PDA

View Full Version : Glock rear sight issue...

Le Français
05-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Hello all,

The rear sight (Warren Tactical) on a G17 of mine was installed by a gunsmith using red loctite on the set screw. Unfortunately, the sight was not correctly centered, and now the pistol shoots slightly left (it really is the sight, not me). Clumsily, I stripped the screw head while trying to remove it; I had heated the area first, but all to no avail.

My question: To what reputable gunsmith/sight installer can I send my slide to have the screw removed, the sight centered, and another screw put in place with a slightly less permanent threadlock adhesive compound substance?

Thank you.

orionz06
05-07-2012, 10:09 AM
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2556-Screw-Extractors

Works like a charm.

dickmadison
05-07-2012, 02:25 PM
blue loctite should have been used. Red was not a good idea.

Le Français
05-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Does anyone here have experience sending their slides to someone for sight installation? Any recommendations?

orionz06
05-08-2012, 11:27 AM
I could probably take care of it for ya.

5pins
05-08-2012, 02:44 PM
What did you heat it with? Like dickmadison said red should not have been used.

EricP
05-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Just about any machine shop should be able to remove the screw. They may even be able to do it while you wait if they have a mill open.

If you have one of those mini blow torches (powered by a lighter) or a higher powered soldering iron, you might want to bring it.

Le Français
05-13-2012, 09:22 PM
I could probably take care of it for ya.

I'm sorry to respond so late; I've been busy with work and related training. I do very much appreciate your kind offer though.

I will be looking into having it fixed locally, but I will contact you again if that doesn't work out.

orionz06
05-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Site supporter info is outta whack for me, gotta get it sorted out.

Mike Honcho
05-15-2012, 06:55 PM
I've been trying to get a Warren rear onto my G19 for a couple of days now, I've only been able to get it about halfway into the dovetail. I don't have a sight pusher, I've tried tapping it in with a hammer, pressing it in with a vise. The only place around here that does this kind of stuff has a rear sight tool, but the Warren is apparently too tall to fit in the tool. I'm officially at the end of my rope.

Does anybody have a tool they could loan me?

JV_
05-15-2012, 06:59 PM
If it's that tight, you probably need to fit it. You can just use a file and take some off the bottom, evenly, until you can get it to on. I use a large file so I can move the entire sight across it - all at once. I wipe it clean and retest every few passes.