PDA

View Full Version : Holosun 407K vs 507K

Rick R
02-23-2020, 09:46 AM
First off, has anyone actually seen either of these in the wild?

Second, they appear to be pretty much the same sight with different reticles. Which would you gents prefer for EDC, a 36MOA circle / 2MOA dot or a 6 MOA dot on a 9mm pistol?

FWIW, the 407k is $70 cheaper than the more complex 507k

TicTacticalTimmy
02-23-2020, 10:44 AM
I would go with the 407K.

I never use the circle/dot on my 507, mainly because the larger reticle lowers the brightness the equivelant of about one click, and in the bright Southwest sun you need every bit of brightness you can get. If you live in a less bright place it would still be worth considering but I doubt the big circle will make any big difference either good or bad, particularly if you have a rock solid index.

Also, 6 moa seems about ideal for a subcompact pistol. That is still 6" at 100yds which is probably more precise than any subcompact pistol is capable of, and certainly more precise than 99.9% of shooters could shoot one offhand.

I would be interested to compare the two side by side and see if the 507k with just the 2moa dot is brighter or the same as the 6moa dot on the 407k at max brightness

cornstalker
02-23-2020, 11:06 AM
I like the idea of a 6 moa dot. I am curious to see if the 6 moa dot is as crisp as their 2 moa dots. I could do without the circle reticle. On both of my samples, the circle reticle has been asymmetrical and crooked. It bugs me... I sent one back because of it and the one I received looked the same. (508t)

Rick R
02-23-2020, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys!

I have used the HS507C (https://www.amazon.com/HOLOSUN-Selectable-Reticle-Weaver-Style-Battery/dp/B077QCXLYP/ref=as_li_ss_tl?dchild=1&keywords=Holosun+507c&qid=1582512928&sr=8-1&linkCode=ll1&tag=ratio07-20&linkId=0ae3b0975fca9506fa0ae4fc6c4b9660&language=en_US) on my G19 since early January and the dot is clearer to me than the Aimpoint, EOTech, or SIG sights I’ve used prior. FWIW I use the dot only but I find the circle is canted to the left slightly. It would be nice if they dropped the EOTech style circle and went with a slightly smaller “Donut of Death”, say 18 MOA with thicker circle wall and no hash marks.

I intend on buying either of the K sights and having it direct milled on my 9mm Commander size Ruger SR1911. I’m getting to the age where seeing that front sight clearly isn’t a sure thing. I plan on using the vestigial rear sight on the HS407/507K with a correctly sized white outlined tritium front sight as BUIS.

ssb
02-23-2020, 02:01 PM
I would go with the 407K. After using a 6.5MOA and a 2MOA dot, I think the larger dot is simply easier to find. It gives up nothing for precision on a handgun in my experience (identical results on a B8 at 25). I find the 32MOA circle to be too busy and impede precision at 15+ yards.

frozentundra
02-23-2020, 04:15 PM
There is one possible advantage to using a more busy reticle; based on my experience with holosun/primary arms 20mm dot sights, the ACSS reticle seems nearly impossible to confuse with the strange red 'visual artifacts' that can result from having the sun at low angles through the sight. Sometimes the sun can create artifacts that could be confused with a 2MOA dot. It's less of a problem on a rifle because it's easier to line up with a cheekweld, but it's still a potential problem.

I'm not sure this is a problem with the 407k, but based on reading different threads, it seems a problem that many sights are prone to. Somebody mentioned this issue specifically with one of the larger Holosun pistol sights. My theory is that a more complex reticle will be less prone to being confused with a sun-induced visual artifact.

I've been meaning to test this in low light with bright flashlights and car headlights, but I keep forgetting to. Just food for thought.

cornstalker
02-23-2020, 05:57 PM
There is one possible advantage to using a more busy reticle; based on my experience with holosun/primary arms 20mm dot sights, the ACSS reticle seems nearly impossible to confuse with the strange red 'visual artifacts' that can result from having the sun at low angles through the sight. Sometimes the sun can create artifacts that could be confused with a 2MOA dot. It's less of a problem on a rifle because it's easier to line up with a cheekweld, but it's still a potential problem.

I'm not sure this is a problem with the 407k, but based on reading different threads, it seems a problem that many sights are prone to. Somebody mentioned this issue specifically with one of the larger Holosun pistol sights. My theory is that a more complex reticle will be less prone to being confused with a sun-induced visual artifact.

I've been meaning to test this in low light with bright flashlights and car headlights, but I keep forgetting to. Just food for thought.

I will be willing to test this as well, next time the sun is out and I am not at work.

mrozowjj
04-17-2020, 12:50 AM
I would go with the 407K.

I never use the circle/dot on my 507, mainly because the larger reticle lowers the brightness the equivelant of about one click, and in the bright Southwest sun you need every bit of brightness you can get. If you live in a less bright place it would still be worth considering but I doubt the big circle will make any big difference either good or bad, particularly if you have a rock solid index.

Also, 6 moa seems about ideal for a subcompact pistol. That is still 6" at 100yds which is probably more precise than any subcompact pistol is capable of, and certainly more precise than 99.9% of shooters could shoot one offhand.

I would be interested to compare the two side by side and see if the 507k with just the 2moa dot is brighter or the same as the 6moa dot on the 407k at max brightness

I'd like to add that a 6 MOA dot is also 1.5" at 25 yards which is the maximum distance I would ever shoot a pistol at especially less a compact pistol that would have the 407K on it. In closer it covers even less of the target.

For me larger dots also look better with my astigmatism across all the brightness ranges so I just tend to favor them on everything. Honestly 6 MOA isn't out of place on a rifle for home/self defense either because as you said it's still only 6 inches at 100 yards and 12 inches at 200 yards so the dot would still be smaller than a human shaped target. I secretly crave the older 6 MOA Aimpoints for my rifle because it's faster and still more precise than any iron sights; and if I wanted to shoot a rifle past 200 yards on the regular I'd put a magnified optic on it anyway.

Joshmill
04-17-2020, 10:13 PM
I'd like to add that a 6 MOA dot is also 1.5" at 25 yards which is the maximum distance I would ever shoot a pistol at especially less a compact pistol that would have the 407K on it. In closer it covers even less of the target.

For me larger dots also look better with my astigmatism across all the brightness ranges so I just tend to favor them on everything. Honestly 6 MOA isn't out of place on a rifle for home/self defense either because as you said it's still only 6 inches at 100 yards and 12 inches at 200 yards so the dot would still be smaller than a human shaped target. I secretly crave the older 6 MOA Aimpoints for my rifle because it's faster and still more precise than any iron sights; and if I wanted to shoot a rifle past 200 yards on the regular I'd put a magnified optic on it anyway.

I believe they intend to launch them sometime in May. I just sold my Romeo0 to a coworker today. I'm planning on getting the 407k at this point. 6 moa dot just seems to really work. With that being said I have a 507c ordered for my x5 Legion. I'll try to remember to post back if I change my mind.

Rick R
04-17-2020, 11:48 PM
I believe they intend to launch them sometime in May. I just sold my Romeo0 to a coworker today. I'm planning on getting the 407k at this point. 6 moa dot just seems to really work. With that being said I have a 507c ordered for my x5 Legion. I'll try to remember to post back if I change my mind.

As of this moment I’m leaning toward the 407 however I believe the COVID19 craziness will probably put the kaibosh on a lot of Chinese products for a while. It may be some time before we see them.

Up1911Fan
04-18-2020, 08:08 AM
I pre ordered the 407K for a G43X. 2 MOA seems a bit small and I definitely don't want the dot in a circle.

cornstalker
04-18-2020, 08:25 AM
I am starting to lose patience. I am thinking about ordering an RMSc so Holosun will start shipping the 407's. :p

jeep45238
04-18-2020, 08:53 AM
If you aren't going to run a doughnut of death, save the money and buy the 407. Have one on a PCC and a non-K on a pistol, great buggers so far.

OPticsplanet was my source, it showed up a few weeks ago.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/holosun-hs407k-red-dot-sight.html

Up1911Fan
04-18-2020, 09:01 AM
If you aren't going to run a doughnut of death, save the money and buy the 407. Have one on a PCC and a non-K on a pistol, great buggers so far.

OPticsplanet was my source, it showed up a few weeks ago.

Your saying you already have a 407K?

jeep45238
04-18-2020, 09:03 AM
Your saying you already have a 407K?

I didn't pay attention when I ordered and it just looked 'off' compared to my 407 - contacted Holosun to make sure it wasn't a counterfeit. They said it's the second generation and legit, I'll double check it's a K when I get back to the house, but I'm 95% sure it is.

Up1911Fan
04-18-2020, 10:55 AM
I didn't pay attention when I ordered and it just looked 'off' compared to my 407 - contacted Holosun to make sure it wasn't a counterfeit. They said it's the second generation and legit, I'll double check it's a K when I get back to the house, but I'm 95% sure it is.
The "K" is the smaller, slimmer RDS for single stacks that is supposed to start shipping in May.

cornstalker
04-18-2020, 11:01 AM

Maybe it's this?

https://www.holosun.com/index/product/detail/id/121.html

mrozowjj
04-18-2020, 04:47 PM
I am starting to lose patience. I am thinking about ordering an RMSc so Holosun will start shipping the 407's. :p

That's pretty much how it works for me. The second I by something the someone releases the thing I really wanted. I love my 407CO with the 8 MOA ring for my pistols so the second I buy 4 of them they annouce the green one. I might get a green one for my competition pistol when this shit is all finally over but for all the things I don't shoot very often I'll stick with the red because I'm too cheap to swap that many.

I pre ordered the 407K for a G43X. 2 MOA seems a bit small and I definitely don't want the dot in a circle.

Who is going to do the cut on your 43x? I have one and I've been thinking about tossing a dot on it.

Up1911Fan
04-18-2020, 05:13 PM
That's pretty much how it works for me. The second I by something the someone releases the thing I really wanted. I love my 407CO with the 8 MOA ring for my pistols so the second I buy 4 of them they annouce the green one. I might get a green one for my competition pistol when this shit is all finally over but for all the things I don't shoot very often I'll stick with the red because I'm too cheap to swap that many.

Who is going to do the cut on your 43x? I have one and I've been thinking about tossing a dot on it.

L&M or Primary Arms. Should be straightforward.

Mike C
04-18-2020, 07:44 PM

Don't do this. I have a RMSc that arrived DOA. I tried the call the US vendo and they would not exchange it. Tried to reach two different people at Shield. No response. Many of them are furloughed. I am now out close to 500 for a sight that is dead and not returnable at this point. You can try to order the new sight that uses the shield food print from US Optics. I believe Shield is making them. They might be a better best and chances are if they are ordering them in bulk they will have more pull to warranty or to fix your shit if it breaks if not refund you altogether. US Optics would be my first choice if I couldn't wait for the 407K.

cornstalker
04-18-2020, 07:49 PM
Don't do this. I have a RMSc that arrived DOA. I tried the call the US vendo and they would not exchange it. Tried to reach two different people at Shield. No response. Many of them are furloughed. I am now out close to 500 for a sight that is dead and not returnable at this point. You can try to order the new sight that uses the shield food print from US Optics. I believe Shield is making them. They might be a better best and chances are if they are ordering them in bulk they will have more pull to warranty or to fix your shit if it breaks if not refund you altogether. US Optics would be my first choice if I couldn't wait for the 407K.

Any chance of a link to the USO offering? The only one I saw said it had a Viper footprint.

cornstalker
04-18-2020, 07:53 PM
Found it. Didn't think it would be the $600 one...

Mike C
04-18-2020, 08:35 PM
Found it. Didn't think it would be the $600 one...

It's the one for $579, MCRS I believe. They offer a good discount if you're Mil or LE. Maybe I crazy but I thought they had PF discount. Maybe I say their brand on Primary Arms or someone else's.

jeep45238
04-19-2020, 09:11 AM
Maybe it's this?

https://www.holosun.com/index/product/detail/id/121.html

I am dumb - cornstalker's correct.

cornstalker
04-21-2020, 09:21 PM
I went ahead and jumped on a pre-order at Midway for the 407k. Now to try to forget about it until it shows up...

Mike C
04-21-2020, 09:33 PM
So got an e-mail from US Optics. MCRS listed as in stock the the web site. Not in freaking stock. Got an e-mail confirming this six days after the order was placed. This kind of crap irks me, Chinese despite how I feel about about to get my money for a few 407K's. I wish an American company would get off their ass step up and make something comparable. Where the hell is a Trijicon rep. to complain to when we need one? Will someone on the board who's connected please make a call?

cornstalker
04-21-2020, 09:42 PM
So got an e-mail from US Optics. MCRS listed as in stock the the web site. Not in freaking stock. Got an e-mail confirming this six days after the order was placed. This kind of crap irks me, Chinese despite how I feel about about to get my money for a few 407K's. I wish an American company would get off their ass step up and make something comparable. Where the hell is a Trijicon rep. to complain to when we need one? Will someone on the board who's connected please make a call?

They will. Right after my 407k and slide get back from the machine shop. Lol.

mrozowjj
04-22-2020, 01:45 AM
They will. Right after my 407k and slide get back from the machine shop. Lol.

This is the way.

If I actually send my slide to be milled Trijicon will announce something the second I get the dot sighted in on my slide.

newyork
04-22-2020, 07:25 AM
Everyone seems to be loving those Holosun. They’re also inexpensive. I just can’t get past the Chinese optic thing. If I could, it’s sure speed up my process and be much more doable.

mrozowjj
04-22-2020, 09:46 AM
Everyone seems to be loving those Holosun. They’re also inexpensive. I just can’t get past the Chinese optic thing. If I could, it’s sure speed up my process and be much more doable.

I have a bunch and they are pretty great. By all accounts the 407c/507c are almost as rugged as the RMR but the 407k hasn't really been tested and that's really my hesitation. Being aluminum I assume it will be more rugged than the SIg and Shield if only because they are plastic but I would still prefer an RMR that is basically sized for the smaller battery and slimmer slides. If they ever made that I'd have a slide cut for that without hesitation.

Btw how stupid is it that Holosun calls this thing the 407/507 along with their larger dots? Like why not just make a new model number?

Joshmill
04-22-2020, 12:41 PM
I have a bunch and they are pretty great. By all accounts the 407c/507c are almost as rugged as the RMR but the 407k hasn't really been tested and that's really my hesitation. Being aluminum I assume it will be more rugged than the SIg and Shield if only because they are plastic but I would still prefer an RMR that is basically sized for the smaller battery and slimmer slides. If they ever made that I'd have a slide cut for that without hesitation.

Btw how stupid is it that Holosun calls this thing the 407/507 along with their larger dots? Like why not just make a new model number?

Just got a 510c today. I love it. It kind of makes sense to me. At least they added the k at the end which is pretty much a standard for the industry. I can't wait to get a 407k for my 365xl.

mrozowjj
04-27-2020, 01:45 PM
I went to Holosun's webpage today and I saw something interesting. Under their listings for mounts and spacers they now have listings for 2 plates:

407/507K Adapter for RMR
407/507K Adapter for MOS

Which are both marked as coming soon. I assume that the one plate will let you mount the 407/507K to any pistol with an RMR cut and the other is a direct plate to mount to a Glock MOS system.

That's interesting to me because even on the full Glocks the RMR and other red dots still hang off the slide a bit so I had been wondering if maybe the smaller foot print of the 407/507k might work even better than their full size counter parts.

If the K models end up being as reliable and durable as their full size counter parts I could see putting one on a double stack 9mm carry gun.

Up1911Fan
05-02-2020, 08:37 PM
Sounds like these might start shipping by the end of the month.

Donkey Fluffer
05-06-2020, 03:52 AM
Sounds like these might start shipping by the end of the month.I don't know about that

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

cornstalker
05-06-2020, 09:36 AM
I don't know about that

Why not? Details?

Up1911Fan
05-06-2020, 12:12 PM
I don't know about that

Kenzies optics sent an email last week that they were ezpected in 3-4 weeks.

Donkey Fluffer
05-06-2020, 02:53 PM
Sorry, this was attached to my previous post. Optics Planet originally told me 2 April, then 1 May, now 23 June on the 507k

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200506/badf986ff64a1b7ed2aec50cb7fc0f9b.jpg

cornstalker
06-09-2020, 11:43 AM
Kenzies optics sent an email last week that they were ezpected in 3-4 weeks.

Looks like Kenzie's has a note on their product page now that they are expecting to start shipping at the beginning of July. For whatever that is worth.

Up1911Fan
06-09-2020, 01:24 PM
Looks like Kenzie's has a note on their product page now that they are expecting to start shipping at the beginning of July. For whatever that is worth.

Yeah got that update emailed.

RJ
06-09-2020, 01:30 PM
Question related to mounting: I'm assuming these screws need to be correctly torqued given their location? And Loc-tited? Assuming a typical garage with an inch-lb 1/4 drive torque wrench, can I use that? Or is there a special teeny-tiny torque wrench in eighth-inch ounces or whatever I have to buy to put on of these Dots on? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I know zip about these things.

ssb
06-09-2020, 03:13 PM
Question related to mounting: I'm assuming these screws need to be correctly torqued given their location? And Loc-tited? Assuming a typical garage with an inch-lb 1/4 drive torque wrench, can I use that? Or is there a special teeny-tiny torque wrench in eighth-inch ounces or whatever I have to buy to put on of these Dots on? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I know zip about these things.

I wouldn't torque past ~11-13 inch/lbs, but yes, so long as you've got an inch/lb torque wrench that'll do that, yes. You should buy Vibratite VC3 (some probably came with your holsters if you bought from JMCK or Tenicor or similar) as a threadlocker.

1911Nut
06-09-2020, 07:47 PM
I would welcome any further comments or details that George or any other forum member might wish to add regarding opinions of the Holosun 407K vs. the Holosun 507K mounted on a carry gun like the Sig P365XL.

My optic experience on pistols is limited, with some experience with the Leupold DPP, the Trijicon RMR, and most recently, the Trijicon SRO. My personal preference among these three optics (all on "game guns" )is the SRO with a 5 MOA dot. The primary reason for this preference is the window size of the SRO, combined with the fact that so far I have encountered virtually zero issues with "finding the dot" in the SRO, even when shooting from awkward positions, WHO, SHO, etc. That was not the case with the DPP and RMR.

Considering the significantly smaller window of the mini Holosun optics, "losing the dot" may be a potential problem on a carry gun, so I am looking for every advantage I might gain by picking the Holosun that gives me the best chance to acquire and maintain visual contact of the dot. So . . . . 407K or 507K, and why?

GJM
06-09-2020, 08:25 PM
I would welcome any further comments or details that George or any other forum member might wish to add regarding opinions of the Holosun 407K vs. the Holosun 507K mounted on a carry gun like the Sig P365XL.

My optic experience on pistols is limited, with some experience with the Leupold DPP, the Trijicon RMR, and most recently, the Trijicon SRO. My personal preference among these three optics (all on "game guns" )is the SRO with a 5 MOA dot. The primary reason for this preference is the window size of the SRO, combined with the fact that so far I have encountered virtually zero issues with "finding the dot" in the SRO, even when shooting from awkward positions, WHO, SHO, etc. That was not the case with the DPP and RMR.

Considering the significantly smaller window of the mini Holosun optics, "losing the dot" may be a potential problem on a carry gun, so I am looking for every advantage I might gain by picking the Holosun that gives me the best chance to acquire and maintain visual contact of the dot. So . . . . 407K or 507K, and why?

507, because it has the circle option.

1911Nut
06-12-2020, 08:56 PM
Following up on an earlier question and comment about mounting a Holosun 407K optic.

I have a Sig P365XL pistol and intend to mount a Holosun 407K optic on it when the optic arrives (if that ever happens!)

Has anyone seen any data or instructions regarding what screws are needed to mount this optic on this pistol?

I am assuming that Holosun won't include screws with the optic that will work with this specific pistol and this specific optic, although they might surprise me.

Any suggestions? Contact Holosun directly?

Thanks

1911Nut
06-16-2020, 06:05 PM
I was able to speak directly to a technician at Holosun today and he assured me that the Holosun 407K is shipped with the proper screws required to mount the optic directly to the Sig P365XL pistol after removing the combination mounting plate/rear sight assembly on the pistol.

MVS
06-16-2020, 06:20 PM
I was able to speak directly to a technician at Holosun today and he assured me that the Holosun 407K is shipped with the proper screws required to mount the optic directly to the Sig P365XL pistol after removing the combination mounting plate/rear sight assembly on the pistol.

Thats good. The real question is, did he assure you that the sights themselves will actually ship someday?

1911Nut
06-16-2020, 06:27 PM
Thats good. The real question is, did he assure you that the sights themselves will actually ship someday?

I was told they expected shipment in early July. I won't hold my breath!

MikeyCNY
06-25-2020, 08:21 PM
I was told they expected shipment in early July. I won't hold my breath!

Apparently some dealers are getting stock in now - I ordered my 507k from a website earlier that claimed to have 8 in stock as I ordered, then 4 in stock after I placed my order. Now shows OOS.

This is apparently one of the first reviews on YouTube, at least that I've found -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=419ByEkDu9Q

I picked up a SIG P365XL a week ago and love it; with additional testing it might replace my M&P Shield as EDC.

JCS
06-26-2020, 02:52 PM
Local gun store here in OK had the 507k in stock on June 19th. Sadly they didn't last long.

cornstalker
06-27-2020, 10:00 AM
Kenzie's now shows the 407k expected in August with new backorders shipping in September. Looks like I backordered the wrong optic. I chose the 407k for the 6moa dot.

backtrail540
06-27-2020, 11:22 AM
Kenzie's now shows the 407k expected in August with new backorders shipping in September. Looks like I backordered the wrong optic. I chose the 407k for the 6moa dot.

I had one on order and switched to an in stock full size optic. I'll wait until the k's are in stock before i snag one. I don't have enough patience to wait it out.

Kenzies was great to deal with and the switch was as simple as an email. Definitely buy my next from them.

MVS
06-27-2020, 11:23 AM
My 507k from Optics Planet just arrived. Unfortunately I am busy trying to get the generator running and hooked up and clearing fallen trees, so....

cornstalker
06-27-2020, 11:45 AM
My 507k from Optics Planet just arrived. Unfortunately I am busy trying to get the generator running and hooked up and clearing fallen trees, so....

What the heck happened? Tornado?

MVS
06-27-2020, 12:10 PM
What the heck happened? Tornado?

Tornado in the area, just severe thunderstorms for us.

MikeyCNY
06-27-2020, 06:51 PM

I originally ordered with Optics Planet but they kept delaying the ship date, and I used a one-time credit card # that was only good for two months. (they hadn't charged yet obviously) I got a ship notice on my 507k from https://modernwarriors.com/ so we'll see when it gets here (USPS shipping....). Sorry to hear about your yard issues.

One issue I've heard about the 407k/507k is a severe "fishbowl" effect of the lens. The video I posted previously stated this and I've heard it mentioned elsewhere. Hopefully in practice it isn't that bad.

MVS
06-27-2020, 07:52 PM
I originally ordered with Optics Planet but they kept delaying the ship date, and I used a one-time credit card # that was only good for two months. (they hadn't charged yet obviously) I got a ship notice on my 507k from https://modernwarriors.com/ so we'll see when it gets here (USPS shipping....). Sorry to hear about your yard issues.

One issue I've heard about the 407k/507k is a severe "fishbowl" effect of the lens. The video I posted previously stated this and I've heard it mentioned elsewhere. Hopefully in practice it isn't that bad.

Well I only had time for 110 rounds (100 practice ammo, 10 147 HST), but I didn't notice that. The difference between this sight and that Sig bigZero that was on the gun was like night and day.

RJ
06-27-2020, 08:19 PM
Stay safe MVS. Be interested in a few details on what sets the Holoson apart from the R0 whenever you get a chance.

MVS
06-27-2020, 09:33 PM
Stay safe MVS. Be interested in a few details on what sets the Holoson apart from the R0 whenever you get a chance.

Where do I start. Rugged metal construction, glass lens, a dot that doesn't wash out with the sun behind it, side battery tray, a really big thing, the adjustment buttons are easy to use. Circle/dot of you like that.

EzGoingKev
07-15-2020, 03:57 PM
I think the 507k would be great on my Glock 43.

If possible I would like to have the same MRDS on all my pistols. That way all the controls/dot/battery/mounts are the same.

I also on a Glock 19. For the people that own one or have used one do you think the 507k would be a good fit on the 19?

DMCutter
07-15-2020, 07:49 PM
Pardon the crappy picture. 507k on a Hellcat, 508t on a MR918. The footprint is smaller on the k, so probably not a direct mount to something designed for an RMR/507C. The window is smaller so you give away view for a nominal and probably inconsequential increase in concealability. The sight isn't what's going to print, I don't think.

cornstalker
07-22-2020, 05:20 PM
I just got a shipment notification from Midway for my HS407k. Kinda wierd that the estimated delivery date is August 12.

TAZ
07-22-2020, 06:34 PM
I just got a shipment notification from Midway for my HS407k. Kinda wierd that the estimated delivery date is August 12.

Pony express delivery or a ploy to charge your CC??

GJM
07-22-2020, 07:16 PM

I have seen a number of online places add a week or two to expected delivery to cover for delays around shipping during Covid, but things commonly are arriving ahead of the promised date.

cornstalker
07-22-2020, 07:33 PM
I have seen a number of online places add a week or two to expected delivery to cover for delays around shipping during Covid, but things commonly are arriving ahead of the promised date.

That is what I suspect. Better to under promise and over deliver.

cornstalker
07-22-2020, 07:35 PM
Pony express delivery or a ploy to charge your CC??

The Pony Express would get here faster than that, and after somewhere near three decades of dealing with Midway, they already know they don’t need a ploy to charge my credit card. :D

GJM
07-22-2020, 07:44 PM

So far, most pistol red dots over promise but under deliver. :p

1911Nut
07-22-2020, 07:45 PM

Anyone dealt with Sig lately? They still haven't got that "underpromise/overdeliver" deal down when it comes to shipping times.

cornstalker
07-22-2020, 09:21 PM
So far, most pistol red dots over promise but under deliver. :p

Red dots, absolutely. I can still hope for the best with Midway. :)

cornstalker
07-22-2020, 09:25 PM
Anyone dealt with Sig lately? They still haven't got that "underpromise/overdeliver" deal down when it comes to shipping times.

My last experience with them was when I had to send my Kilo 1800 in for a firmware update that would not install in the normal fashion. Took them a month to do what they said would take a week.

MikeyCNY
07-24-2020, 03:41 PM
I was finally able to make it back to the range to zero the 507k. Digging around for different ammo I brought a mixture, but forgot the hollow points, which is probably what I should be zeroing it with if I'm going to carry it.. oh well, next month. Prior to today my 365XL had 200 trouble-free rounds without the optic loaded. For the range trip today I used -

Speer Lawman 124 gr TMJ (my usual range ammo) - 50 rounds no issues

SIG Sauer 124 gr FMJ - 20 rounds no issues, the 21st round Failed to Chamber. I did an immediate Tap-Rack-Bang then looked for it on the ground. It had a very slight gouge on the top where it tried to chamber. I put it back in the mag and resumed shooting - that round failed to chamber AGAIN. Bashing the back of the slide chambered it and it fired fine. Maybe slightly out of spec? The remainder of the 50 round box fired fine. I had never used this ammo before, but I find it ironic that the SIG ammo hiccuped in a SIG pistol...

Federal Syntech Training Match 124 gr - 50 rounds no issues. I've started to grow fond of this ammo - shoots clean and seems to be the most accurate of any I've tried, until this next one...

Target Sports Ammunition 124g gr FMJ - New stuff, they just came out with it this month I think. Headstamp says "TSA" on it and it says "Made in Czech Republic". Reviews seem to think it is made by S&B (Sellier & Bellot); it is even packaged in small boxes which is very handy for ammo cans. It is a bit expensive at $0.30/round when I bought it. I only bought a couple of boxes to try. What I found is excellent accuracy. 30 rounds of this with zero issues, though it is smoky and smells a little. I probably wouldn't use inside if you can help it..

This is 7 rounds, at 7-8 yards, in.. well not 7 seconds, but it wasn't exactly slow fire.

After that I finished off with 20 rounds of Winchester 115 gr FMJ for a total of 200 rounds, with no issues except the hiccup with the SIG ammo. No cleanings since before I first brought the gun home, so 400 rounds total. I'll probably given it a cleaning this weekend now that it is "broken in".

Can't remember what ammo that was, maybe it was the Target Sports ammo still. I do need a lot of practice with the dot - follow-up shots were sometimes delayed because I'm so used to focusing on the front sight. This is my first handgun-mounted red dot (besides a Vortex Venom on my S&W .22 cal Victory which doesn't really count) - I did find the dot sufficiently bright, not sure what setting I had it at but it was not at max, and I was in the sun all morning. Mounting screws after the 200 rounds were still tight so no issues there.

