PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas for Elderly Lady's House Revolver

Redhat
02-12-2020, 10:13 PM
Hi all,

I'm not a "revolver guy" so decided to post here looking for advice. I'm searching for revolver options for an elderly lady with limited grip strength. I suspect .38 Spl is max she might be able to shoot but the trigger can't be real heavy either. Something with enough barrel and weight to be shootable and useable sights...so no airweight snubbies for this one.

This would not be a CCW...just for the house.

Thanks

OlongJohnson
02-12-2020, 11:25 PM
We have multiple grandma/old person gun threads around here.

Redhat
02-13-2020, 12:25 AM
We have multiple grandma/old person gun threads around here.

So I take it you have no recommendations.

Thanks

Lester Polfus
02-13-2020, 12:34 AM
So I take it you have no recommendations.

Thanks

I think his recommendation was to search for those threads...

Yung
02-13-2020, 12:41 AM
Here you go, sir.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19156-Guns-for-the-elderly-arthritic-etc

JRB
02-13-2020, 02:24 AM
Having gone down this road with my Mom who's now in her 70's, The S&W 380 EZ was by far the best option and much easier for her to load, fire, and generally work with. She simply does not have the hand strength to effectively run a DA revolver.
The next step after the 380EZ would have been a Ruger 22/45 or similar .22 LR handgun. I didn't want to leave her with a .22 for obvious reasons, but I'd rather her have a weapon with which she is confident and capable than a weapon that intimidates her.

blues
02-13-2020, 09:12 AM
I think his recommendation was to search for those threads...

I guess Redhat will know how to respond to OJ when he next posts a question. There are ways of being helpful around here without the snark, imho.

Det1397
02-13-2020, 09:26 AM
Having gone down this road with my Mom who's now in her 70's, The S&W 380 EZ was by far the best option and much easier for her to load, fire, and generally work with. She simply does not have the hand strength to effectively run a DA revolver.
The next step after the 380EZ would have been a Ruger 22/45 or similar .22 LR handgun. I didn't want to leave her with a .22 for obvious reasons, but I'd rather her have a weapon with which she is confident and capable than a weapon that intimidates her.

^^^THIS^^^

And, FWIW, if she (or they) can handle the snappier recoil pulse, the new S&W M&P 9 SHIELD EZ...

BillSWPA
02-13-2020, 09:43 AM
Depending on what is or is not strong within the hands, a revolver may or may not be the best solution. About 40% of the females I have introduced to pistol shooting had difficulty with triggers of 9 lb. or more, and that is without getting into weak hand issues. I second the recommendation for the S&W .380 EZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnbkr
02-13-2020, 09:56 AM
One benefit of the revolver over the semi is simplified administrative handling.
Another is that it won't be ammo or grip dependent for functionality.
Downside is capacity.

I may be wrong, but I think a Ruger LCRx 3" in 357mag, loaded with 38 Wadcutters would be a good choice if the revolver is the ultimate choice. The 3" model has a larger grip and the 357mag version uses a steel frame, adding weight. I have found the 2" LCR38 to have less felt recoil than my S&W 37-2 even though the LCR38 is lighter. Adding more weight and larger/longer grips will further reduce felt recoil. Also, the LCR has one of the lightest triggers I've experienced in that class gun. It feels lighter than the modestly tuned triggers in my K-frames.

Chris

Jim Watson
02-13-2020, 11:13 AM
Before I get down into the weeds with this, how invested is said Lady in the selection, purchase, and use of a handgun?
My Mother was comforted by the mere presence of a loaded gun but she had no interest in training, practicing, shooting it. I still have her .22-32 Kit Gun.

Redhat
02-13-2020, 11:24 AM

Thanks JRB, that is about where I'm at and the 380EZ is a consideration. My concern there is the trigger may be a little too light. I'm also considering the .38 spl LCRx 3" bbl but once again, the light weight may not work recoil wise.

Redhat
02-13-2020, 11:30 AM
Depending on what is or is not strong within the hands, a revolver may or may not be the best solution. About 40% of the females I have introduced to pistol shooting had difficulty with triggers of 9 lb. or more, and that is without getting into weak hand issues. I second the recommendation for the S&W .380 EZ.

Thanks,

I agree about the DA trigger and right now that's one of the "unknowns". I have heard the Ruger LCRx has a decent DA pull but I don't have any personal experience. I'm not tring to pick the "one", just get some info to identify some options.

