PDA

View Full Version : WTF???

tankpondman
03-21-2020, 09:30 PM
Most 9mm loaded ammo @ around $400/1000. ( @ gun broker )
Saw 1000 rds just now going for over $550 with an hour to go.

Just crazy.didn't see coming.

:confused:

Joe in PNG
03-21-2020, 09:38 PM

Nothing new- not dissimilar to what happened post Sandy Hook.

Sauer Koch
03-22-2020, 02:14 AM
It’s interesting how 9mm FMJ vanished quickly, but you can still find Duty/HD rounds.

olstyn
03-22-2020, 07:44 AM
It’s interesting how 9mm FMJ vanished quickly, but you can still find Duty/HD rounds.

You would think it would be the opposite of that, yeah. Probably it's due to a bunch of new people panic buying guns and not knowing what the correct choice is in terms of defensive use ammo. They might also be trying to minimize the "extra" expenses that go on top of their unexpected new purchase.

03RN
03-22-2020, 08:47 AM
If you dont have all you need to ride out a dry spell, you haven't been paying attention. Happens every few years

Grey
03-22-2020, 09:13 AM
It's seriously tempting to go sell some 9MM...

snow white
03-22-2020, 09:35 AM
The NH armslist is a shit show right now. Some knob trying to sell 1k tula steel cased 5.56 for $600. That's just off the top of my head. It's a shitshow

BigD
03-22-2020, 10:16 AM

How is this a surprise? You have lines outside of gunshops in CA. You got the more paranoid fringe thinking this is TEOTWAWKI or that it's a hoax/excuse for the Federal Gov to declare martial law and confiscate your weapons.

Of course people are going to be being ammo in greater quantities.

Then have the folks whining "It's not fair. I want to panic buy, but some guys beat me to it and now the prices are high! "

This "gouging" serves a purpose. If you really need ammo, it's available. If you just decided now is a time to increase your supply and are shocked the prices are higher, then you will not purchase and leave ammo available for those that think they need it more." If prices had stayed at their levels of 2 weeks ago, there would be none available right now.

ranger
03-22-2020, 10:20 AM
As stated above, happens regularly. Another reason to reload for your practice ammo.

I am looking at the safe at what I really do not need and may sell.

Sauer Koch
03-22-2020, 12:24 PM
About three weeks ago, I got 5K-FMJ & 1K HST...

SO GLAD I did...

Target Sports USA still has some 9mm HST @ $40 per 50rounds

Hambo
03-22-2020, 01:39 PM
It would have started soon even without Corona. Pre-election freakout is a thing now.

JAH 3rd
03-22-2020, 02:02 PM
As witnessed by the run on toilet paper, the cheap stuff goes first, then the expensive stuff is left. It's what I call the Charmin Syndrome.....it was still on the shelf when the cheap paper was long gone. Now it's gone too.

When it comes to ammo, most people have a budget ( as do I ). But I have blown that budget a few times in my life when I can justify.....er.....rationalize it. I can shoot myself a line and I believe it too.

So if I have "X" number of dollars to spend, I want to buy as much ammo as I can with those dollars. Thus the fmj is purchased first. If it's fmj or nothing, give me fmj. For defense ammo, I usually buy the same amount that I use in order to keep the inventory at a full level.

Sauer Koch
03-22-2020, 02:19 PM
It would have started soon even without Corona. Pre-election freakout is a thing now.

Yeah, this was my reasoning for buying when I did. If the supply levels comes back before the election, at decent prices, I may grab another 1K of ball.

Nephrology
03-22-2020, 02:29 PM
I think all this is going to collapse soon. Given the number of people about to be out of work, demand at these prices will eventually collapse. Playing apocalpyse is cool but the reality is that in addition to potential medical consequences we face as individuals, the single greatest impact this will have on the majority of us will be financial. If it's not happening already, it will happen soon.

Sauer Koch
03-22-2020, 02:34 PM
As witnessed by the run on toilet paper, the cheap stuff goes first, then the expensive stuff is left. It's what I call the Charmin Syndrome.....it was still on the shelf when the cheap paper was long gone. Now it's gone too.

When it comes to ammo, most people have a budget ( as do I ). But I have blown that budget a few times in my life when I can justify.....er.....rationalize it. I can shoot myself a line and I believe it too.

So if I have "X" number of dollars to spend, I want to buy as much ammo as I can with those dollars. Thus the fmj is purchased first. If it's fmj or nothing, give me fmj. For defense ammo, I usually buy the same amount that I use in order to keep the inventory at a full level.

Funny you mentioned the Charmin Syndrome...i noticed it Thursday before last, and thought it was odd, but it makes sense. About the ammo, someone in the Ammo section said he thought the rush on FMJ was partly due to all of the 'panic/first time buyers' simply being ignorant to what a particular type of bullet is designed for, and simply bought what was cheapest, which is probably true.

Buying your first gun (willingly), and knowing nothing about it, then going through the steps to become competent, is one thing, but there is nothing worse than the formerly-anti-gun-people, rushing out in haste to buy a gun, is quite a scary scenario!! As Pat Mac says...'just because you have a gun in your hand, doesn't mean you're armed"...

Joe Mac
03-22-2020, 04:04 PM
If you dont have all you need to ride out a dry spell, you haven't been paying attention. Happens every few years

As always, I'm good with ammo. Yesterday I made a trade of buckshot for toilet paper...seriously.

snow white
03-22-2020, 04:19 PM
50416 this one made me double take..then laugh. Sorry for the slight thread drift but I had to share.

Duelist
03-22-2020, 04:21 PM
50416 this one made me double take..then laugh. Sorry for the slight thread drift but I had to share.

That’s the only way/time he may be able to get his time and money out of that thing. Sheesh.

