PDA

View Full Version : .45 ACP Six-Round Moonclips

revchuck38
03-16-2020, 08:41 PM
I need to get some more. What are the forum's preferences?

BN
03-16-2020, 09:00 PM
I think I have a bunch of Ranch that have worked well. I like to have enough that I can load enough at home so I don't need to load at the range or match.

willie
03-16-2020, 09:23 PM
I need to get some more. What are the forum's preferences?

I urge that you figure out the brands that are easier to put rounds in and remove cases from. Some use a special tool.

revchuck38
03-16-2020, 09:29 PM
I urge that you figure out the brands that are easier to put rounds in and remove cases from. Some use a special tool.

I have some that I got from Gil Hebard (I think) that came with a case removal tool. It worked well, and I still have the tool.

Half Moon
03-16-2020, 09:44 PM
I've always used the old fashioned ones Numrich stocks:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/252510B

Never had one of these bend. They can be a pain to load until you break them in a little plus learn the tricks. Loading press in while twisting the cartridge. Unloading use needle nose to pull out while twisting the brass. It actually can be mind clearing once you get in a rhythm.

Half moons load easier but do wear out and deform over time. Those I've stocked up over time by finding the guy with a Mason jar full at gun shows and offering $10 or $20 for the whole jar.

Numrich does sell a tool to Moon and de-moon fulls and halfs. Sort of a hollow rod thing with a handle. Never tried one though.

Back on full moons: alternately, TK custom has a really good reputation and sells a mooning and de-mooning tool that is supposed to be quick and easy. Again never used them. Found what worked for me and have stuck with it for good or I'll.

https://tkcustom.com/

jtcarm
03-16-2020, 10:25 PM
I have the California Competition Works demooner. Pops them out two at a time. Awesome.

I've used a variety of moons, some no-name I bought at a gun show in the 90s, a few TKs (the stamped kind) that must've come with my 625, even a few Navy Arms, also from the 90s.

The great thing about the 625 (or even my 25-2) is it doesn't seem to care. No special charging tool, just lay the cases on the bench & press in to place.

Contrast that with my GP100 10mm running .40s. It's very choosy about moons and requires a moon-charging too.

Dave T
03-17-2020, 10:46 AM
I bought 100 of them back in the 1990s from Ranch Products. Still have all of them except the one the range master stepped on (see my earlier post).

Dave

Speederlander
03-17-2020, 09:31 PM
TK Custom

rathos
03-18-2020, 04:23 AM
I bought a bunch of the wilson combat ones right after I got my 625. They have been pretty good. Also bought one of their demooners it works well.

Baldanders
03-18-2020, 06:20 PM
TK Custom

revchuck38
03-18-2020, 07:35 PM
Thanks, all! I ordered some from TK Custom, I'll see how they work out.

Spartan1980
03-21-2020, 09:52 PM
FYI. The BMT Mooner tools are very high quality and worth their weight in gold. If you aren't loading a lot of rounds for match shooting the tools that TK sells works fine for loading but unloading isn't that great. A piece of pipe with a notch filed across the end is easier and faster. The BMT does both very well and fast.

You'll like the TK clips. All the steel 6 shot .45 clips have worked for me. For .38 the Hearthco are worth the extra coin because reloads are a lot faster with them due to them holding the rounds tightly and not jiggling around. .45 reloads into the gun are fast with them all it seems.

The mooner parts starts at 1:30'ish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApWLSQYAhSE