PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint PRO's for $359

jmjames
05-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Just saw on Facebook, PSA is offering Aimpoint PROs for $359:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/aimpoint-patrol-rifle-optic.html

I have no affiliation with PSA other than being a very occasional customer and "liking" them on Facebook, just though I'd pass it on. At this price I'd be tempted to get one just to have around, but I just mostly blew out my gun money in the last month...

J.Ja

DonovanM
05-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Geez, they're a steal at $400! I just bought and sold one... like my EOTech better by the barest of margins.

jmjames
05-08-2012, 10:44 PM
I just bought an H1 from them for $459 a few weeks ago (that's also a steal!). Even though I had to pay sales tax, it was still cheaper than anywhere else.

I don't know quite how they manage these prices. I think they cut themselves to the bone to build loyal customers. I know that keeping an eye out for a $459 H1 is a great way to get someone to follow on Facebook and view the site on a regular basis and get to the store every now and then.

J.Ja

Savage Hands
05-08-2012, 10:48 PM
This is a great deal!

orionz06
05-09-2012, 06:26 AM
Great optic, great price. I have one on one of my N4's and it has not exploded yet from not being a Micro.

bdcheung
05-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the heads up, just picked one up for my carbine!

Matt O
05-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Wow, I bought one last year at $400 and thought I was getting a fantastic deal. The Pro is a fantastic optic and $359 is definitely a steal.

jmjames
05-09-2012, 09:41 AM
They just sent an email out, this sale is limited to 4 days. That said, their normal price on it is $410, which is very nice too.

J.Ja

LittleLebowski
05-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Great optic, great price. I have one on one of my N4's and it has not exploded yet from not being a Micro.

Same here. I prefer my Pro, actually.

LittleLebowski
05-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Is the standard mount included?

jmjames
05-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Same here. I prefer my Pro, actually.

Any particular reason? When I asked for suggestions to help me choose between the H1 and PRO for my shotgun, everyone said H1 for the size/weight benefit (then again, H1 lightened by wallet by an extra $100...). Just curious, because i can see myself getting a PRO for a rifle/carbine in the future over the H1.

ETA: I do like that the PRO comes with flip up covers, I hate the bikini covers on the H1, totally useless IMHO...

J.Ja

jmjames
05-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Looks like it comes with the QRP2 mount.

J.Ja

LittleLebowski
05-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Wider field of view, 2 MOA dot without the asinine upcharge, comes ready to mount to your weapon, saves you lots of money. Also ridiculously long battery life and bombproof.

jmjames
05-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Wider field of view, 2 MOA dot without the asinine upcharge, comes ready to mount to your weapon, saves you lots of money. Also ridiculously long battery life and bombproof.

Makes sense, thanks! I'll give it a good, long look for a rifle/carbine when I finally get one together.

J.Ja

bdcheung
05-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Is the standard mount included?

Jeez I hope so, seeing as I just paid for it.

Matt O
05-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Looks like it comes with the QRP2 mount.

J.Ja

Yeah, it should likely come with the QRP2 mount, or at least mine did. FYI, the QRP2 makes it absolute co-witness (in case someone is planning on running fixed rears with the PRO).

Al T.
05-09-2012, 12:29 PM
a rifle/carbine when I finally get one together

An RDS would look very, very nice on that Marlin in the mean time. :D

bdcheung
05-09-2012, 12:36 PM
FYI, the QRP2 makes it absolute co-witness (in case someone is planning on running fixed rears with the PRO).

Can someone explain "absolute co-witness" to me?

I've got a fixed front sight post and Magpul MBUS rear.

jmjames
05-09-2012, 12:38 PM
An RDS would look very, very nice on that Marlin in the mean time. :D

I was kind of thinking the same thing... for $7 I can get a piece of rail drilled to match the receiver... but I do like being able to zoom for the intended purpose. The Millett DMS is very attractive to me for that rifle for that reason.

J.Ja

Matt O
05-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Can someone explain "absolute co-witness" to me?

I've got a fixed front sight post and Magpul MBUS rear.

