PDA

View Full Version : N- frame range day

Michpatriot
03-13-2020, 03:58 PM
Well after many years of wondering and fondling I finally said uncle. I bought a 4" 329PD...and a X-frame grip for it. Took it out to the range today after installing the Hogue lay-Z-Boy X-frame grip (I like my thumb just how it is) and put 20rnds of 240gr Mags through it, not bad at all with the goodyears on it. Ran another 50 rounds of 44special mostly double action and after a little tweekin on the rear sight, I am one happy camper! I did have one suprise, before the range trip I cracked open this brand spanking new N frame to install the Plug, I was horrified to find a very sandy like substance all over the guts! I was blown away, grit in a oily paste everywhere. So what's a guy to do? I cleaned it for about a half hour and installed the plug, oiled it up and shut the hood. Still scratching my head on this one, but I guess all is well that ends well..

JTMcC
03-13-2020, 04:20 PM
Cool, mine goes everywhere I go.

Dave T
03-13-2020, 05:46 PM
I have a 4" 325PD I bought used. Initial inspection showed it to be mechanically sound but with an unbelievably heavy trigger. Fooling with springs helped there but after only 24 rounds of non-P+ hand loads the frame under the barrel cracked the length of the barrel threads.

Were I you I would inspect the frame above the crane every time you shoot it and clean it.

Good luck,
Dave

PS: S&W said I could send it back and they would look at it for $60. If it could be repaired I would have to pay for all parts and for labor. I had enough in it already and couldn't see doubling my investment for very little return. It sets in the back of the safe, a reminder of the wonders of Scandium.

Dave

sparkyv
03-13-2020, 05:59 PM
What? Sandy substance? Was this new to you Michpatriot? Not at all acceptable, and good thing you popped open the hood and found that before anything bad happened. BTW, you'll likely need to readjust the sights again when you go back to Magnums.

Well after many years of wondering and fondling I finally said uncle. I bought a 4" 329PD...and a X-frame grip for it. Took it out to the range today after installing the Hogue lay-Z-Boy X-frame grip (I like my thumb just how it is) and put 20rnds of 240gr Mags through it, not bad at all with the goodyears on it. Ran another 50 rounds of 44special mostly double action and after a little tweekin on the rear sight, I am one happy camper! I did have one suprise, before the range trip I cracked open this brand spanking new N frame to install the Plug, I was horrified to find a very sandy like substance all over the guts! I was blown away, grit in a oily paste everywhere. So what's a guy to do? I cleaned it for about a half hour and installed the plug, oiled it up and shut the hood. Still scratching my head on this one, but I guess all is well that ends well..

Michpatriot
03-14-2020, 12:32 AM
Yep I was amazed to find sand or glass bead all over inside, it was like really gritty bore paste. I have read up on the frame cracking on scanadium frames under the barrel on the frame and have a couple of 340s that I keep an eye on, so I looked it over close right off the bat, thanks for the heads up though. If anything goes south I think S&W will still take care of original owners under warranty. There are some good accounts on these 329s, some guys have shot a boatload of rounds through theirs. The blast shield is definitely a consumable part of you shoot a lot full house 44.

paul105
03-14-2020, 09:08 AM
My all day every day carry gun for the better part of a decade here in MT.

https://photos.imageevent.com/paul105/hobby/large/329%20033.jpg

If used frequently with magnum level loads they will require more than normal repair/maint. Had three, still have two. Still use as backup when bow hunting elk. More recently gone to the 2.75" M69 for range use and general woods carry.

Recently picked up the shorter version with the stainless cyl (it weighs an once or so more than the 4" with the ti cyl).

https://photos.imageevent.com/paul105/hobby/large/Alaskan%20Backpacker%20with%20RB%20Hogue.jpg

Wouldn't be without one. The Hogue 500 X frame grips make all the difference for me.

Paul

jtcarm
03-14-2020, 02:12 PM
I have a 4" 325PD I bought used. Initial inspection showed it to be mechanically sound but with an unbelievably heavy trigger. Fooling with springs helped there but after only 24 rounds of non-P+ hand loads the frame under the barrel cracked the length of the barrel threads.

Were I you I would inspect the frame above the crane every time you shoot it and clean it.

Good luck,
Dave

PS: S&W said I could send it back and they would look at it for $60. If it could be repaired I would have to pay for all parts and for labor. I had enough in it already and couldn't see doubling my investment for very little return. It sets in the back of the safe, a reminder of the wonders of Scandium.

