PDA

View Full Version : American woman rescued overseas in secretive military op

LittleLebowski
03-23-2020, 07:19 AM
And that's about all we know now.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/03/22/american-woman-rescued-secretive-military-op-trump-says.html?ESRC=eb_200323.nl

Gearqueer
03-23-2020, 09:41 AM
I’d normally chastise the media for reporting a story with zero detail, but in this case I’m wondering why it was even worth mentioning by my president if no detail can be given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blues
03-23-2020, 09:49 AM
I’d normally chastise the media for reporting a story with zero detail, but in this case I’m wondering why it was even worth mentioning by my president if no detail can be given.

You wouldn't expect him to pass up an opportunity for self-praise would you?

Even so, it sounds like someone's life was made better, and in the end that will be worth his moment of vanity if it proves to be the case.

Wake27
03-23-2020, 09:50 AM

Because he wants the American public to recognize that our special operations forces are very much still in harms way and protecting American people, regardless of whether the public needs to know details or not.

LittleLebowski
03-23-2020, 10:09 AM

Could be worse.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jun/7/the-betrayal-of-the-navys-seal-team-6/

UNK
03-23-2020, 10:31 AM

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/03/22/american-woman-rescued-secretive-military-op-trump-says.html?ESRC=eb_200323.nl

Undoubtedly brass balls required

Grey
03-23-2020, 10:35 AM

And that is all the American public really needs to know about this op. Kudos to our men and women still projecting American power overseas.

Totem Polar
03-23-2020, 10:41 AM
"Gen. Milley does not play games."

All the detail most people (and countries) need, right there.

RevolverRob
03-23-2020, 11:00 AM
A little more matter-of-fact speaking would be ideal, but otherwise I'm okay with precisely this level of information sharing from POTUS. In effect he said in his Trumpian way:

Special Operations Personnel rescued a female U.S. Citizen, who was being held captive by a terrorist group, and returned her safely to her family. I thank General Milley of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who made sure this operation was a success. This is a reminder that we will do everything in our power to protect U.S. Citizens and eliminate the terrorists who threaten them.

Totem Polar
03-23-2020, 11:24 AM
Dude! You just invented the Trumpulator™️!

Feed his bullshit in, get the underlying facts and accomplishments out. I hope you make millions, brother!
;)

Grey
03-23-2020, 11:25 AM

Feed his bullshit in, get the underlying facts and accomplishments out. I hope you make millions, brother!
;)

He has to buy everyone on the board an Alchemy though...

Gearqueer
03-23-2020, 11:38 AM
Deleted: answered in post #9

Wake27
03-23-2020, 11:58 AM
Hostage? Prisoner? Sex-trafficking victim? Johnny Depp’s girlfriend? Any female in sharia-law country?

If none of these things are specified I wonder why it’s even announced.

Edit: I now see the second article mentions she was being held by terrorists.

Why does it even matter? It was a military operation that rescued an American citizen from hostile foreigners. It wasn't a law enforcement operation against American citizens so the general public's need to know is substantially less.

Le Français
03-23-2020, 12:23 PM
The secretary of defense just stated that the person in question was a young woman who had been the victim of a crime in Honduras.

Gearqueer
03-23-2020, 12:33 PM
Why does it even matter? It was a military operation that rescued an American citizen from hostile foreigners. It wasn't a law enforcement operation against American citizens so the general public's need to know is substantially less.

Military operations in foreign countries are generally worth mentioning to the public. Unless they are secret, and then it that case,... they are secret. All I’m saying is that he seems to have jumped the gun a little before his team determined what the press release was going to disclose. I’m not a Trump basher so I don’t really want to get into it, just wish we still had general Mattis around.

Duces Tecum
03-23-2020, 01:14 PM
You wouldn't expect him to pass up an opportunity for self-praise would you?

For perspective, Obama references himself 467 times in one 90 minute town hall.
https://apnews.com/fae0fd059feb5db82d56cca8e0bbdda3

Wake27
03-23-2020, 01:14 PM
Military operations in foreign countries are generally worth mentioning to the public. Unless they are secret, and then it that case,... they are secret. All I’m saying is that he seems to have jumped the gun a little before his team determined what the press release was going to disclose. I’m not a Trump basher so I don’t really want to get into it, just wish we still had general Mattis around.

Yeah Mattis was the man, but to be fair to POTUS though, mentioning it is exactly what he did.

RevolverRob
03-23-2020, 01:24 PM

;)

Dude, they could hire me to be a speech writer and I'd do a way better job than whomever is doing the writing these days, they suck. I guess no one really got the memo that you write a speech that simultaneously appeals to the public and blends with the oratory skill/talent of the speaker.

It's like saying anyone could give the Gettysburg Address - there is no way any president since Eisenhower could give the Gettysburg Address and it be taken seriously. Not even the great conservative hope, Ronald Reagan could come close. Because it's not a speech written by or for them.

