PDA

View Full Version : So what to do when you can't shoot at ranges or matches.

Glenn E. Meyer
03-19-2020, 11:01 AM
I was reading Claude Werner's https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2020/03/18/snub-dry-practice-during-the-beer-plague/

Now I'm in a double bind. My handguns are in limbo given the now frozen NYS permit process. So no dry fire.

Thus, I have a SIRT Glock 17. I have a hallway of about 7 yards in length to the front door. It has a center peep hole and those decorative panels of rectangles. Thus, I've been putting on a holster and cover garment and drawing and shooting the peep hole (5 shots) or drawing and shooting the corners of the rectangles.

I could put up a target - I did that in a spare room once with one of Ellifritz's targets but the wife did not take kindly to such on the front hallway.

Just a thought. Or I could sit in my chair and bitch on the Internet. I might try it with my unloaded carbine and RDS. No repeated shots though.

Duelist
03-19-2020, 11:12 AM
I’m going out to spots in the desert with a reasonable backstop.

I realize not everyone can do that, though.

Dry fire in the house as well. I do not envy your NY State handgun issues.

Half Moon
03-19-2020, 11:28 AM
For what it's worth my dry fire routine frequently involves wall drills (no target required) and dot torture (designed for short ranges, printable on 8.5 x 11 paper, and easy to hang / remove with scotch tape). I like Claude Werner's suggestion but don't have appropriate targets at hand at the moment.

rd62
03-19-2020, 12:03 PM
I regularly use target pasters to hold a target or index card to a painted surface without issue. Glossier surfaces work best for me and I remove them after the session as opposed to leaving the up all the time.

okie john
03-19-2020, 01:35 PM
I might be able to get up into a tree farm in Washington. We used to be able to do that here with relatively little fuss, but the available areas keep getting farther from town.

Okie John

Bart Carter
03-19-2020, 01:43 PM
I regularly use target pasters...and I remove them after the session as opposed to leaving the up all the time.

Best practice is this. Dry practice only at temporary targets and take them down immediately after practice. Also, completely unload, including any ammo in a pocket, mag pouch, etc., before you go to a designated dry practice spot.

Too many instances, even by experienced shooters, of what could go wrong.

Duke
03-19-2020, 01:52 PM
I go outside....

https://youtu.be/EqLaCp22H58

LittleLebowski
03-19-2020, 01:55 PM
Laughs in suppressor :D

nycnoob
03-19-2020, 02:13 PM
Thus, I've been putting on a holster and cover garment and drawing and shooting the peep hole (5 shots) or drawing and shooting the corners of the rectangles.

Do not forget that you can also "draw to a sight picture" (no trigger press) and also "low ready to sight picture" and "thumb pec index to sight picture". All of these dry fire can be done with a blue gun since no trigger press in involved.

Similarly you can work on multiple targets "eyeball discipline" and ensure that your eyes move first then move the gun and reacquire the sight picture.

Glenn E. Meyer
03-19-2020, 02:16 PM
Got a 'grey' gun 642 for that.

nycnoob
03-19-2020, 02:21 PM
Got a 'grey' gun 642 for that.

Hell we got nothing else to do, (corporate said not to stay logged into the network, as it is overloaded)
so post a photo of your grey gun.

Glenn E. Meyer
03-19-2020, 02:46 PM

'Harmless' set of practice items. Well, you can get bopped with them in class.

Duke
03-19-2020, 03:15 PM
on a serious note...

and feel free to flame me as you'd like.

I just never dry fire cause that is boring ass shit.

Granted I'm surrounded by 1000's of acres of farmland and can step outside and plink anytime.. but if couldn't

well.... I'd say my own "quarantine deadliness" as it were would be kept more current with adding more pull ups, burpees and sprints than doing a thousand dry reps a day of draws or reloads.

So yea if you're of a reasonable proficiency, 2-4 weeks of no range time isnt' going to turn you into hamburger helper hands next time you grab a piece imo.

10mmfanboy
03-19-2020, 04:05 PM
I make ammo and hunt and fish. My on season is usually more fall and winter here, the rest of the year is more labor intensive taking care of animals and mowing and fixing equipment that I need to keep going. I also spend a lot of time seeing how I can minimize any movement or energy that isn't needed. I look at drawing and shooting more like playing guitar or drums. If you watch people play very fast and technical, it looks like they are barely moving because they have eliminated any motion that isn't needed. I break down those movements individually into steps and keep repeating, just like playing guitar.

BN
03-19-2020, 05:01 PM
I'm sitting at home ordering stuff online to stimulate the economy. ;)

And for some of you folks printing special targets for dry fire. Don't you have light switches. Said in a curmudgeonly way. :)

PD Sgt.
03-19-2020, 11:00 PM
I'm sitting at home ordering stuff online to stimulate the economy. ;)

And for some of you folks printing special targets for dry fire. Don't you have light switches. Said in a curmudgeonly way. :)

I am a fan of post-it notes. Or 1” target pasters...

Joe in PNG
03-20-2020, 12:47 AM
:sighs in gunless overseas location:

randyflycaster
03-20-2020, 09:00 AM
Wow! I am counting on my range in Missoula staying open. Shooting is something we can do by ourselves.
Randy

Bart Carter
03-20-2020, 10:52 AM
Dry practice can get pretty boring. I vary mine by using a timer to work on presentation speed and running to different corners in my house and pointing in. Use your imagination.