PDA

View Full Version : Top 20 Most Dangerous Jobs in The USA

Nightvisionary
02-08-2020, 05:05 PM
#4 kind of surprised me but I guess when things go wrong they go very wrong.

https://www.ishn.com/articles/110496-most-dangerous-jobs-in-the-us-the-top-20

txdpd
02-08-2020, 05:19 PM

I’ve seen some revised statistics, that if commercial passenger carrying airlines are excluded, the numbers are close to logging.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/13/colgan-air-crash-10-years-ago-reshaped-us-aviation-safety.html

It’s combined statistics from two very different worlds, where one side hasn’t had a fatal crash in almost 11 years and the other is driving the stats.

Totem Polar
02-08-2020, 05:32 PM
Man. Every time I see one of these lists, I’m amazed at how little money people often get paid for hard jobs that could kill them. Don’t get me wrong: I’m both a performing artist, and an adjunct university instructor, so it’s not like I’m Mr 1 percenter either, but I probably won’t get crushed to death between, say, a ‘cello and a tuba anytime, ever.

Borderland
02-08-2020, 05:36 PM
I used to work with people who had been loggers. Actually worked on a job where some loggers were dropping some 36" firs for awhile. Fallers and choker setters get hurt frequently.

The highest paid individuals I knew were pile bucks that had to work under water. I think they were well paid because it was actually more dangerous than logging. WA L&I thinks pile bucks are #1 at risk for an injury. That's some crazy shit.

Alpha Sierra
02-08-2020, 05:46 PM
Wanna talk dangerous?

How about saturation diving, particularly from a ship that's held in place only by its station-keeping systems.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80215139

Nightvisionary
02-08-2020, 06:46 PM
Wanna talk dangerous?

How about saturation diving, particularly from a ship that's held in place only by its station-keeping systems.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80215139

I can think of several jobs that are extremely unforgiving with a high likelihood of a quick death if mistakes are made but are not on the list because of a highly ingrained and enforced safety culture, training, and substance abuse testing. One that comes to mind are railroad workers. Although RR maintenance workers made the list RR transportation (Engineers, switchmen, and freight conductors) did not. In the first half of the 20th century tens of thousands were killed resulting in the General Code of Operating Rules, aka the rules written in blood.

JAD
02-08-2020, 07:08 PM
I probably won’t get crushed to death between, say, a ‘cello and a tuba anytime, ever.

Your lips to God’s ears.

Totem Polar
02-08-2020, 07:16 PM
Your lips to God’s ears.

Don’t start none; won’t be none.

blues
02-08-2020, 07:20 PM
Man. Every time I see one of these lists, I’m amazed at how little money people often get paid for hard jobs that could kill them. Don’t get me wrong: I’m both a performing artist, and an adjunct university instructor, so it’s not like I’m Mr 1 percenter either, but I probably won’t get crushed to death between, say, a ‘cello and a tuba anytime, ever.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31Gk6NueExL.jpg

"Not so fast, amigo..."

BobM
02-08-2020, 08:16 PM
I'm surprised power company linemen aren't on the list.

Borderland
02-08-2020, 08:47 PM
I'm surprised power company linemen aren't on the list.

Around here they have good unions and super good pensions. Nobody wants to retire with a medical disability before they get their 30 in. The old timers usually make the new hires work the wire and make sure they know when their fucking up.

Welder
02-08-2020, 09:06 PM
I've held over half of those jobs in my life. And am a self-employed welder right now. I didn't even know I had a death wish.

But I guess that also explains how I personally knew several men that have been killed on the job.

There's no heroic burial or 21-gun salute for the guys I work with when they bite it.

blues
02-08-2020, 09:10 PM
I've held over half of those jobs in my life. And am a self-employed welder right now. I didn't even know I had a death wish.

But I guess that also explains how I personally knew several men that have been killed on the job.

There's no heroic burial or 21-gun salute for the guys I work with when they bite it.

When you're a welder it's understood that your life is in flux.

Borderland
02-08-2020, 09:31 PM
When you're a welder it's understood that your life is in flux.

Not to mention it's electrifying.

GJM
02-08-2020, 11:04 PM

Numbers 1-4 are Alaska’s core job categories.

GearFondler
02-08-2020, 11:10 PM
So I'm only #15 on the list but lead everyone in total actual deaths by an exponential percentage... Thank God I make way more than the listed salary.

Lester Polfus
02-08-2020, 11:27 PM
Numbers 1-4 are Alaska’s core job categories.

