PDA

View Full Version : HiTS First Responder Pistol-DFW May 16/17

Dagga Boy
03-04-2020, 04:29 PM
Likely our only DALLAS First Responder Pistol this year.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hits-first-responder-pistol-may-2020-tickets-97864692931

FNFAN
04-19-2020, 05:12 PM
Likely our only DALLAS First Responder Pistol this year.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hits-first-responder-pistol-may-2020-tickets-97864692931

Still on and where do you suggest for lodgings?

SeriousStudent
04-19-2020, 06:04 PM
See you there, bringing a relative. :)

TXBK
04-19-2020, 06:22 PM
The oilfield isn’t dead enough for me to make those dates. At this point, I won’t wish for that to change. I’m long overdue to make one, though.

paherne
04-19-2020, 10:53 PM
This is a bargain price for two days of instruction from real-deal dudes. I'm just a little freaked out by flying. Not the cost of flying, or a room or meals. I'm off that weekend, too, for my birthday. Decisions, decisions...

FNFAN
04-19-2020, 11:04 PM
This is a bargain price for two days of instruction from real-deal dudes. I'm just a little freaked out by flying. Not the cost of flying, or a room or meals. I'm off that weekend, too, for my birthday. Decisions, decisions...

Just dooooo it!

Dagga Boy
04-19-2020, 11:31 PM
Still on and where do you suggest for lodgings?

Yes. I talked to Wayne today. We likely will not be able to use the classroom but we have a shaded area and will maintain safe practices. Check on hotels in the Carrollton or N IRVING area. I am not home and not sure what is open right now. It is a very accessible range and close to both airports.

FNFAN
04-20-2020, 12:29 AM
Yes. I talked to Wayne today. We likely will not be able to use the classroom but we have a shaded area and will maintain safe practices. Check on hotels in the Carrollton or N IRVING area. I am not home and not sure what is open right now. It is a very accessible range and close to both airports.

Very good. Looking forward to it! Got a room at the Courtyard.

revchuck38
04-20-2020, 09:27 AM
I'm in. Looking forward to meeting all y'all. :)

ETA: Is I-635 a toll road? Some maps show it that way and some don't.

dontshakepandas
04-20-2020, 09:33 AM
I'm trying to see if I can make this work.

Is AIWB a no go? The description only mentions OWB.

FNFAN
04-20-2020, 09:54 AM
I'm off that weekend, too, for my birthday. Decisions, decisions...

If we guarantee to sing Happy Birthday would that be a positive or negative factor in your decision....?!?;)

Tom Givens
04-22-2020, 10:28 PM
I've taken this class, along with several of my staff. Highly recommended.

Wayne and Darryl do a first rate job.

Dagga Boy
04-23-2020, 12:44 AM
I've taken this class, along with several of my staff. Highly recommended.

Wayne and Darryl do a first rate job.

Thanks Tom...coming from you it means a lot.

David S.
04-23-2020, 06:16 AM

AIWB has been allowed in the past. I ASSume that policy hasn't changed.

Wayne Dobbs
04-23-2020, 04:00 PM

While we have a preference for OWB in this class, we do allow AIWB as long as we see dedicated safety practices around the use of same.

dontshakepandas
04-23-2020, 04:41 PM
While we have a preference for OWB in this class, we do allow AIWB as long as we see dedicated safety practices around the use of same.

Thanks Wayne. It's looking like I'm not going to be able to make it this year, but I'll keep an eye out for next year. Maybe I'll even buy an OWB holster before then.

SeriousStudent
04-23-2020, 06:00 PM
Thanks Wayne. It's looking like I'm not going to be able to make it this year, but I'll keep an eye out for next year. Maybe I'll even buy an OWB holster before then.

If you can't go, feel free to send Stella. We'll treat her right.

I'll even bring her a bacon/egg/cheese breakfast taco from Rudy's. :)

dontshakepandas
04-23-2020, 06:09 PM
If you can't go, feel free to send Stella. We'll treat her right.

I'll even bring her a bacon/egg/cheese breakfast taco from Rudy's. :)

I keep telling her to get a job so she can chip in on ammo and training, but she can't find anybody to pay her to chase balls in the back yard.

Dagga Boy
04-28-2020, 06:59 PM
I'm in. Looking forward to meeting all y'all. :)

ETA: Is I-635 a toll road? Some maps show it that way and some don't.

It has express lanes you can pay for but won’t need on the weekend.

We normally assess day with OWB and then allow AIWB day two if the student looks to be safe and competent. Day one sets the fundamentals of the draw stroke and day two outs that to work.

CalAlumnus
05-04-2020, 06:16 PM
Thinking of signing up for this... How large is the class? Closer to 10 or to 30?

revchuck38
05-04-2020, 06:39 PM
For the locals - I've got a room at a Comfort Suites just north of the intersection of I-635 and US-75. Is this a decent area, or do I need to pack the 870?

Dagga Boy
05-04-2020, 10:23 PM
For the locals - I've got a room at a Comfort Suites just north of the intersection of I-635 and US-75. Is this a decent area, or do I need to pack the 870?

Not sure, but thankfully on a weekend the commute should be doable. It’s a ways away.

David S.
05-05-2020, 07:22 AM
Thinking of signing up for this... How large is the class? Closer to 10 or to 30?

I'm not privy to the current signups, but their class sizes are generally closer to 10 than 30.

Do it.

