PDA

View Full Version : M&P Performance Center Slide Kit

Vista461
03-21-2020, 08:38 PM
Are the Performance Center Slide Kits for the 1.0’s been accurate or do they suffer from the old M&P issues.

Was thinking about picking one up to convert my M&P 40 to 9mm and also have the ability to toss a red dot on it.

DamonL
03-22-2020, 01:51 PM
I would buy one without porting, but the red-dot capability is interesting.

ranger
03-23-2020, 08:49 AM
I have a M&P Pro 5 inch Gen 1 40S&W that I shot as a 9mm as my primary range toy for years with a Storm Lake 40-9 barrel. I am not a bullseye shooter and it was fine for steel plates and IDPA like events. I got that 40 version because it was very cheap. I moved on to M&P Gen 2s. I got the RDS bug and no M&P Gen 2 CORES out yet. I bought a M&P Performance Center 5 inch Gen 1 40S&W ported kit for $350 shipped after I considered the cost of milling a M&P slide, etc. I swapped slides and put in the Stormlake 40-9 barrel and installed a SRO. It is working great and gives me a chance to use a SRO on pistol platform that I already now, with holsters, mags, etc.

archangel
03-23-2020, 08:56 AM
I've had no complaints with mine, but I'm running the ported slide with an unported KKM barrel.

Duke
03-23-2020, 10:51 AM
I find these very interesting

To each his own. I don’t quite get not wanting ports or comp if it can be had -especially not having to send it off or Giu another barrel/comp combo.

My gun shoots too flat isn’t a thing.

mmc45414
03-23-2020, 11:43 AM
Was thinking about picking one up to convert my M&P 40 to 9mm and also have the ability to toss a red dot on it.
I was thinking the same thing but balked because a 2.0 5" could be had for $409, so I was thinking of getting one milled instead. But now they are not $409 so not sure.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DamonL
03-23-2020, 04:09 PM
SoCalDep Do you have any knowledge about the S&W Performance center slide kit?

DamonL
03-23-2020, 04:26 PM
archangel ranger Did you shoot groups with the factory barrel that came with the kit?

ranger
03-23-2020, 04:34 PM
archangel ranger Did you shoot groups with the factory barrel that came with the kit?

No, ported CORE barrel is unfired in the M&P box. I may sell it on eBay as I will never use it. The swap made sense for me as I already had the Stormlake 40-9 conversion barrel

archangel
03-23-2020, 04:55 PM

I never fired the ported bbl, as I was putting it together as a USPSA Carry Optics gun, and ports aren't allowed there.

SoCalDep
03-23-2020, 05:02 PM
SoCalDep Do you have any knowledge about the S&W Performance center slide kit?

I don’t. We don’t authorize performance center models and I don’t know anyone who got one. The only vaguely-related info I can provide is that I do know several people who’ve had Apex barrels fitted to their 2.0 COREs with substantial increases in accuracy, so I would not expect them to be as accurate as an aftermarket barrel (specifically Apex in my experience).

DamonL
03-23-2020, 09:10 PM
Thank you everyone for the quick responses! You guys are awesome.

I called S&W customer support to ask if the barrels were special in anyway and he did not know except it was ported. I asked specifically if it was a match barrel and if it was fitted to the slide. He suggested emailing the question and someone would respond. I did not follow up. So I don’t know if the kit could improve accuracy.

For me the benefit would be getting an optic mount and suppressor sights. The porting is not as important to me because I don't really shoot high pressure 9mm rounds that make a port work well and I would worry about keeping the slide and ports clean because of the placement of the ports.

If accuracy was the concern, a fitted match barrel would make better sense and it seems that a few of you did both to get the best possible combination.

I wish Apex still sold gunsmith fit barrels not just semi drop-in.

archangel
03-24-2020, 10:36 AM
Thank you everyone for the quick responses! You guys are awesome.

I called S&W customer support to ask if the barrels were special in anyway and he did not know except it was ported. I asked specifically if it was a match barrel and if it was fitted to the slide. He suggested emailing the question and someone would respond. I did not follow up. So I don’t know if the kit could improve accuracy.

For me the benefit would be getting an optic mount and suppressor sights. The porting is not as important to me because I don't really shoot high pressure 9mm rounds that make a port work well and I would worry about keeping the slide and ports clean because of the placement of the ports.

If accuracy was the concern, a fitted match barrel would make better sense and it seems that a few of you did both to get the best possible combination.

FYI, Even with an unported barrel in it, I do find the ported slide to shoot noticeably flatter due to the weight reduction. A consideration if you are looking at aftermarket match barrels anyway.

Also, I need to revise my earlier "no complaints" comment, as I remembered that I do have a minor quibble with it: The loaded chamber indicator / blow-hole right in front of the optic shoots a line of soot up the middle of the lens. Nothing that cleaning more often can't take care of, but it's a little annoying.

45dotACP
03-24-2020, 11:18 AM

Dude same.

I haven't tried the drop in, but the fitted barrel puts the M&P in the title of "most accurate plastic pistol I've ever fired"

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Duke
03-28-2020, 04:05 PM
So this doesn’t suck...and that’s coming from a 2011 lover.