PDA

View Full Version : Gun Control proponents are now trying to buy Guns & ammo

Amp
03-20-2020, 09:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiZZJitkKvA

Whirlwind06
03-20-2020, 09:44 AM
Well, lets hope some of them vote pro gun in the future.

Stephanie B
03-20-2020, 09:45 AM
Good!

HCountyGuy
03-20-2020, 09:54 AM

I’m skeptical this will change their outlook. This is a crisis, civilized society doesn’t need guns.

Once the panic subsides I can see them going right back to their anti-gun drivel, only now they’ll claim that them owning a firearm makes their opinion more valid. After all, how many people that currently own guns still push for “common sense gun laws”?

blues
03-20-2020, 10:04 AM
I’m skeptical this will change their outlook. This is a crisis, civilized society doesn’t need guns.

Once the panic subsides I can see them going right back to their anti-gun drivel, only now they’ll claim that them owning a firearm makes their opinion more valid. After all, how many people that currently own guns still push for “common sense gun laws”?

It's pretty much a crisis when someone breaks into one's home, or attacks one on the street. (Of course, you know that already. But, maybe the concept of "crisis" may be adjusted somewhat in the wake of feeling real fear for perhaps the first time by some.)

Lester Polfus
03-20-2020, 10:16 AM
So I have a theory about people who are super into gun control.

One subset of folks are genuinely horrified by violence and honestly think it will help. I can disagree with them, but still respect them. These folks essentially think The Government Fairy can solve this and make the world a better place.

The other other subset of folks are actually really violent people. Its just that their skills and predilections make them much more capable of social and emotional violence than physical violence. They know on an atavistic level that physical violence trumps their bullshit. They want to use The Government Fairy to make sure everyone else has to play by the same rule as them. They've gotten a wake up call that snarky comments on Twitter aren't going to be enough, so they're in line to buy a gun.

It can hard to tell the two groups apart, as they often virtue signal in the same ways.

MGW
03-20-2020, 01:10 PM
And vegans are secretly stockpiling Spam.

Balisong
03-20-2020, 01:12 PM

I don't know of anything more vegan than Spam:

Stuff
Posing
As
Meat

Lester Polfus
03-20-2020, 01:16 PM

Judging from our grocery store shelves, a bunch of "gluten allergies" have disappeared.

Grey
03-20-2020, 01:17 PM
I think this is great, I am happy that more people are buying guns and seeing first hand how the current state of gun restriction affects the average Joe. These same people can't go out and talk about gun nuts because they are one of "us" now. This is a positive for the community because a lot of people are now exposed. It got those on the fence off of it. Super anti gunners will always be anti gunners. Its the rest of us that I want to bring into the fold. Come on in the water is nice...

Everyone that is shitting on them? Way to represent the worst of us. Instead this is a great opportunity to educate these folks because you have a captive deer in headlights audience that will likely be way more receptive to the "guns aren't bad" message that we are all promoting.

rd62
03-20-2020, 01:51 PM
I think the liberal lesson here is "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it".

RJ
03-20-2020, 02:19 PM
I think this is great, I am happy that more people are buying guns and seeing first hand how the current state of gun restriction affects the average Joe. These same people can't go out and talk about gun nuts because they are one of "us" now. This is a positive for the community because a lot of people are now exposed. It got those on the fence off of it. Super anti gunners will always be anti gunners. Its the rest of us that I want to bring into the fold. Come on in the water is nice...

This is literally exactly how I feel.

If I am at the range this weekend, you can bet I will be super aware of any noobies on the line and if I am asked, I will help out in any way I can.

hufnagel
03-20-2020, 02:31 PM
At the very least, the entire gun industry is going to see a nice bump in the profit column. Can't be mad at that.

Suvorov
03-20-2020, 02:52 PM

They won’t. The LA riots should have woken Kalifornia progressive up but it didn’t. One thing I have learned living in one of the most progressive and hoplophibic regions of the country is that that the WOKE earnestly believe that they are anointed and the rules only apply to others.

blues
03-20-2020, 02:59 PM
They won’t. The LA riots should have woken Kalifornia progressive up but I’d didn’t. One thing I have lived living in one of the most progressive and hoplophibic regions of the country is that that the WOKE earnestly believe that they are anointed and the rules only apply to others.

https://toofab.akamaized.net/2020/03/19/rosie-odonnell-200319-getty-810x610.jpg

"You got that right pal. Now get off my lawn before I have one of my security team shoot you."

