PDA

View Full Version : HOLOSUN pistol optic on a rifle

theJanitor
03-24-2020, 03:45 PM
So, I'd like to put a RMR pattern holosun on my AR. I'm looking for durability first. Any recommendations on which model and lower 1/3 mount?

Elkhitman
03-24-2020, 04:54 PM
I put a 507c on my Glock. Same foot print as the RMR. I had an RMR before I got the 507c and it didn’t work with my astigmatism. I’ve had zero issues with the holosun. You can find used Scalar works lower 1/3 mounts for $75. You can find the 507c for $215 brand new since the new V2 is coming out. Also give the 508T a look, same as the 507 with a titanium housing. Give this video a look.

https://youtu.be/JuOyq90oa-Q

theJanitor
03-24-2020, 05:12 PM
Another option for me is to put the RM06 on my G17 on the rifle, and the holosun goes on the pistol

HCM
03-24-2020, 05:18 PM
I have one of the dot only 407 models in a 9mm AR via Trijicons excellent carry handle mount. No issues so far.

STI
03-24-2020, 05:24 PM
Holosun 508T (titanium) on T.REX offset mount (https://www.trex-arms.com/store/T-REX-Offset-Mount/). Same cowitness height as 1.57 optic mounts, and it comes with a little spacer if you want it to echo 1.93 mount height. It’s tucked up as tight as can be to a LPVO. It’s one piece, not screwed together out of multiple pieces of aluminum like some of the other choices. I highly recommend. (Just realized you’re probably not wanting 45 but here goes anyway)

Elkhitman
03-24-2020, 06:04 PM
Here’s a mount FS on Tacswap.

rob_s
03-24-2020, 06:08 PM
I’m very interested in this. While I prefer 30mm optics I have a new AK en route and I’m thinking the smaller the optic the lower the dot, which seems like a good idea to me...

StraitR
03-24-2020, 06:13 PM
I have a spare RMR02, and considered putting it on a recently acquired DD PDW, but I had the same RMR02 on a spare carbine for about two years and disliked the noticeable distortion (and tint) of the RMR glass. I tolerate it on handguns because the glass distortion/tint are less distracting at closer distances, and I believe it's still the best pistol red dot option, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a carbine.

Really interested to hear if the Holosun 507c is different in glass quality/tint as it would apply to shooting at distance with a carbine.

Drifting Fate
03-24-2020, 06:27 PM
Chiming in as another person who's been thinking of a small Holosun on an AK... I know, I know, it's damned near stereotypical, but I'm not cheap (just dumb according to my wife) as it's a Rifle Dynamics AK-74 with an Ultimak mount. So, heat will be an issue, but this is really a, "because I wanted it gun" and not one for playing King of the Hill after the world ends. Can I get away with Holosun prices or do I need to man up and buy an Aimpoint?

HCM
03-24-2020, 06:46 PM
I have a spare RMR02, and considered putting it on a recently acquired DD PDW, but I had the same RMR02 on a spare carbine for about two years and disliked the noticeable distortion (and tint) of the RMR glass. I tolerate it on handguns because the glass distortion/tint are less distracting at closer distances, and I believe it's still the best pistol red dot option, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a carbine.

Really interested to hear if the Holosun 507c is different in glass quality/tint as it would apply to shooting at distance with a carbine.

The Holosun looks better and has a slightly larger / clearer window than the RMR.

The 500 series Holosuns also have the option of a circle dot reticle.

rob_s
03-24-2020, 06:59 PM
The 500 series Holosuns also have the option of a circle dot reticle.

I don’t know why, but for some reason I have it in my head that this would be a old thing on an AK.

What’s weird is I really have no reason for thinking that, and other than some time spent with an EoTech on a pre-production BCM 14.5” mid length, I haven’t even really used that style of reticule much. It’s pretty much all been single dot optics for me.

HCM
03-24-2020, 07:14 PM
I don’t know why, but for some reason I have it in my head that this would be a old thing on an AK.

What’s weird is I really have no reason for thinking that, and other than some time spent with an EoTech on a pre-production BCM 14.5” mid length, I haven’t even really used that style of reticule much. It’s pretty much all been single dot optics for me.

I like the circle dot reticule in the Holosun/SIG Micro knock offs better than the EOtechs.

I will likely get a 507/508 to mess with soon.

ranger
03-24-2020, 07:44 PM
I have a riser mount in bound for a Leupold DPP to try on an AR Carbine.

entropy
03-24-2020, 08:18 PM
Not an AR, but have a Holosun 507c on my 7.62 Krink. Close to 1K through it so far. No issues. Easy to zero. No bloom issue with my astigmatism (YMMV) as compared to an Aimpoint or other dot type sights. It’s very quick on target and the circle/dot reticle is perfect for my needs.

Elkhitman
03-24-2020, 08:55 PM
Here is a picture of the 507c on my PC 9 carbine.

Rick R
03-25-2020, 12:54 PM
I was using a Vortex Venom on a Samson mount on my 3 gun AR15 and then moved it to an AR pistol. I like the small RDS format much better than a tube scope but worry about environmental issues on a “for real” use gun.

IMHO The Holosun 507c I have on my G19 is a much better sight than the Venom or my previous full sized Eotech and I wouldn’t worry about using one if I could cobble up a decent Cheeto cover to use in inclement weather.

This is the RMR version of the mount I have, it stayed zeroed and reliability returned to zero.

https://www.samson-mfg.com/quick-release-micro-reflex-mount-rmr-hole-pattern.html

theJanitor
03-25-2020, 12:59 PM
I have one of the dot only 407 models in a 9mm AR via Trijicons excellent carry handle mount. No issues so far.

Can you direct me to the mount you're using? and if you have a pic of the rifle, I'd appreciate it!

HCM
03-25-2020, 01:07 PM
Can you direct me to the mount you're using? and if you have a pic of the rifle, I'd appreciate it!

Here’s the mount. Rifle pic may take a day or two.

https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/ac32060

Here is a generic pic of the mount on a 556 AR.

theJanitor
03-25-2020, 01:51 PM
Here’s the mount. Rifle pic may take a day or two.

https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/ac32060

Here is a generic pic of the mount on a 556 AR.

Thanks,

I don't need a pic of your rifle, if the setup is similar. I assume you can see the irons through the mount

HCM
03-25-2020, 05:06 PM
Thanks,

I don't need a pic of your rifle, if the setup is similar. I assume you can see the irons through the mount

Not optimal but you can.

littlejerry
03-26-2020, 09:54 AM

I didn't realize that mount existed. Got any pics? I've got an A2 receiver that I might experiment with...

HCM
03-26-2020, 10:58 AM
I didn't realize that mount existed. Got any pics? I've got an A2 receiver that I might experiment with...

See post 18.

littlejerry
03-26-2020, 04:27 PM
See post 18.

D'oh! Somehow I missed that on my phone.

mrozowjj
03-29-2020, 10:01 PM
I actually put a 507c on a Tavor recently but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. It was a left over that I pulled from something else so I figured why not. I like that it's light weight because the gun is already a bit heavier than an AR.

Thinking about putting a magnifier behind it to be honest because why not... even if that does seem counter to my earlier statement about the weight the pistol red dot with a magnifier is lighter weight than anything that isn't an ACOG.