carry a longer-barreled weapon, when the urge strikes, such as on road trips, but my eyesight is fading, with age, and I no longer enjoy qualified immunity, so the idea is to scrape an attacker off of me, especially in this county, where the DA seems to have a grudge against LEOs.

Rex G
04-05-2020, 08:44 PM

I see that the both say “slow strips.” :)

I have carried as many as four SP101 snubbies, at the same time. To carry five, one would have to be .32 H&R, and 4”. :)

Lester Polfus
04-05-2020, 10:48 PM
I see that the both say “slow strips.” :)

I have carried as many as four SP101 snubbies, at the same time. To carry five, one would have to be .32 H&R, and 4”. :)

Hey Rex. You ever carry an SP101 in a pocket? I'm still trying to figure out if that is a good idea.

Rex G
04-06-2020, 06:26 AM
Hey Rex. You ever carry an SP101 in a pocket? I'm still trying to figure out if that is a good idea.

Yes, I have, using a Kramer pocket holster. but finding trousers with sufficiently voluminous pockets has become truly problematic. Now that I almost live in VertX pants, I have plenty of volume, except that the grip is not reliably concealed, due to the rear part of the front pocket being cut so low, so I have to wear a long cover garment. I had recently found a local place to try Duluth fire hose pants, but then this pandemic shut-down happened.

The only jeans that worked, for this, for me, were Diamond Gusset, but I was not impressed buy their longevity. That was some time ago, and I wonder if their pockets have gotten smaller, as seems to have become the style with other jeans.

Whether or not pocket carry is a “good idea,” or not, however, extends to the tactical aspect. When one is bent at the hip or waist, getting the weapon clear of the pocket can be problematic. Unless one can reliably anticipate trouble, pocket carry may not be the best place for one’s primary weapon.

Overall, a J-Frame, round-butt, with the classic 1-7/8” barrel, is a better pocket gun. The SP101 starts with a 2.25” barrel, and a longer, less-rounded grip.

Lester Polfus
04-06-2020, 10:40 AM
Yes, I have, using a Kramer pocket holster. but finding trousers with sufficiently voluminous pockets has become truly problematic. Now that I almost live in VertX pants, I have plenty of volume, except that the grip is not reliably concealed, due to the rear part of the front pocket being cut so low, so I have to wear a long cover garment. I had recently found a local place to try Duluth fire hose pants, but then this pandemic shut-down happened.

The only jeans that worked, for this, for me, were Diamond Gusset, but I was not impressed buy their longevity. That was some time ago, and I wonder if their pockets have gotten smaller, as seems to have become the style with other jeans.

Whether or not pocket carry is a “good idea,” or not, however, extends to the tactical aspect. When one is bent at the hip or waist, getting the weapon clear of the pocket can be problematic. Unless one can reliably anticipate trouble, pocket carry may not be the best place for one’s primary weapon.

Overall, a J-Frame, round-butt, with the classic 1-7/8” barrel, is a better pocket gun. The SP101 starts with a 2.25” barrel, and a longer, less-rounded grip.

Roger that. Pocket carry is certainly a compromise, but there are times it's the right thing for me. I'm going to replace my Smith 638 with something that has better sights. It really looks like the 640 Pro is going to be it.

Half Moon
04-06-2020, 11:13 AM
Roger that. Pocket carry is certainly a compromise, but there are times it's the right thing for me. I'm going to replace my Smith 638 with something that has better sights. It really looks like the 640 Pro is going to be it.

For me, anything with greater than a 1 7/8" barrel leaves at least a hint of back strap visible under certain circumstances where the pocket flexes open a hair. Probably solvable with deeper pocketed pants but haven't been in a rush to change my wardrobe. Also probably too paranoid about other folks powers of observation :-)

Dave T
04-06-2020, 11:48 AM
I'm too old and broken to carry on or in the waistband any longer so I'm humiliating myself by carrying a man-purse. In my case it's an old Maxpadition GTG (Good-to-Go) bag. In the CC pocket at the back is my TK-Custom modified 386 Night Guard. In addition to the Moonclip modification I replaced the factory fixed rear with a standard, plain blade S&W adjustable rear, with the outside corners rounded.

Because of the short stroke of the 2.5" barrel's ejector, and in perhaps an even larger part because my old arthritic hands can't handle Magnums anymore, I carry the Buffalo Bore Heavy 38 Special +P SWCHP-GC. In addition to the seven Mooncliped in the modified cylinder I have two more Moonclips loaded with the same ammunition on a modified two Moonclip belt holder in the verticle pouch on the left side of the GTG bag.