LockedBreech
03-20-2020, 03:05 PM
I think it's a net positive. Even if it only shifts a few thousand people into the pro-gun camp, I'll take it. With the media slanted as hard as it is against guns, we need all the voices we can get.

RevolverRob
03-20-2020, 03:10 PM
They won’t. The LA riots should have woken Kalifornia progressive up but I’d didn’t. One thing I have lived living in one of the most progressive and hoplophibic regions of the country is that that the WOKE earnestly believe that they are anointed and the rules only apply to others.

One thing I've seen coming out of the Coronavirus Panic is that WOKE culture seems to be getting swept aside in a hurry.

For months, years, all I've been hearing about is people's fucking identity choices. Now all the sudden, people are seeing an existential threat and their personal identities are becoming less relevant. I drew a comparison between "early" Millennials and "late" Millennials a while back that brings this idea back to the forefront.

Early millennials grew up partly before widespread internet, but had it in our teen years. Many of us 'came of age' right around the 2008 financial crisis and spent the better part of 3-5 years of our early careers/adult lives struggling financially to make ends meet, to eat, to live. Many of us don't give two rat fucks about people's identities, because we have work ethics that put a lot of folks to shame. We busted our asses to make the modicum of progress we did make and we won't be giving anything up without a fight.

Late millennials came of age in the rebounding portion of the economy. They grew up accepting lower standards than the folks just five years ahead of them. These are the folks who care more about having their "identity" respected than they care about being self-sufficient or free. The bar was low for them and they still aim to walk right under it. Career baristas, 'artists', social justice warriors. Those folks are now feeling the real pinch, the real threat, of economic and cultural crisis that they never felt before.

What is fascinating to me is that in the blink of an eye, they are abandoning their "identities", because it means nothing. I think in six months we'll see some interesting pieces from Vox and Vice about the 'coming of age' of Millennials born 1990 and after, and how even though some of those folks are 30 years old this year, they had no fucking clue.

Slacktivism will not cure coronavirus. Nor will it keep mean people from coming to your house and taking your shit by force if they want it. When all of the sudden the struggle for survival becomes real, people want the means and tools to help them survive, and they stop caring about the other shit.

The trick will be reminding folks of these lessons in 5 years and 10 years and beyond.

Stephanie B
03-20-2020, 03:32 PM
<snip>

Anyway, I was looking at your avatar and thinking that, since this whole shebang started, I shifted over to carrying a 1911 and that my usual go-to rifle is a Winchester `94.

So I'm there.

(OK, the 1911 is a LW Commander, but still)

jellydonut
03-20-2020, 03:40 PM
So I have a theory about people who are super into gun control.

One subset of folks are genuinely horrified by violence and honestly think it will help. I can disagree with them, but still respect them. These folks essentially think The Government Fairy can solve this and make the world a better place.

The other other subset of folks are actually really violent people. Its just that their skills and predilections make them much more capable of social and emotional violence than physical violence. They know on an atavistic level that physical violence trumps their bullshit. They want to use The Government Fairy to make sure everyone else has to play by the same rule as them. They've gotten a wake up call that snarky comments on Twitter aren't going to be enough, so they're in line to buy a gun.

It can hard to tell the two groups apart, as they often virtue signal in the same ways.

Anecdotally, this is true. It is actually also quite easy to tell them apart, because the second group will psychologically project their own failings onto humanity at large.

They will talk about all sorts of violent fantasies like "if people have guns in their glove box, they're going to road rage and kill people" - because they would do this themselves. If they trust you enough, they will slip up and tell you that they know they would do this if they had a gun easily available. Their major failing is that they have uncontrolled violent tendencies, *and* that they believe everyone else does, too.

10mmfanboy
03-20-2020, 04:37 PM
When everything goes back to normal and they hate guns again I hope there are some sweet deals for used guns on the shelf. And hopefully they aren't all taurus and hipoint either.

Lester Polfus
03-20-2020, 05:55 PM
When everything goes back to normal and they hate guns again I hope there are some sweet deals for used guns on the shelf. And hopefully they aren't all taurus and hipoint either.

I'm predicting a bunch of tweets of them virtue signaling by taking the gun to a "buy back" program then bitching the gift certificates weren't to a vegan co-op.

Lester Polfus
03-20-2020, 07:07 PM
Anyway, I was looking at your avatar and thinking that, since this whole shebang started, I shifted over to carrying a 1911 and that my usual go-to rifle is a Winchester `94.