Everybody I talked to that fished in Alaska knew somebody that got killed in the Gulf or the Bering, and a fair number of them had gotten helped out by the Coast Guard at one time or another themselves. I personally participated in pulling 4 guys out of the water, and medivacced at least half a dozen more with things like hooks in the eye and de-gloved fingers. We also sailed around for a week with a guy in our reefer who died of appendicitis on a fishing boat.

Six of us had our steak dinners paid for by an anonymous benefactor who tumbled to the fact that we were Coasties, and I couldn't tell you the amount of free beer I've consumed.

There was also that one time where twenty bleeding Coasties were sitting on one side of a Kodiak street in the freezing rain outside a bar, while thirty or more bleeding fishermen were sitting on the other, while two Kodiak cops with riot guns stood in the middle, but there were extenuating circumstances.

Greg
02-09-2020, 08:34 AM
Sewer workers surprised me.

Old Virginia
02-09-2020, 08:50 AM
Well my Brother was on a Oiler for a few years. Was a High Rise Steel worker. Said he had a buddy just walk off a beam one day), a Guide on a Raft boat down the Grand Canyon, worked for a paving crew, and was a Forrest Fire Fighter. Still Kicking. His son has already done two tours in Afghanistan. He also spent a few winters in Utah driving a snow Blower,rounded up wild horses. Told me that if he had to sit behind a desk all day he would be dead within a week.

The Little guy in front of the Truck Tire.

https://i.imgur.com/NARPuqZ.jpg?2

Suvorov
02-09-2020, 11:57 AM
Before I got hired by the airlines I flew cargo and bank work for one of the larger companies in that business. The flying was done single pilot in instrument conditions in mountainous terrain in fairly complex aircraft without auto pilots. Some airplanes had weather radar but most didn’t. All airplanes were very very well used hand me-downs from regional airlines. Despite having 1300 hours just to get the job, most of us were new pilots at the beginning of our aviation careers and really still stupid. During the 14 months I flew their my company had 3 hull losses (crashes that destroyed the airplane), two of them were fatal. Out pilot group was about 100 pilots. There were days I would strap into my bird for a flight down the Sierras and think to myself WTF am I doing? I left for the first good regional airline that offered me a job.

At the time I was still in the Army Guard and we were deploying guys to A-Stan and Iraq constantly. My family was worried that I would be sent somewhere bad. The irony was that I was statistically far safer in theater than I was flying my job.

blues
02-09-2020, 12:14 PM
Working at TTI must have just missed the list at #21.

Being a "shitty mod" also somehow missed making the grade. :confused:

Lester Polfus
02-09-2020, 12:23 PM
Told me that if he had to sit behind a desk all day he would be dead within a week.

https://i.imgur.com/NARPuqZ.jpg?2

As I'm fighting to stay healthy in my late 40s, I wonder what those statistics would look like if they included "people who get diabetes or coronary artery disease because they sit on their ass all day at work."

awp_101
02-09-2020, 01:42 PM
but I probably won’t get crushed to death between, say, a ‘cello and a tuba anytime, ever.

Then you're doing band/orchestra wrong...

Sero Sed Serio
02-09-2020, 05:46 PM
Being a "shitty mod" also somehow missed making the grade. :confused:

I actually clicked in here to make that joke, only to find out that my PF puns nemesis beat me to it

*Shakes fist at blues again...*

blues
02-09-2020, 05:52 PM
I actually clicked in here to make that joke, only to find out that my PF puns nemesis beat me to it

*Shakes fist at blues again...*

https://youtu.be/-ROW1Jph3Bg

jellydonut
02-10-2020, 02:58 AM
#3. I guess that is technically one of the reasons I quit and decided to study, but it wasn't even in the top 3 of reasons..

Dan_S
02-10-2020, 03:23 AM
#3. I guess that is technically one of the reasons I quit and decided to study, but it wasn't even in the top 3 of reasons..

When I move along from my current...occupation...this is what I want to get into. I’ve always been fascinated by the ocean, and sailing. Spending a couple days in the gulf of Maine on a sailboat, I’m hooked. Got my TWIC card recently, and at some point want to pursue getting my six-pack...

Hambo
02-10-2020, 02:01 PM
Sewer workers surprised me.

Working below grade is dangerous. Trench collapses because such a problem in the late '90s that the FD had to get a whole bunch of specific gear/tools to have any chance of making a rescue. They would use the city's vac trucks to get a lot of dirt off the trapped workers quickly. The state safety agency then mandated the use of certain equipment and procedures to protect workers.