PDA

View Full Version : Broken TRS on Beretta 92

Trooper224
02-15-2020, 05:54 PM
The TRS just broke on my training gun. Conservatively, this one had 60-70k pulls on it. Probably more, since I don't log dry fire practice. A hardly definitive sample of one, but an interesting data point. I'm going to replace it with a chrome silicone spring from Wilson and see how long that lasts.

fpnunes
02-15-2020, 06:42 PM
65k+ pulls on a TRS pretty outstanding in my book. I'd imagine the Wilson part will likely last longer but nothing is guaranteed.

LockedBreech
02-15-2020, 07:12 PM
Dang, you got your moneys worth on that TRS, I don't think I have 65K pulls across all 3 92s.

JonInWA
02-15-2020, 07:22 PM
65k+ pulls on a TRS pretty outstanding in my book. I'd imagine the Wilson part will likely last longer but nothing is guaranteed.

Actually, Wilson is guaranteeing it as a lifetime component, but we'll see. I'm running the same in mine as well; it's held up well for the year or so I've been running with it.

Best, Jon

Trooper224
02-15-2020, 08:06 PM
Actually, Wilson is guaranteeing it as a lifetime component, but we'll see. I'm running the same in mine as well; it's held up well for the year or so I've been running with it.

Best, Jon

They've made the same claim about their flatwire springs for the 1911 and 92. My experience has shown that not to be true. I don't expect the TRS to be an exception.

M2CattleCo
02-15-2020, 08:34 PM
Well, 60-70K pulls probably greatly exceeds most non-p.f. lifetimes!

JonInWA
02-15-2020, 08:59 PM
They've made the same claim about their flatwire springs for the 1911 and 92. My experience has shown that not to be true. I don't expect the TRS to be an exception.

I'm in shock, absolute shock, I tell you...

Best, Jon

10mmfanboy
02-15-2020, 10:31 PM
Congratulations! That is an impressive number, I have to remind myself to add all the dry fire into my round count on my springs. I don't keep track of them either, but I think I better start changing springs sooner than I think on my carry pistols.

medmo
02-16-2020, 01:19 AM
I had one break on an early 90’s 92G. Is it by chance an earlier spring? I understand that PB changed something in either design or material to improve the lifetime of the part.
Anyone else ever hear anything about that or know anything about it?
That’s the only one I’ve had break with my experience of multiple 92’s, thousands of rounds and countless dry firing. Wolff makes a trigger return spring “upgrade” that changes it out to a coiled spring. I don’t have any experienced with it but have thought about ordering one just to check it out.

CraigS
02-16-2020, 08:28 AM
I had one break on an early 90’s 92G. Is it by chance an earlier spring? I understand that PB changed something in either design or material to improve the lifetime of the part.
Anyone else ever hear anything about that or know anything about it?
That’s the only one I’ve had break with my experience of multiple 92’s, thousands of rounds and countless dry firing. Wolff makes a trigger return spring “upgrade” that changes it out to a coiled spring. I don’t have any experienced with it but have thought about ordering one just to check it out.
My understanding is that the springs break at the bend near the end. The original springs had one end w/ a bend and the other was straight. The current springs have both ends w/ a bend. Supposedly, if a spring breaks, you can remove it, turn it around, reinstall it and be back in action. Trooper where did yours break?

03RN
02-16-2020, 10:05 AM

When i sent them a picture of a broken flatwire recoil spring they said it was my fault.

JonInWA
02-16-2020, 10:25 AM
My understanding is that the springs break at the bend near the end. The original springs had one end w/ a bend and the other was straight. The current springs have both ends w/ a bend. Supposedly, if a spring breaks, you can remove it, turn it around, reinstall it and be back in action. Trooper where did yours break?

That only works if the spring breaks at the end-mine, and I suspect many of those earlier springs broke at the middle, where your only recourse is to replace it.

Best, Jon

Trooper224
02-16-2020, 10:34 AM
The gun is of 2013 manufacture. This was the second TRS, with the first one being replaced, with a new OEM spring, at 5k rounds as recommended. I intentionally let this one ride to see how long it would last. The arm contacting the trigger bar broke near the coil. No big controversy here guys, just a data point. Everything breaks eventually. If anything, this reinforces the wisdom in having a dedicated training gun.

As for the Wolff replacement unit. I've tried it and had problems with sluggish trigger return. I don't recommend it.

CraigS
02-16-2020, 10:47 AM
Well, so much for that old theory. Two people right here had theirs break at the coil. Thanks guys.

M2CattleCo
02-16-2020, 07:10 PM

In fullsize 1911s at least, those things have caused problems where previously none existed.

JonInWA
02-16-2020, 08:16 PM
I don't think that the flatwires pencil out anyhow in terms of cost-effectiveness; "regular" recoil springs are really pretty inexpensive, and with many/most flatwires, you're going to need a new recoil spring guide and plug as well as the flatwire recoil spring itself.

Best, Jon