Redhat
02-13-2020, 11:35 AM
Before I get down into the weeds with this, how invested is said Lady in the selection, purchase, and use of a handgun?
My Mother was comforted by the mere presence of a loaded gun but she had no interest in training, practicing, shooting it. I still have her .22-32 Kit Gun.

She'll be very invested in selecting. Then probably shoot it a bit initially to see if she really likes it. Follow-on training / practice will be minimal after that...maybe a few times a year...of course I could be pleasantly surprised.

mtnbkr
02-13-2020, 11:41 AM
I'm also considering the .38 spl LCRx 3" bbl but once again, the light weight may not work recoil wise.
The 357mag version uses steel instead of aluminum for the frame, adding a couple ounces. Obviously one can shoot 38s in the 357mag, so you can still select lower recoil ammo.

Chris

Stephanie B
02-13-2020, 11:41 AM
.32 H&R or .327 revolver shooting .32 Long? Pair it with CT laser grips.

Redhat
02-13-2020, 11:43 AM
One benefit of the revolver over the semi is simplified administrative handling.
Another is that it won't be ammo or grip dependent for functionality.
Downside is capacity.

I may be wrong, but I think a Ruger LCRx 3" in 357mag, loaded with 38 Wadcutters would be a good choice if the revolver is the ultimate choice. The 3" model has a larger grip and the 357mag version uses a steel frame, adding weight. I have found the 2" LCR38 to have less felt recoil than my S&W 37-2 even though the LCR38 is lighter. Adding more weight and larger/longer grips will further reduce felt recoil. Also, the LCR has one of the lightest triggers I've experienced in that class gun. It feels lighter than the modestly tuned triggers in my K-frames.

Chris

Thanks,

The .357 version is one I hadn't known about.

I will say, last week at the indoor range, I was shown a new model Colt Cobra...don't know much about that gun but that DA trigger was very nice.

JonInWA
02-13-2020, 03:16 PM
Thanks,

The .357 version is one I hadn't known about.

I will say, last week at the indoor range, I was shown a new model Colt Cobra...don't know much about that gun but that DA trigger was very nice.

The 3" Colt Cobra feels and handles quite nicely, and has a vary manageable triggerpull. However, the jury is still very much out on durability and reliability. A Ruger LCR is a much more fielded and proven entity, as is a SP101.

Or, for that matter, one of the used Manhurin MR88s discussed in a separate concurrent thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?38848-Used-3in-Manurhin-MR88-s-at-Centerfire-Systems-449; that way she can havde what's reportedly an excellent, easy handling and recoil managing revolver-and be quite the community hipster. I'd get me one of them before the new Colt...

Best, Jon

OlongJohnson
02-13-2020, 05:12 PM
There are ways of being helpful around here without the snark, imho.

No snark intended from my end. But when I'm participating by phone, I'm not going to go search for a thread just to post a link. Doing that on a phone is a PITA. The information I posted is enough for anyone to go search and find the referenced threads if they are even kinda motivated. I don't feel burdened to do that for them.

Maybe I'm just crochety as I age, but when I want to find general information, my first step is to search and exhaust all the findable threads. I do a lot of that. Someone telling me the information I'm seeking should be easily findable is in most cases more than enough help for me to go find it. I don't have a huge amount of patience for someone who needs an easy search result spoon fed to them in the year 2020, anno domini.

blues
02-13-2020, 05:19 PM
No snark intended from my end. But when I'm participating by phone, I'm not going to go search for a thread just to post a link. Doing that on a phone is a PITA. The information I posted is enough for anyone to go search and find the referenced threads if they are even kinda motivated. I don't feel burdened to do that for them.

Maybe I'm just crochety as I age, but when I want to find general information, my first step is to search and exhaust all the findable threads. I do a lot of that. Someone telling me the information I'm seeking should be easily findable is in most cases more than enough help for me to go find it. I don't have a huge amount of patience for someone who needs an easy search result spoon fed to them in the year 2020, anno domini.

That's swell. You're a mensch.

(Feel free to ignore me, my posts and the occasional need for "fixing" any of my posts for me. That should solve our little issue with the do's and don'ts of online communication.)

Redhat
02-13-2020, 06:01 PM

For future reference, sometimes it's best to just not say anything...crochety old guy or not.

In fact, please ignore all my future posts.

