PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Acro P1 mounting failures?.

Erick Gelhaus
03-09-2020, 03:00 PM
Is anyone seeing them?

This came up in a discussion with a podcast host and trainer who saw "a" Acro P1 with the Atei shimsight pop off the pistol the first time he saw one in class. It has afected his view. This is the same set-up I am using on my primary work gun. I'm torquing mine in place using the data that came with the optic.

I'm just curious if anyone else is seeing issues with the Aimpoint footprint.

SeriousStudent
03-09-2020, 07:30 PM
I have not. I have a P1 that is direct-milled onto a G45. I have put almost a case of Speer 147-grain FMJ through it, and it's currently in the hands of a friend in Kentucky. I think he's got about 900 rounds through it?

I just texted him, to see if he has had any problems with it. His response was to offer to trade me his Wllsonized Beretta Vertec. Again.

I guess that means no.

CLaw
03-09-2020, 08:38 PM
What podcast and trainer if I may ask?

Have you reached out to ATEI to see if he heard about the incident and if there are other examples of it happening?

Is anyone seeing them?

This came up in a discussion with a podcast host and trainer who saw "a" Acro P1 with the Atei shimsight pop off the pistol the first time he saw one in class. It has afected his view. This is the same set-up I am using on my primary work gun. I'm torquing mine in place using the data that came with the optic.

Mike C
03-09-2020, 09:22 PM
Erick Gelhaus, I'd be concerned if it was a slew of trainers and not what sounds like to be a sample of one. Additionally there could be many reasons for failure, more than likely it is user error. Personally, I'd mostly be concerned about battery life because screw changing batteries every 30-60 days. I am not trying to be snarky but the sky isn't falling because one trainer doesn't like what he saw. If he is unaware of the circumstances surrounding the failure I would be questioning his judgement particularly if he is jumping to conclusions and putting all ACRO's in the same basket. Fair warning, since I have no frame of reference this post it is worth what you paid for it. Actually, double since my wife brought me home a huge bottle of Woodford Reserve and I seem to have fallen face first in it tonight. To be moderately helpful I'd look at NickDrak's post about mounting optics he seems to be having great luck, (and made an excellent tutorial) as does GJM, well at least with mounting, not so much with battery life, or optic life but; in all fairness he seems to shoot a metric shit ton.

Erick Gelhaus
03-09-2020, 09:51 PM
I was curious if there had been others. If there haven't been any others, then it's what I figured it was ... end-user error. Sometimes though, you have to ask to see others are seeing what someone says drives their decision against something.

Thanks.

Mike C
03-09-2020, 10:01 PM
Solid point, I'd still check out NickDrak's thread if you haven't. I've found it very helpful.

einherjarvalk
03-10-2020, 02:29 AM
The only issue I've seen with ACRO mounting failures was an MOS plate dying on him with the factory B&T mount and screws. Happened to Steve Fisher and sort of happened to me too. It wasn't the ACRO screw that failed, however, it was the screws B&T provided to mount the adapter plate. Evidently CHWPS has their own mounting plate design now (http://www.chpws.com/product/aimpoint-acro-glock-mos-adapter-plate-pre-order-coupon-code-check-email), which Fisher switched to off the B&T plate, but I frankly fail to see any difference between the two.

I personally had my B&T mount plate come loose in the first 400 rounds or so with my ACRO, at which point I pulled the screws and replaced with fresh Glock MOS plate screws. The screws that had come loose broke shortly after while I was toying with them in my hand, suggesting they were brittle to start with and I made the right call in pulling them, but, again, not a failure of the ACRO mount itself.

user12358
03-10-2020, 07:36 AM
I have 7455 documented rounds on my ACRO without a mounting failure. I am using an Aimpoint MOS plate with McMaster-Carr M3 screws (94414A712) instead of the provided hardware. Vibratite VC-3 on both M3 screws and the Aimpoint crossbolt. All torqued to 18 in-lb. Full disclosure, the optic did need to go back to Sweden because of moisture incursion so the optic was dismounted at 5205 rounds but the mounting solution listed before has been solid.

