PDA

View Full Version : Preferred Iron Sights

19852+
02-27-2020, 09:19 AM
So for those who prefer and use iron sights which irons do you use? I have used the A1 sights on my retro A1 carbine with good effect but my preferred irons are the Daniel Defense rail mounted A1 rear with standard front sight tower gas block. That's what is on my all-around AR. I am super interested in the Ultra Dyne iron sights but they are very expensive.

So what irons do you favor?

Casual Friday
02-27-2020, 10:10 AM
FSB with a folding rear sight like a Magpul MBUS Pro is my preferred setup. I don't run irons only. If I did, I'd used a fixed rear also.

ECVMatt
02-27-2020, 11:00 PM
So for those who prefer and use iron sights which irons do you use? I have used the A1 sights on my retro A1 carbine with good effect but my preferred irons are the Daniel Defense rail mounted A1 rear with standard front sight tower gas block. That's what is on my all-around AR. I am super interested in the Ultra Dyne iron sights but they are very expensive.

So what irons do you favor?

That is my set up as well. I use the DD rear sight with the standard front sight and a Trijicon MRO in the middle. Right now my eyes are working pretty good, so I actually prefer just the irons.

M2CattleCo
02-27-2020, 11:05 PM
My irons only guns hafta look good, so they get a carry handle.

My red dot guns gotta look good too, so they have KAC 300M Micro rears.

ALL my uppers have fixed front sights.

https://photos.smugmug.com/My-First-Gallery/i-LHP9GJC/0/7db65aee/X2/658430D6-7A4F-4193-8534-A7D292ABDD65-X2.jpg

UNM1136
02-28-2020, 10:30 AM
FSB with a folding rear sight like a Magpul MBUS Pro is my preferred setup. I don't run irons only. If I did, I'd used a fixed rear also.

It is hard to not like the Magpuls as BUIS. For what they are and what they do and what they cost, they can't be beat. That said my setup was from before those plastic bodied sights were vetted by people I trust, so I have a Troy folding rear with a standard FSB. I also run optics and BUIS. If I were setting up a gun for irons only, like I may be for my kiddos in the future, I would be using an A2 carry handle or chopped carry handle, hands down, all day.

pat

snow white
02-28-2020, 12:21 PM
I use the standard plastic mbuis for most of my rifles, they are true back up sights. If I were to use irons only I'd go with fixed metal sights as I honestly hate the mbuis for any extended use. I have some 45 offset magpul pros that I like ok. Like I said tho, as far as back up sights go I see no reason to spend more than what I do with the standard polymer mbuis. They are plenty rugged enough for there intended use in my opinion.

Casual Friday
02-28-2020, 02:29 PM
It is hard to not like the Magpuls as BUIS. For what they are and what they do and what they cost, they can't be beat. That said my setup was from before those plastic bodied sights were vetted by people I trust, so I have a Troy folding rear with a standard FSB. I also run optics and BUIS. If I were setting up a gun for irons only, like I may be for my kiddos in the future, I would be using an A2 carry handle or chopped carry handle, hands down, all day.

pat

I'm referring to the MBUS PROs which are steel. I don't care for the plastic version.

JRB
02-29-2020, 03:08 AM
I love the traditional FSB and A2 sights, but I've got a lot of trigger time with that combo so it just feels like home. The USMC-issue KAC folding rear sight is pretty damn good too, though expensive. You can do some impressively good work with an M16A4 with those sights at 500-600M once they're zeroed if the rest of the weapon and ammo can do it.
That said, I've found that cheap detachable A2 carry handles have cheap sights, and it's worth the money to buy a USGI or higher end one to ensure all the windage and elevation and the sight itself are all correct and consistent. If you're going to do a 25M zero and just Kentucky windage/elevation for your use of irons, that's not as critical though.

I don't particularly care for the plastic MagPul sights, they are backup sights not primaries. But the Mbus Pro models made out of metal aren't too bad.

One of my favorite combos for an M4 was a cut A2 detachable carry handle for a fixed rear sight in tandem with an M68 CCO (Aimpoint CompM4) in a lower 1/3 cowitness. Absolutely perfect and fast no-BS carbine setup. We don't see the cut A2 handles in the wild anymore, though.