358156hp
02-13-2020, 09:51 PM
I haven't handled one for ages, but I think Beretta still offers the Model 86 in .380. This is one of their smaller frame semi-auto pistols, and it has a tip-up barrel, so it's not necessary to manipulate the slide to load the chamber, check to see if the chamber is loaded, or to unload the chamber. I always though this would be a neat "folks" type gun. I do seem to recall that the triggers tend to run a bit heavy but like I said, it's been a while since I've handled one. I think Taurus makes a version of it as well. Anyway, something to consider if you can find one locally to check out.

BillSWPA
02-13-2020, 10:53 PM
I haven't handled one for ages, but I think Beretta still offers the Model 86 in .380. This is one of their smaller frame semi-auto pistols, and it has a tip-up barrel, so it's not necessary to manipulate the slide to load the chamber, check to see if the chamber is loaded, or to unload the chamber. I always though this would be a neat "folks" type gun. I do seem to recall that the triggers tend to run a bit heavy but like I said, it's been a while since I've handled one. I think Taurus makes a version of it as well. Anyway, something to consider if you can find one locally to check out.

Unfortunately I am typing this from my phone and do not have a good way to search for it, but I recall reading a thread, most likely in the semiauto forum, wherein a member here bought one of those and ended up throwing some cold water on this idea. I do not recall the exact reason, but it may have been recoil, which always feels less comfortable from a straight blowback than from a tilt barrel design or other design that permits the barrel to move rearward with the slide.

Yung
02-13-2020, 11:17 PM
Here is the thread in question.
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?39908-Future-Beretta-Langdon-Wish

Here is also JRB's thread with a similar premise.
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?12903-Pistol-selection-for-my-64-year-old-mother-any-advice-insight-appreciated

JRB
02-14-2020, 05:23 AM
Thanks JRB, that is about where I'm at and the 380EZ is a consideration. My concern there is the trigger may be a little too light. I'm also considering the .38 spl LCRx 3" bbl but once again, the light weight may not work recoil wise.

Another factor in catering to the shooter in question - what's 'too light' to us may be just manageable for her. If hand and wrist strength is compromised the focus MUST be on proper technique and handling.
In my Mother's case, with the 380EZ's grip safety and manual safety I was not concerned about the trigger pull weight. In fact, the light trigger is what made it manageable for her because she could focus her strength in proper primary grip, and use of the manual safety combined with proper safety fundamentals had good results, and ones I felt were very safe.

What is emphatically NOT safe is when the shooter must put all of their strength into the DA trigger pull. My Mom could not fire a single round on DA through a .32 Tomcat, and she could not make it through two cylinders on DA with a borrowed (and wonderfully smooth and slicked-up) S&W 686 loaded with mouse-fart 38's. Accuracy suffered immediately after the first round- all of her focus was on getting through the trigger pull and nothing else because that's all the strength she had. I'd guess that 686 couldn't have been over 7 or 8 lbs DA, it was a lovely example of the breed.

Meanwhile, she can shred half-dollar sized holes out of B8's at 7 yards with a .22/45 and she can load the mags and fully manipulate the weapon indefinitely without my help. The 380EZ has much snappier recoil but she can manage it well with a proper two handed grip and none of her focus or strength is taken from safety or marksmanship fundamentals just to run the weapon.

I wanted her to be armed with something that didn't intimidate her. I wanted it to make her feel safe and effective when she picked it up, because too many novice shooters get that proverbial J frame and are innately scared of it because the trigger pull is difficult and they don't feel confident with it.
I wanted as much of my Mom's focus as possible on the actual situation at hand, and I wanted the weapons handling and marksmanship part of 'the problem' to be a non-issue. That's why a .22LR was on the table, because I knew that she *KNEW* she could get a whole magazines worth of effective hits with minimal thought, which leaves a lot more brainpower available to navigate that terrifying defensive need at hand, that I hope never comes.

deflave
02-14-2020, 07:41 AM
Another vote for the EZ.

I know the OP asked about revolvers but it's a hard enough learning curve enough to get 20 year olds to shoot a DA revolver with any sort of consistency. Let alone old hands and eyes.

I think it is ingrained in our minds that snub nose .38 is an ideal chick/old person gun. But the reality is they're the total opposite. They're best left to the pros in my opinion.

Redhat
02-14-2020, 08:44 AM
Another factor in catering to the shooter in question - what's 'too light' to us may be just manageable for her. If hand and wrist strength is compromised the focus MUST be on proper technique and handling.
In my Mother's case, with the 380EZ's grip safety and manual safety I was not concerned about the trigger pull weight. In fact, the light trigger is what made it manageable for her because she could focus her strength in proper primary grip, and use of the manual safety combined with proper safety fundamentals had good results, and ones I felt were very safe.