So I'm there.

You are rolling way more Longmire than I am! My 1894 is a Marlin, I don't even own a 1911 anymore. I think my revolvers give me curmudgeon points though?

Your LW Commander is cool. You could stimulate the economy by going Full Longmire (https://www.etsy.com/market/stag_1911_grips).

Joe in PNG
03-20-2020, 08:47 PM
Most people don't grok the realities of a situation until it affects them personally. How many times do we hear the phrases "I never thought..." or " I knew about (reality), but I didn't believe..." or variations on the theme?

For a lot of people, this is going to kill off a lot of anti-gun propaganda. Most normies have been told for decades that you could buy a machine gun with less hassle than a teddy bear, or that one could order guns through the mail or other nonsense. The voted in laws they didn't really understand. Now, it's personal for a lot of them.

Sero Sed Serio
03-20-2020, 08:53 PM
I think it's a net positive. Even if it only shifts a few thousand people into the pro-gun camp, I'll take it. With the media slanted as hard as it is against guns, we need all the voices we can get.

I agree. If we can get some anti-gunners to shift, but hopefully there will be a huge increase in neutrals/independents who previously knew nothing and now come to see that “common sense” is anything but and that the “gun nuts” with “assault weapons” labels are being applied to them.

Bucky
03-21-2020, 05:08 AM

The lost lesson on them isn’t specifically about guns per say, but how quickly things can turn to shit. Two weeks ago, things were essentially “normal”.

Spartan1980
03-21-2020, 05:31 AM
They won’t. The LA riots should have woken Kalifornia progressive up but it didn’t. One thing I have learned living in one of the most progressive and hoplophibic regions of the country is that that the WOKE earnestly believe that they are anointed and the rules only apply to others.

I will never forget the video on TV of the surfer looking dude in the gunshop buying a gun. He had no clue that he had to wait 7 days to pick it up after buying it. He was convinced that he needed it "right now" because of all the rioting and maybe he really did need it. He was quite upset and stated " but this is America!". This was before Clinton's AWB also but it didn't matter, LA overwhelmingly supported it. Sometimes a slap upside the head won't even get people's attention because that should have done it. But sadly, the emphasized part of your post is reality. :(

Jeff22
03-21-2020, 06:13 AM
I suspect that most of the people buying guns now had considered it in the past and finally decided to “pull the trigger” on a purchase.

I bet that few of the vehemently anti-gun people suddenly changed their thinking. It would take a significant threat to their safety, like being the victim of a violent crime, to actually cause them to change their belief about something they felt really strongly about.

Clusterfrack
03-21-2020, 10:24 AM
I have a friend with an FFL. His friend, who has been a “no guns in my house” kind of guy, announced that he needed a Glock 19 and needed help getting one ASAP. He was very specific, and had spent hours researching what gun to buy. Unfortunately there are none to be had around here, or from my buddy’s vendors.

DC_P
03-21-2020, 01:54 PM
Judging from our grocery store shelves, a bunch of "gluten allergies" have disappeared.

And the people bragging about using green cleaning products are hoarding the bleach.

Mike C
03-21-2020, 11:04 PM
This is literally exactly how I feel.

If I am at the range this weekend, you can bet I will be super aware of any noobies on the line and if I am asked, I will help out in any way I can.

I just did this Friday evening. Guy two stalls down asked me to help him because his gun was jammed. Ammunition was loaded in backwards.

10mmfanboy
03-22-2020, 12:14 AM
I just did this Friday evening. Guy two stalls down asked me to help him because his gun was jammed. Ammunition was loaded in backwards.

That is truly frightening! That is kind of why I never went to an indoor range ever again, I kept noticing all the bullet holes in the dividers. Nuh uh, nope!

The last 3 gun competition I was in locally invited a lot of new shooters to enter. Kind of went the same way, people (including myself) were getting pepper sprayed by shot bouncing back off the targets every so often. No one could figure out what was going on for a little while until we realized that a couple of people were using steel shot instead of lead shot.

I even managed to get sprayed with shot while shooting sporting clay. I'm not sure how it happened but one of the stations across the quarry must have hit me as I was leaving my station. Luckily I had a backpack on carrying station to station, because it still stung like hell. Shotguns must hate my own guts or something.

olstyn
03-22-2020, 07:48 AM

Was it an HK? :cool:

blues
03-22-2020, 08:44 AM
You guys wanna laugh?