David S.
05-05-2020, 07:40 AM

Based on a quick google search for hotels in the area,
There's a few hotels/motels near Dallas North Tollway and Beltline Rd that are at/under $60 per night. Embassy Suites near Grapevine Mall (north of DFW) and several hotels on the northeast corner of DFW airport are hitting in that price range too.

revchuck38
05-05-2020, 08:07 AM
Based on a quick google search for hotels in the area,
There's a few hotels/motels near Dallas North Tollway and Beltline Rd that are at/under $60 per night. Embassy Suites near Grapevine Mall (north of DFW) and several hotels on the northeast corner of DFW airport are hitting in that price range too.

Thanks! Found a place on Beltline. Bummer that I'll have to subsist on take-out, I was hoping to score some good BBQ.

RoyGBiv
05-05-2020, 10:57 AM
Thanks! Found a place on Beltline. Bummer that I'll have to subsist on take-out, I was hoping to score some good BBQ.

Hard 8 is 10 minutes east of the range on Beltline.
https://g.page/coppellhardeight?share

dontshakepandas
05-05-2020, 12:13 PM
Hard 8 is 10 minutes east of the range on Beltline.
https://g.page/coppellhardeight?share

You definitely won't be disappointed with Hard 8. Make sure you get some banana pudding.

CalAlumnus
05-05-2020, 12:16 PM

If you find yourself down in the hipstery Bishop Arts, Lockhart Smokehouse is solid. It's on the TM Top 50 list.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/list/the-50-best-bbq-joints-in-the-world/lockhart-smokehouse/

willie
05-05-2020, 12:33 PM

Unless things have changed, HW 75 in this area is good. I have had many medical appointments nearby. But remember that proximity to 635 puts you next to much traffic. I have noticed when staying in hotels that none have security. With business being slow, the clerk may let you park in front. You might ask. He also might give you a room in the front and not in the back.

Sauer Koch
05-06-2020, 12:58 PM
I know Texas is full of great BBQ joints, but we went to train with DB back in November, and that’s where he recommend that we go, and it was amazing! A very cool place, and the ribeye was delicious!! Highly recommended.

SeriousStudent
05-07-2020, 01:36 PM
I believe Hard-8 has announced that they are again opening for dining-in service.

We'll make it happen.

Wayne Dobbs
05-07-2020, 03:05 PM
I know Texas is full of great BBQ joints, but we went to train with DB back in November, and that’s where he recommend that we go, and it was amazing! A very cool place, and the ribeye was delicious!! Highly recommended.

We take it as high honor that someone from NOLA has such great things to say about our food!

Sauer Koch
05-07-2020, 03:12 PM
We take it as high honor that someone from NOLA has such great things to say about our food!

I was born in Amarillo, but we moved here shortly afterwards. BBQ has really taken off here in the last 6-7 years, and it’s become a favorite of mine, along with TexMex.

I’m just looking forward to getting back up there to train with you guys...well, and to gorge on more BBQ at Hard 8! :)

revchuck38
05-07-2020, 07:20 PM
I believe Hard-8 has announced that they are again opening for dining-in service.

We'll make it happen.

Hell yeah!

FNFAN
05-07-2020, 07:40 PM
This gig's getting better and better! I love good BBQ!

Dagga Boy
05-11-2020, 04:17 PM
Someone from Oklahoma must have signed up.....prepare for shooting in the rain. Hopefully, the forecast will change by the weekend.

revchuck38
05-11-2020, 06:38 PM
Someone from Oklahoma must have signed up.....prepare for shooting in the rain. Hopefully, the forecast will change by the weekend.

If it ain't rainin'...:)

ETA: Are the barbershops open in Texas? It's been a month and a half since I've been to one.

David S.
05-11-2020, 09:01 PM

ETA: Are the barbershops open in Texas? It's been a month and a half since I've been to one.

Barbershops are indeed open. Hopefully the mad rush will be done by this weekend.

Dagga Boy
05-11-2020, 09:02 PM

You ll have to ask someone else. I have no idea about hair cuts. I will cut it for you if you want into a real hair style that is easy to maintain at home.

revchuck38
05-11-2020, 09:05 PM
You ll have to ask someone else. I have no idea about hair cuts. I will cut it for you if you want into a real hair style that is easy to maintain at home.

Does it include a can of Johnson's Wax and a buff cloth?

CalAlumnus
05-13-2020, 08:49 AM
Has a details email gone out on this? Never been to this range before; not sure where to meet, etc.

Wayne Dobbs
05-13-2020, 10:40 AM
Has a details email gone out on this? Never been to this range before; not sure where to meet, etc.

Dagga Boy

Dagga Boy
05-13-2020, 10:47 AM

Likely tomorrow. Weather is looking like an issue and I want to cover that. PM me an email and I can send an old one that will have most of what you need.

Le Français
05-13-2020, 05:15 PM
This class is still on despite the weather, correct?

revchuck38
05-15-2020, 08:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQuY7dHfWrM

I should be on the road in about an hour.

Wayne Dobbs
05-15-2020, 10:51 AM
This class is still on despite the weather, correct?

Yes, it is.

Le Français
05-15-2020, 03:24 PM
Yes, it is.

Thanks; unfortunately I won’t make it. I hope it goes well.

SeriousStudent
05-16-2020, 10:24 PM
There were one or possibly two drops of rain today, but the class went really well. Everyone was in a positive mood and did well. I think a lot of folks were happy to be out training. Lots of good questions from good people

BBQ is tomorrow night. Remember the new motto of the Texas Department of Tourism: "Risk it for the brisket."