PDA

View Full Version : Police 870 Magnums

UNK
03-06-2020, 10:09 PM
Already posted this in shotgun thread

DSG has 870 Police Magnum trade in

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?41163-DSG-870-POLICE-MAGNUMS&p=1005225&viewfull=1#post1005225

Arbninftry
03-06-2020, 11:03 PM
Not that great of a deal.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/remington-870-express-synthetic-12-gauge-shotgun#repChildCatid=3107905

0ddl0t
03-06-2020, 11:19 PM
The 870 express is the entry level model.

Here is list of differences between Remington 870 Express and Remington 870 Police. Most of the parts which are used on Remington 870 Police are easy to get and install on the Express version of a shotgun.

870 Police shotguns go thru a special 23 station check list – ranging from visual inspection, functional testing, test firing, and final inspection.
All Police shotguns are assembled in a “special build area” at the plant in Ilion, NY. This section is secured and serves only to build LE and Military shotguns, with the same factory personnel working at that assignment each shift.
All parts that enter the “special build area” are visually inspected by hand to ensure top quality and functionality.
Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.
A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive trigger pull between 5 and 8 lbs.
A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber. This ensures positive feeding when using heavier payload rounds.
Police shotguns do not have an ISS (Integrated Safety System) which is a locking mechanism on the safety of commercial shotguns. This type of locking mechanism can cause delay to an officer who needs the weapon but does not have the appropriate key. LE shotguns have the standard, proven, cross bolt safety.
The fore-end on the Express model is longer and not compatible with many police shotgun vehicle racks.
The Police shotguns utilize the heavy duty SPEEDFEED Stocks and Fore-ends.
The Express model will not allow for the addition of an extension tube without physical modification to the tube and barrel, which can nullify the warranty.
The Express model has a BEAD BLAST BLUE finish while the Police models utilize either High Luster bluing or Parkerization.
The Express model utilizes a synthetic trigger housing while the Police models use a compressed metal housing.
The Police shotgun barrel is locked down with a “ball detent” system in conjunction with the magazine cap vs. a lesser grade “synthetic magazine spring retainer” lock down as used on the Express system.
The receivers used in Police guns are “vibra honed” to smooth out rough finishes and remove burrs before parkerization or bluing.
Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal cast which are utilized on the Express models.

https://www.rem870.com/2011/06/21/differences-between-remington-870-express-and-remington-870-police/

Arbninftry
03-06-2020, 11:41 PM
Cool

HopetonBrown
03-06-2020, 11:58 PM
Not that great of a deal.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/remington-870-express-synthetic-12-gauge-shotgun#repChildCatid=3107905I love my 870 Police. Would never own an Express.

MistWolf
03-07-2020, 01:08 AM
Perfect for the upcoming Corona PockyClypse

willie
03-07-2020, 03:55 AM
If a police trade in 870 is beat up, then $300 is too much. A new Mossberg 590 for a tad more is a much better deal. With the AR platform becoming standard for departments and with the man in the street watching trends, shotguns are losing the appeal that they once had. This fact also means they are losing value. Just as most new law enforcement troops are not trained on revolvers, eventually departments that issue rifles only will cease shotgun training. I am a giant 870 fan but would not pay a premium price for a beater. Instead I would buy a Mossberg. People criticize Expresses. Want a good one? Look for an older version with a machined extractor. My opinion is a very slight roughness is the only difference between them and the Wingmaster--other than finish and birch stock. The action roughness soon disappears.

Hambo
03-07-2020, 05:39 AM
My opinion is a very slight roughness is the only difference between them and the Wingmaster--other than finish and birch stock. The action roughness soon disappears.

Not so fast. My 870P has fired, extracted, and ejected some really shitty Eurotrash ammo as well as everything else I've run through it. I recently got some Remington Gun Club (steel base, not brass) hulls and my Express won't extract them even with a steel extractor installed. Polishing chambers helped one barrel, but not another. I tested it with empty hulls after polishing, and needed a heavy cleaning rod down the barrel to hit the hull base and start extraction. Mortaring the gun would not move them. That shit isn't going to smooth itself out.

willie
03-07-2020, 07:14 AM
For 30 years I did business with a dealer who dealt only with used guns. During this time I bought and used numerous 410, 20 ga, and 12 ga Expresses. I never had a bad specimen. At the same time I bought and still have several fine Wingmasters. The only Remington pump that I bought new and had trouble with was a police model that I bought through the prison system. It was double feeding. One of the armorers fixed the problem in 5 minutes. I will say this. Buy an older police model or regular Wingmaster if you can. If not, try an older Express but test it. If it functions properly in test firing, then it should continue to do so.

When I mentioned finding an Express with a machined extractor, I cited the extractor for two reasons. One is that it signifies early production models with better quality control. The other is I think that a machined steel extractor is better than a MIM one. That's my bias.

Tensaw
03-07-2020, 08:18 AM
Heh. My Mossbergs have big, beefy, *dual* extractors that grab the hull and chuck it into the next county regardless of how easy I run the action. This is one of the thing I like most about them. That, and it’s almost impossible to cause a “double feed” by short-stroking the pump. (You can manage to dump a shell out of the bottom loading port, but it won’t tie up the gun at all.) I have come to not be a huge fan of the tang safety, preferring the placement of the 870 safety, but I can live with that. I have really enjoyed my Mossberg shotguns - and it doesn’t hurt that they are comparatively affordable. I wish they would quit with all the chainsaw-type bullshit, but I guess derp-money spends like the rest of it.

I think Mossberg does a pretty decent job on the engineering and manufacturing side of things (at least currently). But they really go after the bottom-feeders of the firearms community with some of the gimmicks they bolt on to their guns. On the other hand, they got Jerry Miculek so there’s that... :cool:

willie
03-07-2020, 08:31 AM
I also appreciate Mossberg pumps. If I had one that lost or dropped a shell from time to time, I would replace the shell latches or interrupters. I forget the terms Mossberg uses.

That Guy
03-07-2020, 08:03 PM
I love my 870 Police. Would never own an Express.

The first shotgun I ever fired was a military issue 870 Police Magnum. After having been in the reserves for a while, I started periodically looking at for sale 870 Police models, but could never find one. I know they were sold on the civilian market as well, but nobody is letting go of theirs! Finally after years of searching I found an 870 Police model that was in mint condition, the previous owner being a collector. It's not a Police Magnum, so uses only 70mm shells, no 76mm shells allowed, and it's build on a beautifully blued Wingmaster frame. Neither of which makes a lick of difference to how I use the gun, but I must admit I am occasionally slightly annoyed at how the frame does not have that matt parkerizing and a Police Magnum stamp... Which is really weird considering how beautiful the finish of the gun is.

But yeah, I love my 870 Police as well. Turned down a whole bunch of Expresses until I finally found mine.

Perfect for the upcoming Corona PockyClypse

Speaking of which, I just today found an ammo can full of buckshot that I forgot I had. Free ammo from yesterday's me, yay!