Years ago we had an agent who became famous at FLETC because when he was told by the range instructor to "stagger the rounds" he tried to load one forward, one backward into the magazine. I shit you not.

That wasn't his only faux pas, but the only one regarding firearms that I'm aware of.

You can't make this shit up.

Bucky
03-22-2020, 09:03 AM

Was it an HK? :cool:

Of course not. It wouldn't have jammed.

olstyn
03-22-2020, 09:06 AM
Of course not. I wouldn't have jammed.

Man, now I can't decide if your response means you're in on the joke or that you're not. :)

Bucky
03-22-2020, 09:08 AM
Man, now I can't decide if your response means you're in on the joke or that you're not. :)

HK released a brochure with ammo loaded "backwards". One can only assume that this is how their particular guns work, and doing so wouldn't result in a jam. :p

Question is, are you in on the joke?? ;););)

SouthNarc
03-22-2020, 09:31 AM
You guys wanna laugh?

Years ago we had an agent who became famous at FLETC because when he was told by the range instructor to "stagger the rounds" he tried to load one forward, one backward into the magazine. I shit you not.

That wasn't his only faux pas, but the only one regarding firearms that I'm aware of.

You can't make this shit up.

On a written test for a "Transition" course from revolver to semi, one of our dumb as a box of hammers deputies answered the question "What purpose does the decocker serve?" with "To remove the cock". Needless to say he stuck with a wheelie.

JohnO
03-22-2020, 09:45 AM
Shared by a friend on his FaceBook page.

To all my anti gun “friends” who are suddenly asking me for advice on what guns to buy. And you know who you are. I’ve given this a lot of thought. While saying you’re my friend you’ve spent years actively trying to undermine my ability to protect my family, my self and my property (in that order). Your ilk has mocked me, my fiends, my family as little dicked rednecks attempting to make up for a lack of whatever you felt like mocking us for that day. You lobby to have laws written against us. You blame me for crimes I didn’t commit. You have entire groups funded by “costal elite” shitbags hell bent on making me a criminal over night for simply owning an inanimate object. You trash me and people like me online in groups made up of mainly single 40+ year old women who usually are covered in cat hair while having a 3 boxes of wine a day habit. After all that, you now come to me asking for advice or even help. So after thinking it over. Here’s my advice. Go fuck yourself. Life’s a real sonofabitch and if things go the way everyone is acting like they will (chances are they won’t but ya’ll some panicky dickheads ain’t ya?), your little sheltered pampered beta way of life will cease to exist and you’ll soon see how all the plebs you look down upon live, how we were right and have always been right. Best of luck to ya. And yea. I’m gonna steal your fucking toilet paper and whatever vegan bacon and tofu you got left if it comes to that (hopefully it doesn’t cause nobody wants to eat that shit). Your “self defense” whistle, self aggrandizing strongly worded finger wagging and picture of Barrack Obama over your green electric fireplace won’t save you. Plan accordingly

jrm
03-22-2020, 09:59 AM
Shared by a friend on his FaceBook page.

So since he is threatening looting during a crisis should he be removed from society now? I got mine fuck you and I’m gonna take yours when the time comes. Real good ambassador, citizen and human being.

olstyn
03-22-2020, 10:00 AM
HK released a brochure with ammo loaded "backwards". One can only assume that this is how their particular guns work, and doing so wouldn't result in a jam. :p

Question is, are you in on the joke?? ;););)

Glad to see we're on the same page. :)

blues
03-22-2020, 10:03 AM
So since he is threatening looting during a crisis should he be removed from society now? I got mine fuck you and I’m gonna take yours when the time comes. Real good ambassador, citizen and human being.

I don't do facebook and I don't advocate acting like a complete dick, even to the clueless, but I gotta admit that the post made me chuckle.

(I'd probably have put it somewhat differently even if allowing myself a wry smile on the inside.)

olstyn
03-22-2020, 10:03 AM

Yeah, I understand the frustration he's expressing, but that message was wholly inappropriate.

Poconnor
03-22-2020, 10:08 AM
I was with him until he said he was going to steal their supplies. I think too many people have that as a plan. Personally I will not steal supplies but I am not above recycling supplies that the deceased left behind or others have abandoned. I don’t think this will go walking dead bad but I do expect home invasions and robberies to really increase. Personally I think we should welcome the new gun owners. Educate them on the constitution, Modern history gun safety and use of force. I fear that for too many their only gun eduction will be from YouTube , Biden and Dave Chappelle- “get a shotgun quick and a box of buckshot!”

