PDA

View Full Version : S&W 66-8 vs 686+ 3" vs 686+ 2.5"

Crow Hunter
03-09-2020, 05:21 PM
Asking for a friend.

He has decided that he wants a round gun for fun and possibly CCW/ definite woods carry. Most likely because we went out shooting and he shot my 66-8 Combat Magnum.

He asked me what my opinion was but I really don't have that much relevant experience with carrying a revolver.

He is an odd duck and probably isn't reading this, (but if you are Ricky, you ARE odd :rolleyes:) and only wants to buy new. So no pre-lock or anything like that. I even offered to sell him my LNIB 66-8 for a really good price, since he liked it so much but, nope, he wants a new one. Like I said, odd.

Since there are several really smart round gun guru's here. Which would you personally rather have and why?

66-8 (SKU 10061)

686+ 3" bbl (SKU 164300)

686+ 2.5" bbl (SKU 164192)

Bonus question:

He also expressed interest in the 686 Performance Center version (SKU 170346) but I think the price tag might have dissuaded him. I told him I didn't think the PC was worth the premium over the standard 2.5" 686+ mentioned above, but I could see that look I his eye that he didn't necessarily believe me.

So what do you guys/gals think?

FPS
03-09-2020, 05:56 PM
Daily carry I would want the smaller K frame. Woods carry I would probably want the L frame in 3 inch.

03RN
03-09-2020, 06:02 PM
Besides 7 rds im not sure the l frame offers anything over the k frame

Stephanie B
03-09-2020, 06:16 PM
Besides 7 rds im not sure the l frame offers anything over the k frame

I can't speak to the new K frames, but between a prelock 66 and a 686, the felt recoil is more for a 66 when firing magnum loads.

For a woods gun that's carried OWB, I'd think that a 4" would be pisser.

Crow Hunter
03-09-2020, 06:36 PM
I can't speak to the new K frames, but between a prelock 66 and a 686, the felt recoil is more for a 66 when firing magnum loads.

I can't say that I have ever read that particular vernacular usage of that term but I think I follow the gist.

03RN
03-09-2020, 06:37 PM

4" M686 39.7oz

4" M66 36.9oz

3oz difference +/-.

Zeke38
03-09-2020, 07:02 PM
I'd advise the 66-8. Has the longer ejector rod, heavier barrel than a 19, which it replaced, stainless steel and plenty potent and short barreled. He has shot yours and he likes it.

Crow Hunter
03-09-2020, 07:12 PM
I'd advise the 66-8. Has the longer ejector rod, heavier barrel than a 19, which it replaced, stainless steel and plenty potent and short barreled. He has shot yours and he likes it.

You would think that, but considering he liked mine, and shot it well and could get it for much less than new.....:rolleyes:

I think he is attracted to the 7 rnd capacity more than anything although I did mention the full length ejector rod, which I think is why he put the 3" 686+ on his list versus just jumping in and buying the 686 Performance Center.

Which, knowing him, is exactly what he is trying to convince himself to pay the extra for. I am sure, if you guys told me that the 686+ 2.5" was the cat's meow, then he would immediately go out and order the Performance Center version because it has to be better than the standard 2.5" version.

Any of them will have to be ordered. Which is one of the reasons he is trying to get more info. The only DA revolvers you will find for sale locally are Taurii and the occasional 642/442. S&W revolvers just don't sell around here. Of course, around here, Glocks are considered "too expensive" by LOTS of people. :confused:

mmc45414
03-09-2020, 07:52 PM
686+ 3" bbl (SKU 164300)
The 686+ 3" is probably the next revolver I am going to buy. I thought I wanted the 66, have a 3" SP-101 so the differentiation might be too narrow. I think they 7 rounds might be fun to have. I think 3" is great, so I gravitate to it.

If he is getting it as primarily a carry gun the 66 might be better since he doesn't have anything else to worry about overlapping with.

Johnny Walker
03-09-2020, 08:32 PM
Asking for a friend.

He has decided that he wants a round gun for fun and possibly CCW/ definite woods carry. Most likely because we went out shooting and he shot my 66-8 Combat Magnum.

He asked me what my opinion was but I really don't have that much relevant experience with carrying a revolver.

He is an odd duck and probably isn't reading this, (but if you are Ricky, you ARE odd :rolleyes:) and only wants to buy new. So no pre-lock or anything like that. I even offered to sell him my LNIB 66-8 for a really good price, since he liked it so much but, nope, he wants a new one. Like I said, odd.

Since there are several really smart round gun guru's here. Which would you personally rather have and why?

66-8 (SKU 10061)

686+ 3" bbl (SKU 164300)

686+ 2.5" bbl (SKU 164192)

Bonus question:

He also expressed interest in the 686 Performance Center version (SKU 170346) but I think the price tag might have dissuaded him. I told him I didn't think the PC was worth the premium over the standard 2.5" 686+ mentioned above, but I could see that look I his eye that he didn't necessarily believe me.

Try going to a local range, rent a L frame variant and shoot it. Or a Ruger GP100... see if he likes the larger frame over the K frame.... my two cents....

Crow Hunter
03-10-2020, 09:58 AM
Try going to a local range, rent a L frame variant and shoot it. Or a Ruger GP100... see if he likes the larger frame over the K frame.... my two cents....

Unfortunately, in my area, there are no ranges that rent anything like that.

Our one local indoor range has 4 guns to rent. A G19, a G43, a Rossi .38 and, I kid you not, a .22 Lorcin/Bryco/Jennings something of that sort.

The pickings are very slim around here. :)

MK11
03-10-2020, 01:54 PM
I've got some time on a two-inch 686 +. It's a good shooter but with all the weight in the back of the gun it's odd to carry. I've seen it actually tip out of a well worn OWB holster. I'm sure proper holster choice would mitigate that but for a woods gun, something to consider.