PDA

View Full Version : Rate My Covid-19 PSA

Tensaw
03-07-2020, 02:08 PM
So first, I was all , “Meh...”. Now I’m like, “Oh, Shiste!” This thanks to our CV mega-thread. I hit up leadership at my church this morning asking them to entertain officially adopting elbow bumps in lieu of handshakes and hugs; having ushers open and close doors; and modifying the collection of offering so we are not, literally, passing a plate to every single person in the congregation. Leadership is on board so, yay.

Since then, I have been re-packing some wheel bearings on a trailer which was some good pondering time. I am strongly considering sending something out to my circle of friends and asking them to pass it along to others. Ya’ll Nephrology check this out and tell me if I am too far off base here.

Guys, here is the thing on the Coronavirus: IT AIN’T ABOUT YOU. Most of us are healthy and able to weather catching this mess just fine (probably). Good. But, you can pick up the virus and walk around for two weeks shedding the virus the whole time and potentially infecting those you come into contact with - either directly or indirectly. You don’t have to feel sick to be contagious! And it’s not only about not passing this directly to the next person, it’s potentially about the person two or three people downstream who *are* compromised and won’t survive the virus. Again, this ain’t about you. So, I’m asking you, please - maintain good hygiene and social distance from others until this thing runs it’s course. If this ends up being a bunch of hand waving over nothing, we have lost very little. If it turns out to be as bad as some have advertised, you could potentially save a lot of people a lot of grief. Try not to be the person who passes this stuff around.

scw2
03-07-2020, 02:26 PM
So first, I was all , “Meh...”. Now I’m like, “Oh, Shiste!” This thanks to our CV mega-thread. I hit up leadership at my church this morning asking them to entertain officially adopting elbow bumps in lieu of handshakes and hugs; having ushers open and close doors; and modifying the collection of offering so we are not, literally, passing a plate to every single person in the congregation. Leadership is on board so, yay.

Fist bumps may be slightly safer since your faces stay further away. I'd also ask how they plan to make sure communion doesn't result in a super spreading event, educate the congregation about staying home even if symptoms are very mild and have recently subsided, and also look into livestreaming the services.

With regards to the note to friends, I've heard so many people mention the low overall rates. I'd also mention that if they know people they care about >60 years old, the odds also go up for worse outcomes. Even if they have no one they care for, there is a chance they'll need ER services due to random emergencies. You want to avoid the hospital system crashing, so the whole point now is to flatten out the curve so that even if total #s of patients is the same, you spread out the burden over a longer time so we can stay below the threshold at which our entire healthcare system collapses and gets us Wuhan 2.0

deflave
03-07-2020, 02:42 PM
If you can't maintain composure during this, you can't maintain composure.

Get a grip.

Tensaw
03-07-2020, 04:18 PM

Get a grip.

Bwahahahaha!!! Bravo! I see what you did there. Perfect use of irony to demonstrate the mindset of those who are either still uninformed or so unbelievably self-absorbed that they are willing to just do business as usual with no regard for the well being of others. Thank you so much for that. You made your point perfectly and I will be sending my PSA out to my friends forthwith! Warmest regards!

deflave
03-07-2020, 08:17 PM
Bwahahahaha!!! Bravo! I see what you did there. Perfect use of irony to demonstrate the mindset of those who are either still uninformed or so unbelievably self-absorbed that they are willing to just do business as usual with no regard for the well being of others. Thank you so much for that. You made your point perfectly and I will be sending my PSA out to my friends forthwith! Warmest regards!

I'm sure your POC's will appreciate your PSA.

They may even make note of the sender so they can recall how "forward thinking" you are the next time a crisis knocks on their proverbial door.

Maple Syrup Actual
03-07-2020, 08:38 PM
If you actually want feedback on the PSA, here you go:

That's a block of text and people will F-read it: first line, scan down the left hand column of words, and a random line somewhere in the middle.

The three words to remember when writing stuff to catch people's attention are Light, Tight and Bright.

So if I were to write something like this, here is very roughly what it would look like:

IT'S NOT YOU, IT'S ME

YOU are a strapping young lad!

YOU will never die!

YOU will never get sick!

YOU are a literal ADONIS!!!

I am older.

I don't have the immune system I used to.

The germs you give me when you shake my hand will bounce off your mighty skin. But I will get sick.

Please remember my frailty Hercules! I need to treasure what few years I have left!