Willard
02-29-2020, 06:11 AM
FSB. Magpul (steel) or KAC rear. Irons only get a carry handle.

CWM11B
02-29-2020, 09:15 AM
On my FSB guns, I've got Larue fixed rail mounted rear sights. On straight slick rail guns, I've got DD irons. All are A1 configuration

JSGlock34
02-29-2020, 09:58 AM
I think the MBUS Pros are the best choice for BUIS right now.

I do like the KAC offerings, but they are pricey. I'm also one of the few who thought the KAC approach with an integrated front BUIS in the URX II was pretty slick.

LittleLebowski
02-29-2020, 10:03 AM
Knights (https://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=Knights+sights&ksubmit=y) make the very best, but you’ll pay for them. Magpul MBUS Pros (https://www.amazon.com/s?k=magpul+mbus+pro&ref=nb_sb_noss_2) are probably the best bang for the buck, premium, non-knockoff sights.

El Cid
02-29-2020, 11:50 AM
FSB. Magpul (steel) or KAC rear. Irons only get a carry handle.

My irons only guns hafta look good, so they get a carry handle.

https://photos.smugmug.com/My-First-Gallery/i-LHP9GJC/0/7db65aee/X2/658430D6-7A4F-4193-8534-A7D292ABDD65-X2.jpg

Curious. Those of you running a carry handle is there an advantage over just a rear sight? I would think the carry handle would be unnecessary weight.

OP, for irons only rifles, I prefer Scalarworks. For backup irons I used to go all in with Troy metal. Now optics are reliable enough I just use the plastic Magpul.

Willard
02-29-2020, 11:57 AM
Curious. Those of you running a carry handle is there an advantage over just a rear sight? I would think the carry handle would be unnecessary weight.

You're right. For me, either hard to fix (A1 fixed non-removable) or came with a carry handle (weight not important enought to spend $ on good folding rear).

I did recently pick up a scalar works set, seem neat, but haven't used them yet so unsure.

Had previously used Troys in the past for fixed option, but I learned some things that put me off Troy products. Still have them, but don't advocate them for that reason.

M2CattleCo
02-29-2020, 01:35 PM

OP, for irons only rifles, I prefer Scalarworks. For backup irons I used to go all in with Troy metal. Now optics are reliable enough I just use the plastic Magpul.

Nope. It's just a rear sight. I have never used it as a carry handle.

I have 'em because I like the looks. A stock 6920 like that is so light, the carry handle is inconsequential.

Casual Friday
02-29-2020, 08:02 PM
One of my favorite combos for an M4 was a cut A2 detachable carry handle for a fixed rear sight in tandem with an M68 CCO (Aimpoint CompM4) in a lower 1/3 cowitness. Absolutely perfect and fast no-BS carbine setup. We don't see the cut A2 handles in the wild anymore, though.

If there's a better combo for what I use a carbine for I've yet to find it.

M2CattleCo
02-29-2020, 10:23 PM

I'm gonna be a nomenclature nazi for sec.

An A2 is a 20" rifle with a fixed carry handle, 3 round burst, government profile barrel, etc.

An M4 with a detachable carry handle sight is just an M4 sight.

Elkhitman
02-29-2020, 11:01 PM
I have HK style Larue folder on the front of my Larue rifle with a KAC 2-6 folding rear; and an LMT Rear and a Troy HK fixed on my BCM rifle. So far I am happy with those set ups and prefer the HK style front sights.

HCM
03-01-2020, 12:34 AM
I have HK style Larue folder on the front of my Larue rifle with a KAC 2-6 folding rear; and an LMT Rear and a Troy HK fixed on my BCM rifle. So far I am happy with those set ups and prefer the HK style front sights.

They’re great on HK Rifles with a fixed front as your eye naturally centers the circle in circle and the fixed front is always in the center of the fixed front /smaller circle. With a height adjustable AR front post, maybe not so much.

The Larue folding sights are re-branded Troys. Their in house made fixed A1 rear is good.

Most of the troys can’t lay flat with the small aperture engaged. Otherwise nothing wrong with them.

The KAC folding and DD fixed are both good sets. Agree the Magpul MBUS Pros are likely the best bang for the buck right now.

The Magpul plastic BUIS are better than non BUIS but I’m not a big fan.

