PDA

View Full Version : .45 ACP HST, WTF?

revchuck38
03-13-2020, 03:05 PM
I just got some of the standard velocity stuff in from Target Sports and it's apparently the updated version. The bullets appear to be the same as the older version, but they've gone to SMALL PRIMERS!!!! Friggin' idjits. Fired brass from this ammo will go straight to the trash.

ETA: It's got blue sealant around the primer, but none visible around the bullet.

Keith E.
03-13-2020, 04:49 PM
I just got some of the standard velocity stuff in from Target Sports and it's apparently the updated version. The bullets appear to be the same as the older version, but they've gone to SMALL PRIMERS!!!! Friggin' idjits. Fired brass from this ammo will go straight to the trash.

ETA: It's got blue sealant around the primer, but none visible around the bullet.

Hey Joe, why you no likey small pistol primer? Serious question, BTW. :)

Thanks,
Keith

revchuck38
03-13-2020, 05:04 PM

Thanks,
Keith

I load my own .45 ACP practice ammo on a Dillon 550, a progressive press. .45 ACP usually has large primers and I have my priming system set up that way. If a case with small primer pockets sneaks in there, it won't take the large primer and I have to stop, dig out the offending case and throw it out. It's a shame, too, because Federal brass is among the best.

Paul D
03-13-2020, 05:11 PM
I used to throw out the small primer 45 cases with my Dillon 650. Because I'm a cheap bastid, I hand prime them, shove them back and continue to load them.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FRCBS-90200-Hand-Priming-Tool%2Fdp%2FB07PQ7P5TN&psig=AOvVaw30SNIUeXOOjpr2PgJCe8zj&ust=1584223703625000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCNCf5a67mOgCFQAAAAAdAAAAABADhttps ://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51hFSzk-0eL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

revchuck38
03-13-2020, 05:36 PM
Paul D - I've got one of those...somewhere...:rolleyes:

Hambo
03-13-2020, 08:37 PM

Thanks,
Keith

I give all the small primer .45 Auto to a buddy who likes them. The reason I don't them is because I have a shitload or LP brass. I'm not going to switch primer systems in my Dillon for the small amount of SP I end up with.

andre3k
03-13-2020, 09:50 PM
I just seperate them and load as usual,I have dedicated presses for each primer size so it's not a big deal for me.

Corse
03-13-2020, 10:28 PM
I just separate them.

I hope federal isn’t going over to small primers on all their 45 ammo.

MandoWookie
03-14-2020, 08:03 PM
I just separate them.

I hope federal isn’t going over to small primers on all their 45 ammo.

For me it would be nice if they did. It would simplify the logistics of me jumping into loading .45. But then again, I'm just starting.

daved20319
03-15-2020, 12:33 AM

If you're just going to toss it in the trash, send it my way, I'll be happy to pay your postage, as well as a little something for your time. I load on a single stage press and prime by hand, so sorting for primer size is no biggie to me, for range ammo both work just fine. Later.

Dave

medic15al
03-17-2020, 06:50 PM
My gripe on small primer was that I had a Lightweight Government Model that impacted a bit high on the primer, and a SP may not have been consistent. I've sold it since and my Commanders are cantered, but still.... I have a large supply of LP primers still stashed.

revchuck38
01-26-2021, 04:36 PM

I just got my five-box order of .45 ACP American Eagle hardball from Federal. They've gone to small primers in that, too. :( Looking at the bright side, it's probably the freshest ammo I've ever bought.

Elwin
01-26-2021, 05:12 PM
I also ran into small primers in the two boxes of Federal harball I was able to snag locally a while ago. It wasn't American Eagle-branded but I think that's what it was - it seems it was just hastily packed into plain white boxes instead.

Borderland
01-26-2021, 06:01 PM
I used to just throw it away. I don't get enough small primer 45 ACP from the range bucket to matter. Now I'm going to save it because even brass might become useful to somebody, even a few hundred cases. I've got enough brass to last the rest of my life. Sold some and given some away and I still have plenty.

I've noticed that people are now picking up their brass where they can. Several ranges around here won't let you pick it up. I belong to a private range and even people there are asking for my brass now.

Whirlwind06
01-26-2021, 07:12 PM
Seems most Blazer .45 is SP now and I see some Federal and a couple of other bands. I sort it out and toss it into a bin. I'm loading more .45 ACP right now because I have more LP primers on hand. If all went to SP it would be easier.