Also I was using the red dot to rack the slide when I had to, no issues there either. Though if you have fat swollen fingers you might leave a fingerprint on the front - I could not see it looking at the targets. And yes, the sight DOES have a slight "fish bowl" effect. I did not find it distracting after a few mags. I read elsewhere that it seems to have like a 1.05x magnification which is possible.

The auto-shutoff works great; I open my safe and I can see that it's off, as soon as I pick it up it turns on. There is a very small rear sight kind of built-in to the Holosun 507k - I did not check the accuracy/POI difference with that. Mental note to check next time.

cornstalker
07-25-2020, 04:41 PM
Midway did, in fact, underpromise and overdeliver.

mrozowjj
07-25-2020, 05:02 PM
Midway did, in fact, underpromise and overdeliver.

I am very curious what you think of it.

cornstalker
07-25-2020, 05:06 PM
Tough to say yet. It will be a while before I get it mounted on a slide. Looks good on the table, other than being decorated like a race car. The lens has more distortion than I expected, but it remains to be seen if that is a functional problem when shooting.

The dot is crisp, and on setting 6 it is bright enough for outdoors and daylight. No scale model of the solar system like the Romeo Zero.

Kyle Reese
07-25-2020, 05:52 PM
I’ve ordered a 407K and am waiting for my Blue Label 48 to arrive. Once it does, the slide is getting sent to Buck at CHPWS so he can work his magic on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Up1911Fan
07-25-2020, 06:34 PM
I’ve ordered a 407K and am waiting for my Blue Label 48 to arrive. Once it does, the slide is getting sent to Buck at CHPWS so he can work his magic on it.

Same, only on a 43X.

cornstalker
07-25-2020, 07:50 PM
I have one of each. Haven't decided which one's first yet, so I might draw straws.

cornstalker
07-26-2020, 04:02 PM
For what it's worth, the Holosun looks like it may not work on all pockets cut for Shield sights. The SMS/RMS(c) cut appears to have four bosses. The Holosun 407k only has two recesses for bosses, and they appear to be pretty shallow.
I have just learned that the Swampfox Sentinel is set up for 4 bosses.

I don't recall what the plastic Sig garbage had. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

407k underbelly.

GJM
07-26-2020, 04:12 PM
For what it's worth, the Holosun looks like it may not work on all pockets cut for Shield sights. The SMS/RMS(c) cut appears to have four bosses. The Holosun 407k only has two recesses for bosses, and they appear to be pretty shallow.

I don't recall what the plastic Sig garbage had. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

407k underbelly.

I reported that a few weeks back, when my 507K wouldn’t fit in a direct milled RMSc 43X done by Primary. As an aside, the Romeo 1 Pro didn’t fit my DP Pro direct milled slide either.

cornstalker
07-26-2020, 04:20 PM
Oops. I guess old news is better than fake news. :p

Hell, I probably read that and forgot about it, too...

DaBigBR
07-27-2020, 08:35 PM
Holosun posted on your very topic of footprint compatibility on their Instagram account back in April or May. They talked about the bosses. I believe the issue was maintaining water resistance.

Onikudaki
07-30-2020, 05:12 PM
Received my 43x slide from the guys at CHPWS today with the 507k installed.

Their work, communication and turn around time was excellent; can’t recommend them enough.

Does anyone have a recommendation on sights that will clear the base of the optic (something similar or slightly lower than 1/3 co-witness ideally)?

I have some Ameriglo Defoor sights but I don’t think they will be tall enough to see through the optics window.

Mike C
07-30-2020, 06:27 PM
Onikudaki I am not sure what the height of the 507K is vs the RMSw or RMSc but I have the BOLD sights, they clear the base and are useable without being obtrusive.

GJM
07-30-2020, 06:33 PM
My 507K and 43X slide is on the way back from Primary Machine. Look forward to posting a report.

Poconnor
07-31-2020, 10:39 AM

Their work, communication and turn around time was excellent; can’t recommend them enough.

Does anyone have a recommendation on sights that will clear the base of the optic (something similar or slightly lower than 1/3 co-witness ideally)?

I have some Ameriglo Defoor sights but I don’t think they will be tall enough to see through the optics window.

What comp is that?

Onikudaki
07-31-2020, 11:11 AM
What comp is that?

Mayhem Syndicate

Onikudaki I am not sure what the height of the 507K is vs the RMSw or RMSc but I have the BOLD sights, they clear the base and are useable without being obtrusive.

Thank you! Will check dimensions on the Bolds and see what similar height options are available.

Shawnw
07-31-2020, 01:48 PM

407k underbelly.

Jagerwerks has now modified their rmsc cuts such that you can mount an rmsc or 407/507k.

ssb
08-02-2020, 01:40 PM
300 rounds with my 407K/P365XL combo and so far I am very impressed with the optic. The only issue thus far is that it does show some artifacts when shooting into direct sun. Nothing unworkable, but enough to be distracting during slow fire.

The rear sight regulates to a 6 o'clock hold at 15yds with my 147gr reloads. I would describe the BUIS as "present." I would not want to rely upon them as a primary sight.

DaBigBR
08-03-2020, 04:11 AM
A friend of mine just put a 507k on a Glock 48. I shot the FBI Bullseye (it was a drill of the week at one point) and managed a 282/300. I think that's pretty acceptable for a gun of that size. I really liked the way the sight made the gun handle.

noguns
08-03-2020, 08:27 PM

Which finish did you go with? Is that the factory Glock finish with just the milled pocket cerakoted?

My slide arrives at chpws tomorrow and I can't decide what color to cerakote. Thinking of flat black.Thanks

Onikudaki
08-03-2020, 08:30 PM
Which finish did you go with? Is that the factory Glock finish with just the milled pocket cerakoted?

My slide arrives at chpws tomorrow and I can't decide what color to cerakote. Thinking of flat black.Thanks

I had them only refinish the area they milled for the optic. So the rest of the slide still has the factory finish.

JHC
08-04-2020, 08:52 AM
My 507K and 43X slide is on the way back from Primary Machine. Look forward to posting a report.

Another Holosun model.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/08/04/he508t-v2-open-reflex-pistol-sight-from-holosun/

GJM
08-04-2020, 09:29 PM

Onikudaki
08-05-2020, 10:23 AM

GJM do those sights sit high enough to be visible through the optic window?

GJM
08-05-2020, 10:27 AM
GJM do those sights sit high enough to be visible through the optic window?

Not quite as good as with the Shield, but usable enough for back up.

Onikudaki
08-05-2020, 10:30 AM
Not quite as good as with the Shield, but usable enough for back up.

Does the built in rear sight on the 507k occlude any of the sight picture or is it not noticeable?

cornstalker
08-05-2020, 10:39 AM

When are you going to break...I mean shoot it?
;)

DMCutter
08-05-2020, 04:19 PM
I started carrying my Hellcat yesterday because I got my Pocket Locker Monday. Yesterday and today were both very low crawl intensive. I can't say that having it in my front pocket was any more noticeable than my 365 in a Pocket Locker; since I wear coveralls things in my pants pockets don't get all filthy, but when I pulled it out today the brightness was turned way down, no doubt from rolling around on it. I guess a holster that encloses the red dot would mitigate that. Or I should avoid gun fights as soon as I come out from under houses. Hopefully I'll get to the range tomorrow and confirm zero hasn't shifted. I wouldn't think it would be affected if it withstand Aaron C's abuse.

GJM
08-05-2020, 07:05 PM
I did a preliminary zero today with the 43X/K. So far ok, although these smaller optics strike me as being where the larger pistol optics were a few years ago. I also zeroed a SRO on a G45. Where I am almost ambivalent between irons and optic on a G43X/48, the G45/SRO combo feels like a force multiplier.

GJM
08-06-2020, 10:02 AM
I was hoping to run the 507K in auto using just the circle. Unfortunately, the auto setting makes the circle too bright, unlike the dot which seems appropriate intensity on auto.

Up1911Fan
08-06-2020, 03:09 PM
Just got my shipping confirmation for my pre ordered 407K.

1911Nut
08-07-2020, 12:58 PM
Just got my shipping confirmation for my pre ordered 407K.

Where did you order it, and when?

Up1911Fan
08-07-2020, 12:59 PM
Where did you order it, and when?

Kenzies optics, early April.

1911Nut
08-07-2020, 01:02 PM
Kenzies optics, early April.

Thanks. I ordered from Kenzie's in early June. I must be in the second or third "wave" of orders. Maybe next year!

Up1911Fan
08-11-2020, 02:05 PM
Just got my 407K in, going out tomorrow for milling. I think I'm really going to like this.

backtrail540
08-13-2020, 02:29 PM
Anybody running/plan on running one on a fullsize or full frame subcompact (g26, m2.0sc, vp9sk etc...)? Considering this as an option so as to not have to mess with getting irons and could run preferred sights as backup. Thoughts for or against? Other than it's not vetted and the footprint isn't as versatile as, say, the rmr footprint is.

1911Nut
08-25-2020, 03:48 PM
Kenzie's Optics just advised me that the Holosun 407K optic I ordered on June 10 will ship today (August 25).

During a discussion with Holosun CS some time ago, I was assured that the 407K would be shipped with the correct screws needed to mount it on my Sig P365XL.

I have a supply of Blue Loctite 242 on hand.

I think I am ready.

For the optic . . . . not for the USPS to let me down.

Mike C
08-25-2020, 04:17 PM
1911Nut I can't put you at ease about USPS but can tell you the 407K I purchased from another member on the board did in fact have the correct screws to mount on the XL.

