PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder chamfering - worth it?

shootist26
05-14-2012, 07:54 AM
Does it make that much of a difference when reloading?

I am considering getting my 642 chamfered. It is my BUG/deep concealment. I reload it with speed strips, not speedloaders.

Simon
05-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Does it make that much of a difference when reloading?

I am considering getting my 642 chamfered. It is my BUG/deep concealment. I reload it with speed strips, not speedloaders.

I have not had the old recessed cylinder chamfered didn,t need it. The newer flat cylinder needs it for speed loading wadcutters, not so much for tapered bullets.

66L
05-14-2012, 12:08 PM
For that particular model and method of reloading probably not. Chamfering really works best with speedloaders and moon clips. With speed strips you are only loading one or two rounds at a time and can easily adjust the angle to slide them in.

David Armstrong
05-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Probably not. As others said unless you are using wadcutters and speedloaders it's not that big an issue for most. The only gun I ever had chamfered was my PPC gun. I did find that lightly breaking the edge on some of the early stainless guns helped a bit with the 158 gr LSWC round.

Little Creek
05-15-2012, 12:20 PM
I have had S&W revolvers both ways, chamfered and not. Get it chamfered. You will be glad you did.

JonInWA
05-15-2012, 01:15 PM
I would. It's inexpensive and can greatly facilitate your reloads, especially when using speedloaders.

Best, Jon

TNWNGR
05-17-2012, 02:05 PM
I've never bothered with it and started my LE Career with a S&W M-64, it all comes down to training and practice.

JonInWA
05-17-2012, 05:40 PM
I've never bothered with it and started my LE Career with a S&W M-64, it all comes down to training and practice.

Well, ok, but first, as a LEO your department probably doesn't authorize any modifications to your duty gun, so it may be a moot point for you (if you're still using said M-64), but otherwise, it's certainly one of those minimally intrusive modifications that can ease a high-stress reload process that's inherently more complicated that reloading an autoloader-arguably so even if you're using moon clips.

Sure, massive training (and a more rounded ogive bullet) can minimize issues-but why not remove a potential impediment to reloading in advance-especially if you're using hollowpoint bullets that can catch on a "squared" unchamfered chamber mouth?

Best, Jon

HeadHunter
05-18-2012, 12:09 PM
I've shot J frames quite a bit and think chamfering is a really worthwhile modification. The ROI is quite high.