Dave

Every time I start to miss the one I traded away, I find a story like this about scandium.

And just like that, I'm over it.

GJM
03-14-2020, 02:42 PM
Between my wife and I, we have about a dozen Scandium .44/.41 revolvers. Most were lightly tuned by Hamilton Bowen with a DX front sight and action work. Because of the difference in POI, and the necessity for a different height front sight, I have dedicated .44 Special and Magnum 329 revolvers. I even have a sub three inch barrel 329, that I shoehorned Hogue K/L boot style grips on, as a fanny pack gun. Not something you want to shoot much, though.

I tried but stopped using the big X grips, because they are soft enough that they grab the web of my right hand, and cut me with heavy loads. I prefer the regular Hogue N frame grips, with the finger grooves buzzed off, as they allow the grip to slide in my hand during recoil, and don’t cut me. My serious load is the Garrett Defender, which was developed for four inch 629 and 329 revolvers.

The HK USP FS with Super ammo has obsoleted all my use of 329 revolvers, for a multitude of reasons.

wvincent
03-14-2020, 04:10 PM
GJM, how are your Scandium .41's on recoil?
I keep telling myself I want one, but the snappiness factor is an unknown to me.

Lester Polfus
03-16-2020, 01:19 AM
GJM, how are your Scandium .41's on recoil?
I keep telling myself I want one, but the snappiness factor is an unknown to me.

Not GJM, but I've shot one.

I'm a big dude, with big hands. I'm not terribly recoil sensitive but I found the Scandium .41 I shot to be unmanageable. I've slept a few times since, but I think it was a "Night Guard?"

I think "scandium" and ".41 Magnum" are the absolute worst combination. If you buy a .44 Magnum, you can put specials in it. Unless you handload, there are no .41 Specials to be had.

deflave
03-16-2020, 05:49 AM
My all day every day carry gun for the better part of a decade here in MT.

https://photos.imageevent.com/paul105/hobby/large/329%20033.jpg

Paul

That's a great pic.

paul105
03-16-2020, 12:18 PM
Thanks. Target butt on our outdoor archery range -- walking course thru timber, open parks, hills/draws and a couple of small drainages. Deer, elk, moose, coyotes, mtn lion & bear on property (have personally seen the first four. 28 targets on front side and 28 on the back (think archery golf course) - takes about 1 hour per side. Also have 3d targets. All in all a great place to take your bow and dog. In the past (getting a bit mobility challenged w/age) used it 3 or 4 days a week from April thru end of Oct.

Paul

Michpatriot
03-16-2020, 07:29 PM
Paul I've read your detailed writings on the 329PD and they actually tipped me over the edge, I've wanted one for years. I've been handloading for years mostly rifles and straight wall, as far as the erosion factor in the blast shield what did you finally settle on as your happy medium? I'm thinking of doing a few workups using Accurate #9 under 240gr-255gr hardcast, I'm probably looking to be in the neighborhood of 1100fps give or take depending on how the accuracy is or where it shows the best groups. I use a modified Lee collet crimp on 357Mag to keep em put in my 340pd, I disassembled the die and took a few thou off the crimp end face and opened up the distance between the fingers to get a deeper narrow crimp like on Buffalo Tims ammo. This modified die has served me very well and I have one on order for 44 that I will do the same treatment to when it arrives. Any thoughts on Unique as I have plenty and it works well for my needs in 357 so it's also going to get tried..might work since I'm not going to make moonrockets , just looking for an accurate 1100fps in a mag case. Probably could do it easy in a special but then I don't like scrubbing forever with a nylon brush if I go back and forth between special and mag. Kinda want to stay with mag cases.. Anyhow what say you?

paul105
03-17-2020, 07:59 AM
Paul I've read your detailed writings on the 329PD and they actually tipped me over the edge, I've wanted one for years. I've been handloading for years mostly rifles and straight wall, as far as the erosion factor in the blast shield what did you finally settle on as your happy medium? I'm thinking of doing a few workups using Accurate #9 under 240gr-255gr hardcast, I'm probably looking to be in the neighborhood of 1100fps give or take depending on how the accuracy is or where it shows the best groups. I use a modified Lee collet crimp on 357Mag to keep em put in my 340pd, I disassembled the die and took a few thou off the crimp end face and opened up the distance between the fingers to get a deeper narrow crimp like on Buffalo Tims ammo. This modified die has served me very well and I have one on order for 44 that I will do the same treatment to when it arrives. Any thoughts on Unique as I have plenty and it works well for my needs in 357 so it's also going to get tried..might work since I'm not going to make moonrockets , just looking for an accurate 1100fps in a mag case. Probably could do it easy in a special but then I don't like scrubbing forever with a nylon brush if I go back and forth between special and mag. Kinda want to stay with mag cases.. Anyhow what say you?