I also bought a 642 without the IL. Had my gunsmith install a XS standard dot to make the front sight at least visible. Haven't yet figured out pocket carry. The leather pocket holster in the jeans I always wear makes it look like I have a gun in my pocket. And, the bloody thing is hard to get out with a decent grip on the gun. If pocket carry is in my future it will take some work on my part to get it right.

Getting old (and broken) sucks. These aren't the golden years, that's just a trick of the light. They're the rusted years. (smile)

Dave

Mike Pipes
04-06-2020, 11:56 AM
I'm too old and broken to carry on or in the waistband any longer so I'm humiliating myself by carrying a man-purse. In my case it's an old Maxpadition GTG (Good-to-Go) bag. In the CC pocket at the back is my TK-Custom modified 386 Night Guard. In addition to the Moonclip modification I replaced the factory fixed rear with a standard, plain blade S&W adjustable rear, with the outside corners rounded.

Because of the short stroke of the 2.5" barrel's ejector, and in perhaps an even larger part because my old arthritic hands can't handle Magnums anymore, I carry the Buffalo Bore Heavy 38 Special +P SWCHP-GC. In addition to the seven Mooncliped in the modified cylinder I have two more Moonclips loaded with the same ammunition on a modified two Moonclip belt holder in the verticle pouch on the left side of the GTG bag.

I also bought a 642 without the IL. Had my gunsmith install a XS standard dot to make the front sight at least visible. Haven't yet figured out pocket carry. The leather pocket holster in the jeans I always wear makes it look like I have a gun in my pocket. And, the bloody thing is hard to get out with a decent grip on the gun. If pocket carry is in my future it will take some work on my part to get it right.

Getting old (and broken) sucks. These aren't the golden years, that's just a trick of the light. They're the rusted years. (smile)

Dave

DAVE, TRY YA AN AHOLSTER FOR YOUR POCKET........CYA

Hambo
04-06-2020, 12:32 PM

I'll second that.

Grizzly
04-06-2020, 06:14 PM

I don't know if anything draws easily from a tight jean pocket. Some jeans have larger pockets like the Carhartts. Anymore before I buy a pair, I check the pockets for roominess and depth since i sometimes like to stuff that 3" Bulldog in there. Also works so much better with pockets that aren't only open at the top but down the side also.

Dave T
04-07-2020, 11:21 AM
Mike,

I ordered an AHolster. If it doesn't work it's all your fault. (LOL)

Dave

Mike Pipes
04-07-2020, 12:13 PM
Mike,

I ordered an AHolster. If it doesn't work it's all your fault. (LOL)

Dave

I hear ya brother. If you don't like it I'll buy it from ya.............................CYA

Dagga Boy
04-07-2020, 01:10 PM
You also need “Dad pants” as opposed to mom jeans or teen jeans (skinny). Dad pants have big, deep pockets and a relaxed fit (for fat people with thunder thighs). Trying to pocket carry in tight jeans in no different that trying to carry a full size service pistol IWB in tightly fitted jeans.

jetfire
04-07-2020, 01:17 PM
You also need “Dad pants” as opposed to mom jeans or teen jeans (skinny). Dad pants have big, deep pockets and a relaxed fit (for fat people with thunder thighs). Trying to pocket carry in tight jeans in no different that trying to carry a full size service pistol IWB in tightly fitted jeans.

Cargo shorts are also great, especially down here in SoFla where they're basically appropriate year round.

Eli
04-07-2020, 01:48 PM
99% of the time, if I'm carrying a revolver, this is what I'm carrying.

A semi-bobbed 360-J with a strip in the watch pocket (along with a POM hot sauce). The vast majority of the time, I'm carrying a Langdon 92. A revolver, for me, is carried NPE or if I'm going to just be hanging out at home, or at a friends house...somewhere I'm "virtually" certain that no one is going to need to be shot...and access to a long-gun is pretty quick. It's my, "I'm not going to bother carrying a gun", gun.

While working out, I carry a 351c. Likewise, during the colder months the 351c gets dropped in the front pocket of a drug-rug, as a backup.

https://i.imgur.com/F2ZumtK.jpg

Dov
04-07-2020, 07:23 PM

+1 on the bigger pants for pocket carry similar to what many need for IWB

I've pocket carried up to 4" S&W 629, loaded with 44 Special/200 GDHP, casually for answering door when I lived at end of 1/4 mile driveway in the country. Though that wouldn't have been comfortable for more than hour or so.

