PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Slide for Sight Install

KentF
03-15-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm getting ready to ship my slide to Heinie's to have new sights installed and I have some questions for those of you who have done this before.

How do you pack the slide. I was thinking of just wrapping it in bubble wrap.

Do you insure it when you ship and if so, for how much?

Do you request a delivery confirmation?

Is there a preferred method of shipment? Fedex, UPS, USPS Priority?

Thanks.

orionz06
03-15-2011, 04:55 PM
I will oil the hell out of it, zip lock it, then bubble wrap it in an insured USPS flat rate box.

willowofwisp
03-15-2011, 05:30 PM
If i am sending something important I normally bubble wrap it and then make sure its surrounded with packing peanuts or newspaper. I would then send it UPS with insurance and of course tracking.

I woudl probably over insure it too, incase they loose it, I don't see to many spare p30 slides for sale online.

DocGKR
03-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Bubble wrap, ship in a FEDEX box insured for the cost of the pistol.

Whenever possible, I no longer use UPS given the numerous problems we have had with them.

JDM
03-15-2011, 06:44 PM
What do you say when they ask about what you are shipping? My stock answer has always been antique lamps or precision machine parts.

VolGrad
03-15-2011, 07:28 PM
What do you say when they ask about what you are shipping? My stock answer has always been antique lamps or precision machine parts.

Shipping slides is not prohibited by USPS or any of the shippers so there's really no reason for them to care what is in the package.

I have only mailed a slide once. I wrapped bubble wrap around it then secured it with a rubber band. I put it in a USPS Priority flat rate box, insured for cost of a replacement slide (I think it was around $175), then requested delivery confirmation for my sanity.

I wouldn't worry about oil and such either. It will be in transit for no more than a couple of days and will not be in the elements.

JV_
03-15-2011, 07:32 PM
USPS generally doesn't ask what's in the box, they just confirm it's not hazardous or restricted.

If you don't ship by USPS and are directly asked what's in the box, I would suggest telling the truth. I doubt 99% of the folks would know anything about a "steel slide".

VolGrad
03-15-2011, 07:34 PM
USPS generally doesn't ask what's in the box, they just confirm it's not hazardous or restricted.

If you don't ship by USPS and are directly asked what's in the box, I would suggest telling the truth.

This. Lying about the contents or playing coy with the wording (calling it "machine parts" or whatever people think is clever) will likely negate any claim should the item be lost or damaged in transit. Fedex or UPS will prob tell you to take a hike if you try to claim a loss on something you lied about to begin with.

JV_
03-15-2011, 07:44 PM
I forgot to mention: If you open up your own Fedex or UPS account, you can print the label online and just hand it to a clerk at any shipping center. There are no questions to be answered, and filling out the description (accurately) is even less of an issue.

If you're a USAA member, you can get a discount on your Fedex account so all of your shipments are much cheaper. For those that are interested: Log in -> Products & Services -> Shopping & Discounts -> Shipping

JDM
03-15-2011, 07:45 PM
This. Lying about the contents or playing coy with the wording (calling it "machine parts" or whatever people think is clever) will likely negate any claim should the item be lost or damaged in transit. Fedex or UPS will prob tell you to take a hike if you try to claim a loss on something you lied about to begin with.

Never thought about that. I was always more worried about people stealing what was in the box because they could.

jslaker
03-15-2011, 07:52 PM
I was always more worried about people stealing what was in the box because they could.

That's what adequately insuring and properly declaring the package is for.

DocGKR
03-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Uh...there are no legal restrictions on shipping slides.

We have our own Fedex account, so no one ever asks what is inside the box. However, if they did, I would answer, "a slide".

BWT
03-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Exactly, the only reason you might run into an issue is if it's a private shop the business owner might get upset.

Like I had a Lady making a box for me to ship my SGL21-71 back to Arsenal (Dude... I went to four or five businesses, including the Fedex Hub, looking for a box to fit it), she told me, they weren't allowed to ship any firearm parts, even a firing pin.

She was the manager. But it was also a small U.P.S. Satellite shop.

I've mailed two guns and used Fedex both times. Had a good experience both times. Cheaper than I though too.

I happen to have the receipt next to me, I mailed a 12.1 lb package, insured for $800, ground and it was $24.67.

John Ralston
03-17-2011, 06:12 PM
If you're a USAA member, you can get a discount on your Fedex account so all of your shipments are much cheaper. For those that are interested: Log in -> Products & Services -> Shopping & Discounts -> Shipping

What is USAA?

JV_
03-17-2011, 06:15 PM
What is USAA?
https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/products_services_main?wa_ref=pub_global_products_ and_services

JM Campbell
03-17-2011, 11:09 PM
https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/products_services_main?wa_ref=pub_global_products_ and_services

USAA headquarters are huge....several city blocks, I work across the street from it and curse the morning and evening traffic...for a insurance co their employees can't drive for crap always accidents at the security gates.

KentF
03-18-2011, 08:22 AM
I wanted to thank everyone for their comments. I ended up shipping my slide USPS Express on Wednesday. After cleaning the gun, I lightly lubricated the slide and wrapped it in bubble wrap before putting it in the box. I insured it for what I paid for the entire gun.

vaspence
03-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Let us now when you get it back I'm curious as to the turn around time.

KentF
03-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Will do. I'm curious from those who have sent a slide to Heinie's... Do they notify you before they return the slide, or does it just show up on your door step?