Glenn E. Meyer
03-22-2020, 10:14 AM
About the surge of gun buying, training, safety, antis with guns etc.

First, remember that in good times, the average gun buyer doesn't ever train. Karl Rehn's TX report: https://blog.krtraining.com/beyond-the-one-percent-part-1/

So we expect that panic buyers will train? Good luck on that. I have friends who buy guns and guns but never train. When they say they 'have to train' it is a box on the square range. I've given them info, offered to take them to matches - there is always something.

Karl also found that newbies were pretty crappy with small guns. He estimated only a 40% chance of an effective shot.

Safety - almost got shot in the foot by a guy holstering a 1911 have a load and make ready. I was score keeper. Missed my foot by a foot.

The attitude - yeah, I see. That I was a strong advocate for firearms, campus carry, etc. and made it know. I might point out that my 'conservative' gun friends were silent on the issue. I told the university President that he was full of it at an open meeting. Got on TV and in the paper for Legislative testimony. Never mentioned by school PR - they usual do such when one of us got to blather in public. The PR guy told me on the side - guess why. Lost some 'friends' over that issue. Why would you be like that?

So we are discussing emergency crap and the chair says - It is good you have training. Like I'm coming to save you, after you told me that the Dean and you didn't like my research program. Note - that assault weapons paper I did won an Psychology Honor's Society award when she presented her part at a convention. The version I wrote for the jury journal was one of their top downloads. I presented to the Texas Bar. Did the school ever mention any of that - NOPE.

Thus, I totally understand the attitude in the quoted Facebook.

Let these folks buy guns. Some might get converted to cause. I wasn't an anti but got into it when a friend faced real threats and I joined him in trying guns out. If they put them in the underwear draw like the prof who told me he had a pistol grip 12 gauge in the draw for years, so what. The less they handle it, the less chance of an ND.

Poconnor
03-22-2020, 10:33 AM
Your tale of the chair being glad of your training reminded me of when the township I worked for was going through the process of firing an officer. Long story- in short he had some mental health issues and never got the help he needed. The union and the mayor were in the middle of a meeting about the guy when the guys wife called and said he was coming there with a gun. Supposedly the mayor said he was glad the officers there were armed. All the officers were off duty and none were armed. The officers said meeting over and left. The mayor called the chief and demanded a bodyguard. The mayor then had the police Dept “train” him quick; as in the bullets go in here and come out here. That mayors nickname was Bobo the clown

Joe in PNG
03-22-2020, 03:33 PM
I'm of the view that the better response is graciousness and a willingness to give good advice.

Remember, the backstop of Karen's ND while trying out her new self protection gun just might be you.

TAZ
03-22-2020, 03:56 PM
The best that we can hope for is that those anti-gun types able to get guns dont hurt themselves and others by accident, but then that hope applies to all IMO. Those who cant, come to the realization that the laws on the books only stop people willing to obey them and maybe instead of wanting more laws decide the best attack to the problem of violet crime is to remove the criminal from society for a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.

The reality of the matter is that a very small % will make a change in there views, but I will take that % and move along. Same thing applies to the folks and their feelings about made in china shit. Once the dust settles they wont care that they are supporting communists slave traders so long as they get their cheap Xbox, iPhone, 80" XHDTV....

Nephrology
03-22-2020, 04:01 PM
The reality of the matter is that a very small % will make a change in there views, but I will take that % and move along.

I dunno. Lived experience is really powerful.

Ever hear the expression, " A democrat is just a republican that hasn't been mugged yet" ?

The counter example, ironically, is "A republican is just a democrat that hasn't gotten sick yet."

Yung
03-22-2020, 10:27 PM
The counter example, ironically, is "A republican is just a democrat that hasn't gotten sick yet."

Part of the reason why I stopped registering as an independent and started identifying with the GOP were due to experiences (mine and others) with the active-duty military healthcare system, and certainly the VA.

hufnagel
03-23-2020, 06:27 AM
U.S. Military healthcare, and especially the VA, are what you get when you let (our) government run healthcare.
Now i'm back to wanting everyone to have to serve in the military for 4 years, if only to get to experience the "excellent" level of care our glorious leaders provide.

5pins
03-23-2020, 06:50 AM

Ever hear the expression, " A democrat is just a republican that hasn't been mugged yet" ?

