PDA

View Full Version : anyone here really familiar with Nashville, TN?

VolGrad
05-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Planning a weekend trip with the wife, no kids.

I think she wants to stay in the area near Tootsie's Lounge, the Ryman, etc. The plan is to visit some country hot spots (maybe tour RCA & the Country Music Hall of Fame, we've done the Ryman in the past), eat some good food, and have drinks over some live music. We'd like to stay as close to all this as possible so we can walk everywhere.

I'd love some recommendations for hotels that are not overly outragous in price. While "cool &nd romantic" would be great, "clean & comfortable" are acceptable.

Any recs on restaurants, places to have a drink & listen to music, etc. are also appreciated.

A few I think are in the area and look decent ... thoughts on any of these good/bad?
Courtyard by Marriott Nashville Downtown
Hotel Indigo Downtown
Renaissance Nashville Hotel
Loew's Vanderbilt Hotel Nashville

EMC
05-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Planning a weekend trip with the wife, no kids.

I think she wants to stay in the area near Tootsie's Lounge, the Ryman, etc. The plan is to visit some country hot spots (maybe tour RCA & the Country Music Hall of Fame, we've done the Ryman in the past), eat some good food, and have drinks over some live music. We'd like to stay as close to all this as possible so we can walk everywhere.

I'd love some recommendations for hotels that are not overly outragous in price. While "cool &nd romantic" would be great, "clean & comfortable" are acceptable.

Any recs on restaurants, places to have a drink & listen to music, etc. are also appreciated.

A few I think are in the area and look decent ... thoughts on any of these good/bad?
Courtyard by Marriott Nashville Downtown
Hotel Indigo Downtown
Renaissance Nashville Hotel
Loew's Vanderbilt Hotel Nashville

What, you're not going to try the Grand Ol' Oprey hotel (http://www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylord-opryland/nashville-tn-entertainment-attractions/grand-ole-opry/)? Then you get all the drink & listen all in one place! J/K. I've been to the city a few times, but not recently enough to make solid recommendations. Nashville's a cool town, enjoy.

VolGrad
05-11-2012, 01:24 PM
What, you're not going to try the Grand Ol' Oprey hotel (http://www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylord-opryland/nashville-tn-entertainment-attractions/grand-ole-opry/)? Then you get all the drink & listen all in one place! J/K. I've been to the city a few times, but not recently enough to make solid recommendations. Nashville's a cool town, enjoy.

The Opryland Hotel is a pretty cool place. You could go there and never leave and still have a great weekend. However, been there, done that.

WDW
05-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Roosters has great food & live music
Blackstone Brewery on West End is really good
Flemings & Ruth's Chris are some higher end steakhouses
Brick Tops is a really good restaraunt
Any of the hotels you mentioned are great
The Hermitage Hotel is really nice though, a little pricey though

John Hearne
05-11-2012, 03:54 PM
My wife and I spent a good number of nights in Nashville while dealing with her surgery. We always enjoyed the Hotel Indigo. With that said, it's not real close to the pedestrian heavy night club area. It's walkable, but not out the front door or anything.

I have a few recommendations for restaurants. The first is the Gerst Haus which offers awesome German cuisine. The food is very good and the atmosphere is very laid back. The second is Sitar Indian. The food is excellent and they have a great value of a lunch buffet. My other favorite is the Blackstone Brewery. I don't drink beer but the food was excellent.

VolGrad
05-11-2012, 04:48 PM
My wife and I spent a good number of nights in Nashville while dealing with her surgery. We always enjoyed the Hotel Indigo.

Which Indigo? There are two in Nashville.

Keep the ideas coming. Thanks.

Jason F
05-13-2012, 09:55 AM
The Hermitage Hotel is really nice though, a little pricey though

I stayed here a few years ago when I was in town for a quick photoshoot, and my wife came with me since I was working over a weekend. She really enjoyed the hotel for the 2 nights we were there (I was gone most of the time working, so I didn't see much other than the lobby). She didn't have any trouble walking around the pedestrian areas that it seems like you guys are after, I think it was only 2 blocks or so off the main drag (having a brain fart moment, but you know which street I'm referring to).

It's probably pricey, but worth looking in to for proximity and the "it's a nice place" factor.

OTOH, I do like Hotel Indigo's, but I've yet to stay at either one in Nashvegas.

Robert Mitchum
05-14-2012, 12:01 AM
I am 35 miles from Nashville only been in TN, 5 years but have friends who know that area very well.
One is the sound man for Kenny chesney he will be back in TN, next week and I will ask him.
Send me a message and I will give you my number and if you need anything when you come to TN,
give me a call...

VolGrad
05-14-2012, 06:39 AM
Send me a message and I will give you my number and if you need anything when you come to TN,
give me a call...
PM sent. Thanks.

Robert Mitchum
05-14-2012, 01:19 PM
No problem Bro..
I sent you my number...

David Armstrong
05-14-2012, 11:48 PM
I've stayed at the Renaissance, nice place. Nashville struck me as pretty easy to get around no matter where you were, as they have a very good trolley bus system.

jeffreywt
05-15-2012, 07:35 PM
I stayed a couple of nights at the Embassy Suites on Broadway. It was a decent room and had a good restaurant (Omaha Steaks, I think). Not too far from downtown if you want to walk or you can take a cheap cab to wherever you like.

I was bored and wanted to visit a gun store. Once off the clock, Ryan, who was the valet manager at the hotel (this was Feb '12 so he probably still works there) was kind enough to drive me up to Guns and Leather in Greenbrier, TN. They have a nice selection in that shop. Ryan got about $80 in tips from me over the weekend but still, a nice gesture to accommodate me during his personal time.

PS - If you want a fancy dinner, the fried lobster at The Stockyard restaurant is highly recommended!

VolGrad
05-29-2012, 07:37 AM
AAR on the trip from this past weekend.

We ended up at the Hampton Inn & Suites downtown based on a recommendation from some I talked with locally. Other than construction in the immediate area (some traffic flow issues but no noise at all) it was a great place. The rooms were very nice and clean, good (free) breakfast, and EXCELLENT location. Our room had a nice jacuzzi tub large enough for 3. Of course, my wife thought just the 2 of us was plenty so the third spot went unoccupied. :cool:

Couple of places I'd suggest folks check out;

The Tavern Midtown for brunch. This is a trendy restaurant/bar'ish place a few blocks off Music Row. I had the Singapore Stir Fry and can't say enough about how great it was. Looks like a great place to hang out and watch a game as well. They had some great "bar food" items on the menu.

Holland House in Five Points area of East Nashville for drinks. This place is a nice restaurant (fresh local ingredients, etc.) but they shine as a craft cocktail place. Their head barman Jeremiah is a genius. I had the best cocktail I've ever had in my life. What's nuts is the actual recipes are on the cocktail menu (complete with amounts of each ingredient). The menu is even on their website. Go check out the Daisy If You Do. It's amazing.

Loveless Cafe west of Nashville in the Bellemeade area for breakfast (all day). Get the biscuit sampler platter. I can't decide which was best. The sampler had chicken biscuit (just so-so), steak biscuit (was a great piece of filet), country ham biscuit (some of the best ham I've had), and pulled pork biscuit (ridiculous good).

Thanks for all who posted in this thread. Luckily, I didn't have to call on Robert Mitchum to bail me out of any trouble. I appreciate the offer of assistance though and it was good to have your phone # on hand just in case.

Robert Mitchum
05-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Glad you guys had a good time !!
I got your back any time you are in TN.

VolGrad
05-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Glad you guys had a good time !!
I got your back any time you are in TN.

Thank you sir. Same if you head to N. GA.