1911Nut
08-25-2020, 04:43 PM
Thanks Mike.

Flat6
08-28-2020, 05:17 PM
I just received and installed mine today. Order date 6/29.

Crisp clear sight possible picture.

Fits Mapleleaf cut perfectly.

1911Nut
08-28-2020, 08:11 PM
The Holosun 407K arrived today.

Sounds simple, right? But not at my house!

Checked my mail and saw a notice that the USPS had delivered the optic to my neighborhood cluster mailbox approximately 30 minutes earlier. Walked to the mailbox and opened it. The package from Holosun was inside.

BUT . . . the asshole mail carrier had placed the package inside my box by opening a front panel/framework around my mailbox and a stack of nearby boxes, then closed the panel. So when I opened my box, I could see and touch the Holosun package/box, but I could not remove the package through the front door because the package was larger than the opening!

So, at the sacrifice of the skin on my hand, I reached into the mailbox and ripped the outer package off the optic. Only to find a smaller package. Which I ripped apart. Which contained the sturdy case containing the optic and accessories. Which would still not fit through the opening of the mail box. So I removed the case lid. But the main part of the case would still not fit through the mail box opening.

But I managed to turn the case up enough to remove the optic, instruction sheet, mounting screws, optic tool, etc. and get them out of the mailbox and place them into my pocket. I then reinstalled the lid of the optic case and closed the mailbox.

Then I walked back to my house, procured a pen and a sheet of paper, along with some scotch tape and wrote a note to the dipshit mail carrier advising him he needed to remove the case from my mailbox and place it in one of the larger boxes designated for packages so I could retrieve my optic case.

I considered using colorful language challenging the mail carrier's intelligence and heritage, but decided in this age of perpetually offended and sensitive people, I might be subjecting myself to a federal crime, so I refrained from voicing my full opinion of his service. Walked the note back to the mailbox and taped it to my mailbox door.

I returned to my home to install the optic on my Sig P365XL. My left hand looks like I spent the afternoon neutering bobcats from all the work I had to perform inside the mailbox.

Installing the optic on the pistol was straightforward, using denatured alcohol to thoroughly clean the screw holes, and applying Loctite 242 to the screw threads upon installation. Screws were torqued to 15 inch lbs. per the instructions, using my Wheeler Engineering torque wrench.

Then I discovered that the optic had shipped without a battery!

So it was off to town to a CVS drugstore/pharmacy to purchase a CR1632 battery. I arrived at the drug store a few minutes later and walked across the parking lot to enter the store when I realized I had failed to wear my face mask. Returned to the truck, retrieved my mask, put it on, and went inside.

Located the correct battery relatively quickly and got in line (at the prescribed proper social distance mandated by numerous signs and tape markings on the floor). Three cashiers on duty. One each on separate checkout stations. The third cashier appeared to me lost, dazed, or in a coma. Short wait, right?

WRONG. After two (2) separate price checks on register #1 and numerous calculations determining the value of about half a dozen discount coupons on register #2, the two 300lb. + female (I ASSUMED their gender) pinheads departed the store.

After four tries of attempting to get the bar code scanner to recognize the bar code on the package containing the battery battery I was purchasing, I was on my way home.

Total time for project: One hour 35 minutes

Total time actually spent removing the rear sight from my Sig, prepping the screw holes, installing and torquing the mounting screws, installing the new battery, reading the optic operating instructions, and adjusting the dot intensity on the optic: About 10 minutes.

I will get it to the range and get it zeroed this weekend if possible.

GJM
08-28-2020, 08:36 PM

Checked my mail and saw a notice that the USPS had delivered the optic to my neighborhood cluster mailbox approximately 30 minutes earlier. Walked to the mailbox and opened it. The package from Holosun was inside.

BUT . . . the asshole mail carrier had placed the package inside my box by opening a front panel/framework around my mailbox and a stack of nearby boxes, then closed the panel. So when I opened my box, I could see and touch the Holosun package/box, but I could not remove the package through the front door because the package was larger than the opening!

So, at the sacrifice of the skin on my hand, I reached into the mailbox and ripped the outer package off the optic. Only to find a smaller package. Which I ripped apart. Which contained the sturdy case containing the optic and accessories. Which would still not fit through the opening of the mail box. So I removed the case lid. But the main part of the case would still not fit through the mail box opening.

But I managed to turn the case up enough to remove the optic, instruction sheet, mounting screws, optic tool, etc. and get them out of the mailbox and place them into my pocket. I then reinstalled the lid of the optic case and closed the mailbox.

Then I walked back to my house, procured a pen and a sheet of paper, along with some scotch tape and wrote a note to the dipshit mail carrier advising him he needed to remove the case from my mailbox and place it in one of the larger boxes designated for packages so I could retrieve my optic case.

I considered using colorful language challenging the mail carrier's intelligence and heritage, but decided in this age of perpetually offended and sensitive people, I might be subjecting myself to a federal crime, so I refrained from voicing my full opinion of his service. Walked the note back to the mailbox and taped it to my mailbox door.

I returned to my home to install the optic on my Sig P365XL. My left hand looks like I spent the afternoon neutering bobcats from all the work I had to perform inside the mailbox.

Installing the optic on the pistol was straightforward, using denatured alcohol to thoroughly clean the screw holes, and applying Loctite 242 to the screw threads upon installation. Screws were torqued to 15 inch lbs. per the instructions, using my Wheeler Engineering torque wrench.

So it was off to town to a CVS drugstore/pharmacy to purchase a CR1632 battery. I arrived at the drug store a few minutes later and walked across the parking lot to enter the store when I realized I had failed to wear my face mask. Returned to the truck, retrieved my mask, put it on, and went inside.

Located the correct battery relatively quickly and got in line (at the prescribed proper social distance mandated by numerous signs and tape markings on the floor). Three cashiers on duty. One each on separate checkout stations. The third cashier appeared to me lost, dazed, or in a coma. Short wait, right?

WRONG. After two (2) separate price checks on register #1 and numerous calculations determining the value of about half a dozen discount coupons on register #2, the two 300lb. + female (I ASSUMED their gender) pinheads departed the store.

After four tries of attempting to get the bar code scanner to recognize the bar code on the package containing the battery battery I was purchasing, I was on my way home.

Total time actually spent removing the rear sight from my Sig, prepping the screw holes, installing and torquing the mounting screws, installing the new battery, reading the optic operating instructions, and adjusting the dot intensity on the optic: About 10 minutes.

Perfect example of why most instructions say “professional gunsmith installation recommended.” :)

DaBigBR
08-29-2020, 08:00 AM
Just wait until you finally get the packaging and find the battery stuffed in the bottom of a little slot in the foam...

1911Nut
08-29-2020, 03:12 PM
Just wait until you finally get the packaging and find the battery stuffed in the bottom of a little slot in the foam...

Jesus. That never occurred to me! Well, if that's the case, I already have a spare battery!

EzGoingKev
08-29-2020, 03:21 PM
The battery that came with my Holosun 507t was junk. It was dead 3 months later.

GearFondler
08-29-2020, 03:40 PM
The battery that came with my Holosun 507t was junk. It was dead 3 months later.
My 508T came with an Enigizer that lasted about 8 months, and that was on a pistol that was stored 5 days a week so the dot was turned off. Not good.

1911Nut
08-29-2020, 06:29 PM
IF I discover that there IS a battery in my 407K case currently residing in my community mailbox, perhaps it would be better to designate it for a less critical application I might have around the house. Not worth taking a chance on, I think.

DaBigBR
08-31-2020, 10:24 AM
Batteries are a hidden devil. Lots of junk out there. Lots of counterfeit stuff on Amazon.

ssb
08-31-2020, 10:36 AM
FWIW, the Duracell in my 407K is still going strong after 30 days of daily carry at 10/12 brightness.

EzGoingKev
08-31-2020, 10:40 AM
Based on what I have seen posted on LF all I have been running is Duracell batteries.

1911Nut
08-31-2020, 05:32 PM
Just getting around to using my new Holosun 407K mounted on my Sig P365XL, and have encountered a problem.

I have adjusted the intensity of the dot on the optic according to instructions in the Owner's Manual, and then used to the locking feature to lock the intensity at the desired level.

I have also adjusted the dot to go into the "sleep" mode after 10 minutes, as instructed.

Both those features seem to work fine.

What DOES NOT appear to be working correctly is the "Shake Awake Technology".

According to the manual. the sight will "instantaneously wake up and turn on with any motion detection to the last saved intensity setting"

My issue is that my optic does not respond as described. When the pistol with the optic mounted in placed in a stationary position for approximately 10 minutes, the red dot "goes to sleep" and shuts off.

When I pick the pistol up to use it, it takes several seconds and a considerable amount of shaking before the dot will turn back on. It always turns on, but the time delay is considerable.

Is this an operator error? Am I missing something?

backtrail540
08-31-2020, 05:59 PM

My two big holosun's both turn on before i can look through the window when i pick them up. Just for as frame of reference on the shake awake, as i don't have any k series dots.

tlong17
08-31-2020, 06:00 PM
Just getting around to using my new Holosun 407K mounted on my Sig P365XL, and have encountered a problem.

I have adjusted the intensity of the dot on the optic according to instructions in the Owner's Manual, and then used to the locking feature to lock the intensity at the desired level.

I have also adjusted the dot to go into the "sleep" mode after 10 minutes, as instructed.

Both those features seem to work fine.

According to the manual. the sight will "instantaneously wake up and turn on with any motion detection to the last saved intensity setting"

My issue is that my optic does not respond as described. When the pistol with the optic mounted in placed in a stationary position for approximately 10 minutes, the red dot "goes to sleep" and shuts off.

