PDA

View Full Version : Astigmatism

Kirk
02-29-2020, 06:49 PM
Hey guys, hope this isn't too dumb of a question but figured I'd ask. I've developed an astigmatism over time, which obviously causes my dot to bloom out. Recently, I went to the eye doctor hoping it would help, received a new prescription for astigmatism, and low and behold... my dots still blooms.

To be clear, this isnt a major deal. My performance is already better on dots than on irons in a short amount of time due to a lot of practice, but I'm just curious if this is actually a fixable problem? I've got an appointment to go back in to have my eyes re-checked to see if it can be improved, but was just wondering if anyone has gone through this and actually had any success with fixing the red dot bloom due to astigmatism. Right now, the weighted astigmatism contacts just aren't making much of a difference at all.

Also, my father-in-law recommended I take my red dot into the eye doctor because he had a similar issue, and well, the young female eye doctor I saw didn't seem to excited about that lol. So I'm just looking to see if I should continue try to improve this or just accept that it may not get much better. TIA and feel free to delete if this is a dumb question.

Jakus
02-29-2020, 07:12 PM
Astigmatisms range from mild to extreme. Mild cases can sometimes benefit from LASIK or a similar surgical option. In my case corrective surgery was not an option, but over the years I have had great success with special contact lenses. I currently use scleral lenses an they have been the most comfortable and best vision option I’ve ever used. Getting them to fit right requires special training and equipment. If your current doctor isn’t up to the task check here https://sclerallens.org/find-fitter/

RoyGBiv
02-29-2020, 08:15 PM
Contacts or lenses?

If contacts, New to contacts?

Viewing distance?

Kirk
02-29-2020, 08:37 PM
Contacts or lenses?

If contacts, New to contacts?

Viewing distance?

Sorry, should have clarified. Contacts. Been wearing them for years but new to the weighted astigmatism contacts. I'm not sure of my 20/xx number, but my left eye is the eye with astigmatism and my prescription for that eye is -2.75 with -0.75 ax. My right eye doesn't have much of an astigmatism and is -2.0 with no astigmatism correction.

Grizzlyblake
02-29-2020, 08:47 PM
I was convinced I had astigmatism. I tried an Aimpoint PRO, Trijicon MRO, EOTech, Aimpoint T2, and all of them “bloomed.” The internet said I have astigmatism and when my eye doctor said I didn’t, I insisted she was wrong.

She explained that my eyes are perfectly shaped, no astigmatism, but my pupils are abnormally large. She said that’s why I like to wear sunglasses most of the time when I’m driving or outside. It’s why red brake lights are bloomy/bursty at night, and why red light (LED or holo) optics are bloomy too. Not astigmatism.

So I found a T2 turned down to 8 outside is nice and sharp, but not very bright. I’ve since switched to etched reticle optics since there’s nothing to be done about my eyes.

Just something to consider.

Alpha Sierra
03-01-2020, 06:06 AM
Hey guys, hope this isn't too dumb of a question but figured I'd ask. I've developed an astigmatism over time, which obviously causes my dot to bloom out. Recently, I went to the eye doctor hoping it would help, received a new prescription for astigmatism, and low and behold... my dots still blooms

Go back to your optometrist and have him check your lenses to make sure they were ground true to his prescription. I have had happen before.

If the lenses were made correctly to the ordered prescription, go see another doctor.

It really is that simple.

There's no reason to live with that defect

RoyGBiv
03-01-2020, 07:27 AM
Sorry, should have clarified. Contacts. Been wearing them for years but new to the weighted astigmatism contacts. I'm not sure of my 20/xx number, but my left eye is the eye with astigmatism and my prescription for that eye is -2.75 with -0.75 ax. My right eye doesn't have much of an astigmatism and is -2.0 with no astigmatism correction.

Can you read smallish print without reading glasses?

Did you try more than 1 brand of contacts as part of your fitting? Similar problem with all?

I'm not a Dr but do have astigmatism in both eyes and wear contacts. I've found that different brands of contacts perform differently for me. Every year when I renew my prescription I'll get my doc to give me samples of the new hotness in lenses. I'm paying extra for the "fitting", I may as well try out the new stuff.

Dailies VS monthlies, etc, may perform differently.