PDA

View Full Version : Smooth trigger for Glock 48 without reducing pre-travel?

DJC
02-21-2020, 02:43 PM
I'm looking to swap out the serrated trigger on a Glock 48 for some iteration without serrations. Don't really care if it's a flat trigger or curved. It just needs to be smooth-faced AND not reduce pre-travel from factory specs.

I just installed a Vickers Tactical Carry Trigger as it sounded ideal. Unfortunately, I'm getting a ton of drag from the rear tab of the trigger safety. No way it will work without modification, and modifying a safety component just doesn't sit right with me.

Best option?

cornstalker
02-21-2020, 02:45 PM
Following with interest.

SAWBONES
02-21-2020, 02:49 PM
I just installed a Vickers Tactical Carry Trigger ... I'm getting a ton of drag from the rear tab of the trigger safety. No way it will work without modification, and modifying a safety component just doesn't sit right with me.

Exactly my experience with drag from the tab, this on a Gen 5 G26.

I whittled down the trigger safety rear tab the tiniest bit, but it still doesn't feel consistent, and I share your concern about a CCW gun with a personally-modified safety feature.

blues
02-21-2020, 02:51 PM
I whittled down the trigger safety rear tab the tiniest bit...

I see your forum handle is aptly chosen. ;)

Eric_L
02-21-2020, 03:04 PM
I'm looking to swap out the serrated trigger on a Glock 48 for some iteration without serrations. Don't really care if it's a flat trigger or curved. It just needs to be smooth-faced AND not reduce pre-travel from factory specs.

I just installed a Vickers Tactical Carry Trigger as it sounded ideal. Unfortunately, I'm getting a ton of drag from the rear tab of the trigger safety. No way it will work without modification, and modifying a safety component just doesn't sit right with me.

Best option?

Buy a full size (19/17) trigger bar with a smooth face trigger. Remove the trigger from the bar of the 48, replace with smooth trigger.
I did this using the below video which is Johnny Glock. I am not an armorer.......

https://youtu.be/4oXnQP85v64

HeavyDuty
02-21-2020, 03:05 PM

Best option?

Press out the pin and sub the smooth shoe from a 17 trigger bar. Easy peasy.

cornstalker
02-21-2020, 03:10 PM
While the Overwatch Precision triggers reduce pre-travel, it only takes a few minutes with a needle file to put all the pre-travel back — it’s especially easy/fast to do with the polymer version. I modified a couple of the ones I had laying around and sent them to LittleLebowski and he seems to like them.

Does that then work with the standard SCD?

cornstalker
02-21-2020, 03:14 PM
Yes. That’s the reason I modified them. :cool:

Cool. If LL's haven't gone full-auto or anything like that yet, I will look into it. :p

DJC
02-21-2020, 03:20 PM
Haven't look at the video yet as I'm at the office but I thought removing the pin in the trigger destroyed the trigger shoe? I know when I removed the G48 trigger, I had to push the pin through the plastic on the other side. Do G17 (smooth) triggers allow you to remove the pin without damaging the shoe? Can you reuse the same pin?

If so, this is an ideal solution. I should have asked here first before forking over $40 for the Vickers.....

dontshakepandas
02-21-2020, 03:41 PM
While the Overwatch Precision triggers reduce pre-travel, it only takes a few minutes with a needle file to put all the pre-travel back — it’s especially easy/fast to do with the polymer version. I modified a couple of the ones I had laying around and sent them to LittleLebowski and he seems to like them.

Any chance you could share details on how to accomplish that? That has been the only thing keeping me from swapping all of my Glocks to that trigger.

cornstalker
02-21-2020, 04:39 PM
No full-auto, but it did increase mag capacity by 721.3%.

Lol. Gold. Solid gold.

HeavyDuty
02-21-2020, 05:39 PM
Haven't look at the video yet as I'm at the office but I thought removing the pin in the trigger destroyed the trigger shoe? I know when I removed the G48 trigger, I had to push the pin through the plastic on the other side. Do G17 (smooth) triggers allow you to remove the pin without damaging the shoe? Can you reuse the same pin?

If so, this is an ideal solution. I should have asked here first before forking over $40 for the Vickers.....