When I pick the pistol up to use it, it takes several seconds and a considerable amount of shaking before the dot will turn back on. It always turns on, but the time delay is considerable.

I have heard similar accounts from others across all Holosun optics. And others who report no delay. I think this is the reason for the best practice of not using the shake awake feature and just leaving the dot on.

1911Nut
08-31-2020, 06:09 PM
I have heard similar accounts from others across all Holosun optics. And others who report no delay. I think this is the reason for the best practice of not using the shake awake feature and just leaving the dot on.

My Google-fu may be weak. I researched the internet for sources of others experiencing similar issues and came up empty-handed. I appreciate your responses.

I had about come to the conclusion that the "Shake Awake" feature is one to be best left unused on a pistol. I was just curious if it might be something I am doing incorrectly.

Rick R
08-31-2020, 09:21 PM
I had about come to the conclusion that the "Shake Awake" feature is one to be best left unused on a pistol. I was just curious if it might be something I am doing incorrectly.

I’d contact Holosun the accelerator thingie is probably not working correctly on your sight. My 507c turns on if I walk across the floor too heavy footed near the table the gun is laying on.

GJM
08-31-2020, 10:29 PM
After messing around with a number of Holosun pistol optics, I have come to believe that whenever Trijicon is a possible answer, it is the answer.

1911Nut
09-01-2020, 12:19 PM
I spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out the operation of the 407K yesterday. The operating instructions are fairly clear, but leave a few things out. It would be a great help if Holosun (or someone else) would produce an instructional video to help understand the details of the many available adjustments.

After I posted on the forum earlier sharing the problem with the "shake awake" feature, I encountered further issues and could not get the optic to respond to other adjustment inputs as described in the operating manual, including one period of time when I couldn't get the damn thing to turn off.

Some of my problems were self-inflicted. For example, I initially did not realize that one cannot turn off the optic when it is in the intensity "lock" mode. Finally figured that one out.

At the end of the day, the optic now appears to be operating adequately. I can turn it on and off and increase/decrease dot intensity as described in the manual. What I cannot do with any repeatability is set the intervals on how long I want the dot to remain lit before "going to sleep" when it sits idle, or to "shake awake" in less than 12-15 seconds when it is in "sleep" mode.

So I chose to simply deactivate the "shake awake" feature . . . . but it wasn't easy. I clearly understand the instructions on how it is supposed to work, but it took me literally dozens of repetitions and lots of fiddling, including removing and reinstalling the battery a few times to finally deactivate the "shake awake" feature. It may just be a manufacturing flaw in my optic.

Now when I turn on the optic, it comes on and stays on until I turn it off. I'm going to leave it that way for a while and get the gun and optic on the range to see if it is going to hold up to shooting before I spend a lot more time fiddling with it. It will require significantly more vetting before I would feel comfortable carrying the Sig with this optic on it for anything other than a range toy.

If it doesn't fly off the gun or break down, I might send it back to Holosun under warranty to have the "shake awake" feature addressed. Not a good start for this optic.

LittleLebowski
09-05-2020, 10:53 AM
Everything is out of stock as usual?

LittleLebowski
09-05-2020, 01:09 PM
After messing around with a number of Holosun pistol optics, I have come to believe that whenever Trijicon is a possible answer, it is the answer.

Whatchu getting rid of? :D

EzGoingKev
09-05-2020, 01:12 PM
What makes you say that?

GJM
09-05-2020, 07:44 PM
What makes you say that?

I don’t trust “shake away” technology on any optic. The Holosun dots are often small, around 2 moa. The auto intensity on Holosun optics doesn’t work as well for my eyes as that on the RMR. The out of the box failure rate on Holosun optics is high compared to others. I do like that the Holosun display is typically larger than the RMR.

EzGoingKev
09-05-2020, 08:15 PM
I don’t trust “shake away” technology on any optic. The Holosun dots are often small, around 2 moa. The auto intensity on Holosun optics doesn’t work as well for my eyes as that on the RMR. The out of the box failure rate on Holosun optics is high compared to others. I do like that the Holosun display is typically larger than the RMR.
From what I have read online you either get a good one or a bad one. If you do not have issues from the start then the units have been fine. I definitely have not things like this about the RMR's.

I hear you on the shake awake. It can be one more thing to break. The shake awake function on my 508t has worked 100% fine. I honestly have not given it too much thought.

I disable the auto settings on my both my RMR and my 508t. My RMR is on my carry gun that has a TLR7 on it. I keep the brightness cranked up so the dot will not wash out with the light on pointed at a white wall. Since I have the dot cranked up I get bloom from the dot. Having the smaller dot is better for that.

Since I disable the auto settings the optic does not use the solar panel on top. I do not like how they disabled it for manual users.

I like the Trijicon optics controls. Part of that is because I am used to them because I have run the Trijicon much longer. I like how I can adjust the Trijicon using the rim of a cartridge. I really dislike the cost of the RMR though.

I want to put an MRDS on my Glock 43. Up until a few days ago the 507K was the choice for me. Now that Trijicon has released the RMRcc I am rethinking that.

Shawnw
09-10-2020, 06:44 PM
Jagerwerks has now modified their rmsc cuts such that you can mount an rmsc or 407/507k.

Follow up on this as I just got the slide back. Confirmed that They mill only front lugs. No fit issue with 507k.

Up1911Fan
09-12-2020, 11:21 AM

HeavyDuty
09-12-2020, 11:40 AM

Details, please.

Up1911Fan
09-12-2020, 11:44 AM
Details, please.

43X with a 407K direct milled with ZEV posts by CHPWS in a Tenicor Certum3. Just got the slide and optic back and it's pouring out so won't get to zero until later in the week. Can confirm Ameriglo Defoors sit too low to cowitness through the optic.

HeavyDuty
09-12-2020, 11:58 AM
43X with a 407K direct milled with ZEV posts by CHPWS in a Tenicor Certum3. Just got the slide and optic back and it's pouring out so won't get to zero until later in the week. Can confirm Ameriglo Defoors sit too low to cowitness through the optic.

Very nice - thanks!

vandal
09-15-2020, 01:12 AM
Received my Trijicon-infringing 407K v1 today and mounted it to my G48 cut by CHPWS.

No live fire yet but in dry fire I'm very pleased. No problems picking up the dot, much less blue tint, round dot.

I think the biggest load off my mind is removing the screw complexity. Since the side battery means I don't have to (hopefully ever) remove it, I don't need to source a second set of screws in whatever pitch this is to keep in the grip, and also the right Torx wrench for those screws... all of which are probably different from my other MRDS guns (G19.5 MOS and G45 AOS).

Only downside is the Ameriglo Agents are just slightly lower than I like. I mean I can kind of make out the tips if I'm pointing in on a white background but that's it. I didn't realize until looking at this picture that I am seeing the 407K "rear sight" inside the Ameriglo rear sight notch. It creates kind of a step-down that creates a ghosting effect for my eyes. Not sure it's worth changing them out, that will depend how the 407K runs!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50344439297_cfce4b6cd9_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jGLpQ6)

vandal
09-19-2020, 01:01 PM
Just had to replace the Duracell 1632 in my 407k after a week of it mostly sitting in a drawer. One range trip. WTF.

Xhado
09-19-2020, 01:07 PM
Just had to replace the Duracell 1632 in my 407k after a week of it mostly sitting in a drawer. One range trip. WTF.

did the 1632 come in the package or did you procure it yourself?

vandal
09-19-2020, 01:32 PM
I procured it myself. The one in the package was an Energizer.

did the 1632 come in the package or did you procure it yourself?

DMCutter
09-19-2020, 05:52 PM
My 365 slide came back from Maple Leaf Monday and I mounted the 507k I had sitting idle for the last 4 weeks. Zeroed it Tuesday and then came to realize that the shake awake doesn't work, even with a vigorous whack. I'm trying to decide whether I should send it back for warranty work/replacement or just disable the sleep mode and run it on manual. It's easy enough to just turn off at night and turn back on in the morning when I'm getting dressed. I guess I can make the argument that since shake awake doesn't work there may be other hidden issues, and since I have my Hellcat with a 507k I can certainly live without the 365 for however long it takes Holosun to turn it around.

stomridertx
09-20-2020, 12:47 AM
My 365 slide came back from Maple Leaf Monday and I mounted the 507k I had sitting idle for the last 4 weeks. Zeroed it Tuesday and then came to realize that the shake awake doesn't work, even with a vigorous whack. I'm trying to decide whether I should send it back for warranty work/replacement or just disable the sleep mode and run it on manual. It's easy enough to just turn off at night and turn back on in the morning when I'm getting dressed. I guess I can make the argument that since shake awake doesn't work there may be other hidden issues, and since I have my Hellcat with a 507k I can certainly live without the 365 for however long it takes Holosun to turn it around.
My warranty turnaround with them is not going fast, I started on Sept 1 and still have not received a replacement. Since you said you have another optic, best to send it in as there's no need to tolerate a feature that doesn't work for how much these cost. My new take on Holosun is I won't send one in for warranty unless I have a replacement backup in hand to swap out.

DMCutter
09-21-2020, 12:45 PM
I don't know what exactly happened, if anything, but I disabled the sleep mode then turned it back on set for 10 minutes, and now shake awake seems to be working like a charm. Honestly, when it's in my pocket it will never go to sleep anyway, so I guess I just need to verify it wakes up before I stick it in my pocket for the day. I'm kind of looking forward to cooler weather and sweatshirts so I can go back to my USPC9 OWB.

DaBigBR
09-22-2020, 11:56 PM
I picked up a 507k a few weeks back and sent my 365 slide to Maple Leaf. Just got the slide back and when I went to install the optic I found that I had two sets of screws with different thread pitches, both of which were wrong for the cut from Maple Leaf. I ended up grabbing a set from a 507c that I have on a C&H plate (which came with it's own screws and they worked fine. As near as I can tell, one of the included sets was a size too large and the other a size too small. Very odd.