OT, but I guess at some point in the past, .357 and maybe .38 was an LP as well. I'm sure the reloaders of that era were just as unhappy with the mixed bass. :)

Borderland
01-26-2021, 09:59 PM
Seems most Blazer .45 is SP now and I see some Federal and a couple of other bands. I sort it out and toss it into a bin. I'm loading more .45 ACP right now because I have more LP primers on hand. If all went to SP it would be easier.

OT, but I guess at some point in the past, .357 and maybe .38 was an LP as well. I'm sure the reloaders of that era were just as unhappy with the mixed bass. :)

That must have been awhile ago because I have no recollection of that. I started loading 357 about 50 years ago. That doesn't mean I know everything about it tho. It's been around a lot longer than me.

revchuck38
01-26-2021, 10:17 PM
That must have been awhile ago because I have no recollection of that. I started loading 357 about 50 years ago. That doesn't mean I know everything about it tho. It's been around a lot longer than me.

I believe I've read that the original .357 Magnum loads were done with large pistol primers, which would be back in the '30s.

spyderco monkey
01-26-2021, 11:14 PM
Small Primer Master Race.

-Simplifies manufacturing logistics

-Simplifies reloader logistics (Everything from .25ACP to .45ACP uses the same primer.)

RevolverRob
01-26-2021, 11:34 PM
Small Primer Master Race.

-Simplifies manufacturing logistics

-Simplifies reloader logistics (Everything from .25ACP to .45ACP uses the same primer.)

This ^^^

When I run out of large pistol primers, I'll look to swap all my LPP .45ACP brass for SPP .45ACP.

Then I just need to find some .30-30 winchester brass that uses small rifle primers and I'll never buy anything besides small pistol magnum primers ever again.

JHC
01-27-2021, 07:51 AM
I used to throw out the small primer 45 cases with my Dillon 650. Because I'm a cheap bastid, I hand prime them, shove them back and continue to load them.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FRCBS-90200-Hand-Priming-Tool%2Fdp%2FB07PQ7P5TN&psig=AOvVaw30SNIUeXOOjpr2PgJCe8zj&ust=1584223703625000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCNCf5a67mOgCFQAAAAAdAAAAABADhttps ://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51hFSzk-0eL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

How do you like that gizmo? I think it might be worth having for flexibility. And RCBS. No more Lee stuff for me.

revchuck38
01-27-2021, 07:56 AM
How do you like that gizmo? I think it might be worth having for flexibility. And RCBS. No more Lee stuff for me.

I've got one of those and it works well. I've only used it for rifle loads which I do on a single-stage press.

I agree that the RCBS version is better than the Lee. When I need dies, though, I go with Lee.

Hambo
01-27-2021, 08:53 AM
they've gone to SMALL PRIMERS!!!! Friggin' idjits. Fired brass from this ammo will go straight to the trash.

A friend of mine loves Federal small primer .45. He probably ate paint chips as a kid, but I indulge him by giving that shit to him.

I use mine for small quantity loading. One problem is that it's finicky with smaller cases (.32/.327).

Paul D
01-27-2021, 09:03 AM

I like it a lot. It is simple and reliable. For 45's, I use magnum small pistol primers that I have around and it ignites just fine. I reserve the normal SPP for my 9mm.

Borderland
01-27-2021, 10:40 AM

I have several of those, one for LP and one SP. The beauty is I don't have to reconfigure the tool when I switch. I load everything using those and a SS press. There are two models. One uses shell holders and one doesn't. I set aside my shell holder model for the universal model which doesn't need a shell holder. It works fine for most cartridges but I noticed it doesn't like my 32 L brass for some reason. I'm not sure it's much of an improvement over the $50 model.

https://www.rcbs.com/priming/hand-held/universal-hand-priming-tool/16-90201.html

Jim Watson
01-27-2021, 10:53 AM

I had in my odd brass assortment a .38 Special case with large primer. It wasn't weathered, somebody must have turned up old stock and shot it. I never saw a large primer .38 or .357 when I started shooting them in the late 1960s.

In those days, it wouldn't add much to the reloaders' problems.
Phil Sharpe distinguished between corrosive and noncorrosive primers, and flat vs domed cups.

Earlier this year, I saw where a guy found an old Frankford Arsenal .45 that would not accept a large primer and a small primer "just fell out." Yup, FA .45s at one time had a .204" primer to prevent getting rifle primers in pistol ammo and vice versa. In its day, you could get the ammo and primers cheap through NRA-DCM.