PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 21A Experiences

vaspence
05-08-2012, 03:11 PM
I bought a pair of these today (in .22LR) for a somewhat specific reason. A buddy of mine has enough trouble with his grip (medical reason that isn't getting any better) that even cocking the hammer on a revolver is difficult and just squeezing the trigger double action is not happening. He also needs something that is easy for him to conceal and access but is not quite like the average joe that frequents this site. That said, I've been keeping an eye out for one of these but stumbled across a pair at a good price. I'm under the guise he'll be able to manipulate and shoot this pistol well enough that it is pleasant for him and he will shoot more often.

Anyhow, just looking for any tips/experiences with this pistol.

Thanks!

JodyH
05-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Bought one back in 1991.
Its been flawless with Stingers and Mini-Mags as long as the chamber is kept clean.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

HeadHunter
05-08-2012, 04:45 PM
I have three and they work very well. It is worthwhile to add an ejection tool and tune up the sights.

Savage Hands
05-08-2012, 05:02 PM
I need to find one in California to check out...

vaspence
05-08-2012, 05:20 PM
I have three and they work very well. It is worthwhile to add an ejection tool and tune up the sights.

I apologize for my ignorance but what is an "ejection tool"?

Thanks

JRCHolsters
05-08-2012, 05:52 PM
I have one that's close to 20 years old now. It has a threaded barrel for suppressed shooting. It has never given me a problem.

JodyH
05-08-2012, 05:56 PM

Thanks
Something small enough to fit down the barrel and poke empty casing out if required.
A .22 cleaning rod cut down to about 2" long works well as does a pocketknife to pry casings out.
The 21A does not have an extractor and is susceptible to failures to extract if the chamber gets dirty and rimfire ammo does have the occasional dud primer which requires manual extraction.
Mine has been flawless with fresh CCI ammo and a clean chamber, but run a hundred bulk pack wax coated lead rimfires through it without cleaning and you'll start having problems.

JHC
05-08-2012, 06:24 PM
I had one back in the '80's and it worked well. I wish I'd snagged a Model 71 (.22) back then. They've gotten pretty expensive now.

Joe Mac
05-08-2012, 09:16 PM
I owned one for a while too, in the 90s. No issues at all with reliability. It fed Stingers slicker than snot on a doorknob...

It's not much of a pistol to fight with, but I definitely see a purpose for it: as a 2nd or 3rd gun when you might otherwise not have room for another.

SecondsCount
05-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Something small enough to fit down the barrel and poke empty casing out if required.
A .22 cleaning rod cut down to about 2" long works well as does a pocketknife to pry casings out.
The 21A does not have an extractor and is susceptible to failures to extract if the chamber gets dirty and rimfire ammo does have the occasional dud primer which requires manual extraction.
Mine has been flawless with fresh CCI ammo and a clean chamber, but run a hundred bulk pack wax coated lead rimfires through it without cleaning and you'll start having problems.

I agree. A friend has one and anything beyond 100 rounds with bulk ammo and it starts to have issues. Surprisingly reliable up until that point.

ACP230
05-08-2012, 10:18 PM
I have one and sometimes use it as an ankle piece on car trips.

It works well with most of the .22 ammo I have now, but hated some old CCI Stingers I had when I bought it. Shoot at the middle of a standard target
at 10 meters and hit the corners with keyholes.
It really liked some other high-velocity CCI ammo that has been discontinued. Should have bought more. Plated Federal bulk pack rounds work quite well.

I found out that a case left in the chamber will often fly out if I trip the barrel release. The barrel goes up and forward as it opens and the case flies off to the right.

Tamara
05-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Anyhow, just looking for any tips/experiences with this pistol.

Thanks!
The only problem I've had with the little DA Berettas is that if I use the first crease of my trigger finger to pull the trigger, the tip of my finger can bottom out against the frame before the sear breaks. I have to be conscious of using the pad of the finger.

The Bobcats are good little pistols that run well with good ammo and that don't suffer the longevity problems of the .32 Tomcats.

Joe in PNG
05-09-2012, 06:00 AM
I grabbed one the other day as a backup BUG and fun gun.

HeadHunter
05-09-2012, 06:56 AM

Thanks
I slot the left grip with a hacksaw and put a heavy piece of wire in the slot so the tool is always with the gun. On the one with the CT laser, I bought a longer allen wrench to adjust the W/E and use that instead of wire.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/HeadHunter_album/Pocket%20Pistols/Oldman001.jpg

vaspence
05-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Thanks to all for the responses! And to Headhunter and JodyH for the tip on the tool. I honestly thought there was some Beretta part I was unaware of.:D Looks like a simple mod, I'll give it a go.

Anyone got a line on a kydex holster suitable for pocket or purse?

Thanks again!

37th Mass
05-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Great tip HeadHunter!:D That should be a sticky on the Beretta forum!