That Guy
03-01-2020, 07:09 AM
My biggest gripe with the Magpul MBUS Pro rear sight is that there is no locking mechanism for when the sight is deployed. More than once I've had the rifle slung and when it was time to shoot the next drill, the sight had folded itself back down.

Oh well, I finally have an optic (of sorts...) on the gun so the rear sight is now in its backup role. And I do appreciate that it has two aperture sizes. So I'm not sure if there's anything better for me in the market, and I'm unlikely to buy it even if there were. Still though. A locking mechanism to prevent the sight from getting knocked down would have been nice.

Jason M
03-06-2020, 11:58 AM
The general purpose, iron sight guns have either the stock FSB/DD fixed rear combo or DD fixed front/rear combo. Guns with RDS or LVPO have the MagPull pros or the Troy flip ups.

OlongJohnson
03-06-2020, 06:37 PM
Has anybody here messed with the White Oak Armament A2 uppers with integral handle/sight?

LOBO
03-07-2020, 07:54 PM
FSB or not, mine get flip up Troy's.

StraitR
03-08-2020, 02:21 PM
I think the MBUS Pros are the best choice for BUIS right now.

I do like the KAC offerings, but they are pricey. I'm also one of the few who thought the KAC approach with an integrated front BUIS in the URX II was pretty slick.

Knights (https://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=Knights+sights&ksubmit=y) make the very best, but you’ll pay for them. Magpul MBUS Pros (https://www.amazon.com/s?k=magpul+mbus+pro&ref=nb_sb_noss_2) are probably the best bang for the buck, premium, non-knockoff sights.

My sentiments, exactly.

I've been using KAC sights for many years, long before Magpul Pros were available. I still like my KAC stuff, but if buying today, I'd go with the MP Pro sights.

Le Français
03-08-2020, 05:13 PM
My issued 11.5” Colt has a fixed front sight and folding MBUS rear, along with the Aimpoint. The iron/plastic sights have worked very well; I regularly turn off the dot and practice using the sights.

A personal AR15 has MBUS PRO metal folding sights (under the P4Xi). Those seem like good sights too, but I haven’t used them much.

HeavyDuty
03-09-2020, 08:52 AM
I have several different arrangements on my ARs, but I prefer the standard FSB sight with an DD 1.5 rear. Next favorite is a vary handle rear with the FSB. Even with a RDS I prefer fixed sights.

rob_s
03-10-2020, 04:29 AM
At some point in my shooting history I spent some time shooting an irons-only BCM “dissipator” upper on a lower with a fixed A1 stock. Unrelated to this thread topic, but I honestly couldn’t think of much of anything I gave up with that gun and regularly beat the snot out of dudes shooting far fancier guns.

As my dissipator was a flattops, as most uppers these days are, I needed a rear sight to match up to the fixed fsb. I wanted a “same plane” rear aperture and I believe the sight I used proved that.
https://troyind.com/products/fixed-rear-sight-blk

JRB
03-10-2020, 12:28 PM
I'm gonna be a nomenclature nazi for sec.

An A2 is a 20" rifle with a fixed carry handle, 3 round burst, government profile barrel, etc.

An M4 with a detachable carry handle sight is just an M4 sight.

Context, my friend.

There's been considerable discussion about A1 sights vs A2 sights over the years. So, to ensure clarity, everyone understands what a 'detachable A2 carry handle' is even though it's not even part of the M16A2. Sure, it's an M16A4 component but the kicker is that it houses a rear sight assembly that is widely known as 'A2 sights'. Saying 'M4 sight' would simply confuse it with a CompM4 in circles like this, too.

They have not issued carry handles for quite some time with any M4 or M4A1 (or the M16A4 for that matter) though it's still on the AAL. Every M4 new or old that I've seen in the past 10 years have all had Matech or KAC sights on them depending on the branch and unit. Almost always Matechs as far as Army stuff goes.

jandbj
03-10-2020, 05:47 PM
At some point in my shooting history I spent some time shooting an irons-only BCM “dissipator” upper on a lower with a fixed A1 stock. Unrelated to this thread topic, but I honestly couldn’t think of much of anything I gave up with that gun and regularly beat the snot out of dudes shooting far fancier guns.