I am a carbine noob myself for the most part, but here's my crude explanation:

Absolute co-witness means the red dot is at the same level as your iron sights. This can be an issue with a fixed rear sight as you would, in essence, have to look through your irons to see the red dot. Since you're planning on using the MBUS, however, which (I assume) you would keep folded down until needed, you should be good to go.

An alternative example, would be a lower 1/3 co-witness, where the rds is raised up a bit to allow an unobstructed view of the red dot. It's called lower 1/3 because when you use your irons, you're looking through the lower 1/3 of the rds lens, rather than right through the middle of the rds lens as with the absolute co-witness.

JAD
05-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Some of us don't completely hate an absolute cowitness, FWIW. To me, the dot is an enhancement of my iron sight picture. AbsCo means that I have the same head position regardless of which sighting system I'm using. Friggin' Luddite, I know. I run a Brown Mount.

cutter
05-09-2012, 01:06 PM
I ran a co-witnessed M68 RDS mounted on the hand guard rail on my M4 forward of the carrying handle since I never got a fold down sight my whole deployment. Worked out ok. With that and the PEQ-2 on the hand guards the balance was a little forward that was all.

jrm
05-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Aimpoint makes a spacer to raise it to a lower 1/3rd co-witness for 28 bucks on midwayusa if it's an issue. That's the setup the Army uses.

Matt O
05-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Aimpoint makes a spacer to raise it to a lower 1/3rd co-witness for 28 bucks on midwayusa if it's an issue. That's the setup the Army uses.

Ahh nice, I wish I had known about that back when I got my PRO.

TCinVA
05-09-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm a tad leery of buying an Aimpoint without handling it first only because I've encountered multiple specimens lately that display a "pregnant" or globular dot at any useful power level. I know that to at least some extent that's a vision issue, but my good old CompC and several other Aimpoints I've used over the years display a perfectly round dot. If I knew for a fact that the unit I would order would display a perfectly round dot, I'd buy in a heartbeat.

EDIT -

It also seems that now the price on the website for the PRO is $400.00, not 359.

Now I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for why that happened, but I'm also just as sure that few people are going to give a gosh darn about that perfectly reasonable explanation.

EDIT II -

Apparently PSA claims that their advertised price was somehow not kosher with manufacturer-enforced pricing policies and they had to up the price on the website.

bdcheung
05-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Thank you for your input.

Due to ruthlessly quick enforcement of manufacturer's pricing policies, we were forced to end the sale early.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

(http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1320663_Deal_alert__Aimpoint_PRO_for__359.html&page=4#i33748259)

TCinVA
05-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Can't say that I'm surprised. Someone who makes a publicity push of a fairly well known item at below MAP is asking other dealers to complain about enforcement of manufacturer policies.

bdcheung
05-09-2012, 02:48 PM
I got my order in well before the drama, so hopefully I'll be OK.

TCinVA
05-09-2012, 02:57 PM
I got my order in well before the drama, so hopefully I'll be OK.

I think by looking at the verbiage that anyone who placed the order before they had to adjust the price will get the original price...and perhaps even people who got their order in after the price change. But they can't come right out and say that or they're right back into MAP violation problems.

...and people think being in the gun business is cool. Blech.

bdcheung
05-09-2012, 02:59 PM
...and people think being in the gun business is cool. Blech.

See, if gun stores started selling fountain drinks, I'm sure they'd be swimming in cash.

jmjames
05-09-2012, 03:18 PM
See, if gun stores started selling fountain drinks, I'm sure they'd be swimming in cash.

If liquor stores sold beef jerky and Rolling Stones & Lynard Skynard albums, they'd be swimming in cash too. :D

J.Ja

jmjames
05-09-2012, 03:26 PM
I would NOT be shocked if I could still get it at this price *in the store*.

They used to often have H1's at $459, then they have been "out of stock" on their Web site for ages. But a few weeks ago I walked in, and bought one for $459, and it was their last one and they said that they had a bunch and had been selling them at that price in the store. I suspect that they are learning to NOT advertise cheap Aimpoints for this reason, but in-store buyers can still get 'em.

J.Ja