Wayne Dobbs
03-10-2020, 09:39 AM
Try these screws as an alternate to OEM for Glock MOS:

Arizona Industrial Hardware part #M3C6KF67Z (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=M3C6KF67Z) , M3 X 0.5 thread, 6mm length; aihfasteners.com

McMaster-Carr part #94414A712 (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=94414A712) , M3 X 0.5, 6mm length; mcmaster.com

Blackbag
03-10-2020, 11:52 PM
Has anyone tried the Tango Down Aimpoint ACRO MOS plate? It is made of steel, that is melonited and has vibra-tite treated screws in the package. And it is reasonably priced at $29.99.

TCinVA
03-11-2020, 07:17 AM
Is anyone seeing them?

I've had the ACRO mounted to a Gen5 G17 MOS for north of 12,000 rounds with no problems. I don't see too many ACROs in the wild, but the ones I've seen aren't flying off of pistols.

There are a lot of variables involved in red dots and anyone running around making broad pronouncements about a particular optic based on seeing one specimen do something is rather absurd. It's one thing if it is your personal gun and you followed all the right steps to get it on the gun, but on a student gun?

That's a bit much.

Wayne Dobbs
03-11-2020, 08:15 AM
Has anyone tried the Tango Down Aimpoint ACRO MOS plate? It is made of steel, that is melonited and has vibra-tite treated screws in the package. And it is reasonably priced at $29.99.

Those plates from Jeff and Erin Cahill (TD owners) are very much GTG. The screws in that package are the same ones I mentioned in my post on fasteners above (although if you order from AZ Industrial they won't be VC-3 dipped).

Blackbag
03-11-2020, 09:20 AM
Those plates from Jeff and Erin Cahill (TD owners) are very much GTG. The screws in that package are the same ones I mentioned in my post on fasteners above (although if you order from AZ Industrial they won't be VC-3 dipped).

Thank you, sir! I think I will try it, as the package puts everything you need together.

BigT
03-11-2020, 09:27 AM
I've had the ACRO mounted to a Gen5 G17 MOS for north of 12,000 rounds with no problems. I don't see too many ACROs in the wild, but the ones I've seen aren't flying off of pistols.

There are a lot of variables involved in red dots and anyone running around making broad pronouncements about a particular optic based on seeing one specimen do something is rather absurd. It's one thing if it is your personal gun and you followed all the right steps to get it on the gun, but on a student gun?

That's a bit much.

As I understood the post that sparked the OP (assuming it was the one I think it was, which I'm pretty confidant it was), his concern was more that with the shim sight if your optic does leave the gun you have no BUIS, not that Acros fly off guns willy nilly. Hence him not being a fan of the Shim sight concept.

joshs
03-11-2020, 10:39 AM

I don't have enough rounds through my Acro on a TD plate, but I've had no issues so far.

GJM
03-11-2020, 10:56 AM
I have been using the TD plate on three different Glock MOS pistols, Gen 4 and 5, and so far have had no issues with the plate or the Acro cross bolt loosening. I am surprised, though, that someone hasn't developed a plate that mounts a spare battery on each side.

Erick Gelhaus
03-11-2020, 11:58 AM
How many of these plates that are being mentioned are milled by Atei for their Shim Sight?

SoCalDep
03-12-2020, 11:45 PM
A partner of mine had the ACRO shear mounting screws at 8,500 rounds, then 6,000 rounds later. The replacement mounts came loose (actually two of them) very quickly. I witnessed it. The ACRO is badass. One needs to be very careful with mounts and screws.

I’m going to get an ACRO and I’m confident in it. It’s going on a Unity Tactical ATOM slide, but if it was going on a Glock MOS I’d use Wayne Dobbs’ suggestion and get those screws. On an M&P CORE the jury is still out about the best mount. Some have found the Aimpoint version to work very well and other have had issues.

user12358
03-13-2020, 07:27 AM
A partner of mine had the ACRO shear mounting screws at 8,500 rounds, then 6,000 rounds later. The replacement mounts came loose (actually two of them) very quickly. I witnessed it. The ACRO is badass. One needs to be very careful with mounts and screws.

