PDA

View Full Version : M&P Maintenance

Bratch
03-15-2011, 08:10 PM
What are the recommended maintenance intervals for the M&P series? I'm over 5000 on one of mine and had saw else where that there were several parts to replace at this point.

JV_
03-15-2011, 08:12 PM
I replace the recoil spring at 5K intervals.

After a few breakages, I've started replacing the APEX DCAEK trigger spring at 5K too.

Bratch
03-15-2011, 10:51 PM
After a few breakages, I've started replacing the APEX DCAEK trigger spring at 5K too.

Are you seeing the APEX spring, the factory spring, or both breaking? I'm still factory except for the sights.

Kyle Reese
03-15-2011, 11:01 PM
JV & myself have broken Apex trigger springs at varying intervals in our 9mm M&P's. Swapping the recoil spring assy and triggers springs at the 5k mark is cheap insurance.

BWT
03-15-2011, 11:12 PM
How often do you guys replace the Firing Pin spring? (As a side note, I haven't detail stripped an M&P, can you replace just the firing pin, or do you need to replace the whole assembly?)

Just noticed it wasn't mentioned.

I'd think that you'd replace all the springs every 5-10k.

I replace my recoil spring every 1,000-2,000 in my 1911 (I'm starting to think more and more that I've been wasting my time), I figured I'll replace the MSH spring at about 5k, and Firing pin spring at that point as well.

JV_
03-16-2011, 05:11 AM
How often do you guys replace the Firing Pin spring?I haven't, yet. I may do it at 15K with the sear spring. I don't have any good data points on when it's necessary, except my (and German's) lack of issues with it.

You can just replace the spring.

BWT
03-16-2011, 09:58 PM
I haven't, yet. I may do it at 15K with the sear spring. I don't have any good data points on when it's necessary, except my (and German's) lack of issues with it.

You can just replace the spring.

Gotcha, thanks.

Bratch
03-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Will a M&P run if shooting from reset with a broken trigger spring the way a Glock will?

JV_
03-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Will a M&P run if shooting from reset with a broken trigger spring the way a Glock will?If you have an Apex RAM.

Bill Lance
06-02-2011, 10:45 AM
I e-mailed SW from the web site asking spring change intervals, and where they would recommend sending the gun for said maintenance----back to SW or from a list of approved armorers.

I finally received an e-mail that said all I would ever !!! ever need is maybe a recoil spring.

Cool, says I. What a durable pistol!!!:rolleyes:

JV_
06-02-2011, 10:52 AM
S&W told me that if the recoil spring has a coil or two go limp, and the spring won't stay installed when you put the slide on the frame, just assemble the gun up-side-down and it'll work.

Um ... no thanks.

Bill Lance
06-02-2011, 10:59 AM
I wonder if it really is armorers that answer the e-mails.

Haven't called to talk with anyone there yet. I am new to the M&P, and have two pistols, so the round count is not piling up real fast on either. Eventually, I will call and hope to get a knowledgeable person on the phone.

bdcheung
06-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Necro-posting, but I had a few follow-up questions and the information in this thread has good shelf life so why start another.

When we say "5,000 rounds" are we talking 5,000 trigger presses, or 5,000 rounds fired?

Is there a way to be more specific about which parts to replace at separate "Trigger Pulls" and "Rounds Fired" intervals?

My thinking is that things like the:

Trigger return spring
Striker spring
Sear plunger spring
Striker block spring

Should be replaced at "X Trigger Pulls"

But the recoil spring, which doesn't absorb much energy during dry-fire, could wait until 5,000 rounds fired.

Am I off the mark with this?

KeeFus
06-19-2012, 10:12 AM
M&P 9 maintenance schedule I received in my armorers course says @ 5000 replace coil pins, replace mag spring & follower (that 5000 rounds per magazine or one year continuously loaded), and to replace slide stop. The recoil spring assembly is suggested to be replaced @ 7500. Then @ 10,000 rounds replace slide stop and the trigger bar assembly.

KeeFus
06-19-2012, 10:19 AM
My thinking is that things like the:

Trigger return spring
Striker spring
Sear plunger spring
Striker block spring

-Trigger return spring isnt noted on my list but I'd probably be changing it out @ 5000
-Striker spring assembly: 20000 (or 3000 dry cycles for part # 391860000...reading on into it it shows a part # of 393790000 being replaced @ 30,000)
-Replace striker block, spring, & spacer: 25,000
-replace sear housing block: 40,000

bdcheung
06-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the great info...but are the round counts given for "trigger presses" or actual rounds fired? That's where my concern is. My ratio of dry:live fire is about 2:1, meaning I've got twice as many dry trigger presses as live rounds fired.

Dry firing stress some components, but not others.

So how does that affect the maintenance schedule?

KeeFus
06-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the great info...but are the round counts given for "trigger presses" or actual rounds fired? That's where my concern is. My ratio of dry:live fire is about 2:1, meaning I've got twice as many dry trigger presses as live rounds fired.

Dry firing stress some components, but not others.

So how does that affect the maintenance schedule?

Dry cycles = trigger presses in my book. It mentions the trigger sping @ 10,000 rounds along with replacing the trigger bar. It says to "inspect sear, striker, barrel, recoil spring, slide stop, trigger bar, magazine catch, and slide and frame components for excessive wear" as well as "check lower trigger for proper function" and to "check slide lock with magazine for open lock engagement" after 300 rounds...then again at 2500, then at intervals of 2500 along with the other items listed.

This schedule is for normal practice and daily use service.

bdcheung
06-19-2012, 12:47 PM
It mentions the trigger sping @ 10,000 rounds along with replacing the trigger bar.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I promise :P

But when the manual says "10,000 rounds" does that mean I should replace the trigger spring at 10,000 rounds fired, or 10,000 trigger presses (which includes live rounds AND dry fires)?

MEH
06-19-2012, 01:48 PM
You're over thinking it. Count the actual rounds and be done with it. If it breaks before then, adjust for your specific circumstances and replace sooner next time.

The only thing that's ever broken in my M&P's is an Apex trigger return spring. Replace those every 2000 rounds. :)

bdcheung
06-19-2012, 01:51 PM
You're over thinking it.

I've been told this before. Thanks for the reality check :)

ToddG
06-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Manufacturer maintenance schedules do not envision extensive dry fire. Any serious dry fire should be considered when deciding what parts to swap and when.