PDA

View Full Version : Mauser 7.65 pistol

Kevins24
03-21-2020, 01:55 PM

Does any one know anything about this? Is it worth anything? Any info would be greatly appreciated 😁

Lex Luthier
03-21-2020, 10:12 PM
That is a Mauser M1914.
On any vintage .32, Tamara is your huckleberry. She's forgotten more about these things than any other three people might have ever known.

Here is a blog post that she did a decade back that describes the piece.

http://cosmolineandrust.blogspot.com/2010/09/continental-32-pocket-pistols-1900-1914.html

Price generally depends on condition. Check completed Gunbroker auctions of ones that resemble yours in condition and features to get in the current ballpark.

Cool little pistol, by the way. What's the story on it?

TGS
03-22-2020, 08:34 AM
Mauser 1914s were the best pocket pistols you could buy back then. Based on your serial number, this is a vanilla 1914 made between 1923-1929. I would guess in the mid-late 20s for your particular gun.

Either yours has zero bluing left (to the point it looks chemically stripped), or yours looks like it could have been nickled at some point, though factory nickled 1914s were extremely rare and most being advertised as such are almost assuredly aftermarket jobs. With that said, yours has a poor finish, obvious and extensive light surface pitting, and cracked grips, whereas the average example out there has decent bluing and relatively clean, undamaged grips. They usually sell for around $300-$400.

If the bore is good and springs in good condition, you might be able to get $100 for it if somebody wanted a project gun to refinish. If you had factory documentation that it was nickeled by Mauser, you could probably get a lot more money strictly as a collector's piece...but that value would be totally up in the air as to what the market would pay for a poor example.

Bigghoss
03-22-2020, 08:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atC0fw067L8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDO4LP6v5xc

ACP230
03-22-2020, 10:39 AM
My uncle brought one back from World War II.
I thought that was a bit strange since he served in the Pacific Theatre.
Never got to shoot it and only saw it once.
When he died some distant relatives from CA got it.

I tried to talk my aunt out of it but she was in the process of
cutting off all contact with our side of the family then.

TGS
03-22-2020, 10:49 AM
My uncle brought one back from World War II.
I thought that was a bit strange since he served in the Pacific Theatre.
Never got to shoot it and only saw it once.
When he died some distant relatives from CA got it.

I tried to talk my aunt out of it but she was in the process of
cutting off all contact with our side of the family then.

Did he happen to be stationed in China at the end of the war before coming home? If so, I wouldn't be surprised. China was basically Germany-in-the-East prior to the war, and Mausers of all types were superbly popular.

Half Moon
03-22-2020, 11:50 AM
They usually sell for around $300-$400.

And maybe not even that. There are couple locally - one making the gun show circuit like the last two years, another sitting in a gun store about a year and a half. I think they have them around the $350 to $385 price point. They are both .25 ACP though. Maybe .32 would move better. Gun show example is pristine and stepson lusts after it every time we see it.

JonInWA
03-22-2020, 12:32 PM
Neat period gun, as is a FN/Browning 1910-but operationally TOTALLY superseded by things like the Glock 42/43 family in my opinion. I like and appreciate curio stuff like this, but I wouldn't depend upon them as a life saving instrument except in extremis...

Best, Jon

Kevins24
03-23-2020, 04:35 AM
That is a Mauser M1914.
On any vintage .32, Tamara is your huckleberry. She's forgotten more about these things than any other three people might have ever known.

Here is a blog post that she did a decade back that describes the piece.

http://cosmolineandrust.blogspot.com/2010/09/continental-32-pocket-pistols-1900-1914.html

Price generally depends on condition. Check completed Gunbroker auctions of ones that resemble yours in condition and features to get in the current ballpark.

Cool little pistol, by the way. What's the story on it?

I found it in an attic of a house I bought