Getting cancer didn't change my opinion on democrats.

Joe S
03-23-2020, 07:39 AM
Now i'm back to wanting everyone to have to serve in the military for 4 years, if only to get to experience the "excellent" level of care our glorious leaders provide.

I'm really of the opinion that we should have mandatory service. I think it would give people skin in the game as a citizen of the nation, maybe help prevent some stupider wars, provide job training to some, give young people a chance to figure out what they want to do without incurring massive debt, provide a ready reserve of military members as well as maybe hospital orderlies/auxiliary police. You can work in an ER or inner city school system if you have moral objections to a profession of arms. Could be handy in an awful lot of situations, like now.

Borderland
03-23-2020, 07:53 AM
Karl also found that newbies were pretty crappy with small guns. He estimated only a 40% chance of an effective shot.

I belong to a private outdoor range. We have a 5/8" metal plate bullet trap at 15 yds. I would estimate that the trap is about 8'x36'. Members bring a lot of guests to our pistol range. A lot of those guests have never fired a handgun. Our upper and lower bullet stops (ties and baffles) get shot to pieces by people that cant keep a round in the 15 yd bullet trap. We recently had to rebuild the upper baffle. Some of those rounds go 6' above the top of the bullet trap. That means if you were aiming at a target at the center of the trap you missed it by 10'.:(

A few years ago the club installed cameras and this year every member got a mug shot with their new membership card and key. I suspect the club is going to start culling some members.

Crazy Dane
03-23-2020, 07:56 AM

Just in my last shift at work, I had a ambulance crew that is known to push socialized healthcare to come out and say that it is failing in the places that have it and it would fail here. I couldn't gauge one of them on the other stuff, he has been very quite and stoic. The other one still thinks that the government is going to provide food and necessary supplies.

I haven't been asked about guns yet but I did get asked how much ammo I had. I think he was fishing to see if I could provide some but my answer of "just enough" only elicited an oh, ok.

Borderland
03-23-2020, 08:05 AM
I'm really of the opinion that we should have mandatory service. I think it would give people skin in the game as a citizen of the nation, maybe help prevent some stupider wars, provide job training to some, give young people a chance to figure out what they want to do without incurring massive debt, provide a ready reserve of military members as well as maybe hospital orderlies/auxiliary police. You can work in an ER or inner city school system if you have moral objections to a profession of arms. Could be handy in an awful lot of situations, like now.

Did you serve in the military during Vietnam and the draft? Sounds good on paper but I saw some serious problems with it. I'll just say we're better off with a volunteer force and leave it at that.

ranger
03-23-2020, 08:15 AM

I am curious as to what do you think a large draft based military would be doing "like now". We have a much smaller professional military standing by to help - and in some cases directly engaged as legally allowed. Note that 7 out of 10 Americans under the age of 25 cannot currently join the military because they cannot meet entry requirements - usually they do not have a HS diploma (try to minimize GEDs inducted), already have a felony, have a chronic illness, or are obese. The Army relaxed entry requirements during the Iraq/Afghanistan "surge" and quickly regretted it.

It is not the military's job anymore to "provide job training to some, give young people a chance to figure out what they want to do without incurring massive debt" - the people with that job are called Parents.

blues
03-23-2020, 08:46 AM
U.S. Military healthcare, and especially the VA, are what you get when you let (our) government run healthcare.

I often wonder about this...

Suvorov
03-23-2020, 10:02 AM
I am curious as to what do you think a large draft based military would be doing "like now". We have a much smaller professional military standing by to help - and in some cases directly engaged as legally allowed. Note that 7 out of 10 Americans under the age of 25 cannot currently join the military because they cannot meet entry requirements - usually they do not have a HS diploma (try to minimize GEDs inducted), already have a felony, have a chronic illness, or are obese. The Army relaxed entry requirements during the Iraq/Afghanistan "surge" and quickly regretted it.

It is not the military's job anymore to "provide job training to some, give young people a chance to figure out what they want to do without incurring massive debt" - the people with that job are called Parents.

Yep!

After spending some time in Europe and seeing how their conscript troops compared to our I came to the conclusion that whatever benefits conscription might have for the country it would NOT be good for our military.

Glenn E. Meyer
03-23-2020, 12:19 PM
Here's the deal.

Number One: With mandatory service, would that include all women of the defined aged? In what capacities?