Using .44 MAGNUM CASES, you can seat/crimp above the front drive band on 240 - 260gr SWCs to the same OAL as the .44 special. You can use .44 special data -- check out the 22KPSI and 25KPSI .44 special loads in the linked Brian Pearce article.

**** CAUTION - DO NOT SEEP SEAT WHEN USING STANDARD .44 MAGNUM LOAD DATA -- REDUCED POWDER CAPACITY WILL CAUSE PRESSURE TO INCREASE SUBSTANTIALLY. ******

http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org/44_Special_Articles/Brian%20Pearce%20on%20the%2044%20Special.pdf

You get a powder capacity the same as the .44 special, greater neck tension (helpful to mitigate bullet pull), and won't have to scrub chamber.

One of my favorite loads in .44 mag cases is 17.5 gr A2400, Lyman 429244 SWCGC, seated/crimped above front drive band for an OAL of 1.565". I've also used commercial 240gr SWCs, and the Keith 429421. With the 429244, this chronos around 1,150 fps from my 4 1/4" M69, so it may be a bit more velocity than you are looking for -- 16.5gr might be a good starting point.

Brian Pearce lists 8.5gr of Unique and the 429244 in 44 special cases at 1,040 fps in a 4 1/4" FA97 -- deep seated in .44 Mag cases with 240 - 260 SWCs should get you close to the same velo -- this is in BPs 22KPSI category.

BP also lists some loads with Accurate 9 in the above linked article.

Unique might be the best powder to help keep blast shield erosion to a minimum.

Hope some of this helps.

Paul

Michpatriot
03-17-2020, 10:54 AM
Paul this absolute gold. Thank you for the response and great info. The basic idea for my inquiry is to limit the beating to the revolver but still find a happy medium so I can shoot it a bunch with a standardized handload. I will probably end up with a second 329 like I did with my 340PD, one for the range and one for carry. That way I can wring one out without worry if I have to get it serviced.

Thanks again

Joel in Michigan

deflave
03-17-2020, 02:30 PM
Thanks. Target butt on our outdoor archery range -- walking course thru timber, open parks, hills/draws and a couple of small drainages. Deer, elk, moose, coyotes, mtn lion & bear on property (have personally seen the first four. 28 targets on front side and 28 on the back (think archery golf course) - takes about 1 hour per side. Also have 3d targets. All in all a great place to take your bow and dog. In the past (getting a bit mobility challenged w/age) used it 3 or 4 days a week from April thru end of Oct.

Paul

Nice.

deflave
03-17-2020, 02:37 PM
Using .44 MAGNUM CASES, you can seat/crimp above the front drive band on 240 - 260gr SWCs to the same OAL as the .44 special. You can use .44 special data -- check out the 22KPSI and 25KPSI .44 special loads in the linked Brian Pearce article.

**** CAUTION - DO NOT SEEP SEAT WHEN USING STANDARD .44 MAGNUM LOAD DATA -- REDUCED POWDER CAPACITY WILL CAUSE PRESSURE TO INCREASE SUBSTANTIALLY. ******

http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org/44_Special_Articles/Brian%20Pearce%20on%20the%2044%20Special.pdf

You get a powder capacity the same as the .44 special, greater neck tension (helpful to mitigate bullet pull), and won't have to scrub chamber.

One of my favorite loads in .44 mag cases is 17.5 gr A2400, Lyman 429244 SWCGC, seated/crimped above front drive band for an OAL of 1.565". I've also used commercial 240gr SWCs, and the Keith 429421. With the 429244, this chronos around 1,150 fps from my 4 1/4" M69, so it may be a bit more velocity than you are looking for -- 16.5gr might be a good starting point.

Brian Pearce lists 8.5gr of Unique and the 429244 in 44 special cases at 1,040 fps in a 4 1/4" FA97 -- deep seated in .44 Mag cases with 240 - 260 SWCs should get you close to the same velo -- this is in BPs 22KPSI category.

BP also lists some loads with Accurate 9 in the above linked article.

Unique might be the best powder to help keep blast shield erosion to a minimum.

Hope some of this helps.

Paul

"That's gold, Jerry! Gold!"