Mitch
03-22-2020, 04:32 PM
I think all this is going to collapse soon. Given the number of people about to be out of work, demand at these prices will eventually collapse. Playing apocalpyse is cool but the reality is that in addition to potential medical consequences we face as individuals, the single greatest impact this will have on the majority of us will be financial. If it's not happening already, it will happen soon.

Yeah I don’t think we’ll have to wait out the gun/ammo shortage all that long. My wife is in recruiting and her hours just got cut. A couple friends of mine have been laid off along with their spouses too. I feel awful for them. If this shut down lasts for more than a couple weeks, it’s going to be bad for a lot of people. I’m glad I’m sitting pretty on guns and ammo and my job is secure. Hope everyone makes it through this okay.

As always, I'm good with ammo. Yesterday I made a trade of buckshot for toilet paper...seriously.

That’s fantastic.

Nephrology
03-22-2020, 04:45 PM
Yeah I don’t think we’ll have to wait out the gun/ammo shortage all that long. My wife is in recruiting and her hours just got cut. A couple friends of mine have been laid off along with their spouses too. I feel awful for them. If this shut down lasts for more than a couple weeks, it’s going to be bad for a lot of people. I’m glad I’m sitting pretty on guns and ammo and my job is secure. Hope everyone makes it through this okay.

That’s fantastic.

Yeah I have tons of guns and ammo, though willing to sell if need be. My paycheck is guaranteed but I may be soon covering all the bills for my GF whose employment is a lot less guaranteed. Bracing for impact.

Hambo
03-22-2020, 05:21 PM
I think all this is going to collapse soon. Given the number of people about to be out of work, demand at these prices will eventually collapse.

Given that a large number of people have no financial reserve, I think you're right.

Nephrology
03-22-2020, 05:47 PM
Given that a large number of people have no financial reserve, I think you're right.

It's an enormous chunk of the nation, my generation in particular (millenial). Between student loans and climbing home I am lucky in that my paycheck is bulletproof but as I've mentioned elsewhere my girlfriend's employment is not. I can shoulder our bills solo if need be but it will be extremely uncomfortable. I have enough savings for a couple months, but not really longer than that.

ranger
03-22-2020, 07:04 PM
I have seen this multiple times. I am still loading primers I bought before the AWB. Just like every other time - there will be a bunch of cheap guns for sale soon as 1) the crisis passes and 2) people need money.

CCT125US
03-22-2020, 07:19 PM
I have seen this multiple times. I am still loading primers I bought before the AWB. Just like every other time - there will be a bunch of cheap guns for sale soon as 1) the crisis passes and 2) people need money.

True. I believe I have posted this elsewhere, but this is about the 6th apocalypse I lived through. Never seen things like this before, but it too shall pass. There will be opportunity on the other side.

Darth_Uno
03-22-2020, 11:00 PM
It's an enormous chunk of the nation, my generation in particular (millenial). Between student loans and climbing home I am lucky in that my paycheck is bulletproof but as I've mentioned elsewhere my girlfriend's employment is not. I can shoulder our bills solo if need be but it will be extremely uncomfortable. I have enough savings for a couple months, but not really longer than that.

Just yesterday I had a customer back out of buying one of my homes. As she explained it, they can currently live off her husband’s income but she may potentially miss up to 3 months of pay now, which puts the home out of reach. Sucks for me, but I can always sell to someone else...eventually. Sucks worse for her, because that’s 3 months pay you just don’t get.

SD
03-23-2020, 10:30 AM
[ATTACH=CONFIG]50461[/ATTACH for those that get overwhelmed when many are available choices....problem solved.

revchuck38
03-23-2020, 11:26 AM
Here's (https://ammo.com/coronavirus-impact-on-ammunition-sales) an article from an online ammo sales company about their experience.

Medusa
03-23-2020, 01:49 PM
Prvi Partizan 556 at 367.54 / 1000 ....tough to swallow when I nabbed AE 223 at 100 bucks less.

glad I have the SIRT laser AR bolt coming for dry fire.

Kanye Wyoming
03-23-2020, 02:05 PM
Looks like some 9mm at Bass Pro (for now at least).

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/blazer-brass-handgun-ammo?irclickid=RIwxaX3YKxyOTSr0MKVSfWfHUknS41wiS2Z j2o0&irgwc=1&hvarAID=impact&source=aff

Greg
03-23-2020, 02:09 PM
I read that Cheaper Than Dirt was back to their scalping tricks but when I looked at the site a minute ago, AR PMAGS were 20 bucks each and all 5.56 and 9mm Ammo was sold out.
I'm guessing it was new shooters that cleaned them out. Why people would willingly support a company that shafts shooters at the first hint of a panic is a mystery to me.

Kanye Wyoming
03-23-2020, 04:12 PM
A little spendy ($25 for 9mm Fiocchi FMJ), but available.

https://www.k-var.com/ammunition?specs=f_caliber:9mm!!4180!!

5pins
03-23-2020, 05:57 PM
I read that Cheaper Than Dirt was back to their scalping tricks but when I looked at the site a minute ago, AR PMAGS were 20 bucks each and all 5.56 and 9mm Ammo was sold out.
I'm guessing it was new shooters that cleaned them out. Why people would willingly support a company that shafts shooters at the first hint of a panic is a mystery to me.

As soon as the panic buying started I checked out CTD and they had 1000 rounds of Federal M193 (IIRC) for $800. Yep, up to their old crap again.

scw2
03-23-2020, 06:52 PM
As soon as the panic buying started I checked out CTD and they had 1000 rounds of Federal M193 (IIRC) for $800. Yep, up to their old crap again.

you should report them to the state AG for price gouging during a panic :D

deputyG23
03-27-2020, 09:31 AM

I would rather piss on an electric fence than deal with CTD.