I was also disappointed to find that the cut from Maple Leaf was not deep enough to use the factory irons. I'm sure this was unavoidable, but I wish their site would have said so so I could have weighed my options for new irons. I am still trying to sort that out but am teaching rifle stuff at work this week on evening hours so I haven't had time.

I did hastily zero it today (no rest used) and then put up a 275 FBI Bullseye with a notable left dispersion. It's probably a 290+ gun for me once I can get the zero hammered out. Also hit some 100 yard 2/3 IPSC size steel with it. Petty impressive stuff.

TCinVA
09-23-2020, 08:45 AM

The CR1632 has a typical capacity of 130 mAh:

https://data.energizer.com/PDFs/cr1632.pdf

...which is about 100 mAh less than a typical 2032.

As the 407K does not appear to have an auto-adjust feature on it, if you don't dial the optic down when it's not in use it's going to eat that capacity quick. Looking at the specs, the optic has 8 daylight settings. Setting "6" is advertised at 50,000 hours...and that's probably true. Every setting higher than that consumes exponentially more power. If left on the highest setting, you're looking at a battery life measured in days.

You likely need the highest setting to see the dot when shooting in daylight on a typical outdoor range.

The lack of a blue lens tint means the LED has to use more power to project a visible dot.

To be blunt, you have an optic that works about the same as the Aimpoint ACRO if the "shake awake" feature isn't working properly. The ACRO is a very good optic, but the design of the thing requires use of a very small battery with about half the capacity of the typical CR2032 battery. It is also manual adjustment only. If you want to use the 407K and the pistol it is mounted on as daily carry, you are going to have to adopt a proactive battery management strategy similar to what works for the ACRO:

- Turn the dot down when the pistol is not being carried
- Turn the dot up as you put the pistol on
- Proactively change the battery every 30 days
- Keep spare batteries handy

Shake awake is nice, but I wouldn't rely on it. Let's be real: Batteries are cheap and replacing them on the optics you don't have to dismount is easy. So it makes sense to mitigate possible battery failure with proactive replacement.

P226SAOFan
09-24-2020, 03:31 PM
407k in stock. Posted from r/gundeals and a few got tracking numbers so it seems legit.

HAVE15 for $15 off

vandal
09-26-2020, 06:47 PM
Today my 407K dot is flashing, letting me know the battery is low.

This gun has sat unmoving in the safe for most of the week.

Three days ago I reset the brightness level to 7 and verified the shake-awake is powering down the dot. Replacing the battery again today, so I've been getting ~ 1 week. This time I'll use the Energizer it came with.

As soon as BigTex gets another one in I'll buy a second and send this one back to Holosun.

GearFondler
09-26-2020, 09:32 PM
Today my 407K dot is flashing, letting me know the battery is low.

This gun has sat unmoving in the safe for most of the week.

Three days ago I reset the brightness level to 7 and verified the shake-awake is powering down the dot. Replacing the battery again today, so I've been getting ~ 1 week. This time I'll use the Energizer it came with.

As soon as BigTex gets another one in I'll buy a second and send this one back to Holosun.Sounds like a serious parasitic drain... First I've heard of this in a Holosun.

vandal
10-08-2020, 10:05 PM
Still waiting to find a 407K-x2 in stock before sending this one back. Until then... running it on brightness setting #7 with battery change every Sunday because that's when the reticle starts flashing to warn me it's about to tap out. Duracell seems to last one day longer than energizer. Whoopee.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50439926156_c96b3d377c_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jRcNKf)

Sounds like a serious parasitic drain... First I've heard of this in a Holosun.

ssb
10-08-2020, 10:30 PM
FWIW, I proactively replaced my battery in my 407K at 45 days. I typically use it at one click from max, with occasional drops to down 3 or down 4 at night. I do use shake-awake and have had no issues with it. At 45 days, I had no indications of battery failure. Battery was a Duracell. I carry the gun from about 7am to 7pm M-F, and also on whatever I’m doing on the weekends.

My 507K is on the original battery, but that lives on my practice gun and so shake awake should theoretically be keeping it off. Last I checked it was still going.

BigT
10-12-2020, 08:00 AM
Picked up my 407K on Thursday when the first batch arrived here. Unfortunately it doesn't fit the milling job for the shield on my G48. By a hair. Going to try get that sorted in the week.

GJM
10-12-2020, 08:13 AM
Picked up my 407K on Thursday when the first batch arrived here. Unfortunately it doesn't fit the milling job for the shield on my G48. By a hair. Going to try get that sorted in the week.

Same with my 43X direct milled by Primary for the RMSc — close but no cigar with the 507K.

TAZ
10-12-2020, 01:03 PM

Same with my 43X direct milled by Primary for the RMSc — close but no cigar with the 507K.

Aside from the bosses what dimension(s) are off?

BigT
10-13-2020, 07:22 AM
Aside from the bosses what dimension(s) are off?

Not sure just wont fit the last mm or two , off to see the gunsmith tomorrow

vandal
10-16-2020, 01:06 AM
507K arrived. Pleasantly surprised to find it's the Trijicon-offending version. It didn't quite drop into the CHPWS cut that my 407K came out of. It was a bit of a press (i.e finish scraping, but no filing) fit. I can see why FCD doesn't want to make plates for Holosun given the variability.

I've set the 507K to brightness setting 8 which seems bright enough for everyday use, and I'm starting the timer. Will try to carry it every day to make sure the shake awake is getting a workout. Really hopeful it lasts longer than the 6 days my 407K would last on setting 7.

I'll be starting the repair process for the 407K.

23JAZ
11-05-2020, 01:23 PM
https://www.aaaoptics.com/store/p103/HS507K-X2.html

vandal
11-07-2020, 06:51 PM
507K v1 has surpassed the three-week mark. 407K (6-day battery life) is in Holosun's hands

I've set the 507K to brightness setting 8 which seems bright enough for everyday use, and I'm starting the timer. Will try to carry it every day to make sure the shake awake is getting a workout. Really hopeful it lasts longer than the 6 days my 407K would last on setting 7.

BigT
11-11-2020, 03:05 AM
Looks like I have broken a 407K. Fitted it two weeks ago and fired 260 rounds when I did. Haven't shot that gun since then. Yesterday morning dot was good when I checked, in the afternoon it was dead. My first thought was that this thing has worse battery life than my Acro. Tried two new batteries , still nothing.

Agents have been good and will replace when the next batch arrives so this isn't a bitch, just a data point.

GJM
11-11-2020, 07:36 AM
Looks like I have broken a 407K. Fitted it two weeks ago and fired 260 rounds when I did. Haven't shot that gun since then. Yesterday morning dot was good when I checked, in the afternoon it was dead. My first thought was that this thing has worse battery life than my Acro. Tried two new batteries , still nothing.

Agents have been good and will replace when the next batch arrives so this isn't a bitch, just a data point.

This is consistent with my experience with Holosun products — they have a relatively high out of the box failure rate, but if you get through the initial period they tend to be reliable.

scw2
11-11-2020, 09:34 PM
This is consistent with my experience with Holosun products — they have a relatively high out of the box failure rate, but if you get through the initial period they tend to be reliable.

Waiting to catch a sale on the 507, but once I have one in hand and in light of ammo prices, would you expect failures to occur within a couple hundred rounds, or would it likely take many hundreds or even low thousands of rounds for issues to pop up?

GJM
11-11-2020, 09:48 PM
Waiting to catch a sale on the 507, but once I have one in hand and in light of ammo prices, would you expect failures to occur within a couple hundred rounds, or would it likely take many hundreds or even low thousands of rounds for issues to pop up?

Not sure, as I used to shoot enough rounds it could have been either.

RoyGBiv
11-30-2020, 05:53 PM
Have any 407K-X2's actually been sold here yet? Seems we're in limbo waiting for the first shipments?

If that's not correct, I've missed any comments from 407K-X2 owners and would appreciate the link...

Gracias!

TAZ
11-30-2020, 07:45 PM

I’m simply waiting for someone to have stock that lasts long enough for me to place an order.

LittleLebowski
11-30-2020, 09:20 PM
I ordered a 507K-V2 from Brownells on Oct 12th (backorder) and it shipped today.

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/electronic-sights/red-dot-sights/hs507k-x2-reflex-sight-prod137902.aspx

23JAZ
12-01-2020, 08:19 AM
I bought my 507K from this place. Fast shipping and decent price.
Looks like 407Ks are sold out but 507s are in stock.
https://www.aaaoptics.com/store/p103/HS507K-X2.html

LittleLebowski
12-01-2020, 03:53 PM
I ordered a 507K-V2 from Brownells on Oct 12th (backorder) and it shipped today.

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/electronic-sights/red-dot-sights/hs507k-x2-reflex-sight-prod137902.aspx

Do I need a plate for this on a G48 Brownells slide?

LittleLebowski
12-02-2020, 09:02 AM

DaBigBR
12-02-2020, 09:19 AM
To my knowledge, the 407k X2 is not shipping yet. Currently in the wild are:

507C X2 Red
507K X2
509T

I believe the green 507C has started shipping but they are not in stock at any distributor yet.

TAZ
12-02-2020, 02:44 PM

Probably. Brownells cuts the slides for the RMS which has the 4 bosses. CHPWS has a gen 2 plate for the mos that keeps most of the front recoil boss. Not sure about the cutout at the rear being part of the Brownells though. May try calling CHPWS and see what they say.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201202/ddd82fd9bf5f02d83fa0c63001f52f38.jpg

CMB
12-27-2020, 05:31 AM

We have the same type mail box "pods." I'd like an opportunity to speak to the genius who designed the openings to be DIFFERENT sizes on each end!:confused:

newyork
01-01-2021, 04:28 PM
If I were to have my non-mos 48 for a 507K, are standard height Ameriglo useable through the window or do I need tall sights like 10-8 48 mos sights?