Number Two: What about the variations of personal sexuality that currently outrage some, such that they are unfit to serve? Do they serve? During Viet Nam days, if you said you were gay and got a psychiatrist's letter you were not drafted. Lots of folks declaring transgender in the future? The straight heroes go off to war?

Number Three: Took my kid to the range. It was a new range. I wore my range officer GSSF hat. The staff woman said thank God, you can run your daughter. She was trying teach some guy to shoot - she was white with terror over this old guy. My kid (who knows how to shoot), points at the ceiling right above our lane. Full of holes. A staff member tells me it was like that a month after opening.

At another new range, the staff guy was showing me how the new target mover works. I notice the holes in the ceiling. He says - soon as they opened, that happened. He points to a lane down the row and says look at that. The lanes are separated by 'bullet' proof polymer. One partition has a big star shaped inpact. Oops.

Half Moon
03-23-2020, 12:21 PM
I belong to a private outdoor range. We have a 5/8" metal plate bullet trap at 15 yds. I would estimate that the trap is about 8'x36'. Members bring a lot of guests to our pistol range. A lot of those guests have never fired a handgun. Our upper and lower bullet stops (ties and baffles) get shot to pieces by people that cant keep a round in the 15 yd bullet trap. We recently had to rebuild the upper baffle. Some of those rounds go 6' above the top of the bullet trap. That means if you were aiming at a target at the center of the trap you missed it by 10'.:(

A few years ago the club installed cameras and this year every member got a mug shot with their new membership card and key. I suspect the club is going to start culling some members.

Saw an example of this at the indoor range a couple months back. Group of younger folks, say early 20's, shooting, among other things, a Moisin Nagant rifle [insert RANT about rifle calibers at an indoor range] or at least pulling the trigger. They were consistently hitting the ceiling 'aiming' at a target 10 yards out. Range staff stops them and explains how to use the sights. Resume, and more ceiling hits. Range staff shuts down them using the rifle. Overheard after range staff wandered away: 'it's these crappy Russian peep (?!?)sights. We need to get a scope'. Long sigh...

Mitch
03-23-2020, 12:44 PM

I wish I shared your optimism on this. I think we're going to find that plenty of people feel they should be able to have a gun but nobody else should, so gun control is a net positive. To those people, I hope they experience all the difficulty they deserve in procuring a firearm and enjoy your Amazon delivered baseball bat, loser.

deputyG23
03-27-2020, 09:15 AM
On a written test for a "Transition" course from revolver to semi, one of our dumb as a box of hammers deputies answered the question "What purpose does the decocker serve?" with "To remove the cock". Needless to say he stuck with a wheelie.

One of our most memorable phrases used during a transition from sixguns to Smith 2nd gen 9mms was "Decock your weapon before it decocks you".

Stephanie B
03-27-2020, 09:27 AM
U.S. Military healthcare, and especially the VA, are what you get when you let (our) government run healthcare on a shoestring with political appointees in charge.
FIFY.

blues
03-27-2020, 09:58 AM

One of our most memorable phrases used during a transition from sixguns to Smith 2nd gen 9mms was "Decock your weapon before it decocks you".

The same guy I referenced above regarding the "staggered rounds", also asked the FLETC EVOC Course trainer what "PRNDL" stood for at the top of the steering column.

Bet you'd wanna drive with him. :rolleyes:

JohnO
03-27-2020, 10:24 AM
New gun shop rules in CT. BY HIS EXCELLENCY NED LAMONT EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 7N

https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/Office-of-the-Governor/Executive-Orders/Lamont-Executive-Orders/Executive-Order-No-7N.pdf

a. Firearms Transactions by Appointment Only. Effective immediately and through May 15, 2020, unless earlier modified, extended, or terminated by me, because the nature of certain regulated retail transactions, including purchase, sale, and transfer of firearms, ammunition, and their components or supplies, requires the customer's presence inside the business to accommodate certain parts of those transactions or associated background check processes, and in order to limit person-to-person contact as much as possible and manage the large increase in requests for authorizations for such transactions and the resulting burdens on the communications technology and public safety staff responsible for reviewing and providing such authorizations, any firearms dealer shall conduct all such transactions by appointment only, shall limit such appointments to a number that will maintain a distance of six feet between any customers and/or staff in a store, including customers and staff conducting such transactions, and shall allow entrance into their establishments only to those customers conducting such transactions.

https://scontent-bos3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/s960x960/90947490_10107026820008262_259906505648635904_o.jp g?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=B4tCcZGCmsQAX9nzZ3U&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=dd10cbcf7353155cdefb4e1db0660b36&oe=5EA45245

psalms144.1
03-27-2020, 11:20 AM
Heard from a co-worker with family on Long Island that their family member, lifelong "no one needs a gun" NYers, bum rushed one of the LGS recently. This family member somehow got convinced that a $900+ Henry "NRA Commemorative" Yellowboy .22 was EXACTLY what they needed to be prepared for the Covid-19 apocalypse in Suffolk County.

