PDA

View Full Version : This Made Me Laugh

WDW
05-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Found this on another forum. This is the advice being given to a new shooter wanting advice on what gun to buy...

"I also shoulder carry a 1911 semi-auto which takes the same 45 ACP ammo, it is single action only, and for a revolver shooter is an easy transition. People will disagree, but imo the 1911 system is the best semi-auto design ever. And for $500 you can pick up a new reliable one made in the Phillipines (ie Rock Island)."

RoyGBiv
05-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Did he post a link to his training class or 'smith shop?

WDW
05-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Did he post a link to his training class or 'smith shop?

No, apparently this gem of knowledge is all his own :)

jmjames
05-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Hey, this weekend I took a class with a guy carrying a HiPoint, it ran all 50 rounds for the class with no stoppages. He had to use the HiPoint because his Fobus holster for his .380 (not sure as to the make/model) was "sticking". Go figure.

J.Ja

G60
05-08-2012, 10:06 PM
I enjoyed this gem from the same thread:
"The XD-M end of story, Looks WAY better than a glock....and just as good."

Nephrology
05-09-2012, 06:24 AM
I enjoyed this gem from the same thread:
"The XD-M end of story, Looks WAY better than a glock....and just as good."

"TRUST me, the guy at the gun shop who sold it to me is an Ex Navy SEAL and he said its one of the best guns money can buy!!

LittleLebowski
05-09-2012, 11:25 AM
We're fine so far but let's make a concerted effort to avoid forum warfare.

David Armstrong
05-09-2012, 02:03 PM
It's not just for the new guns. I recently had a go-round with a guy who argued the Texas Rangers adopted the Colt Revolver based on the success Jack Hays had using his 5-shot .45 Colt Paterson against the Comanches.

Long tom coffin
05-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Found this on another forum. This is the advice being given to a new shooter wanting advice on what gun to buy...

"I also shoulder carry a 1911 semi-auto which takes the same 45 ACP ammo, it is single action only, and for a revolver shooter is an easy transition. People will disagree, but imo the 1911 system is the best semi-auto design ever. And for $500 you can pick up a new reliable one made in the Phillipines (ie Rock Island)."

We must visit the same forums for sport. My most recent favorite nugget of internet gun wisdom is "Anything that is big enough to be fun to shoot is TOO BIG for effective CCW!". I later found out from pics that he posted that the guy who said that weighs like 400 pounds, wears shirts he obviously borrows from small children, and pocket carries a derringer. I guess you can't carry a g19 IWB when you can't find a shirt that completely covers your gut.

TCinVA
05-12-2012, 08:33 AM
Being fat has little to do with it...although I don't doubt that a lot of folks would find concealed carry easier if the lost some adipose. Concealed carry is a specialty of its own that requires experience and good gear. Just as with lots of other products, many assume that one piece of concealment gear is as good as another. When it doesn't work out, they assume it can't be done. I've seen the pattern over and over again.

Contrast that with a typical outing of PF.com members, where you will see guys who have at least two or three holsters in the range bag and who spend an hour and a half talking about concealment holster design at dinner.

People who are motivated are always looking for a better mousetrap. People who aren't hit the first wall and quit. Then there is that chunk of people who are motivated to go over the wall, but they're surrounded by the ones who won't and instead busy themselves trying to convince the impressionable that it can't be done.

Carraway
05-12-2012, 11:03 AM
The contrasting statements and attitudes between here and some other places I found when searching for information is why I signed up here. Of course, I've heard similar statements at some of the gun shops I've visited, as well, mostly from customers. I think the attitudes and misinformation are especially bad for new shooters. It can be ludicrously funny though.

I am a fairly new shooter but one who has been around guns all my life. I am also keenly aware that there are a lot of people whose opinions outstrip their knowledge in any subject, but it tends to become worse when it's something passionate. If I didn't have this awareness I'm a little concerned on what kind of path I would have been pointed toward. I at least hope that, no matter what, I would have known better than to believe a 9mm round won't penetrate winter clothing or ear protection is not needed when firing a .22 (I've seen both).