23JAZ
01-01-2021, 05:44 PM
If I were to have my non-mos 48 for a 507K, are standard height Ameriglo useable through the window or do I need tall sights like 10-8 48 mos sights?
Sorry for the crappy pic. Can’t get the iPhone to focus right. Anyway you can just barely see the top of the front sight circle. The sight are agents with a .190 front. I’m looking for taller sights but haven’t been able to find a set that will work yet. IMO I think mos suppressor sights would be too to tall.

newyork
01-01-2021, 05:47 PM
Hmmm I wonder what would work.

vandal
01-01-2021, 06:36 PM
As stated Agents are barely visible... until you get that little line of hard to get at dust at the bottom of the window. Then they aren’t really useable at all.

newyork
01-01-2021, 06:50 PM
If mos suppressor height is too tall, what is just right?

23JAZ
01-02-2021, 10:15 AM
That’s what I’d like to know.

newyork
01-02-2021, 10:36 AM
I still have a blockage when it comes to a Chinese optic vs Trijicon but they don’t make a g48 sized optic yet.

Lon
01-02-2021, 11:09 AM

Not if you don’t mind grinding off the 2 rear bosses. That’s what my buddy did. Worked fine.

He’s using Ameriglo GL-506 which I personally think are too tall.

Lon
01-02-2021, 11:16 AM

Here’s what I use on my Brownells G19 slide with an SRO. I imagine, but can’t promise, this would work on a 48 MOS with a 407k direct mounted. They’re taller than typical irons but shorter than the normal MOS sights. Ameriglo sights.

newyork
01-02-2021, 11:25 AM
Would that be the same with a non-mos 48 (that’s what I have)? I’d be milling my 48.

Lon
01-02-2021, 11:26 AM
I still have a blockage when it comes to a Chinese optic vs Trijicon but they don’t make a g48 sized optic yet.

Isn’t the RMRcc a 48 sized optic?

newyork
01-02-2021, 11:27 AM
Only time I’ve seen a shop list it for the 48, was Maple Lead and they had it pushed all the way back which gets rid of your rear sight.
I haven’t seen it elsewhere but I may have just missed it.

Lon
01-02-2021, 11:31 AM
Would that be the same with a non-mos 48 (that’s what I have)? I’d be milling my 48.

I think it would depend on how deep your optic cut out is. The brownells cut is pretty deep compared to most. The only reason I THINK those sights would work with a 407k in an mos cutout is because the 407k has that built in rear sight cutout. Remember, I’m just throwing out a possible option. Someone is gonna have to do some measuring to see if it will work. When I was looking for the best sight combo for a lower 1/3 co-witness I mounted the optic and busted out the micrometer to measure what’s what before I ordered the sights.

newyork
01-02-2021, 05:26 PM
Got this I go from Jager

“ For a lower 1/3rd co-witness you will need the irons listed below. If you include these with your slide we will install them at no extra cost.

Rear iron sight - .225" / .125" wide https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-glock-mos-fixed-non-co-witness-sights/

Front iron sight - .220" / .115" wide https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-glock-standard-front-sights/”

LittleLebowski
01-07-2021, 08:41 AM
I didn’t want to wait for milling.

TAZ
01-07-2021, 10:43 AM
LL, assuming that’s the Brownells slide you filed the rear posts off of??

Would the CHPWS plate not work with the rear hump filed down instead? I have a plate and am thinking about ordering a slide, but would rather file on the plate vs the slide.

LittleLebowski
01-07-2021, 10:47 AM
LL, assuming that’s the Brownells slide you filed the rear posts off of??

Would the CHPWS plate not work with the rear hump filed down instead? I have a plate and am thinking about ordering a slide, but would rather file on the plate vs the slide.

Yeah, it was this one (https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-parts/slides/rms-slide-for-glock-48-prod133614.aspx).

I bought a CHPWS plate, it's not even close to fitting so I disregarded it. Everything looks fine with the 507K on and it shoots great, I checked for screws loosening after 24 mags shooting with richiecotite, no issues. It shoots great, but it's very tight and needed a lot of shooting to break in.

CMB
01-08-2021, 06:04 AM
Yeah, it was this one (https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-parts/slides/rms-slide-for-glock-48-prod133614.aspx).

I bought a CHPWS plate, it's not even close to fitting so I disregarded it. Everything looks fine with the 507K on and it shoots great, I checked for screws loosening after 24 mags shooting with richiecotite, no issues. It shoots great, but it's very tight and needed a lot of shooting to break in.

Did you contact C&H about their plate? I've been looking at their HK # 2 plate but not if they're dropping the ball like this!

newyork
01-08-2021, 10:27 AM
CHPWS told me they can do an rmrcc on a 48 but the rear sight has to be pushed in front of the optic.

TAZ
01-10-2021, 11:10 PM
Did you contact C&H about their plate? I've been looking at their HK # 2 plate but not if they're dropping the ball like this!

Can’t speak for C&H or LL, but the plate I was referring to was specifically designed for the 43X/48 MOS which has a different cut in the slide than the Brownell’s slide.

RoyGBiv
04-26-2021, 10:42 AM
Just got off the phone with Kenzie's. My 407K X2 has been on back order since December. Was considering cancelling and going with the 507K.

Gal on the phone said they just received shipping confirmation and tracking shows delivery to them on Thursday. This Thursday.

FYI.... She said they have enough in transit to fill 100% of back orders, plus 5 additional units.

If you want one, order ASAP. https://www.kenziesoptics.com/product/holosun-407k-red-dot/

RoyGBiv
07-09-2021, 10:19 AM
Any plates available for a 407K to MOS mount other than the CHPWS (https://chpws.com/product/v4-mil-leo-glock-mos-to-holosun-407k-507k)?

I see that Holosun has one listed on their website, but points to retail for purchase. Still searching for a retail location that has one.

TIA

ssb
07-09-2021, 02:31 PM
I tried a 507K-GR. For my eyes, it’s significantly brighter in daylight than my 407K. I’ve used the circle-only reticle in the past but stuck with the 6MOA for carry, but at this point I’m thinking about going green for my carry gun — the daylight brightness and lack of dot distortion/low sun angle problems sell me on the green. I’m wondering if it’s a vision thing, but Holosun’s red has always seemed noticeably dimmer to me than Trijicon or Aimpoint, requiring 11/12 for visibility and ideal performance only at 12/12.

GJM
07-09-2021, 04:24 PM
I tried a 507K-GR. For my eyes, it’s significantly brighter in daylight than my 407K. I’ve used the circle-only reticle in the past but stuck with the 6MOA for carry, but at this point I’m thinking about going green for my carry gun — the daylight brightness and lack of dot distortion/low sun angle problems sell me on the green. I’m wondering if it’s a vision thing, but Holosun’s red has always seemed noticeably dimmer to me than Trijicon or Aimpoint, requiring 11/12 for visibility and ideal performance only at 12/12.

FWIW, I don't note any difference between Holosun red and green in low sun angles. A single dot splatters equally, and the circle only works the same in red or green.

RoyGBiv
07-21-2021, 01:32 PM

Same problem on a NIB, just mounted 407K X2. Requires a harsh shake to wake.
Tried setting to always-on mode, then back to 10 minutes to off. No change.

Bummer.

Sent video to Holosun and requested RMA. Their RMA form is uninspiring, but it was pretty easy to reach a live person on the phone.

Very happy with the 6MOA dot, I think. Haven't shot it yet, but, seems easy enough to find in dry practice.
Co witnesses very well with Trij suppressor height sights on a G19.

Hopefully the RMA process will go more quickly than the 4-month backorder I waited for the original shipment. :rolleyes:

jandbj
07-21-2021, 06:48 PM
Just ordered a pair of Holosuns from Brownells. 407k-x2 with the 6moa green dot and a 407c-x2 with the 8moa red ring. See which the astigmatism prefers.

K will go on an incoming 365x, C will be tried on a direct milled G26 that currently wears an RMR. Hoping I picked my footprints correctly.

1911Nut
07-21-2021, 10:21 PM

Bummer.

Sent video to Holosun and requested RMA. Their RMA form is uninspiring, but it was pretty easy to reach a live person on the phone.

Very happy with the 6MOA dot, I think. Haven't shot it yet, but, seems easy enough to find in dry practice.

Hopefully the RMA process will go more quickly than the 4-month backorder I waited for the original shipment. :rolleyes:

Right or wrong, decided to just ignore the "shake awake" feature and bypassed it. I turn the dot OFF when I take the gun off and put it in my safe. I turn the dot ON when I take it out of the safe and holster it. The intensity is set at about mid-level. When the battery need replacing, it will take about three minutes to do that. I am very happy with the optic.

So happy that I ordered a 507 K X2 and have it installed on a CZ RAMI. I operate it exactly as I do the 407K, and so far, so good. I am currently experimenting with the multiple reticle options, and so far agree with George's comments . . . the circle/dot is good for EDC so far, as it allows me to "pick up" the dot quicker upon presentation. But for pure technical shooting, I prefer just the dot.

RoyGBiv
08-03-2021, 12:02 PM

Bummer.

Received a replacement 407K X2 yesterday, installed today, and appears that the wake function is working properly (very sensitive... tapping the desk it's laying on turns it on). Will reinstall with Loctite screws (provided), although finding a torque wrench for something this small might prove difficult.

Overall, a good service experience. 11? days from failure to replacement in hand.
Their RMA form is definitely a -1 star, but communication was solid by phone and email.