What is emphatically NOT safe is when the shooter must put all of their strength into the DA trigger pull. My Mom could not fire a single round on DA through a .32 Tomcat, and she could not make it through two cylinders on DA with a borrowed (and wonderfully smooth and slicked-up) S&W 686 loaded with mouse-fart 38's. Accuracy suffered immediately after the first round- all of her focus was on getting through the trigger pull and nothing else because that's all the strength she had. I'd guess that 686 couldn't have been over 7 or 8 lbs DA, it was a lovely example of the breed.

Meanwhile, she can shred half-dollar sized holes out of B8's at 7 yards with a .22/45 and she can load the mags and fully manipulate the weapon indefinitely without my help. The 380EZ has much snappier recoil but she can manage it well with a proper two handed grip and none of her focus or strength is taken from safety or marksmanship fundamentals just to run the weapon.

I wanted her to be armed with something that didn't intimidate her. I wanted it to make her feel safe and effective when she picked it up, because too many novice shooters get that proverbial J frame and are innately scared of it because the trigger pull is difficult and they don't feel confident with it.
I wanted as much of my Mom's focus as possible on the actual situation at hand, and I wanted the weapons handling and marksmanship part of 'the problem' to be a non-issue. That's why a .22LR was on the table, because I knew that she *KNEW* she could get a whole magazines worth of effective hits with minimal thought, which leaves a lot more brainpower available to navigate that terrifying defensive need at hand, that I hope never comes.

Thanks.

It will all come down to what she likes and can use in the end. FWIW, she is not a new shooter and is pretty handy with a Henry 22 lever gun.

Time comes for us all and she asked me to help her find something more suitable to her current capabilities. We're going to go to the LGS today and start looking. I posted here because I know pretty much all the semi-autos out there...but not so much about the revolver side of the house.

oldtexan
02-14-2020, 08:55 AM
My wife handled an EZ380, but found that she simply couldn't rack the slide and lock it back without a mag in place.

She is able to handle the DA trigger on her LCRx in .327 Mag. When loaded with .32 S&W Longs or .32 H&R Magnums, she can go about 50 rds. She hasn't tried any .327 loads, and isn't likely to.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-14-2020, 09:18 AM
327 rounds are surprising loud and have a kick. I've mentioned before that I shot a SW 632 in a match. I was shooting 32 Longs but then had to deal with some steel poppers (which in the past sneered at the Longs). I planned out a load of 327s when I got to them. When I fired the SO was startled as was the crowd, he and they thought I had blown up!

Don't recommend them for shooters as described. Not worth the effort.

Stephanie B
02-14-2020, 09:28 AM
There seem to be some effective .32 H&R Magnum (https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/pocket-pistol-caliber-gel-test-results/#32HRMag) offerings.

With .32 Long, it's wadcutters or FMJs (https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/pocket-pistol-caliber-gel-test-results/#32Long).

vcdgrips
02-14-2020, 09:50 AM
From a response made to a similar OP in 12/19

"Late to the party. Most respectfully: a reload is highly unlikely and would be too slow to be outcome changing-

manipulation on any firearm is going to be a real challenge- recoil for any follow up shots at speed is going to be a challenge-

any malfunction clearance in an auto loader is going to be a real challenge- therefore a tuned .22 revolver- S&W Model 317 or Model 63. Both have 8 shots."

Edited to add

perhaps a .22 caliber 10/22 etc with a red dot as it is never going outside of the house as per the OP.

different ammo lots to minimize rimfire malfunction issue

the ideal solution here is not likely to be particularly inexpensive relative to telling someone to buy a Glock police turn in and rocking on.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-14-2020, 10:19 AM
Holding up a long arm for any length of time is a problem for weaker people. For folks not practiced, having also to manipulate lights, phones, alarms, etc. with a long arm is troublesome. Moving with one takes practice. If we go 22 LR, the handgun is better, IMHO.

Dave J
02-14-2020, 10:28 AM
Or, for that matter, one of the used Manhurin MR88s discussed in a separate concurrent thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?38848-Used-3in-Manurhin-MR88-s-at-Centerfire-Systems-449; that way she can havde what's reportedly an excellent, easy handling and recoil managing revolver-and be quite the community hipster. I'd get me one of them before the new Colt...

Best, Jon

FWIW, the DA pull on my MR-88 measured at about 11 pounds, but I suspect you could go quite a bit lighter with the mainspring and still maintain reliability if using Federal primers. The gun itself weighs a bit over two pounds, so it’d soak up recoil much better than the LCR, if she can point it and manage the trigger.