For clarity, when you are talking about mounting screws are you referring to the screw that tightens the clamp on the ACRO or are you talking about the screws going into the slide? Do you happen to know the torque values applied to the screws during mounting?

SoCalDep
03-13-2020, 11:16 PM
Screws going into the slide. I’ll check to see what torque values he used.

Sero Sed Serio
03-15-2020, 10:56 PM
Try these screws as an alternate to OEM for Glock MOS:

Arizona Industrial Hardware part #M3C6KF67Z (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=M3C6KF67Z) , M3 X 0.5 thread, 6mm length; aihfasteners.com

McMaster-Carr part #94414A712 (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=94414A712) , M3 X 0.5, 6mm length; mcmaster.com

The links lead me back to a P-F page. Could you please repost?

user12358
03-16-2020, 07:18 AM
The links lead me back to a P-F page. Could you please repost?

https://www.mcmaster.com/94414a712

javemtr
03-16-2020, 07:19 AM
Go here: mcmaster.com
Input part number in search field at top of page: 94414A712

Wayne Dobbs
03-16-2020, 07:54 AM
Thanks, been out of touch the past three days.

Blackbag
03-16-2020, 11:23 PM
My ACRO arrived today. Got the Tango Down MOS plate on Friday and my Ameriglo sights arrive later this week. Probably going to install everything at the armory at work on my Glock 17 MOS, next shift. I have vibra-time VC-3 for the sights and plate. I have a couple questions about the installation.

1. Should I apply vibra-tite to the Aimpoint mounting screw on the ACRO?

2. What torque values should I be setting my torque wrench to when I tighten the plate screws and the ACRO mounting screw?

I want to avoid problems and do the installation right the first time around.

Thanks

John

Wayne Dobbs
03-17-2020, 07:13 AM
My ACRO arrived today. Got the Tango Down MOS plate on Friday and my Ameriglo sights arrive later this week. Probably going to install everything at the armory at work on my Glock 17 MOS, next shift. I have vibra-time VC-3 for the sights and plate. I have a couple questions about the installation.

1. Should I apply vibra-tite to the Aimpoint mounting screw on the ACRO?

2. What torque values should I be setting my torque wrench to when I tighten the plate screws and the ACRO mounting screw?

I want to avoid problems and do the installation right the first time around.

Thanks

John

John,

I haven't noticed a need to seal threads on the mounting screw, but nothing will be harmed if you do.

As for torque, I simply tighten screws to a very snug tight. I'm guessing it's about 16-18 in.-lbs. Degrease the screw holes in the slide first with brake cleaner, Gunscrubber, etc.

Blackbag
03-17-2020, 08:25 AM
John,

I haven't noticed a need to seal threads on the mounting screw, but nothing will be harmed if you do.

As for torque, I simply tighten screws to a very snug tight. I'm guessing it's about 16-18 in.-lbs. Degrease the screw holes in the slide first with brake cleaner, Gunscrubber, etc.

Thank you so much! Mr. Dobbs, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

John

Blackbag
03-24-2020, 09:29 PM
Mounted my Tango Down plate after work today. Was careful to degrease the MOS screw holes on my 17 and went ahead and also degreased my striker unit too as it had oil on it. The Tango Down plate and screws were of high quality and installation went as expected. Just need to install and sight in the Ameriglo suppressor sights, then I will install the ACRO and sight it in.

Savage Hands
02-18-2021, 09:41 AM
From the recommendation of others I ordered a TD Acro plate, this is my first go into the pistol red dot world.

Kram
02-18-2021, 10:17 AM
From the recommendation of others I ordered a TD Acro plate, this is my first go into the pistol red dot world.

Great choice! Follow the instructions posted by Wayne Dobbs and you will not have any issues. I am absolutely loving my Acro and ordering a second.