As my dissipator was a flattops, as most uppers these days are, I needed a rear sight to match up to the fixed fsb. I wanted a “same plane” rear aperture and I believe the sight I used proved that.
https://troyind.com/products/fixed-rear-sight-blk

Big fan of these and the DD 1.5 rear sights.

Wake27
03-10-2020, 06:40 PM
Scalarworks are the heat for fixed sights. And their website is a work of art so it’s worth taking a look for yourself if you’re looking for a set of buis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawn Dodson
03-10-2020, 07:09 PM
Most of the troys can’t lay flat with the small aperture engaged.

Easily reversed with a small Allen wrench. Just be careful not to lose the tiny detent ball bearing.

Darth_Uno
03-10-2020, 07:25 PM
I learn something every day.

rob_s
03-10-2020, 07:48 PM
Scalarworks are the heat for fixed sights. And their website is a work of art so it’s worth taking a look for yourself if you’re looking for a set of buis.

https://scalarworks.com/shop/iron-sights/peak-01/

I love the company and the concept. Any idea if they are same-plane?

Wake27
03-10-2020, 09:56 PM

What do you mean? Like can you pair a front or rear of theirs with the opposite from another manufacturer?

rob_s
03-11-2020, 04:55 AM
What do you mean? Like can you pair a front or rear of theirs with the opposite from another manufacturer?

Ever notice the markings on an A2 rear sight? 0-2 or something to that effect?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Same_Plane_or_A2_Aperture/18-452371/

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?36378-Same-Plane

Chuck Whitlock
03-12-2020, 04:11 AM
^^^^^^

I installed these on my personal rifles and on my previous agency's rifles:

https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993118&CAT=8276

Beat Trash
03-12-2020, 09:22 AM

Yes, they are same plane. You got me to wondering, so I called the company to verify.

My sone has their fixed rear in a Colt 6920 that he wanted to set up with just irons. I wasn’t convinced that they were any different than other offerings out there until they showed up. Once I got to messing around with them, I have to admit that they are my choice in a fixed sight.

The large aperture rear sight on the Scalarworks sight is noticeably larger than you’d find on the larger aperture from an A-2 rear sight.

rob_s
03-12-2020, 10:51 AM
Yes, they are same plane. You got me to wondering, so I called the company to verify.

Great to know, thanks!

would be good for them to include that information on the website. I searched all over that page (why does a page for an iron sight need to have so much crap all over it?) and couldn't find it.

WobblyPossum
03-12-2020, 03:25 PM
Great to know, thanks!

would be good for them to include that information on the website. I searched all over that page (why does a page for an iron sight need to have so much crap all over it?) and couldn't find it.
It’s on the site but tucked away in the Specs section at the bottom between the option to order a set and the customer reviews. “Flip apertures same-plane 0.07”/0.20” diameter” It would be better if they highlighted that feature more obviously.

rob_s
03-13-2020, 05:43 AM
It’s on the site but tucked away in the Specs section at the bottom between the option to order a set and the customer reviews. “Flip apertures same-plane 0.07”/0.20” diameter” It would be better if they highlighted that feature more obviously.

Ah, I see it now. You have to choose your option for the specs to show up. Kinda out#cuted themselves.

Either way, if I were in the market for a fixed rear, this would be the one I’d buy today, sight unseen. Marketing cuteness aside I’d buy from scalarworks (vickers be damned) with confidence.

OlongJohnson
11-19-2020, 08:45 PM
I've been messing around with this. Have a set of MBUS Pros and a PRO with a lower-1/3 riser. I really like how the aperture cleans up the dot for me. With the lower-1/3 setup, I have the option to go both eyes open for speed and tolerate a fuzzier dot, or drop down to cowitness and clean up the dot for greater precision when there's more time. I also like the option to fold the sights and just get them out of the view. Aperture rear also addresses the issues I have with typical notch-and-post sights on a long gun.

If setting up an LPVO with BUIS, the same symbiotic relationship between the systems isn't happening. My thought is that the optimal BUIS would be offset, so I could switch to them immediately, rather than having to detach the LPVO mount to get it out of the way before switching. Have I successfully reasoned myself to a "no duh" moment that's why the world is the way it is? Anything else I'm failing to think about?