PDA

View Full Version : Pocket knife coming out when clearing cover garment

cornstalker
02-18-2020, 10:26 AM
Not sure if this is the right place for the question.

I carry a basic CRKT folder to serve boxcutter duty every day. I carry it on it's clip in my strong side front pocket.

When clearing my cover garment for a draw, I find that the knife frequently gets flipped out on to the ground.

How do you guys carry your folder to prevent this? (Or perhaps I should look for a different type of clip?)

Also, if you are aware of a thread that addresses this, please link it.
(My search didn't easily turn anything up)

vcdgrips
02-18-2020, 10:37 AM
In my limited experience, catching the clip, be it a knife, flashlight, pen, etc is simply par for the course. Some clips are better than other and some cover garments are better than other i.e. I had less issues with a closed front garment.

As such, I simply put the knife in my pocket. If your light is small enough, that can be done as well or you can put it on the belt line in any number of carriers. Frankly, another reason I carry my knife with a clip in my pocket the vast majority of the time is that I do not wish to tell those who pay attention that I am carrying a knife.

FWIW

snow white
02-18-2020, 10:42 AM
My shurfire EDCL2-T frequently ends up on my daughter's shoes with the pocket clip caught in the laces when I'm carrying her in my arms. Enough so that I'm passively looking for a replacement clip for it, I feel your pain.

BillSWPA
02-18-2020, 11:35 AM
MXG Gear makes aftermarket pocket clips for Spyderco and a variety of other knife brands. Most of my Delicas have their clips. Their black clips are epoxy powder coated rather than painted, so the color will not come off. I prefer the deep carry clip for dress slacks, but prefer the standard clip for jeans, since the deep carry clip will catch the screws on the lip of a jeans pocket during a draw.

Cold Steel pocket clips are particularly tight, to the point where I have had to loosen them on my non carbon fiber Cold Steel knives. Even loosened, those knives are not going anywhere once clipped to a pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blues
02-18-2020, 11:45 AM
I've had it happen with seat belts and such but never when pulling up my shirt to draw...and I have never purchased an aftermarket clip for my folders.

There are several companies that specialize in deeper carry clips as alluded to above, however.

Doc_Glock
02-18-2020, 11:50 AM
When clearing my cover garment for a draw, I find that the knife frequently gets flipped out on to the ground.

How do you guys carry your folder to prevent this? (Or perhaps I should look for a different type of clip?)

Sometimes you have to adjust which pocket it is clipped to.

I quit carrying a clipped on folder for this reason and because they tore up my pockets. And the clip scratched finishes on cars and other things I was leaning against. And the clip got caught on something else and ejected the knife/flashlight from the pocket. I just got sick of it.

My solution was to just drop it in the pocket. Same for flashlight. It hasn't been a problem for pretty much any task.

I am actually wondering why the hell clipped to pocket anything became the fashion.

Clusterfrack
02-18-2020, 12:23 PM
I've never had that happen, but if it did that would be a dealbreaker. I stopped using Surefire lights because the pocket clips kept catching on stuff and bending.

I want my knife to stay in my pocket until I need it. That includes garment-clearing, grappling, falling etc.

Are you clearing for AIWB or Strong Side carry?

cornstalker
02-18-2020, 12:49 PM
I've never had that happen, but if it did that would be a dealbreaker. I stopped using Surefire lights because the pocket clips kept catching on stuff and bending.

I want my knife to stay in my pocket until I need it. That includes garment-clearing, grappling, falling etc.

Are you clearing for AIWB or Strong Side carry?

Mainly AIWB. I have had it happen with hoodies, button shirts not tucked in and two kinds of jackets.

I have also had it happen with strong side carry and a hoodie.

Clusterfrack
02-18-2020, 12:59 PM
Mainly AIWB. I have had it happen with hoodies, button shirts not tucked in and two kinds of jackets.

I have also had it happen with strong side carry and a hoodie.

Something is wrong with that knife. Is it a loose clip?

cornstalker
02-18-2020, 01:02 PM
Something is wrong with that knife. Is it a loose clip?