It’s simple:

1. Locate pin on hole side of trigger.
2. Place trigger pin side up on a mousepad or similar.
3. Using a small pin punch, tap the exposed end of the pin just enough to dimple the blind side of the trigger shoe. You’re transferring the location, that’s all.
4. Flip trigger over.
5. Using a pin vice and small bit, drill a hole in the thin plastic you just dimpled.
6. Take a straight pin and tap the blind pin out.
7. Reassemble in reverse.

In a pinch, I’ve even skipped step 5 and just tapped a straight pin into the dimple to push the pin out. In some ways it’s a cleaner method.

Alpha Sierra
02-21-2020, 05:41 PM
You want to get rid of the trigger face serrations.

Do they not sell sandpaper in your nearest hardware store?

JBP55
02-21-2020, 06:48 PM
You want to get rid of the trigger face serrations.

Do they not sell sandpaper in your nearest hardware store?

I have done this to quite a few and it is the easiest route to go without removing or replacing any parts or spending any money if you already have sandpaper.

Alpha Sierra
02-21-2020, 06:57 PM
I have done this to quite a few and it is the easiest route to go without removing or replacing any parts or spending any money if you already have sandpaper.

This forum is amazing. A solution that costs $0 and 15 minutes of your time doesn't even get mentioned until now.

What kind of guy doesn't have sandpaper?

I wanted spurless hammers on all my revolvers (four). The cash it would have taken to buy aftermarket hammers or pay someone to do it would have amounted to over $500 easy. Then I realized I have a dremel with cutoff wheels, sanding drums, polishing wheels, and sandpaper in grits from 320 to 2000. Over the span of a week I did them all and they look damned good. Even converted them to DAO.

Basic dude stuff

cornstalker
02-21-2020, 07:06 PM
This forum is amazing. A solution that costs $0 and 15 minutes of your time doesn't even get mentioned until now.

What kind of guy doesn't have sandpaper?

I wanted spurless hammers on all my revolvers (four). The cash it would have taken to buy aftermarket hammers or pay someone to do it would have amounted to over $500 easy. Then I realized I have a dremel with cutoff wheels, sanding drums, polishing wheels, and sandpaper in grits from 320 to 2000. Over the span of a week I did them all and they look damned good.

Basic dude stuff

Some guys know that they are going to make it lumpy and asymmetrical. Gotta know your limitations... :p

Alpha Sierra
02-21-2020, 07:06 PM
Some guys know that they are going to make it lumpy and asymmetrical. Gotta know your limitations... :p

LOL

HeavyDuty
02-21-2020, 07:31 PM

This. Plus, you are thinning the trigger down this way. That was how I put a smooth trigger in my long gone G36 years ago, quite frankly it sucked - and I’m a skilled modelmaker.

JBP55
02-21-2020, 08:03 PM
This. Plus, you are thinning the trigger down this way.

I hope you are joking but next chance I get I will measure each.

HeavyDuty
02-21-2020, 08:27 PM
I hope you are joking but next chance I get I will measure each.

Why would I be joking? You’re taking the trigger face down to the the depth of the deepest groove, and then contouring.

I don’t like kludges, but you do you.

YVK
02-21-2020, 08:31 PM
I apologize in advance for taking this thread sideways.

I have always changed my G19 and 26 triggers to smooth faced. I have recently got another G19 on a trade and I didn't have a spare smooth trigger, so I installed a serrated one. Went to the range, shot it a bit, looked at the targets, checked my timer, and then realized that I didn't really know why I was changing those triggers all that time.

Alpha Sierra
02-21-2020, 08:43 PM

I have always changed my G19 and 26 triggers to smooth faced. I have recently got another G19 on a trade and I didn't have a spare smooth trigger, so I installed a serrated one. Went to the range, shot it a bit, looked at the targets, checked my timer, and then realized that I didn't really know why I was changing those triggers all that time.

I positively hate any serrated DA trigger. But striker triggers? DGAF. The travel is so short, I can't tell a difference.

JBP55
02-22-2020, 12:33 AM
Why would I be joking? You’re taking the trigger face down to the the depth of the deepest groove, and then contouring.