Chuck Whitlock
02-14-2020, 11:47 AM
I've posted before about my petite mom selecting a Browning 1911-380.

I was at the range with my folks last week. She has a macular "hole" in her vision and has real trouble seeing the front sight. As her pistol has a railed frame, I attached a cheapo light/laser unit that my dad had. She was able to hold the laser much steadier that I'd have thought, and was able to be fairly consistent, so they will be looking for a CT Rail Master or Rail Master Pro. I only wish that a version with front strap activation was available for her.

Hence, these two SKUs from S&W seem particularly attractive as one-and-done options:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-380-shield-ez-crimson-trace-green-laserguard-manual-thumb-safety

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-shield-ez-manual-thumb-safety-crimson-trace-red-laserguard

If I had more disposable income, I'd buy one of each just for new shooters to try out. I will likely adjust my budget to make that happen.

scjbash
02-14-2020, 12:14 PM
A potential issue with the 380 EZ that at least one other member and I have ran into is that they are, or at least can be, very prone to limp wristing related stoppages. Which is a bit of a bummer considering the gun's target audience.

scjbash
02-14-2020, 12:19 PM
I've posted before about my petite mom selecting a Browning 1911-380.

I was at the range with my folks last week. She has a macular "hole" in her vision and has real trouble seeing the front sight. As her pistol has a railed frame, I attached a cheapo light/laser unit that my dad had. She was able to hold the laser much steadier that I'd have thought, and was able to be fairly consistent, so they will be looking for a CT Rail Master or Rail Master Pro. I only wish that a version with front strap activation was available for her.

Hence, these two SKUs from S&W seem particularly attractive as one-and-done options:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-380-shield-ez-crimson-trace-green-laserguard-manual-thumb-safety

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-shield-ez-manual-thumb-safety-crimson-trace-red-laserguard

If I had more disposable income, I'd buy one of each just for new shooters to try out. I will likely adjust my budget to make that happen.

These could be improved over the lasers used on the Bodyguards but after seeing the CT units fly apart on two different students' guns (both with extremely low round counts) I wouldn't have much faith in them without getting hands on them first.

UNK
02-14-2020, 01:47 PM
This will probably get shot down for any number of reasons but what about a ruger charger. Assuming a house gun.

https://ruger.com/products/22Charger/models.html

Redhat
02-14-2020, 03:06 PM
So no disrespect to the revolver devotees but it looks like the S&W .380EZ will work. She can do all the manipulations without trouble, now if she can shoot it we'll be set.

I did see a nifty LNIB, M10 4" HB in the used case...DA trigger was excellent!

Stephanie B
02-14-2020, 09:30 PM
So no disrespect to the revolver devotees but it looks like the S&W .380EZ will work. She can do all the manipulations without trouble, now if she can shoot it we'll be set.

I did see a nifty LNIB, M10 4" HB in the used case...DA trigger was excellent!

And it's still in the used case? Tsk, tsk.

Redhat
02-14-2020, 10:08 PM
And it's still in the used case? Tsk, tsk.

Yep $500+

Jim Watson
02-14-2020, 10:34 PM
I have seen but do not endorse Ladies shooting DA-SA revolvers single action. Couple ADs, too.
Also shooting DA-SA autos with both forefingers on the tough DA first shot.

BillSWPA
02-14-2020, 11:53 PM
I have seen but do not endorse Ladies shooting DA-SA revolvers single action. Couple ADs, too.
Also shooting DA-SA autos with both forefingers on the tough DA first shot.

I know a lady who has wrist problems and prefers revolvers for the way they recoil. She uses both index fingers on the trigger of her husband’s 4” 686 while shooting .38 spl. double action. She can make it work and I strongly prefer this to nothing, but it would not be my first choice.

Stephanie B
02-15-2020, 06:57 AM
Yep $500+
Oh, my. Good place for it.

Redhat
02-15-2020, 09:41 AM
Oh, my. Good place for it.

I think it was practically new...one out of their Classic line.

Stephanie B
02-15-2020, 11:18 AM
I think it was practically new...one out of their Classic line.

I'd not pay $500 for a Model 10 with an IL. There are plenty of nice ones out there that are not so afflicted.

Redhat
02-15-2020, 12:01 PM
I'd not pay $500 for a Model 10 with an IL. There are plenty of nice ones out there that are not so afflicted.

I'm not paying $500+ for any handgun these days...I don't mind waiting for the right deal.