It's tight, but has an outward bend at the bottom.

Time for a boxcutter with a different clip, I guess.

Clusterfrack
02-18-2020, 01:45 PM
I've found that the Spyderco wire clips are the best for avoiding snagging. How about a Delica?

EDIT: whoops. Delica doesn't have the wire clip... Dragonfly or Sage do, among others.

BillSWPA
02-18-2020, 03:13 PM
My Spyderco Waved Delicas and Enduras are among my favorite knives, but the clips are definitely snag-prone, particularly on seat belts. The MXG Gear clips - both the standard style and low profile style - are superior.

kobuksonhwacha
02-18-2020, 04:02 PM
RCS Pocket Shield.

BillSWPA
02-18-2020, 04:04 PM
Sometimes you have to adjust which pocket it is clipped to.

I quit carrying a clipped on folder for this reason and because they tore up my pockets. And the clip scratched finishes on cars and other things I was leaning against. And the clip got caught on something else and ejected the knife/flashlight from the pocket. I just got sick of it.

My solution was to just drop it in the pocket. Same for flashlight. It hasn't been a problem for pretty much any task.

I am actually wondering why the hell clipped to pocket anything became the fashion.

Two reasons:

I have found that knives clipped to a pocket are less likely to fall out of the pocket than a knife that is simply dropped in the pocket.

When a knife is needed RIGHT NOW, it is faster than having to dig through a bunch of other stuff in a pocket to find the knife oriented the wrong way for opening it quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmc45414
02-18-2020, 05:44 PM
I've found that the Spyderco wire clips are the best for avoiding snagging.
Dragonfly or Sage do, among others.
I just got a Para 3 Lightweight, and kinda like the clip.

StraitR
02-18-2020, 06:05 PM
In my experience, this boils down to clip design, clip strength, and part clothing. I have one (singular) work shirt that's cut and hemmed in such a way that it will pull any of three CRK (Sebenza's/Inkosi) folders out of my pocket if I reach above my head and it catches. Part of that is due to the shirt, the other part is due to the clip design. No manner of tightening the clips has changed the outcome with that shirt. Same shirt will not pull out other knives (Strider/Spyderco) regardless of how I move. And, none of my other shirts have ever pulled any of the CRK's out of my pocket.

Blades
02-18-2020, 06:23 PM
It's tight, but has an outward bend at the bottom.

Time for a boxcutter with a different clip, I guess.

I have bent the tip in on the bottom of a few knife clips and it has helped.

Joe S
02-18-2020, 07:54 PM
I have bent the tip in on the bottom of a few knife clips and it has helped.

This. Takes a couple seconds with a pair of pliers.

Redhat
02-18-2020, 08:46 PM
I don't suppose the knife could be clipped to the back pocket?

BillSWPA
02-18-2020, 09:14 PM
I don't suppose the knife could be clipped to the back pocket?

I have found that knives clipped to back pockets are much more likely to stab me when they come open accidentally as well as more likely to damage whatever chair, car seat, etc. in which I may sit.

Redhat
02-18-2020, 09:17 PM
I have found that knives clipped to back pockets are much more likely to stab me when they come open accidentally as well as more likely to damage whatever chair, car seat, etc. in which I may sit.

Interesting. I always put the blade side against the edge of my pocket when I carried that way (and still do it even in the front) but, they did eventually wear a hole in the pocket.

Maybe a nice kydex sheath would work for the OP. Get rid of the clip altogether.

BillSWPA
02-18-2020, 09:20 PM
Interesting. I always put the blade side against the edge of my pocket when I carried that way (and still do it even in the front) but, they did eventually wear a hole in the pocket.

Maybe a nice kydex sheath would work for the OP. Get rid of the clip altogether.

I do something similar. The vast majority of my knives are tip up, which I prefer, and which I normally carry very close to the back edge of the front pocket, making it impossible for them to open accidentally. So, on one of the few occasions when I took one of these knives and put it up against the front edge of the back pocket, it did not go well.