On the one hand, I'm disappointed in the LGS for taking advantage of an uneducated consumer. On the other hand... fuck 'em. No one needs a gun until YOU need one - you get what you get.

Glenn E. Meyer
03-27-2020, 11:34 AM
During the Obama panic, I went to the Saxet gun show in San Antonio. A guy was at a table and the seller was pushing for a $2500 1911 Kimber with some kind of ammo paint on it. Said it was only one of two in the USA from a Special Forces order of super duper guns. Better buy before they are banned. Well, the guy did and walked off. The seller took another super duper gun out from under his table.

Carrot Emptier - or something like that.

HCM
03-27-2020, 12:01 PM

0ddl0t
03-27-2020, 12:14 PM
From the title, I thought Bloomberg was the new owner of:

http://www.ebook3000.com/upimg/allimg/190327/0654480.jpg

Totem Polar
03-27-2020, 04:59 PM
This family member somehow got convinced that a $900+ Henry "NRA Commemorative" Yellowboy .22 was EXACTLY what they needed to be prepared for the Covid-19 apocalypse in Suffolk County.

The fact that it’s an NRA commemoration makes me smile a bit.

Caballoflaco
03-27-2020, 05:19 PM
New gun shop rules in CT. BY HIS EXCELLENCY NED LAMONT EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 7N

https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/Office-of-the-Governor/Executive-Orders/Lamont-Executive-Orders/Executive-Order-No-7N.pdf

a. Firearms Transactions by Appointment Only. Effective immediately and through May 15, 2020, unless earlier modified, extended, or terminated by me, because the nature of certain regulated retail transactions, including purchase, sale, and transfer of firearms, ammunition, and their components or supplies, requires the customer's presence inside the business to accommodate certain parts of those transactions or associated background check processes, and in order to limit person-to-person contact as much as possible and manage the large increase in requests for authorizations for such transactions and the resulting burdens on the communications technology and public safety staff responsible for reviewing and providing such authorizations, any firearms dealer shall conduct all such transactions by appointment only, shall limit such appointments to a number that will maintain a distance of six feet between any customers and/or staff in a store, including customers and staff conducting such transactions, and shall allow entrance into their establishments only to those customers conducting such transactions.

https://scontent-bos3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/s960x960/90947490_10107026820008262_259906505648635904_o.jp g?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=B4tCcZGCmsQAX9nzZ3U&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=dd10cbcf7353155cdefb4e1db0660b36&oe=5EA45245

That actually seems like a reasonable balance between protecting public safety and allowing people to buy firearms.

RoyGBiv
07-02-2020, 07:50 AM
From the NRA Patriot Newsletter so, may be slightly biased... :rolleyes:

Not sure if this link works for non-members...
http://graphics.nra.org/patriot/NRA-Patriot-Newsletter_10.pdf

Emphasis mine...

“May’s adjusted NICS background check figures are the highest on record for any May since record keeping began on point-of-sale instant background checks. Americans are being confronted with decisions regarding their personal safety and are voting with their wallets on their right to keep and bear arms. Our recent survey of firearm retailers shows us that 40 percent of these gun buyers are buying a firearm for the first time. Of those first-time gun owners, 40 percent are women and these buyers are overwhelmingly purchasing handguns for personal protection,” said the NSSF in a statement

Leroy Suggs
07-02-2020, 08:06 AM

So I'm there.

My go to rifle is a Winchester 94 30-30. An old one.

rob_s
07-02-2020, 10:24 AM
what's the old joke? A democrat is just a republican that hasn't been mugged yet?

Glenn E. Meyer
07-03-2020, 09:10 AM
The flip was that a Republican is just a Democrat who hasn't been arrested yet. That's the way it goes, sad to say.

Churchill said, that if you are not a socialist when you are young, you have no heart. If you are not a conservative when you are old, you have no mind.

Wisdom in all these sayings.