****Now more than ever, everyone, please be careful not to spread disease - even a common cold can lay out someone with immune deficiencies.****

5pins
03-07-2020, 08:49 PM
If people haven't changed their habits by now then a note from you won't help. The best thing you can do is wash your hands and take care of yourself.

TheNewbie
03-07-2020, 10:07 PM
I think not shaking hands because you are worried about the virus is probably uncalled for.

However, I don't shake hands in general because people are nasty. :D

If people are not self aware enough to be clean and considerate on their own, I am not sure your note will help. Give it a try though.

Maple Syrup Actual
03-07-2020, 11:24 PM

Get a grip.

Oh also I forgot to say that I am really disappointed that this wasn't a flu joke.

Caballoflaco
03-07-2020, 11:28 PM
Oh also I forgot to say that I am really disappointed that this wasn't a flu joke.

Well, la gripa is the flu in Spanish... and now Blues is shedding a tear for a pun that went unpunned.

Maple Syrup Actual
03-07-2020, 11:33 PM
Well, la gripa is the flu in Spanish... and now Blues is shedding a tear for a pun that went unpunned.

Yes, and in both modern French and archaic English it's grippe. There really was a lot of potential there.

Nephrology
03-08-2020, 01:02 AM
I'm sure your POC's will appreciate your PSA.

They may even make note of the sender so they can recall how "forward thinking" you are the next time a crisis knocks on their proverbial door.

See everyone, this is what happens when your mom drops you on the head too many times as a kid!

Since then, I have been re-packing some wheel bearings on a trailer which was some good pondering time. I am strongly considering sending something out to my circle of friends and asking them to pass it along to others. Ya’ll Nephrology check this out and tell me if I am too far off base here.

Guys, here is the thing on the Coronavirus: IT AIN’T ABOUT YOU. Most of us are healthy and able to weather catching this mess just fine (probably). Good. But, you can pick up the virus and walk around for two weeks shedding the virus the whole time and potentially infecting those you come into contact with - either directly or indirectly. You don’t have to feel sick to be contagious! And it’s not only about not passing this directly to the next person, it’s potentially about the person two or three people downstream who *are* compromised and won’t survive the virus. Again, this ain’t about you. So, I’m asking you, please - maintain good hygiene and social distance from others until this thing runs it’s course. If this ends up being a bunch of hand waving over nothing, we have lost very little. If it turns out to be as bad as some have advertised, you could potentially save a lot of people a lot of grief. Try not to be the person who passes this stuff around.

Anything you can do to raise awareness of the fact that is is an imminent threat to community health is useful. I don't think anything you've said is alarmist. The average person is really fucking stupid and a good chunk of people do not seem to be taking this nearly seriously enough, so everything helps.

Also, again, pls, everyone stop buying surgical masks.

deflave
03-08-2020, 05:32 AM
See everyone, this is what happens when your mom drops you on the head too many times as a kid!

Be sure to include a YouTube link for hand washing tutorials. Those never get old.

Hambo
03-08-2020, 05:52 AM
PF should have instituted a moratorium on new members back in January.

It's never too late for a retroactive quarantine.

Tensaw
03-08-2020, 06:24 AM

Anything you can do to raise awareness of the fact that is is an imminent threat to community health is useful. I don't think anything you've said is alarmist. The average person is really fucking stupid and a good chunk of people do not seem to be taking this nearly seriously enough, so everything helps.

Also, again, pls, everyone stop buying surgical masks.

Yeah, so my thought is that, once again, the .gov has gotten this wrong and it is up to us on the individual level to do what we can to mitigate this.

Thanks for the input guys.

Oldherkpilot
03-08-2020, 07:33 AM
Here’s my PSA ( https://pistol-forum.com/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=18798). You’re welcome.

Very clever!

blues
03-08-2020, 07:51 AM

Here’s my PSA ( https://pistol-forum.com/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=18798). You’re welcome.

Very clever!

I missed the remark (and opportunity for a pun) as I had already activated Tom's PSA before it was a thing, several days ago.

My mother, to this day, always tells me that the reason I believe I saw an angel, who admonished me about my behavior when I was a youngster, was because I was in the throes of the grippe.

But, 60 years later I still believe I know better. (Though I haven't necessarily always heeded the advice.)

Good luck to all.

UNK
03-08-2020, 08:09 AM
Be sure to include a YouTube link for hand washing tutorials. Those never get old.

5pins
03-08-2020, 08:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IisgnbMfKvI

LittleLebowski
03-08-2020, 08:24 AM

Tensaw
03-08-2020, 12:55 PM
Seems legit. :D