And pocket carry pair of G26 normally because old injuries & health issues make any type of strongside concealment belt holster extremely painful (crippling back & intercostal spasms).

Dagga Boy
04-07-2020, 07:27 PM
Cargo shorts are also great, especially down here in SoFla where they're basically appropriate year round.

It goes without saying. Not the muscle mapping shorts, not your BJJ fight shorts, Dad shorts that are the equivalent of a ladies big purse. The ones with a place for everything....those kind of shorts.

Dagga Boy
04-07-2020, 07:40 PM
Here is a test if pocket carry is for you.
One is ideal for it, one isn’t. Dress accordingly.

wvincent
04-07-2020, 08:35 PM
Here is a test if pocket carry is for you.
One is ideal for it, one isn’t. Dress accordingly.

Never knew you smoked.;)

Lester Polfus
04-07-2020, 09:28 PM
Back in The Day, we called those "nuthuggers."

entropy
04-07-2020, 09:59 PM
Jesus Pete Dagga....what you tryin’ to do here?:cool:

awp_101
04-07-2020, 10:11 PM

So you're telling me it was one guy with six guns, and he was a senior frigging citizen? :D

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
04-07-2020, 11:01 PM
So you're telling me it was one guy with six guns, and he was a senior frigging citizen? :D

Seems most here don’t *really* know my long time amigo / training partner/ squad mate MP, oh the stories I could tell but first I need to get the eye bleach going after Dagga’s last pic, geebus brother that needed a warning first.

Dagga Boy
04-08-2020, 12:02 AM
Seems most here don’t *really* know my long time amigo / training partner/ squad mate MP, oh the stories I could tell but first I need to get the eye bleach going after Dagga’s last pic, geebus brother that needed a warning first.

Just trying to make a point about dressing for pocket carry. Sometimes my methods are harsh, but you will all thank me later.

Mike Pipes
04-08-2020, 07:00 AM

I be a super senior.......CYA

HoustonGP100
04-08-2020, 08:01 AM

Try a pair of these. Only thing I wear anymore and been wearing for years. Deep front pockets and durable. Hide J frames, LCR and SP101 without a problem.

jetfire
04-08-2020, 08:35 AM
It goes without saying. Not the muscle mapping shorts, not your BJJ fight shorts, Dad shorts that are the equivalent of a ladies big purse. The ones with a place for everything....those kind of shorts.

Hell yeah. I've got a med kit, my phone, wallet, pepper spray, two knives, a GP100 and a reload in my shorts. And plenty of room to carry whatever bullshit my wife can't fit in her shitty pockets.

paul105
04-08-2020, 09:00 AM
You guys brightened my morning -- still chuckling!

entropy
04-08-2020, 10:45 AM
“Moose knuckle carry”

03RN
04-10-2020, 07:51 AM
To many years of squatting and deadlifting precludes me from pocket carry even in my cargo shorts.

Dov
04-10-2020, 06:42 PM
To many years of squatting and deadlifting precludes me from pocket carry even in my cargo shorts.

You can get even bigger size shorts/pants and have seamstress or such alter the waist.

03RN
04-11-2020, 11:18 AM
You can get even bigger size shorts/pants and have seamstress or such alter the waist.

I can usually find pants that fit ok but anything that would allow me to get a fireing grip in a pocket would require mc hammer pants for me.

03RN
04-11-2020, 11:23 AM
I just realized ive got 4 reloads right now.:cool:

My normal compll in my front right pocket, speed strip in my back left and 2 speed strips in my shoulder holster.

awp_101
04-11-2020, 04:24 PM
I can usually find pants that fit ok but anything that would allow me to get a fireing grip in a pocket would require mc hammer pants for me.

You should continue looking for a pair that works for you. You're 2 legit 2 quit...

Dov
04-12-2020, 03:59 PM

Yep fashion aspect is real trade off.

One of my best buddies is a body builder and isn't willing to wear lose enough clothes to conceal even J frame so he settled on a small 380. But in his job he has to present certain type of appearance even though he is business owner.

For me my health issues & injuries preclude concealment belt holsters (trigger crippling spams) but I wanted something better than j frame so vast majority of the time I wear pants with enough room in the thighs & big enough pocket to pocket carry pair of G26's with the 12 round mags & just don't care about how I look.