Anyways, I sometimes feel that POTUS' current speech writers are too afraid of him and simultaneously too plain and not plain enough. Trump has an informal way of speaking and if you see him speak off-the-cuff when his heart is in it, it's actually quite good. What folks need to do is dial back the eight dollar words and choose punctuation and pauses that emphasize his informal approach - and then they need to sit and talk with him - every day - to figure out what key words/tones/inflections/ideas make him passionate. Then you can hack Trump inside-out with speech writing, by purposefully choosing words, thoughts, and phrases that ignite his passion, intentionally but sub-consciously, making his speeches more endearing and less bland.

Grey
03-23-2020, 01:31 PM
Dude, they could hire me to be a speech writer and I'd do a way better job than whomever is doing the writing these days, they suck. I guess no one really got the memo that you write a speech that simultaneously appeals to the public and blends with the oratory skill/talent of the speaker.

It's like saying anyone could give the Gettysburg Address - there is no way any president since Eisenhower could give the Gettysburg Address and it be taken seriously. Not even the great conservative hope, Ronald Reagan could come close. Because it's not a speech written by or for them.

Anyways, I sometimes feel that POTUS' current speech writers are too afraid of him and simultaneously too plain and not plain enough. Trump has an informal way of speaking and if you see him speak off-the-cuff when his heart is in it, it's actually quite good. What folks need to do is dial back the eight dollar words and choose punctuation and pauses that emphasize his informal approach - and then they need to sit and talk with him - every day - to figure out what key words/tones/inflections/ideas make him passionate. Then you can hack Trump inside-out with speech writing, by purposefully choosing words, thoughts, and phrases that ignite his passion, intentionally but sub-consciously, making his speeches more endearing and less bland.

Dude... Don't insult Jared and Stephen!

blues
03-23-2020, 01:51 PM
For perspective, Obama references himself 467 times in one 90 minute town hall.
https://apnews.com/fae0fd059feb5db82d56cca8e0bbdda3

Good to know that I had a valid reason for not caring for his administration.

I gotta admit, saying "me" or "I" more than once every 12 seconds sounds like some kind of land speed record.

LittleLebowski
03-23-2020, 02:23 PM

I gotta admit, saying "me" or "I" more than once every 12 seconds sounds like some kind of land speed record.

Obama was really good at saying “uhh” as well

Duelist
03-23-2020, 02:27 PM

Why don’t you apply for *that* job?

RevolverRob
03-23-2020, 02:42 PM
Why don’t you apply for *that* job?

I don't like politicians?

Honestly, I've never seen, "Wanted: Presidential Speech Writer" advertised.

Hambo
03-23-2020, 02:52 PM
Because he wants the American public to recognize that our special operations forces are very much still in harms way and protecting American people, regardless of whether the public needs to know details or not.

I don't think the public needs to know anything about what special operations units are doing.

JRB
03-23-2020, 03:35 PM
I don't think the public needs to know anything about what special operations units are doing.

I think the public should know about the wins like this.

It also means the bad guys know about it, and I rather like it when our good news makes them even a little bit more nervous.

Wake27
03-23-2020, 06:44 PM
I think the public should know about the wins like this.

It also means the bad guys know about it, and I rather like it when our good news makes them even a little bit more nervous.

Agreed. POTUS saying that we killed some bad guys (hopefully) and rescued an American in harm's way won't violate any OPSEC principles. I'd even be up for him announcing which branch took point but that's just because I'm biased.

Spartan1980
03-23-2020, 10:07 PM
Obama was really good at saying “uhh” as well

He learned it from Gee Dubbya. Only he took it to new heights. One thing I love about Trump, is when talking to the media he absolutely does not give even a hint of a shit. Dubbya and Obama were some word parsing mofos. Trump? He just says it with no regrets.

Baldanders
03-23-2020, 10:20 PM
He learned it from Gee Dubbya. Only he took it to new heights. One thing I love about Trump, is when talking to the media he absolutely does not give even a hint of a shit. Dubbya and Obama were some word parsing mofos. Trump? He just says it with no regrets.

You mean things like "the corona virus is a DNC conspiracy against me!"

and "I recognized it as an epidemic before everyone else!" 1 month later.

Yeah, 'ol "fire n' forget" says whatever comes into his head, with zero regrets.

If it causes panic, he just says something completely different later. Acknowledging error is for the weak.

"We have always been at war with Eastasia!"

NEPAKevin
03-24-2020, 04:18 PM

When Obama first got elected, there was hope, but then he changed.

blues
03-24-2020, 04:21 PM
When Obama first got elected, there was hope, but then he changed.

I think "hope" was Clinton's thing. Obama was "change we could believe in". :rolleyes:

Alrighty then!