Redhat
02-18-2020, 09:22 PM
I do something similar. The vast majority of my knives are tip up, which I prefer, and which I normally carry very close to the back edge of the front pocket, making it impossible for them to open accidentally. So, on one of the few occasions when I took one of these knives and put it up against the front edge of the back pocket, it did not go well.

If you don't mind me asking, what knife was it? Action type?

BillSWPA
02-18-2020, 09:25 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what knife was it? Action type?

The specific knife was a Masters of Defense Michael Janich liner lock knife that I carried frequently around 1999-2000. The liner lock did little to hold the blade closed, and without the blade against the edge of the pocket, the knife worked its way open when I shoved something else in the back pocket.

I currently carry either Waved Spyderco Delicas and Enduras, or Cold Steel Storm Clouds and Recon 1, all of which are much better at staying closed when they need to stay closed.

Redhat
02-18-2020, 09:32 PM
The specific knife was a Masters of Defense Michael Janich liner lock knife that I carried frequently around 1999-2000. The liner lock did little to hold the blade closed, and without the blade against the edge of the pocket, the knife worked its way open when I shoved something else in the back pocket.

I currently carry either Waved Spyderco Delicas and Enduras, or Cold Steel Storm Clouds and Recon 1, all of which are much better at staying closed when they need to stay closed.

I've had some knives with that same characteristic and reached the conclusion I needed something more safe as well...maybe there's a place for a thin "pocket holster" for knives?

BillSWPA
02-18-2020, 09:40 PM
I've had some knives with that same characteristic and reached the conclusion I needed something more safe as well...maybe there's a place for a thin "pocket holster" for knives?

I believe some have been made at various times but I don't know that any have caught on. I have found that better knife designs carried in a safer way is a better solution.

The problem with any liner lock is that the corner of the lock bar closest to the cutting edge of the blade will experience significant wear and tear, eventually failing to hold the knife open. Frame locks are supposed to reduce the problem, but will eventually experience the same issue, in addition to interference from the lock bar to opening the knife. I have come to prefer rocker bar locks and ball bearing locks, which protect my fingers when open and have a reasonably strong bias towards closure when closed.

GJM
02-18-2020, 11:24 PM
Not sure if this is the right place for the question.

I carry a basic CRKT folder to serve boxcutter duty every day. I carry it on it's clip in my strong side front pocket.

Also, if you are aware of a thread that addresses this, please link it.
(My search didn't easily turn anything up)

If Amazon went to a “pull to open” box design, knife sales would probably plummet.

My Spyderco and light ride in my left front pocket, because while slower to access there, they are secure and don’t advertise their presence.

SCCY Marshal
02-19-2020, 12:50 PM
I carry slip-joint knives in the pocket so no clip to catch. My belt-mounted support side appendix Bowie-pattern CRKT Minimalist has never been an issue. Nor has my ASP Key Defender with QD keyring tucked into my waistband support-side appendix.

LtDave
02-20-2020, 08:47 PM
If you guys would just switch to shooting left handed and carrying the knife on the right side...

I was thinking that losing the knife on drawing never happened to me and then I realized...

Hambo
02-21-2020, 06:43 AM

The only time I've a knife open up in my pocket, was in a back pocket. Ruined a pair of pants but didn't stick me.

CRKT clips benefit from a little adjustment with pliers. Mine now clips much more securely than it did from the factory.

cornstalker
02-21-2020, 09:25 AM
I re-sculpted my CRKT clip in a bench vise. I think it will work. Thanks for all of the input.

I had a Kershaw assisted opening knife come open in my front pocket. Sold it the next day.

FAS1
02-21-2020, 09:41 AM
I carry a pretty large folding knife, a Spyderco C07. It is really slim and I usually don't have a tucked in shirt so I usually carry it clipped on the rear of my pants/shorts near the small of my back, but slightly to the right. I have carried this knife daily for probably 25 years and haven't lost it yet.

