PDA

View Full Version : Maryland law and shotguns

LittleLebowski
03-20-2020, 01:49 PM
Is it legal for me to loan a shotgun to a non prohibited MD resident?

blues
03-20-2020, 02:07 PM

My mother and one of my sisters moved (from NJ) to MD last year. (Out of the frying pan into the fire.) I'm not even sure it's legal for me to visit the state.

43Under
03-20-2020, 04:12 PM

Currently yes. But the General Assembly has passed the bill to make it a no-no. Governor hasn't signed or vetoed it yet. If he does sign it, it won't go into effect until Oct 1, most likely.

10mmfanboy
03-20-2020, 04:43 PM
My Dad moved there and he basically sold all of his guns before he moved, because even though they were already registered to him, he would have had to re-register all of his guns through MD again.

joshs
03-20-2020, 04:55 PM
Probably not.

"It shall be unlawful . . . for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes . . . ."

18 U.S.C. S 922(a)(5).

OlongJohnson
03-20-2020, 07:43 PM
So if they can document they shot some clays with it...

CleverNickname
03-20-2020, 10:18 PM
Sure, but you need to involve an FFL to transfer it to them.