With some pants I have to go down to the flush 10 round mags because pocket opening is to small for smooth draw with the 12 rounders, but the 12 rounders give me a full grip with significant improvement in control. Especially for one handed shooting, two handed shooting can make up for lot of problems with gun grip fit IME.

SCCY Marshal
04-14-2020, 11:11 AM
My round butt model 36 no-dash is long retired from carry duty but I picked up a set of Sile stocks to play with. So it's stuffed in a barely serviceable Galco Stow-N-Go leather AIWB gunsock to check concealability, comfort, and consistency of draw as I pad around the house. Though the LCR in my pocket is what I'm reaching for if Lumerian cultists (https://youtu.be/9gO1xLvw_BM) kick in the door.

https://i.imgur.com/9wZ3tdTl.jpg

This pattern has a reputation for lack of speedloader clearance. Despite that, they work better with my Ammo Pod and fine with an HKS.

revolvergeek
04-29-2020, 01:34 PM
I had recently found a local place to try Duluth fire hose pants, but then this pandemic shut-down happened.

The Duluth Firehose Cargo pants are awesome with many and deep pockets. My only real complaint would be 1) they can get hot in summer down here and 2) the darker colors will fade noticeably over time. They don't really stretch from wearing, so I normally find I like them one waist size larger than my other pants. The front pockets will fit a 3-4" medium frame revolver with compact grips, or a 2" medium frame with most any reasonable grips. The sorta work with 4" N Frames / Redhawks, but drawing quickly can be problematic. For me a DAO 2-3" k-frame is about the practical upper size limit for ease of access in the front pocket depending on grips and holster. I have an ugly but solid 4" S&W 12-3 that I am thinking of sending off to get the barrel chopped to 3" (really just because I think it would be cool) and then use it for pocket carry in these pants. I am also considering Semi-Fitzing an old 4" well used Official Police for that duty. It is NICE to have big front pockets.

The thigh pockets work great for most 2-3" revolvers and smallish autos up to say Glock 43 size. Weight becomes the main issue there. They will fit a Detonics Combat Master, but it ends up beating on the side of my knee. Autos much bigger than that may fit but print badly unless you have something in the pocket to break the outline of the holster.

I prefer a 2x2x2 belt pouch to a 'speed strip' myself and have several that were made by Lobo Gunleather for .32 mag, .38 and .44. I generally carry 2-3 speedloaders also, mostly a mix of Safariland Comp 3 (the go to first reload) and Comp 1s (extras for just in case).

Rick R
04-30-2020, 08:47 AM
I appreciate everyone’s input here. I started carrying a revolver but 35 years in semiauto centric LEO culture hadn’t left time to keep up with revolver tech.

I’m surprised that wadcutters are considered a carry load now, the amount of people using partially loaded speed strips and how popular J frame size snubbies are. I can’t argue with any of the above.

Thanks!

medic15al
05-01-2020, 07:47 PM
In 1991 thru 1997 I moonlighted armed security, and some posts mandated a revolver. A few required .38 spl revolver only, no 357s loaded with 38s.

When I carried my 357 M-19 I used 2 speedloaders (Safariland) on primary front of belt. These were usually Federal 125 grn 357s plus the revolver load with them. Behind the holster I had a double hinge drop pouch with 12 .38 Spl +P+ (Cor-Bon 115grn) in speed strips. I carried a Cobra 38 spl as a back up, and could also use them in the Model 19 if needed.

Naturally if I was on the 38 post the M-15 was loaded with 38 and the 2 front speedloaders were stuffed with 38s.

Looking back, being a 21 year old rookie paramedic AND a newlywed maybe wasn't the brightest idea I had.....

Totem Polar
05-09-2020, 07:36 PM
This.

Totem Polar
05-09-2020, 07:38 PM
As an aside, check out this retro-inspired trigger guard index: :D

Rick R
05-10-2020, 09:28 AM
As an aside, check out this retro-inspired trigger guard index: :D

Is there a story behind that cover?

Totem Polar
05-10-2020, 12:34 PM
Is there a story behind that cover?

No story beyond this: not many folks make *kydex* (not "index;" got bit by latent autocorrect again) for the new cobras. One place that does, Pitalo’s kydex, has an alarming number of non-standard color/pattern skews, including not one, but two version of "comic" print. The old detective special always seemed to feature prominently during the golden age of comics, so it seemed apropos.