JohnO
02-21-2020, 09:51 AM
If your primary concern is what happens to your clip knife when clearing a cover garment perhaps you should carry the knife elsewhere. Depending on what the intended uses for that knife are I can make an argument that you would be better served if it was carried away from your strong side.

cornstalker
02-21-2020, 09:54 AM
If your primary concern is what happens to your clip knife when clearing a cover garment perhaps you should carry the knife elsewhere. Depending on what the intended uses for that knife are I can make an argument that you would be better served if it was carried away from your strong side.

Noted. The other real estate is pretty well used up and I am committed to trying to find a solution that does not cause me to relearn a habit. That's my first choice, anyways.

Redhat
02-21-2020, 10:55 AM
I re-sculpted my CRKT clip in a bench vise. I think it will work. Thanks for all of the input.

I had a Kershaw assisted opening knife come open in my front pocket. Sold it the next day.

Yup, that's why I no longer have any interest in assisted opening knives.

Rex G
02-23-2020, 11:22 AM
I see that the OP’s situation has been resolved, but I do have some thoughts, for future readers, based upon carrying clipped-in knives since the Eighties. I have lost several clipped-in knives, over time, including my Spyderco Mariner, but still have my first Spyderco Police.

No solution is fool-proof. When I think I have the problem solved, well, I will find a way to elevate my level of foolishness beyond the proof-tested level.

Carrying the knife on the side opposite the firearm can solve solve some problems, but cause or worsen other problems. My longest-carried daily-carry knife has always been a lefty knife, and I still normally carry the primary handgun in the 0200-0330 area. (I am left-handed, but right-armed, so use some weapons more naturally lefty, and other more naturally righty.)

An OWB holster will tend to keep the outer garment away from the pocket clip, if the knife and holsters are on the same side. I have yet to default to AIWB carry, usually carrying OWB, which protects a knife clipped into the right front pocket. (I used to use behind-the-hip IWB, much/most of the time, but as my right shoulder has aged, favor keeping my weapons closer to the front, these days.)

Hems, in some cover garments, snag worse than others. Some pocket clips snag worse than others. Some combinations of these two factors are absolutely foolish, and others are nearly fool-proof. One of my favored cover garments falls into the absolutely snag-prone category, so I have to allow for it.

Pocket clip tension is a thing. The shape and tension of the clips on my Tarani Masters Karambits (pre-5.11, made by Blade-Tech for the original Karambit dot com) are as good as anything I have used, but I do not know if this applies to newer 5.11 Tarani Karambits.

Trousers design matters. The VertX trousers I am wearing, at this moment, have a measurement, from the lower edge of the front pocket, to the top of the cargo pocket, that results in the seam at the top of the cargo pocket acting to shield the lower extremity of the pocket clip. Most things moving along/across the pocket clip will be unable to snag the tip of the clip, including that vest, mentioned above, that tries to snag everything. Most clips tend to be similar in length, but this particular knife is a Crawford Custom Knives Kasper folder.

Tip-down carry is less likely to result in self-inflicted injuries, BUT, if carrying tip-down, never reach into a pocket, past a tip-down clipped-in knife. (Paul Gomez, himself, helped me stop the bleeding, and applied the bandage, ECQC, 2005-ish.)

Warped Mindless
02-23-2020, 01:09 PM
Wear shorter shirts, change pockets, or getting a better designed clip.

Somewhat related, I stopped carring a pocket knife. ll my expansive benchmades and zero tolerance knives mostly stay in the safe now. Instead I slip a Leatherman wave into the little coin pocket on the right side. The knife on it is plenty good enough for everyday task and it has tons of other uses too.

Of course, I often have a a small fixed blade IWB so I have that if needing a bigger blade.

Wendell
02-23-2020, 04:10 PM
It's tight, but has an outward bend at the bottom...

Don't be afraid to modify the clip to suit your needs. Just remove the clip and then give it a gentle tweak. Then try it again.

El Cid
02-24-2020, 07:39 PM
I agree with those saying to find a better clip or a knife with a better one. I have a late 90’s Spyderco Civilian that would dump when clearing a concealing shirt. Been using Emerson for daily carry (SOCFK and M-Wave) since about 2003 and have never had that issue.