I don’t like kludges, but you do you.

If you do not feel comfortable with this minor smoothing of the finger grooves Do Not Do It.

Squib308
02-22-2020, 07:23 AM
DJC the apex trigger is an option. It’s a flat faced trigger shoe. Due to trigger finger sting, I briefly had one in a 43X but found I preferred simply filing down the trigger blade/dingus such that it sits flush with trigger. If you want an apex G48 trigger shoe/bar shoot me a PM you can have mine for cheap. It has ~100 res through it.

Bucky
02-22-2020, 08:09 AM
DJC the apex trigger is an option. It’s a flat faced trigger shoe. Due to trigger finger sting, I briefly had one in a 43X but found I preferred simply filing down the trigger blade/dingus such that it sits flush with trigger. If you want an apex G48 trigger shoe/bar shoot me a PM you can have mine for cheap. It has ~100 res through it.

I’m very happy with the Apex kit in my 48.

RJ
02-22-2020, 09:19 AM
Good discussion.

I’ve got parts en route from Overwatch (DAT Trigger w bar, NP3 connector, NP3 safety plunger) because I wanted to try that same setup in my G43X (I have an Overwatch Trigger w bar in my G19 game gun. )

LittleLebowski
02-22-2020, 11:36 AM

Personal attack :(

CraigS
02-22-2020, 11:39 AM
How about a combination of filling in w/ JBWeld, and then sanding it smooth? The JBW is thin enough consistency that it may not even fill the grooves completely. You would probably need to put tape on the sides of the trigger to keep it from running away while it sets up.

HeavyDuty
02-22-2020, 11:55 AM
If you do not feel comfortable with this minor smoothing of the finger grooves Do Not Do It.

I’m plenty comfortable with doing the smoothing, I’ve done several over the last 25 years of shooting Glocks - but I feel the results are lacking. And trust me, I’m a skilled modelmaker that knows what I’m doing. It’s about the results.

By the way, I saw your original reply... sweet. Bye.

10mmfanboy
02-24-2020, 01:38 PM
I just swapped all my slim line pistols to the Vicker's Tango Down flat face trigger shoe. I like it a lot. It does nothing to improve the pre travel or anything, slightly shorter reset if you really pay attention to it slowly dry firing and resetting the trigger. It works just fine with a SCD as well.

dontshakepandas
02-27-2020, 03:56 PM
My Overwatch PolyDAT for my Gen 5 19 showed up in the mail today. I was anticipating having to modify it for it to work with my "standard trigger" gadget like Tom mentioned, but it works fine as is and the gadget lays flat. This is a pleasant surprise since my previous experience with one of their metal triggers wouldn't allow the gadget to lay flat.

The PolyDAT may have removed a very very small amount of take up, but since the gadget functionality isn't impeded, I'm not going to mess with modifying it. I'm VERY happy with the feel of the trigger and see absolutely no reason to pay extra for a metal version. I'd actually say the trigger pull on this feels better than the metal version I had before. I've got more on the way for my other 19 and my 48.

ssb
02-27-2020, 04:10 PM
Maybe the good people at Overwatch Precision have seen the light and realized that pre-travel reduction is teh stoopid (to use an internetism from a decade or two ago). I should probably buy another and check for myself.

I think there's a bit of tolerance stacking or whatever it's called baked in. On my two Gen 5 G19s with Overwatch TACs, one of my SCDs lays flush; the other is slightly pushed out, but I can only really tell when the two are side by side.

I can't speak to my 43X or 48 as the SCDs have been out of stock for those models.

Hideeho
03-01-2020, 04:13 PM
Apex Tactical trigger, Glock standard connector, Wolff 6LB firing pin spring. Takes out slack, adds positive feedback through press, has firm reset. I wanted a “people management trigger” that eliminated creep and Glock slack. Wanted consistent resistance through break. YMMV.

MolonLabe416
03-01-2020, 09:23 PM
https://www.ssvi.us/products/trigger

DJC
03-02-2020, 01:36 PM
Update-

I reached out to TangoDown about the rubbing of the trigger safety. They were VERY responsive. I received a replacement trigger within 2 days and was able to install and test it this weekend. It appears to be functioning correctly (no rubbing when pressed, still blocks trigger when not pressed). I like it.

