PDA

View Full Version : Trainer use for carry?

dustyvarmint
03-01-2020, 07:29 PM
Ok, so I think I'm setting myself up for a roast, but I didn't dream this up myself...and I'm interested in it.

In John Lovell's interview with Craig Douglas the subject of using the push dagger trainer as a weapon came up. In the push dagger thread here on PF ~30% of the discussion is about whether the push dagger is legal in any particular area. While I carry a TDI on occasion, the legal problem always concerns me.

So, is a push dagger trainer or TDI trainer a realistic alternative as a close range impact weapon vs an edged weapon? Does it skirt the legal problems associated with a sharpened blade? Are there impact weapon (brass knuckles, saps) legal considerations instead?

happy shooting, Jerry

Up1911Fan
03-01-2020, 08:56 PM
I'm thinking a hook to the ribs with a " push trainer" would give someone a hell of an attitude adjustment. Not saying it would be my first choice, but I can see it being effective as an impact device in close.

HopetonBrown
03-01-2020, 09:27 PM
When is a knife not a knife?

Up1911Fan
03-01-2020, 09:35 PM
When is a knife not a knife?

When it doesn't have a sharpened edge or a point?

BehindBlueI's
03-01-2020, 09:36 PM
I know I saw some folks discussing this topic recently but can't find the thread. blues was a participant, maybe he can help.

HopetonBrown
03-01-2020, 10:00 PM
I'm thinking a hook to the ribs with a " push trainer" would give someone a hell of an attitude adjustment.

Don't this kind of thing already exist?49360

Up1911Fan
03-01-2020, 10:08 PM
Don't this kind of thing already exist?49360

If that's how you wanna roll. If I was traveling to a state where I couldn't carry a live blade, I'd rather have the metal trainer, in the same sheath, with the same grip than that piece of plastic. No one is saying it's ideal, but I think it's a workable solution in a limited use capacity.

blues
03-01-2020, 11:20 PM
I know I saw some folks discussing this topic recently but can't find the thread. blues was a participant, maybe he can help.

I don't recall participating in any discussion of carrying a trainer in lieu of the push dagger or any other blade.

The only recent discussion that I recall being involved in had to do with whether state law would permit or proscribe carry of the push dagger (and sap) in my home state.

Each person will have to review the particular regulations for their own state of residence, as well as any exemptions which may cover them based upon active or former affiliations.

For example, in my state both a sap and push dagger would be illegal to carry but for the fact that I qualify under exemptions listed in the statutes.

I believe the discussion was in the last few pages of this thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?32239-FL-Parking-Lot-Shooting/page15

BehindBlueI's
03-02-2020, 06:34 AM
I don't recall participating in any discussion of carrying a trainer in lieu of the push dagger or any other blade.

The only recent discussion that I recall being involved in had to do with whether state law would permit or proscribe carry of the push dagger (and sap) in my home state.

Each person will have to review the particular regulations for their own state of residence, as well as any exemptions which may cover them based upon active or former affiliations.

For example, in my state both a sap and push dagger would be illegal to carry but for the fact that I qualify under exemptions listed in the statutes.

I believe the discussion was in the last few pages of this thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?32239-FL-Parking-Lot-Shooting/page15

The doo-dad that HopetonBrown posted above is the same concept. Weren't you talking about it in another thread and how it wasn't an obvious weapon? If not, sorry, memory is the second thing to go.

blues
03-02-2020, 08:55 AM
The doo-dad that HopetonBrown posted above is the same concept. Weren't you talking about it in another thread and how it wasn't an obvious weapon? If not, sorry, memory is the second thing to go.

Okay, if I recall correctly that was in the thread about punching with a roll of quarters in one's hand. And I believe my remark about the device you are referring to is that it looked like an IUD, and also that I had questions about its utility in a fight...both in terms of staging and not injuring oneself.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?40004-Is-the-quot-roll-of-quarters-quot-trick-actually-a-thing

Clusterfrack
03-02-2020, 11:27 AM
My martial arts instructor was overseas doing some training for a foreign government agency and had a very large and capable ‘student’ assault him in a surprise attack. He used a wood training knife to win the fight quickly and decisively.

SouthNarc
03-02-2020, 01:31 PM
I have clients from closed coursework who are issued both the pushdagger and trainer who have used the trainer OCONUS to move people around with good reports. So it’s viable.

Ed L
03-04-2020, 10:15 PM
I have clients from closed coursework who are issued both the pushdagger and trainer who have used the trainer OCONUS to move people around with good reports. So it’s viable.

Quick questiont what sheath are you using in this video which is visible at the 6 min mark? Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwNFvOaqh94&list=WL&index=40&t=778s

kobuksonhwacha
03-05-2020, 08:51 PM
Quick questiont what sheath are you using in this video which is visible at the 6 min mark? Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwNFvOaqh94&list=WL&index=40&t=778s

Craig can correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the live blade is in the discontinued PHLster sheath and the trainer is in a trimmed down factory one.