HCM
03-27-2020, 01:23 PM
Some additional facts instead of the Bullshit Blooviating

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/03/23/secdef-offers-sparse-details-american-woman-recovered-secretive-military-op.html?fbclid=IwAR3nvP40kVwEcY1Vo0nYE9Wxb2-kJxigTG6R8grwR7mvib2XcnZwuXS1ptY

SecDef Offers Sparse Details on American Woman Recovered in Secretive Military Op

The U.S. military conducted an operation to bring home an American woman who had been the victim of a violent crime in Honduras, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Monday.

Esper was deliberately vague on the details, but said, "We had a young lady, a young American, who was the victim of a violent crime in Honduras, I believe. She has been returned to the United States."

He did not say when or how the woman was brought out safely from Honduras, which has closed its borders during the novel coronavirus pandemic.

"Out of respect for her and her family, for her privacy, we'll just leave it at that," Esper added at a Pentagon briefing.

He noted that the military last Friday flew home an American women's tackle football team, which had been in Honduras for a competition that was canceled because of the coronavirus threat.

HCM
03-27-2020, 01:27 PM
You mean things like "the corona virus is a DNC conspiracy against me!"

and "I recognized it as an epidemic before everyone else!" 1 month later.

Yeah, 'ol "fire n' forget" says whatever comes into his head, with zero regrets.

If it causes panic, he just says something completely different later. Acknowledging error is for the weak.

"We have always been at war with Eastasia!"

Trump is all kinds of fucked up but he keep’in it real tho... one thing I like about Trump is he says it like it is and he does not give a fuck what people think of it.

Love it or hate it this IS the real DJ Trump....what you see is what you get.

blues
03-27-2020, 01:33 PM
Trump is all kinds of fucked up but he keep’in it real tho... one thing I like about Trump is he says it like it is and he does not give a fuck what people think of it.

The problem is he doesn't tell it like it is. He tells it like he feels like it at that moment.

You know things like: It's not going to be a problem here. I always knew it was going to be a pandemic. Dealing with this I'm like a wartime president. We should be good to go back to work right around Easter. The malaria medication is proving very viable on this virus...

Not telling it like it is. Spinning b.s. as he goes along.

Not good enough. Not by a long shot.

If you and I conducted our work for the federal gov't and before the courts in that manner...we'd be tarnished forever and indicted.

El Cid
03-27-2020, 01:40 PM
The problem is he doesn't tell it like it is. He tells it like he feels like it at that moment.

You know things like: It's not going to be a problem here. I always knew it was going to be a pandemic. Dealing with this I'm like a wartime president. We should be good to go back to work right around Easter. The malaria medication is proving very viable on this virus...

If you and I conducted our work for the federal gov't and before the courts in that manner...we'd be tarnished forever and indicted.

The problem is he’s our best and only option - which is sad. Nobody the Democrats have put forward since JFK is worth a damn. I have never been able to vote for someone I truly wanted as POTUS. It’s been the lesser of two evils for decades.

blues
03-27-2020, 01:47 PM
The problem is he’s our best and only option - which is sad. Nobody the Democrats have put forward since JFK is worth a damn. I have never been able to vote for someone I truly wanted as POTUS. It’s been the lesser of two evils for decades.

Brother, I hear you. But comparing him to a sack of crap does little to alleviate the situation. I'm not giving anyone a pass because someone else was a scumbag.

I don't think any judge I ever testified before would let me get away with saying that I was better than most other agents who ever presented a case in his court.

Why should the man holding the highest office in the land not have the basic integrity we ask of our LEOs and civil servants?

Baldanders
03-28-2020, 12:02 PM

Oh yes, it's honest.

Unfortunately, lying....er "creative phrasing of the truth" is a vital tool of statecraft/leadership.

Was fear the only thing we had to fear in WWII as a nation? No, but it was a the right statement at the right time.

"Providing calm" doesn't seem to be in Trump's playbook. It isn't a necessary skill for sales, unfortunately, so Trump never had to develop it.

Wake27
03-28-2020, 01:00 PM

I’d still rather him tell it like he feels in the moment than only say things that have been revised so many times by his staffers that he ends up not actually saying anything.

At least we know what he’s thinking, which is far more than most politicians.

HCM
03-28-2020, 01:29 PM
Oh yes, it's honest.

Unfortunately, lying....er "creative phrasing of the truth" is a vital tool of statecraft/leadership.

Was fear the only thing we had to fear in WWII as a nation? No, but it was a the right statement at the right time.

"Providing calm" doesn't seem to be in Trump's playbook. It isn't a necessary skill for sales, unfortunately, so Trump never had to develop it.

In another thread, you described him as an amoral fool. I disagree, I see him as an amoral opportunist.

This is not at all ideal but it’s the least bad option available.

Totem Polar
03-28-2020, 03:32 PM
This is not at all ideal but it’s the least bad option available.

Once again, the BLUF.

Rosco Benson
03-29-2020, 10:06 AM
Trump has yet to do anything that makes me wish Hillary had won.

Likewise, he yet to do anything that makes me think Biden, Cuomo, Sanders, or the rest of these socialist scumbags would be better.

Rosco