Some good advice in this thread (also some unnecessarily snarky comments that were ignored). For me, the Vicker's trigger solves a problem that's always plagued me with Glock serrated triggers. It maintains factory pre-travel, is relatively inexpensive, and takes 5 minutes to install. While it's not ideal that the original trigger didn't work for me, TD stood behind their product and provided me with a replacement that works. I'm happy.

Oh, and it works with the SCD....

dontshakepandas
04-12-2020, 08:17 PM
I’ve now got polymer DAT triggers in 2 gen 5 19s and a 48 and am very pleased with all of them. They all work with SCDs with no modification as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

msstate56
04-13-2020, 01:44 PM
Little late to the discussion- but I’m using the already mentioned Apex flat tigger in several Glocks, including a 43x. I really like it- but for some reason it made the biggest difference in “feel” on the 43x. I’d put one on all my Glocks if I could- but dept. policy prevents that on the ones I use the most. 😞

Savage Hands
07-31-2020, 04:36 PM
So what is the “go to trigger for the 43x/48 at this time since they have been out for awhile?

Savage Hands
08-01-2020, 01:33 PM
Tom_Jones does Apex’s trigger play nice with a standard SCD?

Up1911Fan
08-01-2020, 02:54 PM
I have an SSVI TYR in all of my Glocks. I don't like a straight trigger like the APEX, but like the flat face of the SSVI.

jlw
08-01-2020, 03:25 PM

Personal foul: inserting actual data into a gear discussion.

15 interweb demerits and a loss of down.

Savage Hands
08-01-2020, 04:04 PM
Personal foul: inserting actual data into a gear discussion.

15 interweb demerits and a loss of down.

If I can avoid a sore and/or blistered finger for only shooting ~100 rounds out of these slim frame guns I’m going to do it. I rarely get out to the range, yet I usually shoot double that or more at a minimum.

Savage Hands
08-01-2020, 04:04 PM
I have an SSVI TYR in all of my Glocks. I don't like a straight trigger like the APEX, but like the flat face of the SSVI.

That trigger is another one I’m considering...

Hot Sauce
08-03-2020, 10:42 PM

I’ve now got polymer DAT triggers in 2 gen 5 19s and a 48 and am very pleased with all of them. They all work with SCDs with no modification as well.

So far, from reading the thread, the Overwatch Poly DAT is the only example of someone having multiple of the same model aftermarket triggers that work with a standard SCD and fit flush.

Is there any others where that is the case, like Apex and SSVI? An n of 1 trigger may fit a certain way because of frame tolerances, but if people are consistently seeing an aftermarket trigger work with standard SCDs just like a stock trigger... that would open up a world of potential possibilities that I'd love to know about.

Up1911Fan
08-04-2020, 07:12 AM
I have multiple SSVI triggers with SCD and they all sit flush.

RJ
08-04-2020, 07:22 AM
Good discussion.

I’ve got parts en route from Overwatch (DAT Trigger w bar, NP3 connector, NP3 safety plunger) because I wanted to try that same setup in my G43X (I have an Overwatch Trigger w bar in my G19 game gun. )

Just wanted to add to the info in this thread: Although I no longer have this pistol, the SCD I ordered in Feb for my G43X with the Overwatch DAT trigger, did in fact sit flush/flat at the back of the slide,

Hot Sauce
08-05-2020, 05:52 PM
I have multiple SSVI triggers with SCD and they all sit flush.Excellent! I'm curious, what generation of Glocks are you running?

For what it's worth, only aftermarket trigger I have is the Overwatch TAC. Does not sit flush.

Up1911Fan
08-05-2020, 06:18 PM
Excellent! I'm curious, what generation of Glocks are you running?

For what it's worth, only aftermarket trigger I have is the Overwatch TAC. Does not sit flush.
4 and 5 plus a 43X.

Hot Sauce
08-05-2020, 06:38 PM
4 and 5 plus a 43X.Nice. I'm gonna start hunting the For Sale part of the forum for an SSVI.